Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Panthrax posted:

So, me and some friends are driving to NYC from Ohio, and need somewhere to park. The hotel's charging something stupid like $42/night. We're staying at the Holiday Inn on 57th between 9th and 10th Ave. Is there anything in the area that's not going to cost us $200 for the weekend?
I went to NYC in March, and parked at the Newark airport with my girl friend and just took the train in. Parking was about 70 dollars I believe, plus 15 dollars to get from the airport to penn station.

For people looking for cheap hotels, I highly recommend using priceline's "name your price." We got an extremely nice hotel (http://www.mansfieldhotel.com/) off of 44th and 5th ave for $120 a night, came to almost $140 after fees. I used this website as a guide to the bidding: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/68/New-York-State-New-York-City#.T0HMU_H2Yee

We stayed three nights and were able to do Central Park, Empire State Building, China Town, Union Square, WTC site, Time Square, Columbia University (mainly to check out the restaurant in Seinfeld), and the Metropolitan museum of art.

This September we are planning to go back since I have 400 dollars to use towards any Delta flight, and with both us, will cost us only 50 more dollars plus bagging fees. We are going to stay another three nights, and plan on going to the metro museum of art again (we got there at 3pm last time, closes at 5) and central park. Is Coney island worth the time to go out there? We are going to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and do the Rock this time instead of the Empire State Building.

One good place to eat breakfast we found: Clinton Street Bakery on 4 Clinton Street (btw. East Houston & Stanton). Best breakfast I have ever had outside and runs about 12 dollars a plate I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Going to New York from Ireland with some family in July, first time in the USA. I'd like to catch a Broadway show - do I need to book online now? Also, is there a dress code or anything for Broadway? I don't think I'd be bothered going if I have to pack a suit.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

dmccaff posted:

Going to New York from Ireland with some family in July, first time in the USA. I'd like to catch a Broadway show - do I need to book online now? Also, is there a dress code or anything for Broadway? I don't think I'd be bothered going if I have to pack a suit.

If there's something in particular that you want to see, then yes, try to book it now. Otherwise, there are "TKTS" booths littered around touristy parts of the city (e.g. there's a famous one in Times Square) where you can buy same-day tickets or next-day matinees to whatever shows happen to be unsold at the time. The line could take like an hour or so, but if you just want to spontaneously pick a show this basically the only way to do it without actually going down to the box office of every theater and seeing if they have seats available.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dmccaff posted:

As above if there's a certain show you want to see you should buy it in advance. Otherwise go to the TKTS booth (the best one is on the South Street Seaport because it opens before the Times Square one, but Times Square is okay too) and buy a ticket / tickets to whatever looks best at a decent discount. The TKTS booth only sells same-day tickets (or for matinees the following day). They have an app you can download to look through the different plays on offer while you wait in line -- I saw War Horse recently and had good orchestra seats for like 110 bucks going that route.

Some of the shows don't have tickets in TKTS. These are usually the upper crust most popular ones (Book of Mormon) and some of the super-commercial ones (Lion King) as they both figure they can do better by sticking to their own sales.

The plays have differing soft dress codes, depending mostly on what venue they're in. For example, if the play is at Lincoln Center you'll look really out of place in torn jeans and a Megadeath T-shirt. You'll still get in, mind you, but some richer-than-god octogenarian is going to give you fru fru looks. For the most part any pants plus a long sleeved shirt will keep you well withing norms at any of the plays.

To pick a play or plays in advance go here: http://www.stagegrade.com/ .

Please note the "Off & Off Off Broadway" option at the top. There's a lot of great theater done outside of the theater district -- most of the original plays for example are performed down in the West Village in the area around Barrow Street. I understand if you just want to go to a Broadway show because you're limited on your time in NYC, but if you like it consider going to a smaller playhouse or something too.

Also, there's a thing called "Sleep No More" that's a weird combination of a bar and a Pulp Fiction style cut up of Macbeth with titties plus audience participation thing that's very popular right now. Consider doing this instead of Broadway as there's nothing else really like it out there now. The general advice about how to do Sleep No More is run toward music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0MPk69Iao

raton fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 31, 2012

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

bam thwok posted:

If there's something in particular that you want to see, then yes, try to book it now. Otherwise, there are "TKTS" booths littered around touristy parts of the city (e.g. there's a famous one in Times Square) where you can buy same-day tickets or next-day matinees to whatever shows happen to be unsold at the time. The line could take like an hour or so, but if you just want to spontaneously pick a show this basically the only way to do it without actually going down to the box office of every theater and seeing if they have seats available.

Sheep-Goats posted:

As above if there's a certain show you want to see you should buy it in advance. Otherwise go to the TKTS booth (the best one is on the South Street Seaport because it opens before the Times Square one, but Times Square is okay too) and buy a ticket / tickets to whatever looks best at a decent discount. The TKTS booth only sells same-day tickets (or for matinees the following day). They have an app you can download to look through the different plays on offer while you wait in line -- I saw War Horse recently and had good orchestra seats for like 110 bucks going that route.

Some of the shows don't have tickets in TKTS. These are usually the upper crust most popular ones (Book of Mormon) and some of the super-commercial ones (Lion King) as they both figure they can do better by sticking to their own sales.

The plays have differing soft dress codes, depending mostly on what venue they're in. For example, if the play is at Lincoln Center you'll look really out of place in torn jeans and a Megadeath T-shirt. You'll still get in, mind you, but some richer-than-god octogenarian is going to give you fru fru looks. For the most part any pants plus a long sleeved shirt will keep you well withing norms at any of the plays.

To pick a play or plays in advance go here: http://www.stagegrade.com/ .

Please note the "Off & Off Off Broadway" option at the top. There's a lot of great theater done outside of the theater district -- most of the original plays for example are performed down in the West Village in the area around Barrow Street. I understand if you just want to go to a Broadway show because you're limited on your time in NYC, but if you like it consider going to a smaller playhouse or something too.

Also, there's a thing called "Sleep No More" that's a weird combination of a bar and a Pulp Fiction style cut up of Macbeth with titties plus audience participation thing that's very popular right now. Consider doing this instead of Broadway as there's nothing else really like it out there now. The general advice about how to do Sleep No More is run toward music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0MPk69Iao

Cheers, thank you both. I have one week so hopefully I'll be able to cram as much as possible into it. Since I'm with family I'll probably only be able to do the touristy stuff (not that I'm complaining, I can't wait).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and try to get to TKTS about thirty minutes before they open. They sell out of the more popular shows first. That's why I recommended the South Street Seaport one to begin with.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Anyone looking for random stuff to do should take a look at http://rooftopfilms.com/ :) The concept is pretty cool, I just booked my tickets for the movie Fat Boy Rules the World that the actor from SLC Punk did. Can't wait :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any recommendations for obscure hole in the wall type museums?

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but the Tenement Museum may fit that criteria:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lower-east-side-tenement-museum-new-york

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

Panthrax posted:

So, me and some friends are driving to NYC from Ohio, and need somewhere to park. The hotel's charging something stupid like $42/night. We're staying at the Holiday Inn on 57th between 9th and 10th Ave. Is there anything in the area that's not going to cost us $200 for the weekend?

Much of the city doesn't have street cleaning regulations during the weekend, so if you're only here for a few days, you can just park somewhere on the street.

I personally live in West Harlem and during the day there's plenty of parking on the residential streets. Depending on the side of the street you park on, you could park it Friday afternoon and not have to touch it again until Tuesday morning (or if you park on the other side, you could park it Thursday afternoon and not have to move it till Monday morning.)

Then just walk around the corner to the subway, you'll be at your hotel in about 20 minutes or so.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I've been looking over this thread and was curious if you guys had any suggestions for a great way to spend the 4th of July in NYC. I'll be staying in Brooklyn for July 1st-July 7th and haven't really figured out much of what I will actually be doing. I know we'll try to hit up as many museums as possible and hopefully lots of ethnic (Caribbean, Indian, anything with spice) but I don't want to depend on the person I'll be staying with to be my ambassador. What are some cool things that I wouldn't be able to do in Florida? I like drinking, comedy, architecture, the arts, anything! Please halp

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

brijacked posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but the Tenement Museum may fit that criteria:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lower-east-side-tenement-museum-new-york
This sounds like a good time. Any recommendation for small attractions is appreciated.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
This thread is sadly so slow shuffling along that I probably won't get an answer anytime soon but what the heck.

I'm hitting up NYC with my gal in August, I've been four times and she's never been. However since we've both never been to the Hamptons and we both love $45 cheeseburgers and white people we figured we'd chill there for a couple of days before hitting Manhattan.

So. Assuming we're both arriving and leaving at LGA and spending the first two days in the Hamptons and the last days in Manhattan, what is the best option for getting from LGA to the Hamptons and back to Manhattan?

Should I take busses? Should I use a train (Long Island RR)?

We were also planning to rent a car in the Hamptons to scoot around so should I just rent a car for two days at LGA?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah just rent a car at LGA ya goof.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah just rent a car at LGA ya goof.

Being from a small Canadian fishing village with one road, having to navigate anywhere in the US scares me silly you see.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Silber posted:

Being from a small Canadian fishing village with one road, having to navigate anywhere in the US scares me silly you see.

Also rent a GPS. Even if it's like ten a day. Very worth it.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
Anybody seen Sleep No More? I'm going to be in NY for 5 days, and I'm on the fence about it. The whole concept seems super cool, but a lot of the reviews I've read keep mentioning that it has a "haunted house" vibe. I hate haunted houses but love cool theater.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

facey fred posted:

Anybody seen Sleep No More? I'm going to be in NY for 5 days, and I'm on the fence about it. The whole concept seems super cool, but a lot of the reviews I've read keep mentioning that it has a "haunted house" vibe. I hate haunted houses but love cool theater.

I saw it a little over a year ago, not long after it first opened. Absolutely loved it. Spent about 3 hours wandering around, taking in the different storylines and the bizarre surroundings. It's not scary at all...more surreal, I guess. You might get a bit disoriented after awhile, but that's about it. No one jumps out at you or chases you, if that's what you are concerned about.

Fortunately when we went, the show wasn't very well known. We were in the first group of the night that only had about 15 people total. We actually found areas & rooms that no one had stumbled upon yet and could investigate in peace or have one-on-one interactions with the cast. However, I know some people that went recently and said it was a nightmare -- too many people packed in, insanly hot inside, no room to really move around independently and hard to really follow the story. It was a one of a kind experience for sure and a lot of fun, but if you decide to go, definitely try it early on a week night.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I will be in NYC in just over a week with my sister, niece, and nephew.

Are any of those "city passes" worth it? If so, is there one that is better than the others?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also rent a GPS. Even if it's like ten a day. Very worth it.

Google maps on my phone works a million times better than the Garmin my wife bought. A lot of the roads and highways are too close together for the stupid this to figure out what we're on, but google maps has never failed us.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Ommin posted:

Are any of those "city passes" worth it? If so, is there one that is better than the others?

The NYC pass (google it) has a decent iphone app to go with it. Plan out what you actually want to see and crunch the numbers. Me and my girlfriend only had one day really free up for that stuff but we were going to do the Rockefeller Centre, a Circle Island Ferry Cruise, and a couple of musuems and the pass for one day was less than the combined entry for those things so we just got that and also did like a food tour and something else. But you want to plan it otherwise you end up going "look all these things for only X dollars!" when in reality you may have not gone to any of those places at all.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

two_beer_bishes posted:

Google maps on my phone works a million times better than the Garmin my wife bought. A lot of the roads and highways are too close together for the stupid this to figure out what we're on, but google maps has never failed us.

I've had the exact opposite experience, but whatever.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Ommin posted:

We used the Citypass last year and it was quite good. But as the other poster said, make sure you plan your time wisely. Also be aware that there are several similar passes at similar prices. Citypass gives you nine days to do everything in the booklet, while some of the others (New York Pass, I believe) only gives you 24 hours. NY Pass contains more things for the same price, but if you want more than 24 hours, the cost goes up accordingly. Please double check this, though, as we did this about 9 months ago and the policies may have changed.

My cynic self was certain that using Citypass, we'd still have to stand in a special "Citypass only" line and wait just like everyone else. You know, "skip the line ... and wait in another line". Or that there would be some catch at the door, like an add-on processing charge. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there were no hassles. No extra lines, no extra fees, just every attraction exactly as described. We visited in early October midweek, so the experience may be slightly different during the weekends or peak seasons.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Jane. It's a boutique hotel near the river (Meatpacking district? Chelsea? 113 Jane St, one block north of 12th St) done up in a very, VERY nice distressed Victorian style. The staff was outstanding and the price was unbeatable. The place has so much character: The rooms are tiny, like early-20th-century passenger ship cabins. Your room is twice the size of a cot. You have room to stand, and that's it. The electric shuts off when you leave. Your key (which you also use to turn on the electric) is this gigantic, old-style skeleton key that the front desk will keep when you leave. Most rooms have shared bathrooms (unless you upgrade to a suite), but the place was immaculate 24x7. The hotel has a lot of history -- the Titanic survivors stayed there upon arrival. In the 1970s and 1980s it was a flophouse for junkies and hookers. It's a few block to most subway stations, but the neighborhood is great.

http://www.thejanenyc.com/

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Thanks Teacup and SwivelTits, that's good advice.

(never could have expected to type those words in that order)

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
It's still too far off, but I might as well start getting ideas going since I'm going to kinda start planning it soon.

In September, my cousin is getting married and my family is coming up from Texas for it. My one female cousin and her husband, who got married earlier this year, are planning on coming up for the week I believe and as it turns out, her husband has never been out of Texas. So, being the experienced New York Tourist, I go in at least once a month to walk around by myself, I offered to take them in one day.

I assume that they are either flying in on a Saturday or Sunday, so that gives us either Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday to go in, 9/11 happens to fall on that Tuesday, so that's out of the question and I have the rehearsal dinner on Friday for the wedding on Saturday.

I know that they are going to want to go to the top of the Empire State building, are we better off buying tickets in advanced if we want to go or are we better off buying them the day of.

Also, what would be some cool things, besides Times Square, because I know that I have to take him there, because he's never see it before, that a person who has never been to NYC to experience.

I'm thinking about taking them downtown after doing the "touristy" stuff. Is this a smart idea or should I just stick to Midtown since he's never really been to the city.

Finally, should I have the two of them make a list of things that they would like to see or is this not a smart idea.

Also how safe is Central Park? I have a feeling that he might want to see and I never really had the urge to go there.

I don't think that they want to go to a Broadway show, so I'm not really looking into that right now, if it comes up, then we'll talk about it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

screenwritersblues posted:

9/11 happens to fall on that Tuesday, so that's out of the question

Is this some kind of superstition thing?

quote:

I know that they are going to want to go to the top of the Empire State building, are we better off buying tickets in advanced if we want to go or are we better off buying them the day of.

Depends, but I guess it couldn't hurt. http://www.esbnyc.com/buy_tickets.asp

There's usually some dudes in red shirts on the streets near the entrance that sell tickets on the spot, so unless its obscenely crowded you shouldn't have a problem buying the day of. Be prepared to wait in line though.

quote:

Also, what would be some cool things, besides Times Square, because I know that I have to take him there, because he's never see it before, that a person who has never been to NYC to experience.

I'm thinking about taking them downtown after doing the "touristy" stuff. Is this a smart idea or should I just stick to Midtown since he's never really been to the city.

Where do you mean by downtown? The Village? Chinatown/Little Italy? The financial district? There's touristy stuff to do all over the place. All of those will be pretty cool culture shocks to a Texas recluse.

quote:

Finally, should I have the two of them make a list of things that they would like to see or is this not a smart idea.

Why would that be a bad idea? New York is massive, and not every person gets as excited about Rockefeller plaza as the person standing next to them, so finding out what they want to do will make it much, much easier. If they come up with something that strikes you as unusual, you can always ask about it here.

quote:

Also how safe is Central Park? I have a feeling that he might want to see and I never really had the urge to go there.

The rule of thumb is that if the sun is out it's fine, but it's sort of a dated one at this point. If there's a big night event going on like a concert or something, it will be perfectly safe basically at all hours.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bam thwok posted:

Is this some kind of superstition thing?

Where do you mean by downtown? The Village? Chinatown/Little Italy? The financial district? There's touristy stuff to do all over the place. All of those will be pretty cool culture shocks to a Texas recluse.

No, not a superstition thing, it's just going to be crazy that day. The security will be higher than normal and it's just going to be crazier than normal with all the relatives of the victims and everyone who whats to see the Memorial on that day will be there. So I don't really feel like dealing with the crowds that day. Unless it's the only day that they can go, I personally don't want to deal with the city that day.

I was thinking mostly the village and some of the LES, possibily the former site of CBGBs, because I know where it is now. I was thinking lunch at the Grey Dog Cafe over on Mullberry, but I'll leave it up to them. If they want to go get lunch at one of the little cafes in Little Italy, then I'll do that. I also want to take them to the Strand, because it's something that everyone should see.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Going to be in NYC next week. How busy is the 4th of July week?

Is there any difference between the main TKTS booth and the other ones in terms of selection or lines? My hotel for the week will be in Brooklyn, so if I can hit up the Brooklyn one and avoid the main lines, that would be great.

Also, how early should I show up to wait in line at TKTS if I want a reasonable spot in line and a decent selection of shows? An hour? Less? I'm not super picky about what to see (I've already paid full price for those), so I don't need full selection.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

It shouldn't be too busy the days before and after, but the 4th itself is going to be pretty crazy. People come from all over to see the Macy's fireworks and it gets pretty pack along the water. Basically people start getting their spots in the morning and don't move. From what I understand, they close the Westside highway down so that pedestrian traffic can watch the fireworks.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003
I'm weird...so forgive me

Chin Strap posted:

Is there any difference between the main TKTS booth and the other ones in terms of selection or lines? My hotel for the week will be in Brooklyn, so if I can hit up the Brooklyn one and avoid the main lines, that would be great.

Also, how early should I show up to wait in line at TKTS if I want a reasonable spot in line and a decent selection of shows? An hour? Less? I'm not super picky about what to see (I've already paid full price for those), so I don't need full selection.

The Times Square booth gets the most crowded, the others, less so. I showed up to the booth at the South Street Seaport at 5 pm the day before, and got good tickets for "The Best Man." If you're flexible, I'd just go when it's convenient for you.

TKTS has a pretty nice app that shows you current availability at each booth, and gives you short summaries of each show. I recommend reading up on the shows before you get to the booth. I had never heard of "The Best Man," but it had a cool political story, and an awesome cast.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Anyone got any good places for eating out in the financial district for breakfast and dinner. Im staying on Fulton st. Not chinatown (already know the places there) and something thats a little more laid back as I'll be dining solo.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Just back from New York. I would thoroughly recommend buying the New York Pass card. It gets you free entry to 70 or so attractions, including all the popular things like Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, cruises, museums etc. If we had paid seperateley to those places we'd have been out a fortune, well over $300 anyway. We went to all the tourist attractions plus some other things we would never have thought of visiting. Some of the attractions even let you skip the queues with the pass.

Ended up seeing Evita on Broadway. Wanted to go to Rock of Ages but the only seats that were available had an "obstructed view" apparently. Didn't have the time for Sleep No More.

Saw Bob Odenkirk in SoHo but he looked like he didn't want to be approached, so I didn't bother trying to talk to him.

I was so surprised at how easy getting a taxi was, I honestly thought it was only that way in the movies.

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
Donation Based/Free Stuff: The High Line, Movies in Bryant Park on Monday Nights, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Yoga to the People, Kayaking at the Downtown Boathouse.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Fists Up posted:

Anyone got any good places for eating out in the financial district for breakfast and dinner. Im staying on Fulton st. Not chinatown (already know the places there) and something thats a little more laid back as I'll be dining solo.

I love this place. Really laid back, locals sort of spot with a decent happy hour and great food.

http://www.cowgirlseahorse.com/

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So the ball has started rolling on taking my cousin's husband, who as never been out of Texas, to the city for the first time in his life. So far, he has said that he wants to go to Times Square, the WTC site and go inside and he's currently looking for a Firehouse with an ambulance (he's an paid EMT down there, so seeing something like that, is going to impress him), but I don't think that going to find one like that, unless someone can direct us to one.

I plan on taking him to the feast of San Gennaro for lunch, since that would be some that he wouldn't experience anywhere else and then doing whatever. I plan on taking them to the Strand, because I think that would be something interesting and besides that I like to stop there on the way home.

It should be a good time, considering that he's going with someone who knows their way around and not like last time when his wife, his sister, one of their boyfriends, and a friend from Texas got lost seven years ago when we graduated high school.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
If I were to move to New York from Nashville TN, how much money should I potentially have saved up? (Assuming no job, no living arrangements. My parents live in Southern VT who I would potentially be staying with to get the ball rolling, and I have a cousin that lives in hoboken I could possibly crash with as well.) I work in the restaurant industry (cook) and would be staying in New York for 2 years to work in one of your nationally recognized restaurants. I understand I'd be looking at sharing an apartment with strangers, which doesn't bother me.

My concerns:
-Amount of money I should begin with.
-Advice on potential neighborhoods for someone going to work at a reasonable hour and getting home in the wee hours of the morning. I don't want to be strolling through the ghetto at 1am, that's about it. Any proximity to a weekly farmers market would also be ideal, but I have no idea how realistic that is.

Thanks, I'm trying to decide whether I should be saving for New York or Chicago. Chicago seems cheaper, but there are a lot more options for someone like me in New York - as well as the ability to hop a train and see my parents in Vermont on my days off.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You're going to be really shocked about the neighborhoods you can afford to live in on a cook's wages. I'd look around Brooklyn or Queens, but remember the closer you are to an MTA stop or Manhattan apartment prices skyrocket.

There's a very active local NYC goons megathread in the meet-up sections. I'd ask there.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
I'll cross post there, appreciate it. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what my average cook wage would end up being, I'm estimating the most I can shell out for a room is $700-800 which coming from Nashville seems insane. I have lived in Boston before, but I guess I've been out of city life for too long.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got a small question...

A friend and I will be flying into newark international airport and we will have half a day of downtime there, with no car. My buddy has never been to NYC and i'd like to at least go have lunch in Times Square.

Is there a train route that we can take, that's within walking distance of the airport?

If not, is it feasible to take a bus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the Jersey stuff either goes to 34th street directly South of Times Square or right in to Times Square (well, a tiny bit West of it) at 42nd. You'll have multiple options.

Lunch is horrid in that area, it's almost 100% tourist oriented strip mall poo poo. Go on Yelp and search for "prix fixe lunch midtown" (or maybe "theater district" instead of midtown, I don't remember how Yelp has it in there) to find a few points of light, or else plan to leave the area for any real food.

• Locked thread