Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobula posted:

A friend (and fellow goon) is hosting my boyfriend and I for about a week in January. She lives near the Hewlett stop on LIRR. I was thinking I was just going to pick up a 7-day metro pass and that would be that, but apparently it doesn't work on LIRR :(
What's the best route fare-wise to go, assuming we'll be going to and coming back from the city at least 5 times during our trip there and going all over the place in the city?

mta.info

N32 bus to Central & Mott, walk .07 miles to the A train station. $2.25 total and takes about 90min. Or you can take the LIRR and pay $10 and it only seems to save 20min or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobula posted:

See, telling the MTA site to find me a route gave me a 45 minute trip from Hewlett to Penn via LIRR for $7-something and no alternate routes. Cost isn't an issue, within reason, but time is (I may die spending hours on the train per day) so I think I may get an unlimited week Metro card and a 10-trip LIRR card and spend about $85 on transport for the week. Do transfers count as another trip?

I don't know about the LIRR, I've only taken it a few times. Usually transfers between the bus and subway are free. If you go to the MTA website you can change how it routes you, depending on time, cost, or number of transfer. Also remember that once you're on the subway you can get all over Manhattan and Brooklyn (well, the entire subway system) for the cost of one fare, where you are limited on the LIRR by those stations (not many on Manhattan or Brooklyn compared to the subway).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

roop posted:

Going from JFK to the Sheraton Brooklyn (228 Duffield Street), it looks like I can:

Take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station, take the LIRR to Atlantic Station and be a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Can anyone verify if this is worth it (cost < $10) versus just taking a cab ($45)?

And is it safe?

You could also take the airtrain to Howard Beach and hop on the A train to Jay Street, probably save you a few bucks. Don't forget that in addition to the LIRR fare you're stuck paying $5 to get off the airtrain at Jamaica and Howard Beach.

Is it safe? Yeah, I take the A train from howard beach all the time and used to take the airtrain every day for work and I've never had problems. Walking around Jay street area will be no problem either.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Looking at flights to NYC from Toronto. Does it make a difference what airport I fly into? A quick google seems to suggest JFK, La Guardia and Newark aren't that far from Manhattan between the three.

I hate JFK with a passion mostly because of how dirty it always is and the taxi delays are ridiculous (I've sat on the ground taxiing around waiting for a gate for time period longer than my actual flight) and one-way taxiways slow everything down. I prefer LGA just on the cleanliness and the recent upgrades to Delta's terminals are pretty nice. Never flown into EWR but I haven't heard many good things about it.

JFK has a connection to the subway system via the Airtrain and LGA requires a bus ride to get to a train but both airports are served by the NYC Airporter shuttle service which for ~$15/person will take you to Manhattan. Cabs are a flat rate $45($). If you're renting a car it will probably suck regardless of which airport.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also rent a GPS. Even if it's like ten a day. Very worth it.

Google maps on my phone works a million times better than the Garmin my wife bought. A lot of the roads and highways are too close together for the stupid this to figure out what we're on, but google maps has never failed us.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hello. I'm on the East Coast and never been to New York so I'm going to drive out there for a day. What's worth seeing in ~5 hours? I know it's not a lot of time, but it'd be dumb to live here for a while and never go so I figured I'd go.

5 hours? drat, that depends on what you want to do. Do you want to do touristy stuff, eat, see a show, hang out at a park?

The Staten island ferry is the best way to see the statue of liberty, central park is awesome (I've spent an entire day just walking though that!), times square is cool the first time especially at night.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Pizza Suprema on 8th ave has some really awesome pizza, but as long as you don't go to Sbarro you'll get awesome pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking into taking a weekend trip in mid-May to NYC with 7 of my in laws. We're gonna be staying in Jersey, near Manhattan. Other than the usual touristy monument and central park stuff, what can you guys recommend we check out? I know the mother-in-law wants to go to china town, a couple others wanna go to Times Square, my wife and I wanna go to the history museum, and we're all apparently checking out the WTC/9/11 memorial. Anything really interesting that's off the beaten path would be great.

Also, how well does Trip Advisor do at sorting out the best restaurants in town? It hasn't failed me yet, but I know that NYC is kind of a food mecca. Would I be better off limiting restaurant searches to wherever I'm planning on being for that particular meal, or should I search city wide for whatever I'm hungry for and head in that direction?

I use Yelp in the city and have not been disappointed. The Roosevelt Island tram is neat if you've never done it, I think it's the same cost of a subway ride each way (we came off the subway for it so got the free transfer going out to the island). The Staten Island ferry is a free way to get close to the Statue of Liberty without paying for the $20+ tour.

• Locked thread