Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Things I need to eat the most delicious of in NYC:
Cheesesteak
Pizza/Italian (within budgetary reason, not more than $20 pp tops)
Hamburger
Ramen??

I live in LA, so I've eaten pretty good of all of these items before, but I would like to try New York's bestish when I go in January.

e: Also, any tips if I'm hoping to see The Book Of Mormon while I'm there for like, less than a hundred bux? It looks pretty... sold out.

bobula fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bam thwok posted:

recommendations

I'm getting hungry just reading this :9
I'm not a fan of lamb though, so if you got a beef burger suggestion I'd like to hear it.

For those who've flown LAX to JFK before: what's a good airline? My options are Virgin, American, Continental, United, JetBlue, and Delta. I'm leaning heavily towards JetBlue since your first checked bag is free with them, but I've also heard good things about Virgin. I've only really flown international flights before so I don't know who's good with shorter flights.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

bam thwok posted:

Don't be thrown off by the lamb. It tastes like ultra-tender beef, and it's probably in the top three best burgers I've ever eaten in my life.

It really depends on what your preferences are; Are you looking for a 50s-style burger place that does it ultra greasy with a mountain of fries and serves milkshakes and poo poo too? Or are you looking for a monstrous steakhouse-style you need to eat using a knife and fork with thick-cut fries?

Alternatively, if you're going to have a car or you don't mind wasting a few hours figuring out how to navigate the public transit in New Jersey, this place has literally the best sliders on planet.

I'm looking for something just plain delicious and not overly greasy, with good ingredients. My favorite burger here is In-N-Out, so it doesn't have to be high class. But since you say the lamb isn't lamby, I'll probably try that. I just had issues with the texture of it but it probably doesn't matter when it's ground up.

It seems like all airlines are offering round trip to NY for $300, so I guess JetBlue it is. You can't beat free checked bags nowadays.

Any unique sightseeing recommendations for a guy who's very tech-savvy (in IT), also likes comics and nerdy poo poo/internet/video games, also likes military stuff, but not majorly? I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to come with but he's pretending NYC has nothing to offer him :colbert: I tried to entice him by saying we could go to a taping of The Daily Show or Colbert Report, but his retort is that he could just watch it at home.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I "reserved" tickets for a Colbert Report taping in January, and the email they sent said "Tickets will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. All shows are overbooked to ensure capacity and no one is guaranteed entry."
The email also said "we recommend you get in line no later than 15 minutes prior to 6 pm"
Realistically, how early should I get there in order to get in?

e: also, average tipping rate in NYC.

bobula fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 15, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
A friend (and fellow goon) is hosting my boyfriend and I for about a week in January. She lives near the Hewlett stop on LIRR. I was thinking I was just going to pick up a 7-day metro pass and that would be that, but apparently it doesn't work on LIRR :(
What's the best route fare-wise to go, assuming we'll be going to and coming back from the city at least 5 times during our trip there and going all over the place in the city?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
C'mon, guys! Give me some advice!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

two_beer_bishes posted:

mta.info

N32 bus to Central & Mott, walk .07 miles to the A train station. $2.25 total and takes about 90min. Or you can take the LIRR and pay $10 and it only seems to save 20min or so.

See, telling the MTA site to find me a route gave me a 45 minute trip from Hewlett to Penn via LIRR for $7-something and no alternate routes. Cost isn't an issue, within reason, but time is (I may die spending hours on the train per day) so I think I may get an unlimited week Metro card and a 10-trip LIRR card and spend about $85 on transport for the week. Do transfers count as another trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Potentially going to NYC for three days, four nights in March. 75 dollars a day for food and drink is feasible isn't it?

Dear god, I hope so. I'm planning on spending less than half of that @_@

• Locked thread