Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

jmy posted:

I will be living in NYC for 7 months starting this January for a graduate research internship. Since most of the info in this thread is geared towards people visiting rather than actually living there, I have a few questions for NYC residents. Are there any general customs I should know of, or tips or tricks on how to adapt to the city quickly? Things I should definitely do / see? Any things I should definitely not do / avoid? Also my internship is non-paid so I will be living off my student loans, any general help regarding budgetting in NYC is appreciated. I realize these are very vague questions, so please ask if you need any more info.

Some general information about me:

-I'm from Holland, currently live in a fairly large city (by Dutch standards, ~400.000 people) and study in Amsterdam, so I'm not new to cities in general.
-I will commute from the upper west side (housing) to downtown (internship) and back every day.
-Breakfast and dinner will be provided so I won't have to worry about that.

You should check out the thread for NYC residents and ask there (not saying you won't get answers here, but you'll probably get more help there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ole_bjorne posted:

Hello New Yorkers!

I am considering visiting NY for first time, for ~3 nights around Christmas with my wife and have couple of questions and need some recommendations:
1. Worth going there for Christmas at all - will everything be closed?
Not a New Yorker, but I visit often, including in December every year. No, plenty of stuff should be open (though not sure if museums and such will be open on Christmas day). The city is worth seeing around Christmas.

quote:

2. What to do in general - i.e. just roam around the city, or focus on visiting theaters, museums?
Spend at least the first day roaming. The tree at Rockefeller Center is impressive, but you sure as hell better be okay with crowds (like, shoulder-to-shoulder-30-minutes-to-walk-50-feet crowds). If you want to look at ice skaters, go to Central Park. Go there anyway, the view of the Plaza over the pond is stereotypically Christmasy ever since Home Alone 2. The carriage horses wear wreaths, too :3:

You can go to a museum or show if you want, but really, with only 3 days you won't get bored just roaming and taking it all in.

quote:

3. Any particular must-see during this time?
I think MoMA also has a tree. Central Park is a must, and since you've never been to NYC, Times Square (again, be okay with crowds and don't bother going in any stores), maybe FAO Schwarz, all the typical buildings, shopping if you're into that.

quote:

4. We will probably stay on Manhattan, so we don't need car I assume

No, definitely not. Just get metrocards and a subway map. Wear comfortable shoes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

dominator posted:

First picture is facing southeast somewhere around 35th and 10th

Pretty sure you're on this roof.

Google Earth 3d buildings makes this super easy for New York pictures (but dominator's hint helped a lot). That was fun and I kinda want to do more!

• Locked thread