Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I second that.

This one is for obligatory post-workout sauna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVWrs2ltCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Death in June is totally nazi though, and neo-folk is mostly trash.

Rome is okay.

Really though, industrial music needs to be either explicitly left-wing or subverting the totalitarian aesthetic by mixing it with dancing shirtless gay guys from tech-support.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 1, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pope Guilty posted:

I will never stop loving what a goddamned nerdy genre industrial is.

https://soundcloud.com/kommandoxy/genesis-does-what-nintendont

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Youth Code is great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tias posted:

300 bux for a 24" cotton rag with paint on it? I guess I see now why people get annoyed by Laibach.

Its 500 bux now yo

not very laibach

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Watts is great, like a sleazier J. G. Thirlwell.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Worth seeing Ministry? Al Jourgensen looks like Charles Manson these days.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tias posted:

So do you guys like Sturm Cafe? It's quite underrated, imo :)

Yea, is good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Potential BFF posted:

I'm going to echo the popular sentiment that 3TEETH's shutdown.exe loving owns.

I pretty much forgot about Mortiis but I guess he's got a recent-ish album and what I've heard of it is pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4BYh5xCPU

Crunchy.

he ditched the nose gimmick? Weaksauce.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Future Days posted:

SK's doing the good old "industrial frontman" thing.

What drama is this referring to? The lovely mixing he approved, or band members working with other bands?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

boo_radley posted:

Aloe vera futures on the commodities market

Oh, the health drink poo poo he was flogging?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Future Days posted:

re: KMFDM, this song is actually pretty decent! SK, music-wise, definitely needs to get out of his comfort zone and do more experimental and noisy poo poo like in PROLET-KULT (which is getting a follow-up, iirc).

That would sound tired even in the futurepop era if you ask me. It's banal and repetitive, and not in a good way.

I think WWIII remains the last good KMFDM album. Hau Ruck has some decent tracks, but it feels more like an extension of/companion to WWIII than a separate album.

Although, I think they should get back to the sound they had in More & Faster, so what do I know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221AWmsuX84

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

extradite THIS! posted:

It's actually good as gently caress

divabot posted:

You should definitely apply for a full refund on your excellent opinions.

Did you know you can actually listen to Merzbow records?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

david_a posted:

Numan's new record seems to at least have a middle eastern theme to it.

I'm trying to think of examples of industrial with 'world music' influences and I'm not having much luck. Really early KMFDM? Maybe some of the FLA side projects?

To The Hilt by Die Krupps was a huge hit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
And One is a good band, but weirdly gleefully derivative. Steve Naghavi is basically cosplaying as Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode at all times, and they even covered the main hit of one of the other headliners.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Saw Blanck Mass the weekend before last. It was pretty good. I mean, it's just a spotify playlist for most of the show, with the dude doing some screaming into a mic hooked up to some effects for the last track, but the music takes on a different vibe when it is played that loud.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Cleaner posted:

drat!! The new Volt 9000 album just got public praise from some big names!

Al Jourgensen from Ministry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j45_4E75IFU

Daniel Myers of Haujobb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nKlNZLVTI

Alexis Mincolla of 3Teeth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJw0durHB5A

Brian Graupner of The Gothsicles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXg3D8EZGVE

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but those are some pretty strong endorsements.

This is how you get sued.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Prop Wash posted:

Wulfband has a new single available on Spotify, "Full Frontal Sabotage." They've also got a picture on their Facebook that says 2017-11, so new Wulfband album coming, probably, or maybe a tour? Whatever, I'm in.

Speaking of spotify, Daniel Graves has a pretty good public playlist on there called "industrial pop" https://open.spotify.com/user/1120018927/playlist/30BUPgw52SWNm2ZWZZc86A Check it out, whatever, I know some people aren't big on his industrial pop schtick, but if it ain't your thing then post the best Spotify playlist u got

That single gives me hope. It's like old school EBM met KMFDM when they were good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
To be fair, as far as aggrotech goes Harsh Generation is by far the most listenable album out there. Almost all of the songs are quite catchy, and there's a nice old-school Front Line Assembly feel to it with the Sci-Fi samples and stuff. I'd take Grendel over Combichrist any day of the week.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I never really listened to much Icon of Coil because the club would always play that Dead Enough for Life song which is too Bon Jovi for even me; liker of Bon Jovi.

That's because that and Existence In Progress are the only decent Icon of Coil songs.

Both are pretty indistinguishable from the popular Apoptygma Berzerk tracks, so if you need more artistically bankrupt scandinavian futurepop there's always that.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
TR/ST has been my favorite band since I discovered them back in 2013. People who dig him should check out his demo-reels from before TR/ST which a buddy of his or something put out on YouTube. There's some proto-versions of a bunch of the tracks from the first album and it's interesting to see how far he's gotten production-wise. Also some mix-tapes which really shows his influences available.

Happy to hear that Maya is returning, hopefully this means a faster turnaround, because the wait after Joyland has been painfully long and Robert seems content to just repeatedly tour his old stuff in Mexico without someone to give him a kick in the butt.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hubbardologist posted:

If you like the Thirwell, you should probably check out the early PIG stuff like Poke in the Eye with a Sharp Stick

I second this. His new stuff is good as well, but the old weird stuff where it sounds like he's been sitting up in the middle of the night sampling his TV is really good and sets up his persona a lot.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste and Psalm 69 are the only good Ministry albums, but Animositisomina is ok.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Here's some awesome Mexican EBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd2RvhVgigg

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever heard old school EBM in Spanish before but I am extremely ok with it.

Edit: I am now discovering there appears to be a pretty solid EBM scene in Mexico and it is a refreshing change from shaven headed singers growling in English or German.

Yeah, it does not surprise me. Whenever I check the about page of industrial/ebm bands Mexico City is always at the top of the "Where people listen" list. Seems to be a huge scene down there.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's a great pairing. I hope they come to Norway.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's faithful to the ohGr concept, which is disappointing as I just want more 80's Skinny Puppy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Priest is a weird mix of New Retro Wave/Synthwave and EBM/Electro-Industrial.

Could be good. Does that mean that Synthwave has reached critical mass when cross-over acts start appearing?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Verschwende deine jugend is the best DAF song.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Prop Wash posted:

Post-show edit: my thoughts upon seeing that Nitzer Ebb has been announced for Amphi 2019: gently caress yeah, I’ve never seen Nitzer Ebb live! Someone else’s audible thoughts, spoken loudly: “who’s Nitzer Ebb?”

Don't touch their kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Mm38c50UQ

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
You will find lovely people in any community, but any sexist or racist trends I blame on aggrotech and neofolk respectively. Oh, and American counter-culture as a whole pivoting from anarchism and left wing politics to libertarianism and ultimately right wing politics during the 00's.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

A human heart posted:

The early Neofolk guys started off in industrial and punk and came to their politics before they started doing music with acoustic guitars, so that doesn't really make sense. I don't think American counter culture was ever particularly left wing in general, and industrial is so associated with European scenes and bands that that doesn't make much sense as an explanation either.

Maybe I am giving the North-American (mainly Canadian) hacktivist / cyberpunk scenes of the late 90's and early 00's too much credit, but that seemed to be among the last active scenes before Industrial "died". They were overtly political scenes, seeing Industrial music as a suitable soundtrack for the inevitable uprising during the Bush years.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
LaPlegua is a total dick, and pretty much a straight up misogynist nazi. It's not like he's was being subtle about it before, but his latest tour was called Make Europe Great Again. Hopefully the Industrial scene will be rid of him now since the alt-right is embracing rockabilly as a genre and LaPlegua has started a rockabilly band called Scandinavian Cock to get on that trend.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That nin song about loving has been used a bunch with no royalties.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

teethgrinder posted:

Uh sidenote ... the last KMFDM is ... good??

I'd gotten rather bored of them and stopped paying attention, but someone convinced me to give HELL YEAH a try. Doesn't have that samey sound they'd developed post-Adios.

No, it is bad, and WWIII/Hau Ruck were the last decent albums.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pope Guilty posted:

I would've said ATTAK and even that's got weak material on it.

Hau Ruck is basically just a re-hash of WWIII, but it's at least a competent re-hash. A lot of people don't like WWIII because they feel it is overrated compared to Nihil and Angst, and they have a point, but it was still a pretty slick production that tapped into some of the same Bush-era energy that Ministry was going for. Everything post Hau Ruck just felt either out of place, really uninspired or like they had jumped the shark with the self-deprecation. "KMFDM sucks" became really cringe once they started sucking.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pope Guilty posted:

I'd like some suggestions, particularly for EBM in the general feel of early Nitzer or Spetsnaz

Spetsnaz is already about the best early 2000s homage to Nitzer Ebb that you're going to find. I mean, you could look into the semi-ironic stylings of Sturm Cafe, Jager 90 and Spark!, but it is honestly pretty bad, and you would be much better of making a lateral move from Nitzer Ebb to Front 242 or even DAF.

Skip Anhalt stuff altogether. It's pretty much music made to keep the local EBM communities in Germany and Scandinavia alive, and it's entirely derivative and artistically bankrupt. The only actually good thing to make it out of there is Wulfband, which really fits more into the next wave of EBM-inspired artists that also include Youth Code and Boy Harsher. Definitely check those bands out.

The latest thing is merging EBM-revival with Berlin Techno. Fixmer/McCarthy is the act leading the way.

edit: this post is entirely insufferable, sorry.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 9, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought Rome's shtick was being the "sort of lefty" neo-folk band, but I guess he's had a change of heart.

quote:

ROME also show a side of dark folk which, due to its seductive straightforwardness, showcases a new and surprising element as well.

Once again, Reuter has taken the fate of Europe as the thematic focus of his work, although with a new, energetic despair and, yes... anger. Against a backdrop of guitars and howling machines, Reuter deploys his powerful, enraged voice to sing of Europe's precarious situation. ... This teaser release proves yet again that ROME are not afraid to tackle difficult issues.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Danger - Octopus! posted:

My desperate hope is that once it's actually out it'll become clear that in fact the precarious situation is the rise of the far right and that's bad, but OTOH what the gently caress is up with that t-shirt come on, wearing something with that slogan should get you punched. gently caress sake.

I kind of doubt it, but it would be nice. In an interview in 2016 he was asked about being seen as left wing even though he professes his music to be apolitical, and his answers seemed noncommittal for someone who says he shuns ambiguity:

quote:

I understand that Rome specifically isn’t meant to express a specific political narrative, and indeed your complete avoidance of that mindset has been a crucial part of Rome’s identity for many fans. Still, you’ve managed to—as an individual—gather a bit of a reputation as being left-leaning, which itself is a “breath of fresh air” for many people who have found your work through the chasms of neofolk music. Do you take any pride in your ability to project that sort of stature? Or, perhaps, does it bother you that fans are applying a political image to you that you haven’t outspokenly professed on your own?

The way you put it is very flattering, thank you. I don’t know how much of the assumption is true and I don’t really know what people project to this or not. When you’re at the centre of it, you can’t see it. I mean, I’ve only been honest about not believing there’s any middle ground when it comes to racism and homophobia, for example. And my back-catalog includes many songs that obviously go against the grain in some way. But as you’ve mentioned, I would not like ROME to be seen as a ‘political band’. That tarnishes things. I don’t want to talk about politics all day long, either. ROME does not push a particular philosophy like some bands (not just in the underground) do. My leaning to the left of things—or whatever it is—is not that important, and I don’t think politics should get in the way of making good art. I’m not saying art is by definition apolitical. I have an opinion, and I’m not afraid to voice it, even if that’s considered uncool. I don’t see why I should cloak anything in ambiguity. ROME’s songs certainly stand for something. ‘For’, as opposed to ‘against’. Yes, I’m interested in politics, as I am interested in history and philosophy and my personality and opinions and obsessions and faults influence the artistic outcome for sure, but…

Maybe that's a commercial strategy and now that alt-right art has gotten some real money behind it he is looking to make that his thing? In an interview about the new single or whatever it seemed like the interviewer was trying to get at something sort of related:

quote:

I’m also a long term Morrissey fan. He’s suffering from a bit of a backlash these days, from media and certain factions of his fan base, because of him expressing support for alt-right party For Britain. Where do you stand on all of this? Does it serve him right or should we separate the artist from the person?

Oh, poo poo, I disagree with someone, let’s lynch him! He’s not entitled to his opinion when we know so much better. We like diversity but God forbid we should allow diversity of opinion… We could end up in a democracy without realizing it. This cannot stand. We have to burn his records. Our artists should be role models in all regards, they have no right to be wrong.

Anyway…I’ve been into Morrissey for years and I have learned to not agree with him. I like my meat and my monarchy. So there we go.

Maybe he's being coy, but with a shirt like that he really should explain himself. He is not Laibach.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 18, 2018

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tias posted:

Leatherstrip is one of the best Danish acts, and a really cool dude to boot.

Leætherstrip have done, like, one good track (Evil Speaks), but to his credit it is one of the best in the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's not "dark", but the latest release from Barry Adamson has some Rome-ish neofolk elements. Slight bandaid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuy0YEc38G8