Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Whispering Machines posted:

How're Ministry live? They're playing with Chelsea Wolfe this spring (which is... weird? I dunno) for a bunch of shows. Chelsea is great live, never seen Ministry.

Grendel and Aesthetic Perfection are also playing Boston. Neither show is crazy expensive ($45 Ministry/CW and $20 AP/Grendel I think).

Ministry has been pretty bad live for awhile now but I'll go and hope my theory that a Trump presidency has put some life into aging industrial acts. Haujobb, Cubanate and RevCo were all great last year.

FLA not so much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That's a shame. I almost saw FLA and Revolting Cocks recently but life got in the way.

It's not even that FLA was that bad, Bill was just pretty clearly going through the motions. It was just disappointing after seeing Cubanate and RevCo just tear it up that night. I doubt the David/Luc lineup of RevCo could put on a show that wasn't entertaining.

The news of Jeremy Inkel's death however is really quite sad.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 26, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mennoknight posted:

News for you guys, FLA sucked when I saw them 15 years ago too

Yeah it's not a new thing. Bill once spent an entire set complaining about how much his tour bus sucked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Amelia Arsenic (formerly of Angelspit) just put out a new EP

https://glitchmoderecordings.bandcamp.com/album/queen-of-risk

I really liked it. Angelspit got pretty bad after Blood Death Ivory but her first solo EP was pretty good and this has a nice Wax Trax kind of sound to it. You can really hear Sean Payne's influence on it. It's pay what you want so if you've had any interest in her music it's worth checking out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I knew I was going to regret agreeing to go to Combichrist and telling her to get tickets.

If I had bought the tickets I'd have procrastinated and would have a good excuse not to buy them now!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

13Pandora13 posted:

Suicide Commando is touring again and is also actually coming to Richmond. Between that and Grendel coming here my tiny mechanical heart is all aflutter.

Weird, Providence but not Boston or New York? I'll take it, but still, weird!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

magiccarpet posted:

Is Front Line Assembly a decent live show? Some NYC dates have shown up.

Go to Cold Waves, they'll play Mindphaser, Bill will donk away on some little drum when he has nothing else to do and it will be fine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cliche Guevara posted:

So, who's going to Coldwaves? It's in three cities this year, but I'm going to Chicago of course.

Can't wait!

I'm going to NYC, not blown away by the line up but it'll be a good time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LabyaMynora posted:

Selling energy drinks.

So selling superfruits didn't work out for him?

Just got back from 3 nights of Cold Waves NYC.

Cocksure was OK on Night 1 and Lead into Gold was one of the worst sets I've seen. Just incredibly boring.

Chemlab on the other hand was great. Incredible energy, fun set, and Jared Louche was clearly incredibly psyched on stage. He then came and hung out in the crowd and at his merch table with anyone who wanted to talk to him and was beaming.

Ohgr was pretty good. A goofy fun stage show, and while I'd have hoped they'd play a different mix of stuff it was all pretty good.

C-Tec was fantastic on Night 2. It's unfathomable that Jean-Luc is 61. Granted he has a shaved head and wears sunglasses everywhere but he doesn't look it, doesn't act it and doesn't sound it. Great set and amazing it sounded as good as it did given I don't think he's toured C-Tec in ages.

Meat Beat Manifesto was fine, not my thing but if it was yours it was probably great?

Wasn't into any of the opening bands on Night 3, saw half of the Black Queen's set, wasn't my thing.

I wasn't expecting a ton out of the Front Line Assembly set. Bill was very flat last year when I saw them with Cubanate and RevCo, but holy poo poo.

The whole band had way more energy, Bill was on fire and the set list was pretty good. Especially seeing them do Gun and Millennium. He even looked healthier. I went with someone who has seen them since the Hard Wired tour and thought this was their best set since then.

Anyway, if you have a chance to go to Chicago or LA do it. I wasn't completely sold on the line up going in, but the key bands all delivered and those two cities get a slightly better line up too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

magiccarpet posted:

Sound at Cold Waves was pretty poo poo I thought and they forgot to set up a mic for the singer of The Black Queen which pretty much hosed them up for their whole set.

It was bad at Gramercy if you were near the walls but I thought the sound at Irving Plaza was pretty good. It was hit or miss last year when FLA, RevCo and Cubanate played at Gramercy too. We stood towards the middle during FLA and it was fine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you preordered the C-Tec remasters the download codes went out while they wait to ship the physical stuff. Weird to live in a world where Cut is readily available.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedenius posted:

Ooops. You did tell me. And I totally agree. Everything after ADIOS has sounded like a KMFDM cover band writing their own songs. Incredibly samey, bland and uninspired for the most part. HELL YEAH sounds more like the 90's KMFDM. A little odd and very catchy.

I really liked WWIII, more than a lot of their peak material. Everything since... not so much.

Front Line Assembly has an album coming out next year and a single Eye On You is out on the 16th. Pretty sure there will be a music video for this too as they were about to film something last month. I'm mildly optimistic, Warmech was OK for what it was, but in terms of actual albums I haven't liked anything since Implode. I guess I liked Fallout in terms of the remix albums? Bill seemed pretty into things at Cold Waves so maybe he's feeling inspired.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david_a posted:

No love for Epitaph or Civilization?

I thought AS and IED were both pretty mediocre but they still managed to have some cool songs on them. Echogenetic at least ditched that boring sound for something new, but other than two tracks I thought it was a disappointment compared to AirMech (which I think is one of their best albums since the glory days). WarMech sorta grew on me but I still don’t think it’s as good as AM.

Civilization is fine. Echogenetic has some of the absolute most painful lyrics I've heard out of FLA. Blood is just an all time bad song. The haujobb remix almost saves it by being ridiculous. But Civilization is at least inoffensive. I have zero opinion on Epitaph. Maybe I'll give it another listen this week.

It's also hard to top a peak like TNI, Millennium and Hard Wired. Especially since Hard Wired is followed by Remix Wars and you get three good FLA remixes of Die Krupps and two great remixes of FLA. The less said for Transparent Species the better. They peaked really high with three different sounding albums and just haven't found a sound that captured me since. I like Implode but it isn't compelling like those three.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david_a posted:

Epitaph has some real good tracks on it; Insolence and Existance (that’s how it’s spelled; never change Leeb :allears:) are top-tier.

“Worst FLA lyrics” would be a heated battle though. Which FLAvour of the Weak song is it that has “greased with lotion” in it?

I'm just partial to Blood after seeing the crowd die during it.

The best song title is a run away for The Bonening though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The new FLA album includes a cover of Rock Me Amadeus. Can't say I expected that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That reminds me, Blutengel has gotten back to the vampire thing, with a song literally titled "Vampire." That theme seemed to fade into the shadows in the past few records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBIW9UVtzQ

But people want vampires. Though musically he has plateaued I think. Feels like he's been going through the motions for several records now.

Not as funny as the video for Black but the lyrics were funnier.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let's rank some loving FLA.

1. Tactical Neural Implant: Fantastic album, is the sound I most associate with early 90s electro-industrial. Some great remixes too.

2. Hard Wired: Some days I like it more than Millennium because it's a bit more refined, some days I like it less. Today I like it more. Also has some fantastic remixes, especially Neologic Spasm and Barcode on Remix Wars.

3. Millennium. Millennium is one of their best songs, no one will agree but Victim of a Criminal also is. I loving love samples and love the blatant guitar samples. Less exciting remixes on this one.

4. Caustic Grip: A few weaker songs, but the Provision and Iceolate are some of their best work, especially the extended mix of Provision.

5. Implode: I can't stand FLAvor but this has some really strong songs like Retribution.

6. Gashed Senses: The best songs here are better with their single mixes but they are still strong songs. Big Money is up there with The Bonening in terms of FLA material that makes me laugh.

7. I assume Artificial Soldier would be here but for some reason I only own Fallout which I mostly like.

8. Civilization: I kind of like it.

9. Epitaph: Ditto. It's fine.

Everything else...

Last: Echogenetic. This was very bad and even Daniel Myer couldn't save Blood from being atrocious. It was also very funny to see live because the crowd had been super into all the old stuff and died for Blood.

Reclamation is one of my favorite Greatest Hits albums.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mennoknight posted:

I even have the P.O.W.E.R. EP somewhere. It's bad. But Victim of a Criminal is an rear end slapper

That's one of the most disappointing albums I've ever bought.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like it too. Fun video on top of a pretty good cover.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Best FLA album since Implode. Which is saying... it didn't bore me and I liked half a dozen songs. Plus the songs where the lyrics made me laugh were danceable and had some energy to them unlike the ones I really hated on Echogenetic. Spitting Wind wasn't good, but it was weird and unexpected, so I'll take that over Epitaph and Civilization which were fine but felt boring.

I may genuinely listen to Living a Lie more than anything on this album, it really made me laugh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like the new Health (sometimes stylized HEALTH) album but kind of agree with the above. Feel Nothing (sometimes stylized FEEL NOTHING) is the stand out track. Strange Days (1999) and The Message are good, as is the title track. The rest really feels like a jumble to me. It happened with hide too. I get why they do the emotionally detached style vocals, but it leads to stuff not standing out. With hide I started out really liking Castration Anxiety but growing bored with it.

With this I was a little iffy on it but the stand out tracks were spread out that it kept my attention and I mostly liked it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They are doing one more round of screenings for the Wax Trax documentary in conjunction with record store day and the twist this time is Ministry and Cold Cave will play sets at the free screenings. Paul Barker will be doing Q&As but not playing with Ministry. Ministry will only be playing "Wax Trax era" songs, but they've looked so bad that I'm not sure it's worth seeing them for free.

Dates in Chicago, Brooklyn, Toronto, Austin, SF and LA in April, with tickets available as a record store day thing.

Also to prove my brain is completely broken after listening to the new FLA more I actually really like it. Rock Me Amadeus played well on the dance floor too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david_a posted:

I like it too. I went into it with fairly low expectations it I think it’s a lot of fun unlike the somewhat dreary tedium of Artificial Soldier and IED. The guest vocals help; I’ve had “wake up the coma” (a delightfully Leeb-ian phrase whether he wrote it or not) stuck in my head for a while. I was also not expecting to hear “gently caress an alien and you’ll be free” in an FLA song. :wtf:

Bill heard Blendwerk and decided he could be just as horny as Daniel. It's a really horny album in general.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I've found Blutengel's music too boring to actually really listen to for a long time but their gimmick does make their videos really entertaining. I respect their dedication to the gimmick although it isn't as funny for me as say The Death Stars. Wondering if they were a gimmick or not left me with many sleepless nights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david_a posted:

His lyrics aren’t amazing but this is industrial we’re talking about; Ministry & FLA are basically 95% aggressive nonsense and Skinny Puppy is nearly incoherent stream-of-conscience ramblings most of the time.

You should try Purest Feeling, his first demo “album.” Some of the PHM songs show up in different forms along with a few dropped tracks. It’s an interesting look at how he formed the sound of PHM.

haujobb's lyrics actively got worse when Daniel's English improved and he wasn't just copying and pasting from the Neuromancer or putting literal nonsense in his songs.

I'm not huge into early NIN but I think The Fragile (which will be 20!) and Year Zero are both excellent. To me NIN got great when all the early electro-industrial bands were either breaking up or getting kind of lovely. Then NIN kind of got bad with their last few releases while Skinny Puppy and haujobb's last releases were really good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Despite NIN not being the way I got into industrial they were super important to the way I consume music. A friend in HS wanted to get rid of all of his NIN CDs and so I ended up with all the NIN remix releases and started thinking "hey these are better than the album cuts." And that's a bad thing to think when all of these bands are putting out remix albums.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best version of California Uber Alles is a cover so maybe he will continue in that grand tradition!

(He's going to both sides fascism like he always does.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

The best version is the Reagan rewrite from In God We Trust, Inc.

Sorry it's The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, you can choose either the album version or the Virus 100 version but those are the only correct answers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

teethgrinder posted:

Having a bit of ennui, and bummed that Ashbury Heights is split again ... can anyone think of upcoming albums to look forward to? The early Covenant stuff hasn't been promising for me. I lovvvved The Blinding Dark.

Haujobb is working on something although it seems like they just started.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Back in 2017 I saw Haujobb do a show in Brooklyn. The venue got changed last minute so maybe 30 people showed. Daniel ended up being in quite a hilarious mood and bantered with the crowd the whole show. It took until about halfway through that I started filming in between songs (so I didn't get him talking about starting out as a Skinny Puppy rip off) but I remembered I never uploaded the clips I had. So here's a couple 18 month old clips of a Haujobb show no one went to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE3do79qKDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBL7t__Iah0

One of the most entertaining shows I have been to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The stories Daniel Myer was posting of their set looked really fun, looking forward to this weekend.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SacrificialGoat posted:

The show was pretty good, I definitely recommend going.

How long was it? I can't imagine it being a long show even with the Liebknecht set but we're trying to double dip on the show and then a restaurant reservation that isn't open super late.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SacrificialGoat posted:

The opener was listed as starting at 8 but didn't go on until 9ish. He played for 40 minutes and Nitzer Ebb was on by 10. I wanna say the set was around an hour and a half and we were out before midnight.

Thanks, about what I figured!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitzer Ebb put on a great show. Went with a friend I've been to half a dozen shows with and plenty of club nights but I had never see her actually dance at one until last night. I take it as further evidence the show was awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SacrificialGoat posted:

ohGr is teasing something.

I'm genuinely more excited for this than new Skinny Puppy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
New Cubanate just dropped. Really excited for this. Marc Heal said they'd recorded a bunch of songs when they did We Are Crowd but hadn't figured out lyrics for them. That was a really strong track and they were fantastic on tour in 2017.

https://armalyte.bandcamp.com/album/cubanate-kolossus

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bad list Clock DVA's Buried Dreams isn't #1. They should be ashamed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

boo_radley posted:

Daniel Myer's back on his Liebknecht: https://www.beatport.com/release/produkt/2633547

It's real good, friends.

I really liked the Koln single and his set opening for Nitzer Ebb. Really infectious stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

teethgrinder posted:

All I remember from that was the loathing of The Process, which I took umbrage with.

Also the incessant fights about what industrial is.

My friend let me tell you how The Process is actually the best Skinny Puppy album.

Pope Guilty posted:

I like ViVisectVi and Too Dark Park a LOT but mostly can take or leave the rest of their catalogue. Ogre's vocals don't really work so great when the music isn't as abrasive.

ohGr is great because it's less abrasive music with his vocals. Also more rapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

This doesn't really remind me of FLA but I am interested in the album after reading his thoughts on how it was drawing inspiration from memories of East Germany.