Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Was it Late Empire instead? Aww
Just because it's Late and not Last doesn't mean the Empire doesn't dissolve into independant states after that ends or anything without having to be eradicated by Karsa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Illuyankas posted:

Just because it's Late and not Last doesn't mean the Empire doesn't dissolve into independant states after that ends or anything without having to be eradicated by Karsa.

I'm pretty sure Mallick Rel is on it.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I'm most of the way through The Bonehunters at the moment - figured I'd finally just do a complete read-through of the series in one go since it's finished.

This has been bugging me for a while - does Dassem Ultor's backstory ever get explained clearly? He's been mentioned many, many times but I'm still fuzzy on what happened with him and Hood - and apparently how/why he was present at the Chaining of the Crippled God. It's made clear he was Hood's Knight at one point and betrayed Hood somehow and I've figured out he's supposed to be Dessembrae, Lord of Tragedy but that's about it.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 23, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
As I understood it: Hood used his daughter as sacrifice for the chaining. Dassem wasn't happy with that. At all. So he left Hood's "house" and vowed to kill him. Dessembrae is the part of Dassem that was turned into a god through worship of him. The odd thing, and the thing we haven't seen anywhere else in this form, is that Dassem and Dessembrae exist at the same time as separate entities.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Decius posted:

As I understood it: Hood used his daughter as sacrifice for the chaining. Dassem wasn't happy with that. At all. So he left Hood's "house" and vowed to kill him. Dessembrae is the part of Dassem that was turned into a god through worship of him. The odd thing, and the thing we haven't seen anywhere else in this form, is that Dassem and Dessembrae exist at the same time as separate entities.

TCG Spoilers Dassem realized the injustice they were foisting onto the Crippled God and refused to participate, but Hood took his daughter for the Chaining anyway.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
TCG and Hood spoilers Yeah about that, what the hell is this guy's plan? In the third book and in the past he was part of the main anti Crippled God gang. Now he is suddenly fighting for his release in between trying to save the world from chaos by getting himself killed by Anomander.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Cervixalot posted:

Also, i'm only about 1/3 to 1/2 through TCG, but don't they refer to him as Ryadd Eleiss throughout the book? I was confused about that at first, but then realized that its his eleint name, or something.

like Juaguocio said it depends on who's talking to or about him. his father and probably a few others call him Rudd and Silchas calls him Ryadd. i'm pretty sure i saw both in the first half of TCG.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just finished TCG last night so I can finally follow the Malazan threads again.
About TCG, it's more general things, putting it in spoiler just in case.
The first half of the book felt boring, to me it was a giant pile of emo in a desert. It felt like it was really blown way out of proportion, and the only thing that made me keep reading on was the fact that I know Erikson has weaker parts in almost all books. And of course the PoV changes to the fun characters like Ganoes and Kalam/QB. But I think I could have skipped pretty much all the early desert chapters and miss nothing, that's how little is actually happening.
And then the last few chapters where everything comes together, but a lot of it felt rushed and we seem to miss some big parts that could have been included if not for the wasted space in the first half.
- What was the point of spending 20% of TCG on the Greyhelms, and then in the end we don't even know where they ended up. (Yes I don't like that story at all.)
- Why do we suddenly need childhood memories of 10 different soldiers describing their homeland and upbringing, do that in book 1-9 please.
- What exactly happens at the spire after the heart is being carried away.

I guess I expected a lot more based on the earlier books of the series and several important and fun characters got little to no "screen time" and there seems little to redeem that.

Wish we'd have the scene where Tehol and Bugg arrive to pick up Brys after all is done.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

TCG and Hood spoilers Yeah about that, what the hell is this guy's plan? In the third book and in the past he was part of the main anti Crippled God gang. Now he is suddenly fighting for his release in between trying to save the world from chaos by getting himself killed by Anomander.

My personal reading of that whole story (including Hood and Rake, etc...) is that TCG had been chained because his presence was causing all sorts of chaos - both in that it alone was affecting people/ascendants in the world and that, because he was in such a sorry state, others were able to 'use' him or bits of him for their own purposes. Chaining him was sort of a spot fix, and apparently one that had to be repeated every once in a while. Then ST and Cotillion went around and probably figured out that, hey, there's a way for us to send this cancer back to his own world, which would solve at least that problem on a permanent basis... My guess is that Hood/Rake/etc... saw the wisdom of this (not to mention, where Rake is concerned, the possibility of bringing back MD, and where Hood is concerned, to get the hell out of a role that he apparently isn't a huge fan of).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tahirovic posted:

- What exactly happens at the spire after the heart is being carried away.

The way I read it: After Stormy/Gesher kill the main Forkrul Assail, the Spire is already in flames from Sinn, the rest of the Watered just gave up/got killed because all their leadership is gone.

You know, I really do love that, as readers, we spend 9 books hating and wanted to kill a god where it is compassion that ultimate is the reason for saving him.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 24, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I pre-ordered the last book from amazon UK and it was supposed to be delivered here (california) 'around March 12'. Has anyone else from the USA done the same thing and got their book? I'm off on holiday today. :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I was recently at the International Conference in the Fantastic in the Arts to receive a prize (:smug:), and while I knew Steve Erikson was there, I couldn't for the life of me find him (plus I was too busy being bros with Connie Willis, who is the coolest person.)

When I was up making my acceptance speech at the awards banquet I concluded by informing the crowd that I'd burn my beard for a chance to talk to Steve Erikson, and he promptly stood up about ten feet away and waved. So I spent a while chatting with him at the afterparty, along with his awesome wife and his top professional fan, an incredibly dapper Irishman literary critic.

Now I've never actually read anything by Erikson, but I am a huge fan of Scott Bakker's fantasy work, and the two are constantly compared. I talked to Steve about his general creative process, which was awesome:

1) apparently he developed the Malazan setting over many years by roleplaying it out with his best friend.

2) (probably obvious) he's an archaeologist, so a lot of his goals for the setting involved avoiding stupid errors in other fantasy settings, like cities not having enough farmland, or rivers forking - he was very insistent that rivers don't fork.

3) he talked about how and why he'd constructed a setting with an even balance of power between the sexes. 'Magic,' said he, 'is open to anyone - it's not heritable - and so anyone can achieve power if they work. Magic is efficacious; it means that women only need to have two children, instead of spitting out ten and hoping one survives. Therefore I needed to write language that didn't have a gender preference. But I didn't want to signpost that, to say 'I'm writing an egalitarian setting', because then I've started commenting on the real world, and that breaks the narrative.'

4) he talked a bit about the difference between his writing and Scott Bakker's, which is probably only of interst to those who are fans of both.

5) apparently he is pals with awesome people like Peter Hamilton and Richard Morgan. He told me to go buy Crysis 2 because Richard Morgan wrote it.

His wife is the funniest person. also he's kind of handsome and well-dressed :allears:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

BexGu posted:

The way I read it: After Stormy/Gesher kill the main Forkrul Assail, the Spire is already in flames from Sinn, the rest of the Watered just gave up/got killed because all their leadership is gone.

You know, I really do love that, as readers, we spend 9 books hating and wanted to kill a god where it is compassion that ultimate is the reason for saving him.

This is one thing I think Erikson does loving incredibly, that not a lot of other authors pull off convincingly. Entire series spoilers: His characters are so multidimensional that we don't balk at the prospect of empathizing with someone we'd hated up to that point. Take Kallor. We spent book after book hating him...I mean...The motherfucker KILLED WHISKEYJACK, the saddest moment in the series for me. I thought there was no way to redeem this dude, but what do you know...In book 8, suddenly you actually feel for Kallor. You don't hate him like you did.

TCG is another example. He's set up as being the main antagonist for 9 books, and then at the end on the hill with Fiddler and company...You actually feel for him. You want him to be saved. It's amazing, how Erikson pulls these 180's on you.

And it takes a nuanced touch to write something like that convincingly. If there's a horrible murderer rapist piece of poo poo character who does horrifying things book after book, and then suddenly he's a great guy, it's fake. Doesn't ring true. Despite these characters doing horrible things, though, you actually empathize with Kallor and such. It's impressive.

The only other corollary I can think of right now is Jaime in A Song of Ice and Fire. I can't think of many characters I hated as much as him for the first few books of that series, and now he's one of my favorite characters in those books.

cadmaniak
Nov 21, 2006

Le God
Does anyone know when the paperback for Crippled God is out in the UK?

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Reading Malazan and then moving on to The Wise Man's Fear has been really jarring. I enjoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, but now it just seems like young adult fiction. You can really tell that Rothfuss doesn't have anywhere near the life experience of someone like Erikson.

Granted, the writing is fluid and a lot of his ideas are great, but it's funny to me when he tries to describe hardship or pain. Rothfuss spent nine years going to school in central Wisconsin; he doesn't have any idea what the world is like beyond ramen and textbooks, and it shows. It doesn't help that Kvothe is such an unlikable Mary Sue....

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
why do they keep refering to Korlat as Sister of Cold Nights at the end of TCG? they do it twice and the second time is very pronounced. is it just some sort of honorific? i thought we knew who and where she is (inside Silverfox, on Assail)

edit:
i also found it weird that we never found out what happened re: the destriant of the wolves and all the ghosts hanging out in the centre of the main defense. it's implied she stayed there when the grey helms left to make their last stand but nothing more is said of her.

Opal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 25, 2011

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

the periodic fable posted:

why do they keep refering to Korlat as Sister of Cold Nights at the end of TCG? they do it twice and the second time is very pronounced. is it just some sort of honorific? i thought we knew who and where she is (inside Silverfox, on Assail)

edit:
i also found it weird that we never found out what happened re: the destriant of the wolves and all the ghosts hanging out in the centre of the main defense. it's implied she stayed there when the grey helms left to make their last stand but nothing more is said of her.

she died

Opal
May 10, 2005

when?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Korlat was given the title by Nimander I think, the title seems to serve a function within the Andii court. Nightchill was probably like Draconus part of it and instead of being Consort she was Sister of Cold Nights

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

when?
After she went all hulky-warewolf she and the Shield Anvil killed each other, right before the Mortal Sword got back to the army... I think.

Edit: So sorry guys, my bad.

snail goat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 25, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

things

you should spoilertag that but oh jesus you're right and i remember why i made myself forget about it too iirc only one of the wolf gods died and for real this time which means that one of them is doomed to spend ANOTHER ETERNITY without its mate and i guess my poor heart couldn't bear contemplating it too much

edit:
i should follow my own advice

Opal fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 25, 2011

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

zokie posted:

Korlat was given the title by Nimander I think, the title seems to serve a function within the Andii court. Nightchill was probably like Draconus part of it and instead of being Consort she was Sister of Cold Nights
To expand, there are four positions in the royal house of the Shake enumerated in TCG: Twilight, the Watch, Awakening Dawn, and Sister of Night.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

you should spoilertag that but oh jesus you're right and i remember why i made myself forget about it too iirc only one of the wolf gods died and for real this time which means that one of them is doomed to spend ANOTHER ETERNITY without its mate and i guess my poor heart couldn't bear contemplating it too much

edit:
i should follow my own advice

I'm not sure if it's the case, but it seemed to me like the gods of war had either died (Fener, Trake?, one of the Wolves) or been rendered powerless if they still lived by the end of the series. There was a lot of philosophizing about how mortals had perfected war beyond what the 'animal' war gods had ever managed, so it definitely fit thematically. I was expecting Stormy and Gesler to ascend with all the talk about them being on the edge of ascension and become the new face of war, but I guess not...

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 26, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Junk Science posted:

Reading Malazan and then moving on to The Wise Man's Fear has been really jarring. I enjoyed Name of the Wind a good deal, but now it just seems like young adult fiction. You can really tell that Rothfuss doesn't have anywhere near the life experience of someone like Erikson.

Granted, the writing is fluid and a lot of his ideas are great, but it's funny to me when he tries to describe hardship or pain. Rothfuss spent nine years going to school in central Wisconsin; he doesn't have any idea what the world is like beyond ramen and textbooks, and it shows. It doesn't help that Kvothe is such an unlikable Mary Sue....
Yeah, there're a lot of unhappy readers in the Rothfuss thread (me being one of them). Forget hardship, his take on relationships - mainly romantic but also friendships - are very difficult to relate to.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm not sure if it's the case, but it seemed to me like the gods of war had either died (Fener, Trake?, one of the Wolves) or been rendered powerless if they still lived by the end of the series. There was a lot of philosophizing about how mortals had perfected war beyond what the 'animal' war gods had ever managed, so it definitely fit thematically. I was expecting Stormy and Gesler to ascend with all the talk about them being on the edge of ascension and become the new face of war, but I guess not...

Might want to check those spoiler tags.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

No Pants posted:

To expand, there are four positions in the royal house of the Shake enumerated in TCG: Twilight, the Watch, Awakening Dawn, and Sister of Night.

So Shake royal house, totally missed that :) This series is totally awesome btw.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Regarding Korlat, did we decide who her father was? I can't remember if I read discussion on it here or not, but it seems like another loose end that's up for debate. I assume it'll be a major part of the Tiste Andii trilogy, but I feel like there's almost enough information to figure out who it is now.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

Might want to check those spoiler tags.

Duh. Jesus, I'm dumb. Hope no one read that!

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Habibi posted:

Yeah, there're a lot of unhappy readers in the Rothfuss thread (me being one of them). Forget hardship, his take on relationships - mainly romantic but also friendships - are very difficult to relate to.

It's bizarre to me, the mainstream appeal Rothfuss's series has claimed already. I mean, his world and characters are great in ways, and there are the seeds of a great fantasy in there, but the books are so loving flawed for all the reasons we've stated...I just don't get it.

They get reviewed in major magazines, they have blurbs talking about how Name of the Wind was the best fantasy novel in a hojillion years and all that...All I can think is that these people really don't read much fantasy or have no loving clue what they're talking about. I'm not saying that they're bad, or that I didn't enjoy them, but comparing them to Erikson or Martin or Abercrombie...They just don't hold up.

I read TCG, then Wise Man's Fear, and now I'm reading The Heroes by Abercrombie. As much as I do enjoy Rothfuss's books, TCG and Heroes are so much better that reading WMF in the middle really served to illustrate the things that Rothfuss fucks up. I mean, the books are different in some ways, but even putting aside the creepy romance and with fulfillment and such, even the way he metes out stuff about the Chandrian and Amyr is lovely. I mean, we're 2000 some pages in and we still don't know poo poo about the main plots of the series. Meh.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Rothfuss stuff.

Not to derail too much, but it really doesn't help when your premise is "the truth behind the legend is not at all what it seems," and then it turns out that Kvothe is actually pretty much exactly what he seems: awesome at everything from music to academics to magic to fighting to love(!). As a character he's incredibly boring.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

direspoon posted:

Regarding Korlat, did we decide who her father was? I can't remember if I read discussion on it here or not, but it seems like another loose end that's up for debate. I assume it'll be a major part of the Tiste Andii trilogy, but I feel like there's almost enough information to figure out who it is now.

Theories include Osserc and the undead Soletanken guy Silchas Ruin hung out with, the one Anomander Rake killed very messily. Although in both cases the "low born" seems a bit odd.

Habibi posted:

I liked them. They are of course completely different von Erikson, and not the same quality in my opinion, but still some quite good books and I was entertained well enough.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 26, 2011

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

Has it been confirmed that all the Kharkanas books are going to take place in the past? It wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them takes places after TCG.

Hero Pussy
Aug 4, 2005

please allow me to introduce myself
i'm a man of wealth and taste

zokie posted:

Nein. She asked to serve in the Shake court as Sister of Cold Nights after the battle on the Shore, and Yan Tovis agreed. I never understood why she wouldn't have been welcome in her "mother's" (Sandalath) house, though. She wasn't pure, apparently? What the hell did that mean?

Things:

from the very end of TCG: What was the demon under Malaz Fiddler was referring to wanting to talk to? I am assuming I just forgot.

TCG What the gently caress Nefarious Bredd what is this what is he

TCG Is Grub... somehow part Coltaine or not?

I don't even remember what book Can someone remind me who Tulas Shorn is, again, and what the relationship is/was to Silchas?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Hero Pussy posted:

Things:
from the very end of TCG: What was the demon under Malaz Fiddler was referring to wanting to talk to? I am assuming I just forgot.
It's one of Kellanved's pets. I can't recall where else this is mentioned in the series though.

Hero Pussy posted:

TCG What the gently caress Nefarious Bredd what is this what is he
I think he popped into existence to help Fid and then popped right out again. If you've played Planescape: Torment, I liken Bredd to the way the character Adahn "becomes" real if the PC uses his name often enough. The Bonehunters basically believed in Bredd strongly enough that he came into existence, albeit briefly.

I've also heard a theory that he is actually Crump but that's been debunked (Crump is tall, Bredd is short, etc.)

Hero Pussy posted:

TCG Is Grub... somehow part Coltaine or not?
I interpreted Grub to be partly a manifestation of the Chain of Dogs, not Coltaine in particular.

Hero Pussy posted:

I don't even remember what book Can someone remind me who Tulas Shorn is, again, and what the relationship is/was to Silchas?
TtH: Tulas is an undead Edur? Soletaken Eleint who frees himself from Hood's realm during the whole upheaval with the Dragnipur wagon. His relationship with Silchas is a brand new thing in TCG as far as I'm aware.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Hero Pussy posted:

He was the undead dragon that escaped out of Hood's warren in the seventh book when the trade caravan was loving around in it. He apparently created the Hounds of Shadow or some poo poo. Then he stole the Traveler and Karsa's woman's horses. The last we saw of him before the tenth book was him killing 3 Hounds of Light before flying off to god knows where.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Juaguocio posted:

Demon in MalazIt's one of Kellanved's pets. I can't recall where else this is mentioned in the series though.

It's a Kenryllah demon that Kellanved put incharge of his bar when he left to become emperor

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

I interpreted Grub to be partly a manifestation of the Chain of Dogs, not Coltaine in particular.

Grub is another example of that idea I mentioned, that mortals have eclipsed gods as the 'gods of war.'

Coltaine himself appears reincarnated in... RotCG, I believe?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

zokie posted:

It's a Kenryllah demon that Kellanved put incharge of his bar when he left to become emperor
Nah, he's still there. This one is the one on Kellanved's flagship, the Twisted, that sank in Malaz Harbour back in the day.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Korlat(TCG)Sandalath was raped by a non-Tiste Andii. I always thought it was Draconus and that's why Anomander killed him. Guess it could have been Tulas Shorn, but that wouldn't have been such a secret(ie. Anomander killed him to keep a secret but Sand/Korlat weren't so private with this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Sil posted:

Korlat(TCG)Sandalath was raped by a non-Tiste Andii. I always thought it was Draconus and that's why Anomander killed him. Guess it could have been Tulas Shorn, but that wouldn't have been such a secret(ie. Anomander killed him to keep a secret but Sand/Korlat weren't so private with this...
There's a small problem with that, called the MOI prologue. I doubt Rake would have waited to deal with Draconus until after the Crippled God fell, 120,000 years before Burn's Sleep and two hundred thousand years or so after the events in Kharkanas.