Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Habibi posted:

Where the loving gently caress did you read that?

No poo poo. I think Tehol & Bugg are pretty much universally liked by everyone. Even the people I've talked to that dislike the Malazan books liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

rizzen posted:

No poo poo. I think Tehol & Bugg are pretty much universally liked by everyone. Even the people I've talked to that dislike the Malazan books liked them.

Yeah, while -some- people dislike Kruppe, almost everyone likes Tehol/Bugg.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

rizzen posted:

The only negative things I have ever heard about Tehol/Bugg have to do with the complete restart on characters that takes place in Midnight Tides, and that usually goes away pretty quickly.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
So I've recently decided to reread (read to midnight tides and lost interest). My main problem is I never had GoTM in paperback and I don't love reading on my tablet. Can I skip straight to Deadhouse Gates? I remember briefly what happens but would like a brief recap on where we leave the Bridge burners and what happens to Paran. Thank you kindly

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
There's a big rear end reread over at Tor's website where they go through what happens in every chapter and provide commentary, you could probably just read the one for Gardens of the Moon to get up to speed.

On another note, I finished Night of Knives today. First half was pretty bad, but it gets a lot better in the second half when the plot starts to pick up the pace. On to The Bonehunters!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Who changed the thread title? :respek:

I don't recall what the OP says, but I remember disagreeing with the TOR schedule that did NoK immediately after Gardens. You don't even know enough about what's going on to appreciate what you're learning, and you will have forgotten half of what's in it by the time the crossover storylines in the Bonehunters come up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Who changed the thread title? :respek:

Heh, I was wondering how long it would take people to notice that :P

edit: it took slightly more than a week

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 22, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'll tell you what, doing a re-read on audiobook is like a completely different experience. I'm forced to attend to stuff I might have glazed over and I'm catching a lot more than I expected.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

dwarf74 posted:

I'll tell you what, doing a re-read on audiobook is like a completely different experience. I'm forced to attend to stuff I might have glazed over and I'm catching a lot more than I expected.

I can't second this enough. I'm reading toll of hounds right now but nearly done with book 2 on audio...makes my drive pretty awesome everyday.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr.Boofu posted:

I can't second this enough. I'm reading toll of hounds right now but nearly done with book 2 on audio...makes my drive pretty awesome everyday.
Ditto, only exercise and walking the dog and household chores, here.

Amazon had Forge of Darkness mp3 cds for a steal, too. Now, I'm a bad fan who hasn't read FoD yet, and I'm seriously pondering making that my first "readthrough."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Ditto, only exercise and walking the dog and household chores, here.

Amazon had Forge of Darkness mp3 cds for a steal, too. Now, I'm a bad fan who hasn't read FoD yet, and I'm seriously pondering making that my first "readthrough."

I've never been able to do audiobooks as a first read, and I can only imagine that with a Malazan novel. I'd be going "Who??" and rewinding poo poo every 5 minutes.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Shoots, nearly done with the series as I'm halfway through Dust of Dreams.
One complaint I kinda have with the series is that other than in Deadhouse Gates, Erickson seems to solely focus on the sappers and marines of the rather large Malazan army. I kinda wish that the Moranth showed up more too.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Just finished Dust of Dreams. It was such a slog compared to the other books for some reason.

What the hell just happened? I've been going through these books for the past 2 years or so, and I'm bound to forget a bunch of poo poo, but some I don't understand at all.

Why the hell was Icarium piloting a Sky Keep? How did he get there? Was this one of his mechanical creations he's made throughout his life? Why is he now able to understand who he is(which is apparently some warren or something?)?

What the hell is up with those children, The Snake? They wandered for a long time near death, one of them yelled away some Forkrul Assail (who sent a spy into the children's midst that was later exiled?) Is their story done, or does it get elaborated on in TCG? If it doesn't, then what the hell were they? Are they children of Assail or something like that? Where exactly were they wandering at? The Wastelands?

So much :psyduck: going on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Dust of Dreams isn't so much a book, as the first half of a book.

The Crippled God keeps the same characters and story you're in the middle of, which is a first for the series. The kids and everything else are... well... as explained as anything else in this series, I guess?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you just can't stand waiting to read TCG.

This is just what I remember so it may be spotty but.

The Snake are the children whose lands/homes were destroyed by the forkrul assail wandering the wastelands. They do the same sort-of-ascendancy thing that Coltain's long march does in the end I think.

Icarium sort of almost truly finds himself, but also discovers the he, for some reason, is link to some elder chaos warren or something. Also he can make new warrens but they're just copies of the 'young' warrens? I don't remember. It gets weird.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
IIRC the Snake basically enables the Bonehunters to cross the glass desert after a fashion, it gets explained in The Crippled God. That's kind of their functional purpose I think but also metaphors and blah blah. They might also be involved in something else I can't remember...I'm slowly working through The Crippled God again but I can't remember.

During one of the earlier books...Toll the Hounds? Reapers Gale? I can't remember which, but Icarium activated the machinery he created in Lether, which was designed to create new warrens out of his blood, but it was flawed/broken. That's probably all related to why he starts out Dust of Dreams not knowing who he is and thinks that he's a ghost and all that but basically at that point he kind of exists as a deus ex machina to take out the short tails and let Grubb and Sin travel through his warrens. Also has a role in Crippled God that I don't remember, but he honestly never really *does* anything amazing or poo poo that gets explained very well, so just roll with it

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Huh, I thought that device in Lether was just one of Icarium's clocks that went nuclear.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Huh, I thought that device in Lether was just one of Icarium's clocks that went nuclear.

Icarium makes a direct comparison to K'rul in this regard, saying something like 'if he could do it why can't I?'

nucleicmaxid posted:

If you just can't stand waiting to read TCG.

This is just what I remember so it may be spotty but.

The Snake are the children whose lands/homes were destroyed by the forkrul assail wandering the wastelands. They do the same sort-of-ascendancy thing that Coltain's long march does in the end I think.

The first part is correct. As to the latter, the Snake is later revealed to be a manifestation of D'rek, the Worm of Autumn - also the reason why Banaschar is forced to be there - which is how the children were sustained for so long despite conditions that should have killed them all.

quote:

Icarium sort of almost truly finds himself, but also discovers the he, for some reason, is link to some elder chaos warren or something. Also he can make new warrens but they're just copies of the 'young' warrens? I don't remember. It gets weird.
As Levitate said, Icarium had built a machine to create warrens from his blood in imitation of what K'rul did. He apparently never had a chance to turn it on, and when he gets back to it in Lether he activates it not realizing it hasn't survived the millennia unscathed, which iirc is what results in the split personalities within him (I seem to recall each was a representative of a warren).

The wound into Chaos he becomes when enraged is the result of the Azath's desperate counterattack on him when he was attempting to free his father.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Icarium was basically given the most destructive version of ADHD so he'd go ride bikes/murder everyone

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

Masonity posted:

Who are these people, and why haven't they been banned from having opinions?

I stumbled upon some discussion about midnight tides somewhere where it seemed they weren't really fond of them :jerkbag: . I really can't remember what website was that . But I think that even in TOR re read they mention that people have mixed opinion about Tehol and Bugg. But anyway, screw them , I want more Tehol and Bugg!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There's just something oddly charming in an elder god just putting up with Tehols eccentricities merely because he's gotten bored.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012
Also , do we ever hear again about Mott irregulars after memories of ice?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Deranged M posted:

Also , do we ever hear again about Mott irregulars after memories of ice?

Amby and Jula Bole and Precious Thimble are all ex-Mott Irregulars, but I don't think we ever hear about their exploits again, aside from getting a taste of how weird/powerful they are when they're hitching with the Trygalle Trade Guild caravan.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Amby and Jula Bole and Precious Thimble are all ex-Mott Irregulars, but I don't think we ever hear about their exploits again, aside from getting a taste of how weird/powerful they are when they're hitching with the Trygalle Trade Guild caravan.

forge of darkness gives us a potential preview scenario of the bolead as well

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

So I'm working on my first reread, and I have to ask: why does nobody have any clue as to who shadowthrone and the rope actually are? At least in the first book, anyway…

Edit: heboric knew, apparently, but still…

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 1, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Not many people that you know personally become gods.

I would think that the idea is so outlandish, so insane, that no one really believed it could be done.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I also feel like they weren't interacting with a lot of people until the series progresses. Before that no one had any reason to think they were who they are

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

uh zip zoom posted:

So I'm working on my first reread, and I have to ask: why does nobody have any clue as to who shadowthrone and the rope actually are? At least in the first book, anyway…

Edit: heboric knew, apparently, but still…

It's not like no one has any clue. There's a short bit near the beginning where Tattersail and some of the Bridgeburners talk about how it was totally weird that the two new rulers of Shadow appeared right after the Emperor and Dancer died.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is it worth reading FoD? Just reread the whole 10 books, even better the second time round.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Loving Life Partner posted:

One thing I wish we'd seen in one of the supplementary books that Erikson/Esselmont wrote is a story that focused on Mott Wood, but alas.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lofty132 posted:

Is it worth reading FoD? Just reread the whole 10 books, even better the second time round.

No, after reading 20x one thousand pages you are surely not invested enough in the series to bother learning about its underpinnings, or anything else by the author for that matter.

e: :v:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No, after reading 20x one thousand pages you are surely not invested enough in the series to bother learning about its underpinnings, or anything else by the author for that matter.

e: :v:

I'm gearing up for my third round. :v:
I don't know if I invested enough?
All of Eriksons Malazans books + FOD + Bauchelain/Korbal Broach short stories + all of Esslemonts work + The Devil Delivered.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Lofty132 posted:

I loved FoD. For me it was the original series but even more confusing which I love for some masochistic reason. While some things are explained even more questions pop up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just finished Toll the Hounds on audiobook and was sobbing like an idiot at work.

Thinking of segueing right into FoD now, since I'm in a Tiste Andii mood. But I also just got DoD on audio, so...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You're only two books until the end of Book of the Fallen, might as well finish it

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I just finished Toll the Hounds on audiobook and was sobbing like an idiot at work.

Thinking of segueing right into FoD now, since I'm in a Tiste Andii mood. But I also just got DoD on audio, so...

Unless you've previously finished the series, I wouldn't start FoD yet. Even if you have but it's been a while, you may be better served to finish the reread, first.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Habibi posted:

Unless you've previously finished the series, I wouldn't start FoD yet. Even if you have but it's been a while, you may be better served to finish the reread, first.
Yeah, it's only my 2nd read-through for DoD and TCG. I read them both right around when TCG came out, but not since. I've finished the series, but have re-read (and now listened to) everything trough TtH multiple times. :)

I'll keep going with this one, then!

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Okay, so the beginning of chapter 24 in gardens of the moon is a poem called "Azath" by someone named Adaephon. Is this supposed to be quick Ben? I don't recall him ever writing poetry…

Edit: also what's with those k'chain che'malle bones that the generals of the Empire use as communicators? Do those things have a name or something?

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 3, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, so the beginning of chapter 24 in gardens of the moon is a poem called "Azath" by someone named Adaephon. Is this supposed to be quick Ben? I don't recall him ever writing poetry…
Could be one of his souls, a previous life, a GotMism, or pretty much anything.

He also smells of soletaken spices in GotM, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Could be one of his souls, a previous life, a GotMism, or pretty much anything.

He also smells of soletaken spices in GotM, so...

He is soletaken, so one would assume he would smell like a soletaken o.O