Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

A Nice Boy posted:

I thought it was that he was the weapon that no one dare uses...Like mutual nuclear annihilation today. Once his rage awakens, there's basically no stopping him. There was some Icarium suspense at the end when Calm went to use him...She probably could have won the day if not for Mappo and Ublala.

I think you're right. In DoD (these are TCG spoilers) Feather Witch casts her tiles while Icarium's "ghosts" are trying to figure out how to use Kalse Rooted. One of the new tiles she comes up with is two-sided: Fury/Starwheel. Fury is what its name suggests, but Feather Witch says that Starwheel is "time unraveled," or something to that extent. This new tile is obviously Icarium, who has a pivotal role in the emerging pantheon. If we combine this little tidbit with what Calm says to Mappo about the true purpose of Icarium in the plans of the Nameless Ones, it seems like Icarium is more like a force of nature than anything else.

Elsewhere in TCG someone describes his power as coming directly from Chaos; apparently when his self "shatters" he becomes a conduit of some sort. Since Kilmandaros is now dead I wonder if Icarium is going to now completely take her place as the God of rage and blind destruction. Or maybe he already had?

In any case, he's very close to Icarias, which Mappo realized was what he had been seeking their entire time together. It's going to be very interesting if he does indeed find it in a future volume, especially since Badalle saw that the heart of Icarias was shattered in DoD.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Took a break in between Bone hunters and Toll the hounds so I picked up the Black Company series and read most of those.
Now my mind has mixed up the two series and frankly they fit together pretty well.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

I think you're right. In DoD Feather Witch casts her tiles while Icarium's "ghosts" are trying to figure out how to use Kalse Rooted. One of the new tiles she comes up with is two-sided: Fury/Starwheel. Fury is what its name suggests, but Feather Witch says that Starwheel is "time unraveled," or something to that extent. This new tile is obviously Icarium, who has a pivotal role in the emerging pantheon. If we combine this little tidbit with what Calm says to Mappo about the true purpose of Icarium in the plans of the Nameless Ones, it seems like Icarium is more like a force of nature than anything else.

Elsewhere in TCG someone describes his power as coming directly from Chaos; apparently when his self "shatters" he becomes a conduit of some sort. Since Kilmandaros is now dead I wonder if Icarium is going to now completely take her place as the God of rage and blind destruction. Or maybe he already had?

In any case, he's very close to Icarias, which Mappo realized was what he had been seeking their entire time together. It's going to be very interesting if he does indeed find it in a future volume, especially since Badalle saw that the heart of Icarias was shattered in DoD.

I just read your spoiler because you started it with "in DoD" and there were tCG spoilers in there :(

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daico posted:

Uh...at first I thought they were trying to create a place for themselves in the ranks of Godhood and then they wanted to make a decent afterlife for everybody except then they got distracted by figuring out how to free the Crippled God? gently caress, I don't know. Anybody?

As I understood it they started to travel all the warrens after they entered the Deadhouse and soon realised the trouble that was brewing from many directions at once (from the danger to the Empty Throne over the whole thing with the Crippled God to the Old Gods stirring again, the Shorttails massing again and the dragons making a comeback). So they decided to do something. First they sought aid from their old friends (like Traveller, Urko, Crust, Tayschrenn?...), later they involved Rake, Hood, Queen of Dreams, Brood and so on in it. And if something like rule over larger part of Kurald Emurlahn falls to them during it... well, you take what you can get. I think some character (Hood?) even said they built layer upon layer of planning, putting contingencies in at every possible point.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Shadowthrone and Cot's master plan is basically gently caress you, gods, we're awesome.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Nigulus Rex posted:

I just read your spoiler because you started it with "in DoD" and there were tCG spoilers in there :(

Luckily none of those spoilers really ruin anything. :)

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Finished TCG last night.

The only thing that bothered me was how Hetan got revived out of nowhere. That was pretty stupid.

Btw I wonder who the Reaver and Fool in the House of Chains were? Reaver I'm guessing were Lostara and Ruthan and the Fool was Bistrig? Though this means Fiddler has no spot in the house but I don't want to think he was supposed to be the Fool.

And whatever happened to Leoman and that son of Osserc guy if the Queen of Dreams was supposed to be in the game.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 8, 2011

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
Esslemont is taking care of those guys, albeit poorly, as per his latest book Stoneweilder.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Finished TCG last night.

The only thing that bothered me was how Hetan got revived out of nowhere. That was pretty stupid.

Btw I wonder who the Reaver and Fool in the House of Chains were? Reaver I'm guessing were Lostara and Ruthan and the Fool was Bistrig? Though this means Fiddler has no spot in the house but I don't want to think he was supposed to be the Fool.

And whatever happened to Leoman and that son of Osserc guy if the Queen of Dreams was supposed to be in the game.

TCG: I don't think the Hetan thing was "out of nowhere" exactly. I mean, Toc did find her body in the last book, didn't he? Where she'd crawled away to die? And being that he considers Tool as close as a brother, I didn't think it was weird that he saved her.

Now, whether you think it's good writing is another story. I'm not sure how I feel about Hetan coming back...Seems a little convenient to give the ending another happy note.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Steven Erikson: His fans no longer expect nor desire a happy ending

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

A Nice Boy posted:

TCG:

Now, whether you think it's good writing is another story. I'm not sure how I feel about Hetan coming back...Seems a little convenient to give the ending another happy note.

It's a bit syrupy, sure, but then except maybe Toc and Trull nobody got as lovely a deal in the whole series, so I'm more than willing to let that one slide. Besides, it's not like she's the first - or even one of the first dozen - resurrections in the series.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Question (or maybe theory?) on Mother Dark (TTH/DoD spoiler) Was the gate existing within Dragnipur imprisoning Mother Dark? Not the same way as the people killed by it, but more like how powerful souls were needed to open gates, the rent in Morn, etc. Everyone thinks she "turned away" over betrayal by Anomander and Draconus, but doesn't she return immediately when Dragnipur is shattered, and then learn what Anomander did?

Grillad skinkmacka
Dec 25, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Question (or maybe theory?) on Mother Dark (TTH/DoD spoiler) Was the gate existing within Dragnipur imprisoning Mother Dark? Not the same way as the people killed by it, but more like how powerful souls were needed to open gates, the rent in Morn, etc. Everyone thinks she "turned away" over betrayal by Anomander and Draconus, but doesn't she return immediately when Dragnipur is shattered, and then learn what Anomander did?

She was imprisoned in Dragnipur I believe. It was mentioned that Draconus thought it would be some kind of gift but in the end when the chaos caught up it would have proven fatal for her. After Anomander saved her she decided to forgive the Andii and take up residence in Black Coral which he had sanctified beforehand.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm in the middle of MOI right now and absolutely love this damned series so much that I want to rush through to the end, but I'm a slow reader.

Does anyone have any decent fan art or anything illustrating the difference between the Jaghut/Jhag/Trell? I have a hard time keeping them straight in my mind, and just how "human" they should be vs. how orc/troll-like, for lack of a better comparison.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Grillad skinkmacka posted:

She was imprisoned in Dragnipur I believe. It was mentioned that Draconus thought it would be some kind of gift but in the end when the chaos caught up it would have proven fatal for her. After Anomander saved her she decided to forgive the Andii and take up residence in Black Coral which he had sanctified beforehand.

Not quite. I believe she turned away from the TA after, shall we say, a disagreement with Rake. Draconus then created Dragnipur to hold the Gate of Darkness because Chaos was pursuing it, so that the wagon would be forever dragging the Gate away from it. I don't think Rake 'saved' her, so much as he sacrificed himself to open a link allowing her to return should she so want.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Ends! They are loose!

I was really hoping for Fist Blistig to get what was coming to him. Never happened. Lame. Same with the Errant. We could have used three more epilogues at least.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm in the middle of MOI right now and absolutely love this damned series so much that I want to rush through to the end, but I'm a slow reader.

Does anyone have any decent fan art or anything illustrating the difference between the Jaghut/Jhag/Trell? I have a hard time keeping them straight in my mind, and just how "human" they should be vs. how orc/troll-like, for lack of a better comparison.

There is some out there, but here's what I think the general breakdown comes to:
Jaghut - tall, skinny, green skin, tusks jutting up from their jaw
Jhag - smaller tusks, still tall, but it's a half-breed so other traits may depend on the other side (Icarium(half-Jaghut/half-Toblakai) is our only example?)
Trell - shorter (still taller than humans), squatter, wide across, lumbering, probably fairly orc or ogre-like

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Junk Science posted:

Ends! They are loose!

I was really hoping for Fist Blistig to get what was coming to him. Never happened. Lame. Same with the Errant. We could have used three more epilogues at least.

Considering how easily Drac found and killed two elder gods, I think it's implied that Errant has no chance of surviving the wraith of Drac and Oponn. Blistig was a dick but he still ended up holding down the center and surviving so good for him.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Another great thing about TCG is that it actually made me interested in Erikson's Kharkanas series. I was kind of ambivalent about it before, but TCG introduces a lot of new information about the Tiste that really has me excited.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

I feel like this book could very appropriately have been titled:

A Dance With Dragons: Book 10 of the Malazan Book of Ice and Fire.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Junk Science posted:

I feel like this book could very appropriately have been titled:

A Dance With Dragons: Book 10 of the Malazan Book of Ice and Fire.

I finished TCG after the new thread title got chosen, but there was one quote like this that I'm disappointed didn't get used:

Malazan Book of the Fallen: It's loving raining dragons.

That or "poo poo! I have spoken." Although with that one some of the impact is lost if you don't realize "poo poo" is in the imperative mood.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Junk Science posted:

Ends! They are loose!

While I hated Blistig with a fiery passion for the stuff he did to Pores, I also think he was one of the most interesting characters in the book, also probably the most realistic one. He sees Tavore dragging the army through suffering into its doom, without explanation (even to her Fists), without encouragement, no cause to believe in, seemingly completely out of touch with the rest of the army.

Looking out for a way to survive it is something most people would do. Blistig is only the most prominent and powerful person of a sentiment that run through the army and was mostly held in check by the marines and heavies. Of course then he stabbed Pores. Also, being an rear end in a top hat and coming out of all well is also all too near to reality for comfort.

Also, don't forget, Ruthan Gudd was about to walk away too, far earlier, far before all the suffering until Tavore said the right thing to him. She didn't to Blistig until the very end.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Juaguocio posted:

Another great thing about TCG is that it actually made me interested in Erikson's Kharkanas series. I was kind of ambivalent about it before, but TCG introduces a lot of new information about the Tiste that really has me excited.

TCG gently caress the Tiste Andii. How many Shake had to sit there and die on the first shore before those fuckers show up at the last goddamn second with overwhelming force? And the whole time, Sand is sitting there crying about something or other on the throne. Anything that gets to be 100,000 years old should just go ahead and end it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

kazil posted:

TCG gently caress the Tiste Andii. How many Shake had to sit there and die on the first shore before those fuckers show up at the last goddamn second with overwhelming force? And the whole time, Sand is sitting there crying about something or other on the throne. Anything that gets to be 100,000 years old should just go ahead and end it.

I have a similar perspective about Nimander and Co., but they won't be the focus of the Kharkanas books (well, I imagine, anyway), and characters like Rake won't be so world-weary since the setting will be far in the past. The flashback part in TCG where Rake tells the Hust legion that they are going to their deaths to seal the gate was really cool, and I'd love to read more about what actually happened when Rake killed Tiam, Mother Dark turned away, Emurlahn was sundered and all that other weird stuff happened.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Decius posted:

While I hated Blistig with a fiery passion for the stuff he did to Pores, I also think he was one of the most interesting characters in the book, also probably the most realistic one. He sees Tavore dragging the army through suffering into its doom, without explanation (even to her Fists), without encouragement, no cause to believe in, seemingly completely out of touch with the rest of the army.

Looking out for a way to survive it is something most people would do. Blistig is only the most prominent and powerful person of a sentiment that run through the army and was mostly held in check by the marines and heavies. Of course then he stabbed Pores. Also, being an rear end in a top hat and coming out of all well is also all too near to reality for comfort.

Also, don't forget, Ruthan Gudd was about to walk away too, far earlier, far before all the suffering until Tavore said the right thing to him. She didn't to Blistig until the very end.

Someone pointed out to me that the last person who ordered Blistig to carry out seemingly suicidal commands was Pormqual, so that may have poisoned his opinions almost as badly as Tene Baralta.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I just got TCG today and for the life of me I can't remember what Paran is up to even though I'm on his first chapter. Anyone mind filling me in or at least which book chapters to re-read?

vvvv Ah ok, I'm glad I'm not completely insane and forgetting a whole story arc.

Carnival Rider fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 11, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Paran as in Ganoes? No one knew what the hell he was up ever since he left from the Seven Cities and when Picker tried to summon him in the eighth book and he was all like nope guys sorry I'm in a bit of a shithole atm.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I've been thinking about Tiam and (TCG) T'iam, with that crazy broken-denoting apostrophe and I've had a couple of thoughts about it.

1. The original Tiam was an actual dragon, just existing and interacting with the Elder Gods and the Tiste races as a single entity. She spawned her own children by herself at first, like Mother Dark, but was the preeminent Ancient and the whole race was her Storm. When Rake killed her and drank her blood to become the first Elient Soletaken (part of what royally pissed off Mother Dark) she held enough of her mind to be able to survive in the background of all dragon's minds, like some kind of mental virus (I don't care if meme is actually appropriate) in a state that only manifests will in really dire conditions, like Korabas being freed.

2. Tiam has always been the Elient D'ivers, the other ancient entities becoming Soletaken from her individual parts controlled by Tiam's mind, and shagging her after that (would rather not imagine the latter before the former, thanks) and what Rake did in the process of drinking from whichever dragon he killed was shatter her mind, similar to what happened to the Forkrul Assail's god. That'd make events and deeds attributed to Tiam have been performed by any Elient, before Rake, and afterwards they kept their own minds to do really stupid things like spawn 'the child of indescribable terror' Korabas.

3. Most likely some combination of those two;

4. Imagine four dragons on the edge of a Gate. Say a direct copy of the dragon nearest the Gate is sent to the back of the line of dragons and takes the place of the first dragon. The formerly first dragon becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth flies into the Gate.

Tiam works the same way.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Tiam works the same way.

:golfclap:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddamn it is jarring trying to get into this series. I still haven't finished Gardens of the Moon. I read about a quarter of the way into it a while back and was just like "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" I keep meaning to get back to it.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamn it is jarring trying to get into this series. I still haven't finished Gardens of the Moon. I read about a quarter of the way into it a while back and was just like "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" I keep meaning to get back to it.
You really just have to power through it. It took me a year to finish that drat book, but after that it all came easy and I churned through each one in a couple weeks.

It kinda sucks not knowing what's going on, but it's better than having your hand held through each scene as it's repeated over and over just to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illuyankas posted:

I've been thinking about Tiam and (TCG) T'iam, with that crazy broken-denoting apostrophe and I've had a couple of thoughts about it.
What doesn't quite gel with your theories - for me, anyway - is that there are several instance throughout the series that imply that Tiam was by no means an unwilling participant in Rake's taking of her blood, which makes me wonder if she colluded in that much in the way Kellanved/Dancer 'died' in order to ascend.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Habibi posted:

What doesn't quite gel with your theories - for me, anyway - is that there are several instance throughout the series that imply that Tiam was by no means an unwilling participant in Rake's taking of her blood, which makes me wonder if she colluded in that much in the way Kellanved/Dancer 'died' in order to ascend.
Well, perhaps she wanted effective immortality that would only end when the last dragon died. Or she didn't know what Rake was planning until it was too late. We should get better answers once the Kharkanas trilogy rolls around, though.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
So there are still no copies of TCG anywhere in Toronto. I can't find a single one, and the one I ordered on Amazon says it won't ship until the 29th! This is a long shot, but if any Toronto goons have it I'll totally buy it off you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Turpitude posted:

So there are still no copies of TCG anywhere in Toronto. I can't find a single one, and the one I ordered on Amazon says it won't ship until the 29th! This is a long shot, but if any Toronto goons have it I'll totally buy it off you.

Couldn't someone just buy it and ship it to you, as well?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Finished tCG this weekend. It was a good climax and ending for the series, I thought. a little too many face crumplings in response to an act of compassion or whatever, but the action didn't disappoint.

Edit: I could, but mine smells of smoke :v:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Turpitude posted:

Is it on Kindle yet? Even if you don't have a Kindle, you could buy it and read it on your computer. There's free computer Kindle reader software on Amazon, I believe.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Is it on Kindle yet? Even if you don't have a Kindle, you could buy it and read it on your computer. There's free computer Kindle reader software on Amazon, I believe.

Yup, since March 1st.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Jesus christ - I never really get visibly emotional over books, but the climax of TCG really got me.

When the Bridgeburners show up at the battle of the spire and fight alongside the elder races, it killed me. "How could you think we'd say no" indeed! Oh, and Hood just owning the poo poo out of the Forkrul Assail was just amazing.

I had to take a break, it was just getting too intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Done with TCG.

Let's see: "That's not nice. [...] I don't like fighting."

"I have had [...] enough [...] -of- [...] your- [...] justice! [next scene]"

e. What we obviously need is a Jaghut series because they are by far the most awesome characters in all the books. No other POVs. Just Jaghuts. Some Tyrant, Hood, Gothos. Nice and simple.

Sil fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 15, 2011