Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ole_bjorne posted:

Hello New Yorkers!

I am considering visiting NY for first time, for ~3 nights around Christmas with my wife and have couple of questions and need some recommendations:
1. Worth going there for Christmas at all - will everything be closed?
Not a New Yorker, but I visit often, including in December every year. No, plenty of stuff should be open (though not sure if museums and such will be open on Christmas day). The city is worth seeing around Christmas.

quote:

2. What to do in general - i.e. just roam around the city, or focus on visiting theaters, museums?
Spend at least the first day roaming. The tree at Rockefeller Center is impressive, but you sure as hell better be okay with crowds (like, shoulder-to-shoulder-30-minutes-to-walk-50-feet crowds). If you want to look at ice skaters, go to Central Park. Go there anyway, the view of the Plaza over the pond is stereotypically Christmasy ever since Home Alone 2. The carriage horses wear wreaths, too :3:

You can go to a museum or show if you want, but really, with only 3 days you won't get bored just roaming and taking it all in.

quote:

3. Any particular must-see during this time?
I think MoMA also has a tree. Central Park is a must, and since you've never been to NYC, Times Square (again, be okay with crowds and don't bother going in any stores), maybe FAO Schwarz, all the typical buildings, shopping if you're into that.

quote:

4. We will probably stay on Manhattan, so we don't need car I assume

No, definitely not. Just get metrocards and a subway map. Wear comfortable shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokerJoe
Apr 30, 2007
Aces Low
Hi Everyone!

We are heading over from London on 17th Dec until 21st Dec and staying at the Hudson Hotel.

Information has been great but can anyone advise:

How likely are our chance to get discount theatre tickets on the 17th? We wanted to see Book of Mormon or Memphis but I assume its like London where you can get cheap deals (if not best seats) from third party vendors.

Are there any particularly good areas for shopping? Department stores, outlets etc

We want one seriously good modern American meal. I thought Per Se but we can't get in. On the same note where can we get a great brunch?

We are probably going to go to Brooklyn Bowl as a friend in Stamford wants to try it out on Sunday - anything else around there worth doing?

Sure I'll have more questions but gimmie answers!

Thanks

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Hello NY thread!

I just spent an amazing week in NYC. It was my first trip (of many I hope) and I stayed at Hotel Azure which is on Canal and Lafayette street in China Town. It was a great place for me, right in the action and right next to the subway so I could be anywhere in the city within minutes.

My highlights were the Empire State building. The views really are amazing and I hit it about half past ten on a Thursday morning so my queue was only about half an hour.

Riding on the subway, while I'm sure gets old for people living there, is fun and a really convenient way to get around for those of us that are just visiting. Plus there are some great buskers on the subway.

I took a trip to the Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn too which was kind of cool, lots of old head stones, some for people that died in the Civil War, plus has good views of the Manhattan sky line.

The Spotted Pig in Greenwich Village has an awesome burger and super friendly service. I had to wait 45 mins for my burger (about 2pm on a Friday or Saturday), but the bar guy was really friendly and willing to shoot the poo poo, he even bought me a beer.

Apart from that, as has already been said in this thread, just wondering around is so cool. There is so much stuff to see and experience. I spent a week there but I could easily have spent two had I enough money and time!

Have a great time everyone!

emtoor
Feb 11, 2010
Hello fellow NY goons

My girlfriend and I are flying out there for Dec. 28 - Jan. 03 to meet up with some of her friends and mine for a birthday.

Was wondering if there are any fun activities going on for New Years that won't break the bank? Obviously seeing the ball drop will be on our todo list. Maybe looking for a lively chain of bars to hop around to since we both just turned 21. I checked to see about getting SNL tickets but that just seems out of the question now. Maybe a broadway?? Never seen one.

Also! Cheap fashion?!? I know it's ironic but I'd love to go shopping for some clothes without buying $200 t-shirts. Does this exist anywhere in the fashion capital?

Thanks to the thread already I have a pretty nice list of Museums and restaurants to visit! We also plan to go ice skating in Central park!

Any help appreciated!

wordmuncher
Mar 11, 2005
1. You will have to get very lucky to find Book of Mormon tickets, but you can likely pick-up Memphis tickets at a TKTS booth. I recommend the one in South Street Seaport as there is hardly ever a line (http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56), but the one in Times Square is centrally located in case you'd rather not take the subway trip (I estimate that Times Square takes twice as long including the subway trip). Avoid buying tickets from scalpers unless you're feeling lucky/generous - New York has had a good number of fake ticket schemes that apparently never get old.

2. It depends very much on what you want to buy and your price-point:
2a. For higher-end/expensive clothes check-out SoHo (specifically the area approximately two blocks east/west of Broadway between Houston and Grand St.) and the fancy department stores on Fifth Avenue, e.g., Bergdorf-Goodman, Bloomingdales.
2b. For a slightly cheaper option try Macy's on Herald Square (a huge department store and not cheap, but it's not Bloomingdale's).
2c. For good clothes bargains I recommend UniQlo, a Japanese brand that recently opened a flag-ship store in New York. They have three stores in the city and offer cool, inexpensive clothes. Century 21 is another gigantic store, but offers some of the lowest prices - it's similar to Marshall's/TJ Maxx, but it's really a New York institution, PLUS it's right next to Ground Zero and Zuccotti Park (where Occupy Wall St occupied).
2d. For Camera equipment check-out B&H Photo or Adorama.
2e. For miscellaneous electronics head to J&R

3. There are tons of good restaurants in New York that offer great food. 11 Madison Park is one of New York's most highly regarded restaurants, but it will also be hard to get reservations there. If you're interested in finding a list of top-restaurants in New York, I recommend reading through the nymag.com and nytimes.com top restaurant reviews. One of my personal favorite restaurants (and possibly the cheapest single Michelin star restaurant) is Spotted Pig (http://thespottedpig.com/)

PokerJoe posted:

Hi Everyone!

We are heading over from London on 17th Dec until 21st Dec and staying at the Hudson Hotel.

Information has been great but can anyone advise:

How likely are our chance to get discount theatre tickets on the 17th? We wanted to see Book of Mormon or Memphis but I assume its like London where you can get cheap deals (if not best seats) from third party vendors.

Are there any particularly good areas for shopping? Department stores, outlets etc

We want one seriously good modern American meal. I thought Per Se but we can't get in. On the same note where can we get a great brunch?

We are probably going to go to Brooklyn Bowl as a friend in Stamford wants to try it out on Sunday - anything else around there worth doing?

Sure I'll have more questions but gimmie answers!

Thanks

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
I went to ny almost a year ago (spent last christmas+new year there, it was my first time going) and loved it.

One thing I recommend, but probably it's more for non-us residents, is going to a NY Knicks game, even if you don't care much about basketball.
I like basketball so I knew I wanted to go to an nba game if I had the chance. My girlfriend doesn't really care about it so she was just "meh" about it, but I managed to convince her to go. She left MSG loving it.
It was really fun, it seemed like a huge show which also had some dudes playing basketball.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

ole_bjorne posted:

Hello New Yorkers!

I am considering visiting NY for first time, for ~3 nights around Christmas with my wife and have couple of questions and need some recommendations:
1. Worth going there for Christmas at all - will everything be closed?
2. What to do in general - i.e. just roam around the city, or focus on visiting theaters, museums?
3. Any particular must-see during this time?
4. We will probably stay on Manhattan, so we don't need car I assume

It's tourist season. No way in hell people are going to be closed unless it's literally Christmas Eve.

I personally think Flushing's Chinatown (take the 7 "purple" train up into Queens) is one of the better Chinatowns in the country and is very worth seeing. Bring cash (no credit cards) and an appetite.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I'll be in NYC for the Pinstripe Bowl and plan to stick around for NYE. I'm looking for something along the lines of the Deadmau5, Avicii, Laidback Luke shows that are that night but with tickets in the $100 range. Any recommendations?

emtoor
Feb 11, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

I don't have archives so can I bump for things to do around New Year's Eve? Is it worth the headache to go to Times Square for the ball drop? It's sort of a bucket list thing for my boyfriend and I. We're staying with my cousin in Manhattan and cooking meals at her place, bringing our own booze/pre-gaming, and taking Megabus so we're doing this cheap. The boyfriend will have about $200-300 and I will have about $400-500. Not much, but we'll probably end up staying most nights in since we're not big bar/club people (will probably be too tired to walk anywhere at night anyway).

Does Central Park get a special treatment around Christmas or if someone could recommend a park for a great light show? Will definitely be visiting the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Plaza.

I'm thinking a live indie show for one night as we both love underground music, and we're art museum and general museum junkies. MOMA is on the list. Also do the nerdy/touristy things like a visit to the giant toy stores and mega stores.

I'll be going with more to spend so I'm looking for consignment stores to shop for used designer clothing. Oh and sweet, sweet record stores. It's looking like Dec 28/29-Jan 3/4 for our time span there.

You drat near described my exact situation. My girlfriend and I are staying at a friends in Brooklyn Dec/29 - Jan 4

Looking for record shops and would like to see some live performance that doesn't break the bank. We are for sure going to MOMA and Kiddingaround toy store. I know my gf is gonna wanna shop for some cheap designer clothes as well so this should be fun ><

Also ice skating in Central Park would be ideal!

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

emtoor posted:

Also ice skating in Central Park would be ideal!

They might still be doing ice skating in Bryant Park as well if Central Park gets really crowded (which it probably will).

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Anyone have any good Hungarian restaurant recommendations?

Lorien Gondolphin
Mar 3, 2011

I have noticed that there are quite a few couples traveling to NYC. If you are willing to try or already like Egyptian style cuisine, then I must highly recommend having a meal at Casa La Femme. http://www.casalafemmeny.com/
For the romantic dinner, reserve the white tents for dinner. Trust me, you will not regret it. You can get a 4 course meal for $55.00. The food is wonderful!! There is also an A La Carte menu, but you cannot reserve the tents for that. To compliment the meal, the atmosphere is just incredible.

nyc227
May 8, 2009

Maximusi posted:

Anyone have any good Hungarian restaurant recommendations?

Korzo Haus in the east village has excellant Hungarian burgers

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Perhaps an unusual question for this thread - what is the good place to buy good ski jackets/pants in NY? We will be staying in Manhattan.

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
REI is what I'd suggest - http://www.yelp.com/biz/rei-manhattan

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

brijacked posted:

REI is what I'd suggest - http://www.yelp.com/biz/rei-manhattan

Great, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's also a Patagonia shop and an Eastern Mountain Sports in SoHo. And Paragon Sports near Union Square.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

About 15 years ago, I was living in Maryland and was offered a job to tear down some communications equipment from the roof of a building in NYC. That was my first and only trip to NYC, and I wasn't the driver, so I had no idea where in NYC I was. I have two pictures from that trip and would be thankful if somebody could pinpoint which building I was on.

Here is the first one:

This one is taken 90 degrees to the left of the first one. I have no idea which direction either of these pictures was taken, but if the first one was facing south, then this one would be facing east.

I'm not at all familiar with the buildings of NYC, so this my be kind of dumb, but is that the Empire State building just to the right of the New Yorker building in the fist picture? What is the other tall building just to the right of that?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

SkunkDuster posted:

About 15 years ago, I was living in Maryland and was offered a job to tear down some communications equipment from the roof of a building in NYC. That was my first and only trip to NYC, and I wasn't the driver, so I had no idea where in NYC I was. I have two pictures from that trip and would be thankful if somebody could pinpoint which building I was on.
First picture is facing southeast somewhere around 35th and 10th

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

dominator posted:

First picture is facing southeast somewhere around 35th and 10th

Pretty sure you're on this roof.

Google Earth 3d buildings makes this super easy for New York pictures (but dominator's hint helped a lot). That was fun and I kinda want to do more!

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm not at all familiar with the buildings of NYC, so this my be kind of dumb, but is that the Empire State building just to the right of the New Yorker building in the fist picture? What is the other tall building just to the right of that?

Yes, that is the empire state building. As for the other, if you're talking about the tall building in the background where you can just barely make out the spire, that's the Chrysler building. If you're talking about the boxy building closer to the foreground with the ambigram of "1" in red, that's One Penn Plaza.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bam thwok posted:

Yes, that is the empire state building. As for the other, if you're talking about the tall building in the background where you can just barely make out the spire, that's the Chrysler building. If you're talking about the boxy building closer to the foreground with the ambigram of "1" in red, that's One Penn Plaza.

Are you sure that's the Chrysler?

Looking East from the West side, wouldn't the Chrysler be to the left of the ESB? It's about 10 blocks to the north after all.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Erwin posted:

Pretty sure you're on this roof.

Google Earth 3d buildings makes this super easy for New York pictures (but dominator's hint helped a lot). That was fun and I kinda want to do more!

Wow, you nailed it! I remember those triangular things up on the roof. That second picture was a repeater on the north corner. Thank you very much!

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Are you sure that's the Chrysler?

Looking East from the West side, wouldn't the Chrysler be to the left of the ESB? It's about 10 blocks to the north after all.

Well I'm not sure any more

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

karl fungus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 24, 2015

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
I think you'll probably get better answers in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032497&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 plus someone there will probably show you around, quite a lot of those guys meet up weekly.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
A friend (and fellow goon) is hosting my boyfriend and I for about a week in January. She lives near the Hewlett stop on LIRR. I was thinking I was just going to pick up a 7-day metro pass and that would be that, but apparently it doesn't work on LIRR :(
What's the best route fare-wise to go, assuming we'll be going to and coming back from the city at least 5 times during our trip there and going all over the place in the city?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
C'mon, guys! Give me some advice!

KITTAH
Jul 1, 2008

I'll take your books and sell them for drugs!
A buddy and I will be visiting NYC for 2.5 days in early-mid January. Both of us have never been and do not want to visit the touristy stuff (I can do that later in life). We are both college bros who want to experience the cool poo poo of NYC.

Any suggestions?

I'll be browsing through this thread for cool stuff.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobula posted:

A friend (and fellow goon) is hosting my boyfriend and I for about a week in January. She lives near the Hewlett stop on LIRR. I was thinking I was just going to pick up a 7-day metro pass and that would be that, but apparently it doesn't work on LIRR :(
What's the best route fare-wise to go, assuming we'll be going to and coming back from the city at least 5 times during our trip there and going all over the place in the city?

mta.info

N32 bus to Central & Mott, walk .07 miles to the A train station. $2.25 total and takes about 90min. Or you can take the LIRR and pay $10 and it only seems to save 20min or so.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

two_beer_bishes posted:

mta.info

N32 bus to Central & Mott, walk .07 miles to the A train station. $2.25 total and takes about 90min. Or you can take the LIRR and pay $10 and it only seems to save 20min or so.

See, telling the MTA site to find me a route gave me a 45 minute trip from Hewlett to Penn via LIRR for $7-something and no alternate routes. Cost isn't an issue, within reason, but time is (I may die spending hours on the train per day) so I think I may get an unlimited week Metro card and a 10-trip LIRR card and spend about $85 on transport for the week. Do transfers count as another trip?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobula posted:

See, telling the MTA site to find me a route gave me a 45 minute trip from Hewlett to Penn via LIRR for $7-something and no alternate routes. Cost isn't an issue, within reason, but time is (I may die spending hours on the train per day) so I think I may get an unlimited week Metro card and a 10-trip LIRR card and spend about $85 on transport for the week. Do transfers count as another trip?

I don't know about the LIRR, I've only taken it a few times. Usually transfers between the bus and subway are free. If you go to the MTA website you can change how it routes you, depending on time, cost, or number of transfer. Also remember that once you're on the subway you can get all over Manhattan and Brooklyn (well, the entire subway system) for the cost of one fare, where you are limited on the LIRR by those stations (not many on Manhattan or Brooklyn compared to the subway).

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Potentially going to NYC for three days, four nights in March. 75 dollars a day for food and drink is feasible isn't it?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Potentially going to NYC for three days, four nights in March. 75 dollars a day for food and drink is feasible isn't it?

Dear god, I hope so. I'm planning on spending less than half of that @_@

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

I was in NY for three days on Christmas. Your advices, guys, were great. Thank you. I really enjoyed the city.

As for $75 - from my experience it is very feasible. You can always go to any deli buffet or some snack shack and have good amount of reasonable quality food for $14-20 pp.

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

Anyone have recommendations for a decent Mexican place in Greenpoint? Thinking about maybe either Vamos Al Tequila or Calexio. Thoughts?

edit: ended up going to Vamos Al Tequila - good and cheap

SHARTING BEAR fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 7, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Anyone know any good open mic (music) venues in NYC? I have a list of possibles via Google but I'd rather some recommendations from human beings.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
Going from JFK to the Sheraton Brooklyn (228 Duffield Street), it looks like I can:

Take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station, take the LIRR to Atlantic Station and be a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Can anyone verify if this is worth it (cost < $10) versus just taking a cab ($45)?

And is it safe?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

roop posted:

Going from JFK to the Sheraton Brooklyn (228 Duffield Street), it looks like I can:

Take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station, take the LIRR to Atlantic Station and be a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Can anyone verify if this is worth it (cost < $10) versus just taking a cab ($45)?

And is it safe?

You could also take the airtrain to Howard Beach and hop on the A train to Jay Street, probably save you a few bucks. Don't forget that in addition to the LIRR fare you're stuck paying $5 to get off the airtrain at Jamaica and Howard Beach.

Is it safe? Yeah, I take the A train from howard beach all the time and used to take the airtrain every day for work and I've never had problems. Walking around Jay street area will be no problem either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances

two_beer_bishes posted:

You could also take the airtrain to Howard Beach and hop on the A train to Jay Street, probably save you a few bucks. Don't forget that in addition to the LIRR fare you're stuck paying $5 to get off the airtrain at Jamaica and Howard Beach.

Is it safe? Yeah, I take the A train from howard beach all the time and used to take the airtrain every day for work and I've never had problems. Walking around Jay street area will be no problem either.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the A train however figured it would be easier on the LIRR since the wife and I will have luggage with us.

• Locked thread