Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Xachariah posted:

I don't think Sinn is a child exactly, probably more a teenager at least at the time of The Bonehunters. She met Khalam in Deadhouse Gates and was the mage trying to sabotage the siege against the Ashok Regiment in the cliff fortress.

Also technically both Grub being a manifestation of the Chain of Dogs and Sinn being possessed of a fire elemental godling from Y'Ghatan are both just speculative conjecture by people in the world.

Sinn could just be a "natural High Mage" who never unleashed her powers until she needed it at Y'Ghatan and Grub could just be an orphaned child from the Chain of Dogs who is on the path to ascension based on what he represents to the survivors and observers.

This misses that neither of them existed prior to the events in the Chain of Dogs, according to Sinn - not exactly the most trustworthy of sources I suppose. I do highly enjoy Grub however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Baudin posted:

This misses that neither of them existed prior to the events in the Chain of Dogs, according to Sinn - not exactly the most trustworthy of sources I suppose. I do highly enjoy Grub however.

I don't know what passage you're referring to but out of context I'd guess that she could possibly mean in a philosophical sense, they were "created" in their current form due to what they went through and experienced in the Chain of Dogs/Y'Ghatan.

And like you said Sinn had all kinds of PTSD due to the rape she experienced and her tutelage under that Whirlwind high mage Febryl. Its possible that the mental health issues caused by all the bullshit she's gone through left her unhinged and seemingly "possessed" to some. Much like how women have been locked up not so long ago in the past for being demon "possessed."

I'm not saying they aren't what they are speculated to be in the books, they might very well be, but it pays to not take anyone at their word in the Malazan series since Erikson looooves making you make the wrong assumptions.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think this image best sums up the Crippled God's ending.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Oh man, I found this thread today and now I have this really strong desire to start reading these books again.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So The Crippled God ending isn't satisfying? drat. I was hoping there would be at least one epic fantasy series that really pays off.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ccs posted:

So The Crippled God ending isn't satisfying? drat. I was hoping there would be at least one epic fantasy series that really pays off.

It depends. If you're most people who read the series, it was loving great, the entire book is a roller coaster, and while it left plenty of questions, it was probably the best (or one of) long fantasy series payoffs. Though, it may take a second (or third) read through to pick up enough to put the whole thing in context.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The only real uncertainty in the ending is answered easily if you think about what the last page really means.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Ethiser posted:

The only real uncertainty in the ending is answered easily if you think about what the last page really means.

The Crippled God is in a rooster weathervane?

Anyways, does Oponn ever do anything significant after Gardens? They appear in Dust of Dreams once, and that's it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

amuayse posted:

The Crippled God is in a rooster weathervane?

Anyways, does Oponn ever do anything significant after Gardens? They appear in Dust of Dreams once, and that's it.

Is the last page not something like Thus ends the Malazan Book of The Fallen? Which confirms that he went back to his home world after being killed and wrote the book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's something along the lines of TCG having written literally the book you're holding, or at least that's how I always interpreted the sequence.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah I thought that too. You are supposed to realize that everything you have read was written by TCG and not some historian or omnipresent narrator.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Yeah I thought that too. You are supposed to realize that everything you have read was written by TCG and not some historian or omnipresent narrator.

Not true for Toll the Hounds at least, as Kruppe narrates a good deal of it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Not true for Toll the Hounds at least, as Kruppe narrates a good deal of it.

Yeah there's supposedly a different narrator for each book (edit: or section of book, wouldnt make sense otherwise) a few books have in it somewhere a place where a historian or storyteller will sort of set up the next/previous book (edit: or part of a book).

Duiker in MoI at the end saying "Very well, permit me, if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come Fist to the 7th army..." is Deadhouse Gates. (the order of the books notwithstanding in this reasoning)

Trull tells the tale of Midnight Tides.

As you said Kruppe tells the tale of the Toll of Hounds to K'rul.

They could just be red herrings rather than any kind of proof. I don't remember if there are similar set ups for the other books to imply they're a collection of different narrators. Or perhaps the mysterious Fisher Kel Tath chronicled it all and put his poems in between chapters to sell his anthology collections.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 7, 2014

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
The most satisfying thing about the ending, is that there actually was an ending. Erikson loving smashed out these books and finished the series. That puts him easily in the top 1% of fantasy authors.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's true. I can deal with the stuff I don't like about the series just because I know there's actually an ending.

Meanwhile, GRRM is releasing some "extended history of the The Song of Ice and Fire" instead of working on Winds of Winter.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You know, I was actually expecting that Trull Sengar and Hull Bedict would come back to life sometime in the story. I'm both sad and glad that didn't happen.
Trull is really cool btw since he's a radical fighter dude that needs no sword. Leoman as well.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

Leoman as well.

This is the first time in history Leoman has been called 'cool' and not 'boring and a waste of my time to read'

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

This is the first time in history Leoman has been called 'cool' and not 'boring and a waste of my time to read'

He's interesting enough in Bonehunters; problem is after that he ends up in ICE's filthy mitts. (Although to be fair a lot can be attributed to the fact we see him from the view of Corabb, who is generally a pretty funny character).
I'll second the love for Trull, he's one of the reasons why MT is my favorite book of the series.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What was interesting about him in Bonehunters? Maybe I'm misremembering, but he was basically some faceless guy that you never really interact with right? He doesn't really do anything directly but is a commander that you never hear much about other than what the lucky guy says and thinks. Then he just jumps through a gate and disappears without doing much to end his arc.

Edit: Oh thats right. He's with the desert group and you see him a bit there. Maybe it's just me but he never grabbed me as an interesting character.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 9, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I liked Leoman because he was extremely self-aware about his role in the whole Whirlwind being doomed from the start and then manipulating it for his own gain.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

amuayse posted:

I liked Leoman because he was extremely self-aware about his role in the whole Whirlwind being doomed from the start and then manipulating it for his own gain.

I saw him as less manipulating the environment around him, and more just being swept along out of control. Now I'm wondering if I misread him entirely.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

I saw him as less manipulating the environment around him, and more just being swept along out of control. Now I'm wondering if I misread him entirely.

I think it's both to an extent. A scene which to me characterises his schtic more or less perfectly is when he's leading the escape of the rest of the rebels and cursing the whole drat mess, goddess, book, uprising with every step. The troops ask what he's saying and Corabb tells them he's praying.
He's caught in the Whirlwind and tries his drat best to get out, everyone else be damned; but who's to blame, I wouldn't dare say.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The tehol arc is nice but I could read 30 books with Bugg as the main character

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The whole Tehol and Bugg relationship reminded me of Blackadder except the Blackadder analogue is perpetually stoned.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Huh, apparently Erikson did an AMA on Reddit yesterday? And "Cam is presently working on the first novel of Early Empire (well, pre-Empire, in fact), called Dancer's Lament (nice title)." so interesting stuff in there.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Xachariah posted:

The whole Tehol and Bugg relationship reminded me of Blackadder except the Blackadder analogue is perpetually stoned.

Black adder? Must not have read that. I died at the wool tea though, Bugg... :allears:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Black adder? Must not have read that. I died at the wool tea though, Bugg... :allears:

British TV comedy about a pompous snarky nobleman in the middle ages with his amiable family butler.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It followed said nobleman's heirs through, I think, WWI. I've only seen a few episodes, but they're hilarious (even to yanks). Straight man and foil are always great with good writing. I think its Kruppe's biggest flaw: he doesn't have a partner.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

It followed said nobleman's heirs through, I think, WWI. I've only seen a few episodes, but they're hilarious (even to yanks). Straight man and foil are always great with good writing. I think its Kruppe's biggest flaw: he doesn't have a partner.

Yeah, each season is a different era and the forth and last is WWI. It's on Netflix if anyone is interested and happens to have Netflix. edit: First series is a bit corny though, hadn't seen it before and decided to check it out.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 12, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Forge of Darkness :vince:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Did anyone ever figure out why the tall-many-jointed-people are scared of humans in turtle shell armor?

It just seems so... dumb. They can't punch through turtle shell but have no problem punching the skull in on a toblaki?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So it might be that I'm audio booking the books (plan on actually reading them after I finish with the audiobooks); however, I'm about 1/3rd through Midnight Tides and I have no idea where or when in the world the action is taking place. It doesn't help the Malazans haven't been mentioned once.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

So it might be that I'm audio booking the books (plan on actually reading them after I finish with the audiobooks); however, I'm about 1/3rd through Midnight Tides and I have no idea where or when in the world the action is taking place. It doesn't help the Malazans haven't been mentioned once.

It's another continent. The Malazans are back in the next book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Wasn't Trull in House of Chains? That should at least let you place it in time.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
^^ I'm so bad I just skipped Midnight Tides because I was more interested in what was happening to Malazans. Guess I should go back and read it as I understand it has lots of Tehol and Bugg?

Spermy Smurf posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why the tall-many-jointed-people are scared of humans in turtle shell armor?

It just seems so... dumb. They can't punch through turtle shell but have no problem punching the skull in on a toblaki?

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/White_Face

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 15, 2014

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

It never really did explain why turtle armor was effective against them though.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Chucullinn posted:

It never really did explain why turtle armor was effective against them though.

Well it's fantasy, just think of it as it being their kryptonite, or maybe the turtles are magic imbued turtles with magically strong shells, or maybe they are a fantasy version of turtles and not like our turtles, or maybe the type of turtles originally came from where the Forkrul Assail came from and evolved alongside them.

Maybe they were gifted the turtle shells by the Turtle God of the Deeps T'Urtletoisian, God of Hard Things and Protection from Specifically Forkrul Assail Cause gently caress Those Guys.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
Welp I finished book 4 and Karsa has stolen my heart by fucken suplexing a hound of darkness. That motherfucker just balls 24/7 and I love it.

I'm a few chapters into book 5 and Tehol is pretty amazing so far. Can't wait to see where this goes, I love stories of characters loving up the system.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Kreega Bondola posted:

Welp I finished book 4 and Karsa has stolen my heart by fucken suplexing a hound of darkness. That motherfucker just balls 24/7 and I love it.

I'm a few chapters into book 5 and Tehol is pretty amazing so far. Can't wait to see where this goes, I love stories of characters loving up the system.

Tehol is absolutely my favorite character in the series. I mean, I know Bugg is great, but Tehol is just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Karsa still stands as probably one of the best subversions of my expectations I've ever experienced. You just see this generic Barbarian Conan Badass, and then he turns into one of the best characters in the series somehow, and at the end of it you're still not entirely sure how, why or able to properly articulate it to anyone who hasn't read it.