Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Useful but unrelated note: When the avenue numbers go up, you're going west. When they go down you're going east. North the street numbers go up, south they go down. This is a vital fact that a lot of people, even New Yorkers, miss all the time. Don't be afraid to ask for directions; people are not assholes here.

True only for Manhattan and I guess streets in the Bronx.

In Queens, as Street numbers go up, you're headed East. As Avenue numbers go up, you're headed south. You'll also see Roads, Places, Courts, Terraces, and Drives, but these are always adjacent to a Street or Avenue of the same number running parallel. (i.e., you might see 73rd st, followed by 73rd rd, followed by 74th st.)

Meanwhile, in Brooklyn, for those portions where a numbered grid is even slightly coherent, Avenues increment upwards as you go Southeast (the grid in BK is tilted), a first numerically, and eventually, alphabetically instead. Streets increment as you head southwest. Unless you're in Williamsburg, where numbers increment in both directions, depending on how far you are off of Grand Street, or in Gravesend/Midwood/Sheepshead Bay/Bensonhurst/Coney Island, where it's both directions again, depending on how many blocks east or west of West St. you are.

And I haven't even mentioned the seperate grid in the Rockaways or the random rear end Bay # St's that run through Bensonhurst and other parts of southwest Bk, with totally incoherent numbering, often in between two streets that are part of the OTHER grid with totally seperate numbers.

Point is: Don't say 'Don't be afraid of the outer boro's' and then give inaccurate advice for navigating them.

OP: You shouldn't be afraid of the outer boros, they are awesome. But don't be afraid to ask for directions or look at a map - they make a hell of a lot less sense than Manhattan north of Houston does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Siroc posted:

I just found out that I'll be able to explore NYC alone for 5-6 hours early next month. What's the best way to keep possessions safe? Is a buttoned back pocket all thats necesary, or should I spring for one of those around the neck wallets? Also, if I carried a small day pack (backpack), would I look totally out of place/touristy?

A small backpack won't look out of place at all.

One of those around the neck wallets will.

It's New York City, not eastern or southern europe - you're much more likely to be mugged than pickpocketed, and even then, it's not terribly likely if you're in most of the areas you'd want to go as a tourist with only 6 hours to kill.

Why are you so scared of New York?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Siroc posted:

I'm just asking for any local advice on the subject because its impossible to argue I should be less concerned about my wallet in NYC than in Knoxville, TN.

NYC is the safest large city in America, and among the safest in the world.

With regard to the specific comparison vs. Knoxville:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=nyc+crime+rate+versus+knoxville+crime+rate

You are twice as likely to be assaulted and 7 times as likely to be raped in Knoxville, TN, than you are in New York.

It's *really really safe* here, so long as you aren't doing anything stupid.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Wrong time of year for Baseball. The season runs from April to September, with the post-season (playoffs/championship) in October and having just ended. If you want, you could attend a Hockey game. Basketball would be a possibility, but there's a labor dispute so the season is currently on hold. You could also go to an (American) Football game if you'll be in town on a Sunday. Because we have two local teams, one of them is almost always playing at home - tickets can be tough to come by since for the most part the sell out as season tickets, though StubHub usually has *something* available - and for less desirable match ups, they can be quite cheap at the last minute. Getting out to the Meadowlands is a pain though.

For craft beer, I'm fond of Barcade in Brooklyn and Rattle N Hum in Midtown, though there are tons of good places to find good stuff.

As for accommodation: Thats a tough price range, especially on this short notice: You might be able to get lucky if you look at accommodations in Queens (check out the various hotels in Long Island City or Astoria along the 7 line) or Hudson County in NJ (There are a few places right on the opposite side of the Lincoln Tunnel that are a short walk to a bus that will take you into Manhattan in just a few minutes.) I'd recommend against the latter option though, personally - it gets to be kind of a pain in the rear end, and I've stayed in a few of said hotels and they aren't great.

If you can swing an extra ~30 bucks/night above your top end, you open up a ton more options.

For food: What are you after? You can get *anything* here, so making recommendations without a specific request is hard.

November specific stuff: Depending on the specific week, you might be in town for the NYC Marathon, you might be in town for Thanksgiving and the kickoff of the Christmas season with it's attendant pomp and circumstance around town (At which point, walking down 5th Ave. and checking out the Christmas Windows in the department stores is a nifty tourist thing to do)... There's always something somewhere.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 30, 2011

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CanuckBassist posted:

Any recommendations for breakfast places in Manhattan? Small bakery with a few chairs outside? Something along those lines?

Neighborhood?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CanuckBassist posted:

I'm staying in Murray Hill, but I plan to wander all around the city anyways (photo buff), so I'm not opposed to venturing across town for something good.

Bit uptown from you, but...

http://cornercafe-bakery.com/home.html

Bread Pudding French Toast.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bobula posted:

Things I need to eat the most delicious of in NYC:
Cheesesteak
Pizza/Italian (within budgetary reason, not more than $20 pp tops)
Hamburger
Ramen??

I live in LA, so I've eaten pretty good of all of these items before, but I would like to try New York's bestish when I go in January.

e: Also, any tips if I'm hoping to see The Book Of Mormon while I'm there for like, less than a hundred bux? It looks pretty... sold out.

For Ramen, go to Momofuku. Better yet, go to Momofuku with 6 people and get the Duck (must be reserved in advance).

For a burger: Shake Shack is the best 'fast food' burger in the city, if not the country. Yes, better than In-n-Out for my money.

Pizza: Okay, first off, DiFara is poo poo. It's not a *bad* slice, but it's totally not worth trekking all the way out to Midwood, standing in line, and then paying three times the market rate (seriously, SIX BUCKS?) for a slice.

For a classic 'NY Style' pie, the best in town is Totonnos over in Coney Island. Since Totonnos is so out of the way, for a coal oven pie, Grimaldi's and Lombardis are acceptable substitutes if you won't make the trek.

For pizza by the slice, the absolute best is Patsy's, up in East Harlem - it's the only coal oven joint that serves by the slice, and yes, the oven makes a big difference. Again, if you're not going to trek that far out of your way, I like Joe's on 6th & Bleecker, but if you stay away from Ray's, and Famiglia, et al and the dollar slice joints, you'll do fine.

For a Neapolitan pie, and/or for interesting toppings, I like Motorino (in the East Village only these days), and Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint. Oh, and Forcella (Williamsburg/LES) has a specialty called a Pizza Montanara that is totally unique and incredible. (yeah, that's right, fried pizza: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/07/forcella-pizza-williamsburg-brooklyn-nyc.html)

A few other Most Delicious Things in New York:

For Hot Dogs, go to Grey's Papaya on 6th and 8th, or, if you like to cover your hot dog in interesting and exciting toppings, Crif Dog on St. Marks off of 1st. (If you want to try out Crif Dog, and also want to have some great cocktails in a nice little hidden speakeasy, check out PDT. Reservations advised.)

Chinese Food is a specialty in NY, just like it is out west, for the authentic dingy chinatown experience, Wo Hop is the famous place, Hop Kee is my favorite, and Prosperity Dumplings offers 5 dumplings for a buck and is one of the best deals in town. More importantly though, the absolute best thing in Chinatown is the Soup Dumplings over at Joe's Shanghai. If you've never had soup dumplings before, it's a must.

Oh, and for good measure: The best chocolate in town is here: http://mastbrothers.com/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Totonno's Manhattan locations closed a year or so ago. He couldn't make rent on them. :(

Will second the random places with good menus on the wall outside. It's actually how I've found my current favorite Tapas place, which is weirdly in the middle of nowhere in Jersey City.

For dessert, one other recommendation would be the Bourgeoise Pig over in the East Village.

Get the 50/50 dessert fondue with Peanut Butter and whatever variety of chocolate you prefer.

Now I'm hungry dammnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bam thwok posted:

Yes, that is the empire state building. As for the other, if you're talking about the tall building in the background where you can just barely make out the spire, that's the Chrysler building. If you're talking about the boxy building closer to the foreground with the ambigram of "1" in red, that's One Penn Plaza.

Are you sure that's the Chrysler?

Looking East from the West side, wouldn't the Chrysler be to the left of the ESB? It's about 10 blocks to the north after all.

• Locked thread