Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
If someone's ego is big enough, can they use it as a warren to draw power from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

amuayse posted:

Yeah, Kruppe proved that it's possible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Explains more than one ascendant, too.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

amuayse posted:

Actually, and unironically, this sounds like sort oc what happened in the past with some of those pure blooded Thelomen Toblakai.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Habibi posted:

Actually, and unironically, this sounds like sort oc what happened in the past with some of those pure blooded Thelomen Toblakai.

In the past? I call a certain Mr. Orlong to the Witness! bench.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

In the past? I call a certain Mr. Orlong to the Witness! bench.

I guess I feel like that's not entirely confirmed.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

There's also Bellurdan Skullcrusher, the TTT high mage who used a personal warren. This was definitely confirmed by Onos T'oolan when he described the mage battle between Bellurdan and Tattersail by listing the warrens including Thelomen Toblakai.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Habibi posted:

I guess I feel like that's not entirely confirmed.

What about a certain Icarium Lifestealer?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's an interesting hypothesis that will alone can beget a warren, but seems to contradict Erickson's nihilist viewpoint that nothing really matters in the end anyways. "Yes, your will is so strong it can be its own warren. Too bad everything dies anyways.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

It's an interesting hypothesis that will alone can beget a warren, but seems to contradict Erickson's nihilist viewpoint that nothing really matters in the end anyways. "Yes, your will is so strong it can be its own warren. Too bad everything dies anyways.

I'm curious to what makes you see Erikson's viewpoint as nihilist because that is not at all what I got from the series.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ethiser posted:

I'm curious to what makes you see Erikson's viewpoint as nihilist because that is not at all what I got from the series.

Ditto on this. Erikson isn't afraid to put characters through awful poo poo, but he always puts an immense amount of narrative weight on the sacrifices characters make as being worth it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ditto on this. Erikson isn't afraid to put characters through awful poo poo, but he always puts an immense amount of narrative weight on the sacrifices characters make as being worth it.

Yeah, plus Toc the Younger gets a happy ending. Which says it all really.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

What about a certain Icarium Lifestealer?

Doesn't really have anything to do with his ego.

Xachariah posted:

There's also Bellurdan Skullcrusher, the TTT high mage who used a personal warren. This was definitely confirmed by Onos T'oolan when he described the mage battle between Bellurdan and Tattersail by listing the warrens including Thelomen Toblakai.
Yeah that's probably the closest we see.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Masonity posted:

Yeah, plus Toc the Younger and Hetan gets a happy ending. Which says it all really.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
On a different note, considering Erikson's habit of words and terms changing, I do wonder at the Forkrul Assail, given Assail is a continent and well, For K'rul, Assail. Anyone else ever have similar thoughts?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
It's offhandedly mentioned in Forge of Darkness that Assail is the name for the priests of the Forulkan people, presumably named for their role in safeguarding order, which is constantly assailed by chaos in their philosophy.

So it could just as well be a case of two different things named after the same word.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mygna posted:

It's offhandedly mentioned in Forge of Darkness that Assail is the name for the priests of the Forulkan people, presumably named for their role in safeguarding order, which is constantly assailed by chaos in their philosophy.

So it could just as well be a case of two different things named after the same word.

And it's explicitly stated in TCG that the FA had a god but tore him apart, so at the very least, that's not the angle.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Habibi posted:

And it's explicitly stated in TCG that the FA had a god but tore him apart

To be fair, K'rul has been pretty much missing in action/greatly diminished for awhile, so this argument probably helps the theory (which I hadn't heard before and quite like).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, one of my favorite parts was when Hood decided to cure a random beat cop of his heart condition so he could spend more time with his family. :unsmith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JagGator posted:

To be fair, K'rul has been pretty much missing in action/greatly diminished for awhile, so this argument probably helps the theory (which I hadn't heard before and quite like).

K'rul just faded from the world as belief in him waned. Kallor's curse was one hell of a thing.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Er, no, not suggesting K'rul is the god or anything, just that they may have been created for him for some reason by Kilmandaros.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Er, no, not suggesting K'rul is the god or anything, just that they may have been created for him for some reason by Kilmandaros.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that you were. Just eliminating one hypothetical angle for his involvement that could have led to a coincidence of names.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Don't we see a manifestation of their god in the Snake story with a swarm of moths?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ethiser posted:

Don't we see a manifestation of their god in the Snake story with a swarm of moths?

We do but that might be Badalle shaping the last of the power of the god. Or not. Erikson :argh:

That said, there are very few coincidences in naming overall, so I tend to lean towards Erikson being a sneaky bastard with his names. Hell, I'm suspicious that Tiste trilogy stuff Azathanai are named like that and the last Azath house is powered by an eye. That just seems like a captain sneaky bastard verbal joke/pun and y'know how writers love those...

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

K'rul just faded from the world as belief in him waned. Kallor's curse was one hell of a thing.

To be fair, Kallor's curses didn't necessarily spell out the specifics. For example, "Draconus, what you create shall be turned on you."
He didn't explicitly say "Anomander Rake is gonna Draginpur your rear end and carry you around on his back for a few hundred millenia."

So from that perspective, "K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten" could easily come about because "Your worshippers are going to tear you apart to get at your power and then stop following you, leaving you a shell of yourself."

And as the guy said above, if "Assail" means "priest" than Forkrul Assail = Priests for K'rul is just the kind of wordsmithy poo poo Erikson loves.

Also the FA are basically about the power of words/speech, so their name probably does mean something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rejutka posted:

On a different note, considering Erikson's habit of words and terms changing, I do wonder at the Forkrul Assail, given Assail is a continent and well, For K'rul, Assail. Anyone else ever have similar thoughts?
No. Because he often has names that blend or overlap other characters and poo poo. I was super confused on my first read because of so many characters which had names which hearkened to other people and/or stuff.

And as for "personal warren" I always assumed it was just a warren which nobody else could identify or draw on, not that it was literally powered by their own butt.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

JagGator posted:

To be fair, Kallor's curses didn't necessarily spell out the specifics. For example, "Draconus, what you create shall be turned on you."
He didn't explicitly say "Anomander Rake is gonna Draginpur your rear end and carry you around on his back for a few hundred millenia."

So from that perspective, "K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten" could easily come about because "Your worshippers are going to tear you apart to get at your power and then stop following you, leaving you a shell of yourself."

And as the guy said above, if "Assail" means "priest" than Forkrul Assail = Priests for K'rul is just the kind of wordsmithy poo poo Erikson loves.

It's pretty explicitly spelled out what happened to their god, and you meet K'rul in ICEs novels. This is all a tremendous reach.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Just a question though: Does Kallor know how to use magic on a minor scale other than his century candles? Like he can curse the hell out of the three elder gods, but he had to sacrifice millions of his people to do that. He seems to just fight with only his superhuman skill and strength.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Just a question though: Does Kallor know how to use magic on a minor scale other than his century candles? Like he can curse the hell out of the three elder gods, but he had to sacrifice millions of his people to do that. He seems to just fight with only his superhuman skill and strength.

Not as far as we know, as far as I know.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JagGator posted:

That could also refer to Spite and Envy, though. IIRC at least one of them actually helped Anomander there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

That could also refer to Spite and Envy, though. IIRC at least one of them actually helped Anomander there.

I hadn't considered that angle, but I think both interpretations are valid.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Habibi posted:

It's pretty explicitly spelled out what happened to their god, and you meet K'rul in ICEs novels. This is all a tremendous reach.

You also meet K'rul in Eriksson's series as well, he chills out with Kruppe a lot

e: Kallor is weird because yeah he doesn't seem to possess any magic and his powers all seem to stem from being a smart, ambitious, tenacious, and sadistic bastard who knows some alchemy and is fantastic with a sword.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Pretty sure that quote refers to Dragnipur and not Anomander or Draconus' daughters. Draconus even says right after the curse, 'Uhhh, yeah, so I've been working on this sword...'

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Levitate posted:

You also meet K'rul in Eriksson's series as well, he chills out with Kruppe a lot

e: Kallor is weird because yeah he doesn't seem to possess any magic and his powers all seem to stem from being a smart, ambitious, tenacious, and sadistic bastard who knows some alchemy and is fantastic with a sword.

He even takes human form and pretty much becomes rath'k'rul (capustan high priest of k'rul) although he's not named as such. How many gods are their own high priest? not enough.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hnnnnnnnnnnnngh I'm re-reading the series for the first time and I'm almost done Memories of Ice. It's amazing how much more you see when you've already read the series once - there's a particularly clever bit when a Tiste Edur washes up on the shoreline dead of massive overpressurization, and Paran and Quick Ben talk about how it must have been a High Ruse mage. Meanwhile, a bunch of books later in Bugg/Tehol land (I don't remember specifically which book), Bugg/Mael gets super mad at one Tiste Edur and warrens him into the deepest bit of the sea. It's a really neat example of just how well Erikson had all this stuff planned out, or at least how he makes winging it seem planned out :v:.

Also I am a sucker for 'epic moments' and the end of this book is so chock full of them that it's physically painful to stop reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Hnnnnnnnnnnnngh I'm re-reading the series for the first time and I'm almost done Memories of Ice. It's amazing how much more you see when you've already read the series once - there's a particularly clever bit when a Tiste Edur washes up on the shoreline dead of massive overpressurization, and Paran and Quick Ben talk about how it must have been a High Ruse mage. Meanwhile, a bunch of books later in Bugg/Tehol land (I don't remember specifically which book), Bugg/Mael gets super mad at one Tiste Edur and warrens him into the deepest bit of the sea. It's a really neat example of just how well Erikson had all this stuff planned out, or at least how he makes winging it seem planned out :v:.

Also I am a sucker for 'epic moments' and the end of this book is so chock full of them that it's physically painful to stop reading.

My favorite bit of foreshadowing in the series is the whole plotline related to the ship Silanda. It's spread over three or four books and it's just amazing when you put the whole story together.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite bit of foreshadowing in the series is the whole plotline related to the ship Silanda. It's spread over three or four books and it's just amazing when you put the whole story together.

I'm towards the end of Toll the Hounds, so I think the Silanda storyline is complete. Is it?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What have the Moranth doing since MoI?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

amuayse posted:

What have the Moranth doing since MoI?

I don't think we really know much about the Moranth aside from: they use giant cicadas as mounts, they make explosives used by the Malazans, and that their society is divided into 9(?) castes(?) by colors, as well as the color caste that provides the explosives. I don't think it's mentioned if they are an actual extension of the Malazan army or if they are just weapons merchants and taxi drivers for important people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It gets covered in the Esslemont books. Most directly in Orb Sceptre Throne (which is imo his best). The blue naval maranth have a bit in Stonewielder as well.