Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wordmuncher
Mar 11, 2005
1. You will have to get very lucky to find Book of Mormon tickets, but you can likely pick-up Memphis tickets at a TKTS booth. I recommend the one in South Street Seaport as there is hardly ever a line (http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56), but the one in Times Square is centrally located in case you'd rather not take the subway trip (I estimate that Times Square takes twice as long including the subway trip). Avoid buying tickets from scalpers unless you're feeling lucky/generous - New York has had a good number of fake ticket schemes that apparently never get old.

2. It depends very much on what you want to buy and your price-point:
2a. For higher-end/expensive clothes check-out SoHo (specifically the area approximately two blocks east/west of Broadway between Houston and Grand St.) and the fancy department stores on Fifth Avenue, e.g., Bergdorf-Goodman, Bloomingdales.
2b. For a slightly cheaper option try Macy's on Herald Square (a huge department store and not cheap, but it's not Bloomingdale's).
2c. For good clothes bargains I recommend UniQlo, a Japanese brand that recently opened a flag-ship store in New York. They have three stores in the city and offer cool, inexpensive clothes. Century 21 is another gigantic store, but offers some of the lowest prices - it's similar to Marshall's/TJ Maxx, but it's really a New York institution, PLUS it's right next to Ground Zero and Zuccotti Park (where Occupy Wall St occupied).
2d. For Camera equipment check-out B&H Photo or Adorama.
2e. For miscellaneous electronics head to J&R

3. There are tons of good restaurants in New York that offer great food. 11 Madison Park is one of New York's most highly regarded restaurants, but it will also be hard to get reservations there. If you're interested in finding a list of top-restaurants in New York, I recommend reading through the nymag.com and nytimes.com top restaurant reviews. One of my personal favorite restaurants (and possibly the cheapest single Michelin star restaurant) is Spotted Pig (http://thespottedpig.com/)

PokerJoe posted:

Hi Everyone!

We are heading over from London on 17th Dec until 21st Dec and staying at the Hudson Hotel.

Information has been great but can anyone advise:

How likely are our chance to get discount theatre tickets on the 17th? We wanted to see Book of Mormon or Memphis but I assume its like London where you can get cheap deals (if not best seats) from third party vendors.

Are there any particularly good areas for shopping? Department stores, outlets etc

We want one seriously good modern American meal. I thought Per Se but we can't get in. On the same note where can we get a great brunch?

We are probably going to go to Brooklyn Bowl as a friend in Stamford wants to try it out on Sunday - anything else around there worth doing?

Sure I'll have more questions but gimmie answers!

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread