Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

QuantumDeep posted:

Hello all. I'm looking at going to New York this coming weekend (probably Saturday afternoon - Tuesday afternoon). I'm looking for recommendations on hostels to stay in. I'll be traveling alone and am looking forward to exploring the city alone, but meeting some new people would be awesome and probably easier in a hostel.

Bowery Whitehouse has a good location for social stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Pine
Apr 20, 2008

I'm going to be in New York for a few days in April. It's my first trip but I'm not really interested in the big stuff - can anyone recommend any smaller, interesting art galleries or libraries, or places to hear soul/gospel/cajun music? Recommendations for bigger shops where I can get second hand books and comics would also be welcome as I'd like to try and track down some older Chas Addams stuff :)

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in Manhattan/Brooklyn? My friend and I are going over Memorial Day weekend and the person who we were supposed to stay with can't host us anymore. Ideally we would like something as cheap as possible but in a good enough location that we can still travel around with relative ease.

The Jane is always my go-to hotel. The rooms are tiny but overflowing with character. The bathrooms are shared but always immaculate. The staff is old-school friendly, as in they'll see you coming and rush out to open the door for you. It's located in the west village. The nearest train station is a five-minute walk.

At $130 / night it's not the cheapest, but you probably don't want to go a whole lot cheaper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Carter,_Manhattan

If you absolutely can't dig $130 a night, start looking into hostels. You'll have no problem finding a GOOD hostel for $50 - $75 / night. You'll sacrifice some creature comforts but you'll make new friends and have a blast if you're under 40. Even moreso if you're under 30.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

QuantumDeep posted:

Hello all. I'm looking at going to New York this coming weekend (probably Saturday afternoon - Tuesday afternoon). I'm looking for recommendations on hostels to stay in. I'll be traveling alone and am looking forward to exploring the city alone, but meeting some new people would be awesome and probably easier in a hostel.

Sorry it's a little late, but for future reference:

Hosteling International has a location up around 103 & Amsterdam that is cheap and reasonable. By "reasonable" I mean that it's technically adequate. There's hot water, in-room lockers, organized tours, and a high level of safety. The building is also interesting and it has the biggest age range of hostelers I've ever seen. The bathrooms are outdated and cramped with poor ventilation. The heating makes it an inferno all year long; you will sleep with your window open when it's 20 below outside. But I still recommend it as an absolute minimum standard because the surrounding neighborhood is great. You'll get the true NY experience of having everything you need within a block or two. Restaurants, barbers, c-stores, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, dive bars, chain stores, you name it, walk no more than three blocks in any direction and you'll find it. There are two subway stations within easy walking distance on Broadway.

A few weeks ago we stayed in New York Loft in Brooklyn. Definitely much better-looking than HI, but it seemed to lack the friendly community of HI. On the other hand, there's a bangin' pizza place just around the corner and the subway is two blocks away. The bathrooms and common areas were MUCH nicer. There's a community courtyard where they serve free meals (guests only) and there's a decent breakfast / smoothie type place right across the street. I think guests also have gym privileges at the gym across the street, but I'm not sure. It's a few blocks away from the pretentious hipster district so the attitude is minimal.

Check out hostelworld.com. Many of the reviews are shills, but you can still get a decent feel for the places.

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!

SwivelTits2000 posted:

Sorry it's a little late, but for future reference:

Hosteling International has a location up around 103 & Amsterdam that is cheap and reasonable. By "reasonable" I mean that it's technically adequate. There's hot water, in-room lockers, organized tours, and a high level of safety. The building is also interesting and it has the biggest age range of hostelers I've ever seen. The bathrooms are outdated and cramped with poor ventilation. The heating makes it an inferno all year long; you will sleep with your window open when it's 20 below outside. But I still recommend it as an absolute minimum standard because the surrounding neighborhood is great. You'll get the true NY experience of having everything you need within a block or two. Restaurants, barbers, c-stores, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, dive bars, chain stores, you name it, walk no more than three blocks in any direction and you'll find it. There are two subway stations within easy walking distance on Broadway.

Haha, this is actually where I ended up staying. Everything you said is pretty much accurate. It had the bare essentials in terms of the rooms, and I can attest to the rooms being VERY warm (the four of us in the room unanimously decided to keep the window open all day and night). Met a bunch of great people on the tours and pub crawls. Paid $60 per night including tax and the HI "Temporary membership" fee. Would definitely recommend it to someone who's just looking for a bed for the night but still wants to meet people.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Leonard Pine posted:

I'm going to be in New York for a few days in April. It's my first trip but I'm not really interested in the big stuff - can anyone recommend any smaller, interesting art galleries or libraries, or places to hear soul/gospel/cajun music? Recommendations for bigger shops where I can get second hand books and comics would also be welcome as I'd like to try and track down some older Chas Addams stuff :)

My favorite bookstores in NY are Three Lives & Co., which is on 10th St. (one of the most beautiful streets in the village!) and of course Strand, which is just a couple blocks down of Union Square. They're relatively close to each other, actually, an easy walk unless it's raining. Three Lives is a great little boutique and almost everything in there is interesting, and Strand is a huge/famous used bookstore with good prices and is really fun to wander through. The Housing Works bookstore is also cool. I don't know anything about comics; there's a comic book store a few blocks north of Strand but I don't know if it's any good or not.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm living in South Williamsburg right now and I'm moving next month. I want somewhere with more bang for my buck in terms of space and quietude.

I am interested in the Lefferts Gardens/Prospect Park area. The apartments I'm finding for my budget seem pretty great, but I suppose I was wondering if it was a boring place to live? It does seem a bit isolated, but as long as there's somewhere to walk to reasonably close, I'm fine. I guess there are two Lefferts Garden spots -- the area directly south of Prospect Heights and the area directly south of Prospect Park, east of the Fort Hamilton F stop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're probably best asking in the LAN NYC thread, they're always talking about where to move to there.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Can anyone recommend a nice weekend style getaway out of New York? My girlfriend and I will be heading over to North East of the US on holiday in October with a current itinerary of Boston, New York and Washington. Given we won't have access to a car (expired drivers license) we are trying to find a nice 'small-town USA' type town which we can do some hiking and outdoor stuff rather than just seeing 3 big US cities. Bonus points if it's on the coast with great seafood, and more bonus points if its in between Boston and/or Washington and would allow us to incorporate it into our trip easily.

I love travelling by train so my preference is definitely somewhere accessibly by rail, however am open to buses if it's worth it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sc0tty posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice weekend style getaway out of New York? My girlfriend and I will be heading over to North East of the US on holiday in October with a current itinerary of Boston, New York and Washington. Given we won't have access to a car (expired drivers license) we are trying to find a nice 'small-town USA' type town which we can do some hiking and outdoor stuff rather than just seeing 3 big US cities. Bonus points if it's on the coast with great seafood, and more bonus points if its in between Boston and/or Washington and would allow us to incorporate it into our trip easily.

I love travelling by train so my preference is definitely somewhere accessibly by rail, however am open to buses if it's worth it.

http://www.maloufsmountain.com/
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/getaways/outbound_diabeacon.htm

Take the train from Grand Central (Grand Central is cool.) An hour later you're in Beacon. The guy that runs Malouf's Mountain (looks like a LotR dwarf) will pick you up and take you to the trail head. Hike on the variety of marked paths into the camp site where everything will be there and set up for you including food and wood for a fire and a tent on a platform (bring a sleeping pad and a warm sleeping bag, I returned mine to Target afterward because :thuglife: ) and food to cook on the fire if you want. Sleep in a tent. In the morning hike out to the trailhead by another route (there are three). See the awesome modern art museum in Beacon (featuring all natural light and huge exhibition spaces containing multiple Serra sculptures, a 100 piece Warhol work hung in its entirety as it was hung on initial exhibition, and some naughty neon). Take the train back to NYC (probably) or eat in the little restaurant near the museum or whatever.

The train goes next to the Hudson all the way up and is a pretty ride. Beacon has a good small town America feel.

Negatives of this for you: Probably easiest to procede to Boston by going back to NYC first but check to see if maybe you can get the Greyhound from Beacon to Boston (probably there is a bus a day but I don't know, if there is the proprietor of Maloufs still certainly drive you to the bus station). Not on the (ocean) coast. Seafood isn't special (HOWEVER the Grand Central Oyster Bar is affordable, delicious, and a landmark so eat there on your return to the city I guess).

raton fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2013

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I booked a weekend trip to New York on a whim today and I'm leaving on Thursday (but will arrive Friday around midnight) and coming back Sunday. I'm 20 years old and poor as poo poo too so if anyone can help me that'd be great! Last time I was in the city was back in 2001 so I'm open to doing some touristy things too because I either missed out on them or don't remember them.

I'll be staying with a friend in Ridgewood who has other commitments so I'm on my own pretty much as far as getting around is concerned. So I'd like to budget $200 at the most for NYC, any suggestions on things that might be good for a retard who randomly decided to go to NYC alone without a plan for a couple of days?

Also, to show you how poorly this is being executed, I can get to EWR from Ridgewood through public transit right?

birds fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 28, 2013

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Despite the reputation I think New York is a great city to do on the cheap. Try walking around, Canal Street (Chinatown) has lots of little shops, the Staten Island Ferry is free, tons of great parks (Central Park obviously), the Met has a "suggested donation" and you can pay as much as you can afford.

You have to plan carefully to make sure you don't walk into a $200 a plate restaurant or something but there's so much cheap food to be had too, of basically every kind you can imagine. I was gonna put some recommendations but good cheap restaurants are so plentiful. Well, I can try: Shanghai Asian Cuisine, Cafe Habana, Yakitori Taisho... Don't know what you like to eat but just yelp the food you want and select the single $ option and you won't be disappointed.

hitension fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 28, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Macintosh: Sign up for The Skint, Nonsensenyc and maybe Brokelyn (email lists of cheap / often off beat events, Google will find them easily) now and go through the things they mail you. I went to a free storytelling thing last week (which was at a bar but there was no one at the door so you could have went in and talked a qt girl into buying you a drink) with people from NPR and The Moth and whatnot. When you get here buy a Time Out New York magazine (available in many news shops) which lists a lot of events with a cent sign meaning they're cheap or with a little 18+ logo I'd they let non-drinking age people in. Some bars here are very aggressive with carding, others don't seem to care that much. Many venues just do wrist bands for over 21.

Something I always do with visitors is the Met. It's a big museum, it's on the subway maps, and while they suggest 20 bucks for admission you can pay what you want for your admissions button (their building is on public land, it's part of their charter). I usually do a dollar a person. They have a sickening amount of fine art, an awesome arms and armor exhibit (Henry the 8ths armor, a muramasa katana, some rad horse armor, etc etc), a little Egyptian temple preserved in its entirety, and lots of other puerile for you to meet and spend the rest of your day with if you're so inclined.

For cheap eats concentrate on the food trucks which range from gourmet to basic but are never too expensive. Ippudo Ramen is a fun, not too expensive Big Meal Out for you which won't break your budget (15 for one of the city's most well regarded bowls, lots of atmosphere). Get there exactly at 5pm (or even a little earlier on the weekend) unless you love lines.

Any particular interests?

I live in NYC so I'm not allowed to know anything about NJ transit. But if I wanted to I'd type in New Jersey Transit which is the name for their public transport system I think and do some searches. I'd be surprised if there was no way to get from EWR to Ridgewood. I work weekends so I can't show you around or anything.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 28, 2013

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Macintosh: Sign up for The Skint, Nonsensenyc and maybe Brokelyn (email lists of cheap / often off beat events, Google will find them easily) now and go through the things they mail you. I went to a free storytelling thing last week (which was at a bar but there was no one at the door so you could have went in and talked a qt girl into buying you a drink) with people from NPR and The Moth and whatnot. When you get here buy a Time Out New York magazine (available in many news shops) which lists a lot of events with a cent sign meaning they're cheap or with a little 18+ logo I'd they let non-drinking age people in. Some bars here are very aggressive with carding, others don't seem to care that much. Many venues just do wrist bands for over 21.

Something I always do with visitors is the Met. It's a big museum, it's on the subway maps, and while they suggest 20 bucks for admission you can pay what you want for your admissions button (their building is on public land, it's part of their charter). I usually do a dollar a person. They have a sickening amount of fine art, an awesome arms and armor exhibit (Henry the 8ths armor, a muramasa katana, some rad horse armor, etc etc), a little Egyptian temple preserved in its entirety, and lots of other puerile for you to meet and spend the rest of your day with if you're so inclined.

For cheap eats concentrate on the food trucks which range from gourmet to basic but are never too expensive. Ippudo Ramen is a fun, not too expensive Big Meal Out for you which won't break your budget (15 for one of the city's most well regarded bowls, lots of atmosphere). Get there exactly at 5pm (or even a little earlier on the weekend) unless you love lines.

Any particular interests?

I live in NYC so I'm not allowed to know anything about NJ transit. But if I wanted to I'd type in New Jersey Transit which is the name for their public transport system I think and do some searches. I'd be surprised if there was no way to get from EWR to Ridgewood. I work weekends so I can't show you around or anything.

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely going to check out the Met as well as MoMA. Here's what my tentative plan looks like at the moment.

Friday
11 AM - Head out to Manhattan
12:30 PM - Lunch somewhere
1:00 PM - Highline? My brother told me to go here, is there anything worth seeing here?
2:00 PM - One World Trade Center because I like architecture and pretty buildings.
7:00 PM - The Accidental Pervert on 13th Street, a play that looks to be pretty good according to NYT.
9:00 PM - Times Square for pretty lights and people watching.
10:00 PM - Head back to Ridgewood

Saturday
10 AM - Head out to Manhattan
11:30 AM - Lunch in/near Central Park & walking around
1:30 PM - The Met
3:30 PM - MoMA
5:30 PM - Top of the Rock
9:30 PM - Head back to Ridgewood

So I think Friday is pretty set but Saturday I have a pretty big gap between Rockefeller and heading back to NJ (flight leaves at 7:30 AM so I want to get back a little early), I was thinking of just walking around and exploring but if there's anything nearby that's maybe a little under the radar and cool, I'm open to that too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
See if you can reserve a hostel room for that one night (Bowery Whitehouse has a great location and lots of people your age) because it'll save you HOURS of transport, allow you to party that night if you want / get lucky, and if you factor in the cost of transport vs the hostel it's a good deal. They fill up quickly! Go see if they have something now. If not, go to hostelworld and see what else there is. Even if it's 60 bucks it'll be worth it even on your budget, but it should be less than that.

E: Don't go to two museums on the same day that's too much museum. Pick one. Only pick MoMA if you're a fine art or design student. It's expensive and a lot of the work is the kind of stuff that's hard to appreciate without a background. I bring almost everyone to the Met. I only bring visiting old flame shorthair girls to MoMA. (It's kinda not worth it even for people who know a little about it and really like it like me :hush: ) Never go to Guggenheim on a visit unless their current exhibit is EXACTLY what interests you. Natural History is cool if you like dino bones but also expensive.

Stagegrade is a good site to compare plays on. There is a thing called the TKTS booth (Google) where you can get discounted tickets to many plays. If you try it show up at the South Street Seaport location about 30 minutes before they open (no joke, don't be late) to have a good selection of things to see. But Accidental Pervert should be fine too.

Get your top of the rock ticket in advance or you'll die in line. I don't know how you do that because I've never gone, but people always tell me to do that if I go. Central Park is great for residents but not an attraction IMO. Highline is an elevated park which is kind of cool but not mind blowing or anything, it is free though.

E2: Oh you should probably eat at Katz's Deli or Carnegie Deli. A pastrami reuben is what I get. You've never had pastrami like that in your life, they fork a whole brisket out of the vat and start slicing off the delicious meats for you, give you a variety of pickles sour and sweet (and maybe a picked green tomato if you ask) and then your can eat it. Very definitive NY meal that you can't get elsewhere. If you think this is dumb go to Google, type in Pastrami, click the Wikipedia link, and right there is a picture of a pastrami sandwich from the same Carneige Deli that I just named (but I usually go to Katz's.)

raton fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 28, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Macintosh posted:

Also, to show you how poorly this is being executed, I can get to EWR from Ridgewood through public transit right?

Yes, but not directly; you're going to have to switch at Secaucus Junction.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I speed run museums as much as anyone and 2 hours is not enough for the Met. Try 6-8 and you still won't see everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Strangest post of the day alert:

When I was waiting in the Metro and hearing the subway trains leave, the noise they make to me sounded just like the first note of Moby's Extreme Ways. My friend didn't know the song so he couldn't confirm that I'm not just a mad person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICjyAe9S54c

Feel free to have me locked up.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The pHo posted:

Strangest post of the day alert:

When I was waiting in the Metro and hearing the subway trains leave, the noise they make to me sounded just like the first note of Moby's Extreme Ways. My friend didn't know the song so he couldn't confirm that I'm not just a mad person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICjyAe9S54c

Feel free to have me locked up.

This is a well known phenomena in NYC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/nyregion/21about.html?_r=0

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haha awesome, I remember hearing that signature on some of the trains but I don't really know WSS that well so didn't connect the two.

I was mainly riding the L so I managed to find a clip on YT that has the signature I recall, just after about 45 seconds in you can hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dyPcpy8K0

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
On and just so you know that Moby song you linked to can't be played in the US :rolleye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8SWn5mxus

The song is called "Somewhere" if you want to look it up and compare it.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 30, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I listened to the embedded radio clip on the earlier piece, can definitely hear Somewhere in it. I think I must've heard it when I was on the 4. The sound on the L is different though, that's the one I think sounds like the first note of the Moby track (which is then repeated straight away, all happens in the first second or so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIkDmNVJeA

Maybe this one works in the US? I know all too well about it being a pain in the rear end when YouTube clips won't work in my country!

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Leonard Pine posted:

Rashomon posted:

My favorite bookstores in NY are Three Lives & Co., which is on 10th St. (one of the most beautiful streets in the village!) and of course Strand, which is just a couple blocks down of Union Square. They're relatively close to each other, actually, an easy walk unless it's raining. Three Lives is a great little boutique and almost everything in there is interesting, and Strand is a huge/famous used bookstore with good prices and is really fun to wander through. The Housing Works bookstore is also cool. I don't know anything about comics; there's a comic book store a few blocks north of Strand but I don't know if it's any good or not.

Forbidden Planet is the one that you're thinking of. It's really good too. It's the second best behind Midtown. It moved to it's current location about year ago and it has gotten a lot better, mainly because there's more floor space. It doesn't have a lot of older stuff, but it's still pretty cool. Midtown Comics, which is right near Times Square is where you what to go.

Also, Rashoman, how is Three Lives? I'm thinking about heading over there next month so that can start the book store tour. I have St. Mark's, Three Lives, and Jackson McNally on my list. I've been to The Strand and Shakespeare and Co., which I hate because of the staff. If you know anything about the others, then that would help too.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Any suggestions for a good place in lower Manhattan/Brooklyn to watch the Champions League finale?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

screenwritersblues posted:

Forbidden Planet is the one that you're thinking of. It's really good too. It's the second best behind Midtown. It moved to it's current location about year ago and it has gotten a lot better, mainly because there's more floor space. It doesn't have a lot of older stuff, but it's still pretty cool. Midtown Comics, which is right near Times Square is where you what to go.

Also, Rashoman, how is Three Lives? I'm thinking about heading over there next month so that can start the book store tour. I have St. Mark's, Three Lives, and Jackson McNally on my list. I've been to The Strand and Shakespeare and Co., which I hate because of the staff. If you know anything about the others, then that would help too.

I like Bluestockings. Not a huge selection and it's obviously a leftist lesbian cult castle, but the coffee is decent and they have grotty little readings and if you want to buy a copy of Rules for Radicals without being put on a watch list it's a good place to do it. Tons of food and bars in the area, too.

Any suggestions for a good place in lower Manhattan/Brooklyn to watch the Champions League finale?

http://www.nevadasmiths.net/about.htm

They've got audio embedded in their site, that's how British/soccer they are. There are actually a fair number of reasonably soccer oriented places now, but NS was the first place to be really vocal about it.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 9, 2013

Ouija
Nov 28, 2004

dont try

Berry Park is quality - get there early, though. I actually might go

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Oh so I just got back from New York a couple weeks ago now so I wanted to thank y'all for your suggestions. The Met was incredible. Crowded, but really great. I wasn't able to secure tickets to any shows since I was going last minute but I still had a great time just walking around. Walking around Central Park at lunch time by myself was definitely my favorite part of the trip though. Weather was loving gorgeous and there was a nice little secluded spot where I could just sit in the shade and read. And transportation from Ridgewood to NYC wasn't bad at all, got to the city in about an hour and a half with no hiccups or a ton of walking. Way better than I expected but I think next time I'll try out AirBnb.

Might actually be headed back on a longer trip in the summer, hoping to try out Perry St (had reservations but woke up too late to get there in time), Yankee game, maybe a show or two, and check out some lesser known restaurants.

birds fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 21, 2013

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
My girlfriend is turning 21, and our plan is to drive down to New York, get a room, see a few sights, then stumble home drunk every night.

We're not interested in beer (we come from some great beer areas), but we'd love to be at least a block or two away from a few cool cocktail places of different kinds, so we don't get lost and murdered on the way back to the hotel.

Any ideas for places to stay? New York is huge.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of your fancy cocktail bars are roughly between 6th Street and Canal Street. Hotels down there are a bit expensive, but there are a lot of nice little botique type places. I need a budget from you to help you any more, but supposing you're not a trillionaire and are wanting to stay in a kinda cool hotel I'd look into the Carlton Arms (actually a hostel but they have private rooms with bathrooms, 24th street) and The Gem SOHO (Houston street on the East side). Rooms are almost universally small, so deal with it. You don't want to stay anywhere with Midtown, Times Square, or the word "Upper" included its locational descriptor.

Some names of cocktail bars:
Death and Company (modern)
Little Branch (speakeasy)
Employees Only (modern)
Macao (same owners as EO)
Please Don't Tell (speakeasy I guess)
Painkiller (tiki bar)

She will probably want to marry you if you take her to Sleep No More. The bar in there is nice, too. Expensive show though.

If you're anywhere in Manhattan you're safe. Anywhere in the five boroughs really apart from like one spot in Queens, two in Brooklyn, and a section of the South Bronx, none of which you'd either have a reason to visit nor possibly end up in by mistake. NYC is (unfortunately) very safe now.

Don't hesitate to take a cab home at night, not for safety reasons, but because it's fast then and not that expensive. Give cabbies a cross street instead of an address and they're happy.

SA forums poster Vegetable Melange is a fancy ye olde bespoke bartender man (I used to be a nightclub bartender) here in NYC so if you can get in contact with him maybe he has some more refined drinking suggestions.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 24, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Crossposting from the NYC locals thread:

I'll be in town this weekend and figured I should take a quick poll to see if anything special or cool is happening. I'm staying with friends in Queens and am just gonna play the trip by ear, so will probably try to catch some jazz someplace and get cheap tickets to a play or two. Spend most of my days wandering around to museums and poo poo. Those sorts of things. I gave up finding tickets to book of mormon because they were all more expensive than my round-trip airfare and that was the only thing I'd plan on seeing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

You don't want to stay anywhere with Midtown, Times Square, or the word "Upper" included its locational descriptor.
Why is that, exactly, because I'm apparently going to New York this year and the hotel I'm to stay in could not possibly be any more within Midtown. Just a bad location for cocktail bars or generally bad?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why is that, exactly, because I'm apparently going to New York this year and the hotel I'm to stay in could not possibly be any more within Midtown. Just a bad location for cocktail bars or generally bad?

Boring business oriented area. It's innocuous enough, but nothing ventured nothing gained goes for parts of NYC as well.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 6, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Oh yeah. So I'd say that my two big things to suggest to other people are going to Sleep No More and the Museum of Moving Image. The latter is real cheap (12 regular, 9 student) and has a whole poo poo ton of cool stuff from movie history along with some contemporary (internet) stuff. It has a little video game section too. And this is on top of regular movie screenings that are free with the ticket.

Sleep No More is hard to describe, but it's like a mashup of a haunted house, Macbeth, and Eyes Wide Shut. I think it was around 80 bucks and is totally worth it if only for the opportunity to stumble across things like a Satanic baby-sacrifice blood orgy techno strobe light goat-head black mass.

My friends had heard that the Museum of Sex was pretty interesting, but I think it's mostly wasted opportunity. Although the stuff they have is interesting, it was like 20 bucks for very little exhibits. I guess they get by with their store sales and the novelty.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just got to NY yesteday and as a tourist, this city is god drat awesome.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
It's a great time of year to check out the beach. Far Rockaway is where it's at.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Quick question: how safe is to go alone at night to Hamilton Park with photo gear for a tourist? I'd like to take a night photo of the Manhattan skyline.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Can someone who has done the gray line double decker bus tour enlighten me on how the hop-on hop-off works? I guess my question is how often do the buses run? If I get off the bus in Chinatown and walk around for an hour when will I be able to get back on? Are the loops they run all day or do they just do one loop a day? And if they do multiple loops how frequently do they run?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Trying to plan a 2 or 3 day mid-week trip to NYC for my fiancée and I. I've been a few times as a student on school trips, then a few times visiting my sister on a shoestring student budget when she was at FIT--we mostly ate cheap pizza and went to free/cheap shows at Upright Citizens when we weren't hanging out with her eccentric and/or overprivileged classmates. My fiancée has never been and is the impetus for this last-minute trip. We're both 27.

We'll be driving in from eastern PA on I-80. Where's a good place in Jersey to leave our car for 1 or 2 nights and train or ferry into Manhattan? Liberty Island is on the itinerary--is it possible to ferry from NJ to Liberty to Manhattan?

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
I just want to add that I went to "Sleep No More" based on a recommendation in this thread and it was the best thing I did while in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

goku chewbacca posted:

We'll be driving in from eastern PA on I-80. Where's a good place in Jersey to leave our car for 1 or 2 nights and train or ferry into Manhattan? Liberty Island is on the itinerary--is it possible to ferry from NJ to Liberty to Manhattan?

You can take the ferry from Liberty State Park to Liberty Island and then Manhattan, but I don't think you can park overnight at the park. I'd recommend doing Liberty State Park and the statue/Ellis Island, then heading back to Jersey and going up the turnpike to Secaucus Junction. You can pay to park there and take the train over to Penn Station. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can try to park somewhere in downtown Jersey City near Grove St or Newport (no permit required on the weekend) and take the PATH over.

• Locked thread