Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I asked him about it at Comicon last month and he couldn't say much. Sounds like it's going pretty slowly. He did put out that scifi comedy in the meantime though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

So I'm guessing an October release is pretty unlikely then. Oh well I'm still not even halfway through my MoI reread, guess I'll just have to settle for the 3 million words we already have.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Hand Row posted:

This series is amazing to reread. All those little bits you gloss over become amazing when you actually have a background in it. It might not even be very insightful but just stuff like knowing what an Elder warren is and who it belongs to is nice.

I never reread anything but highly recommend it, time permitting of course.

And it gets better on each reread.

Also: I don't understand how people listen to audiobooks they haven't read before, let alone ones as complex as Malazan. Without the ability to flip pages for reference and given that any distraction means missing a few sentences, I can't retain any information if I'm listening to a new book. I'll go ten minutes before suddenly realizing I'm way past the point when I stopped paying attention. Different story for books I have read, as I can fill in anything I missed and just enjoy the narration.

Cardiac posted:

The series is best the third time through. :v:
Or maybe Habibi would say the fifth time through.

:) I don't even remember anymore if my current read is my fifth or sixth, but I'm doing it by audio book in slow anticipation of FoL and I've stumbled onto a bunch of stuff in spoken format that I missed however many times on the page.

Speaking of, and I'm pretty sure I caught it the first time around, but while people like to point to the drowned/imploded Edur from MoI as a good example of consistent story elements, Brokeface, one of the servants of Poliel in whichever book Paran kills her (BH?), being the soldier whose face Fiddler's horse bit through in DG is up there, too.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I also like how some of Karsa's "gods" come back in Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God as minor characters..

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair they are a somewhat important plan of TCG's plans.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Habibi posted:

And it gets better on each reread.

Also: I don't understand how people listen to audiobooks they haven't read before, let alone ones as complex as Malazan. Without the ability to flip pages for reference and given that any distraction means missing a few sentences, I can't retain any information if I'm listening to a new book. I'll go ten minutes before suddenly realizing I'm way past the point when I stopped paying attention. Different story for books I have read, as I can fill in anything I missed and just enjoy the narration.

:) I don't even remember anymore if my current read is my fifth or sixth, but I'm doing it by audio book in slow anticipation of FoL and I've stumbled onto a bunch of stuff in spoken format that I missed however many times on the page.

Different ways of processing information most effectively? :shrug:

I've definitely missed some stuff, but I'm pretty good about rewinding if I feel like I didn't quite get the gist of a paragraph and I tend to absorb things that I hear like a sponge. I can process things I read really well too, and I would like to physically read the books more often but audiobooks are just the most consistent way to consume books.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair they are a somewhat important plan of TCG's plans.

Oh, I guess I haven't gotten that far yet.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Oh, I guess I haven't gotten that far yet.

They appear in I think just about every book from HoC on, excepting MT, each time doing something of his bidding.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Habibi posted:

They appear in I think just about every book from HoC on, excepting MT, each time doing something of his bidding.
I'm sure I'll reread the series someday, though I may do so vicariously via the Tor reread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

I'm sure I'll reread the series someday, though I may do so vicariously via the Tor reread.

You'll see...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Ninth Layer posted:

So I'm guessing an October release is pretty unlikely then. Oh well I'm still not even halfway through my MoI reread, guess I'll just have to settle for the 3 million words we already have.

You should do an OP for each new book :newlol:

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

My Amazon preorder just got changed to 11/24/15.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
finished bonehunters. was randomly reading the thread cause im dumb and lol people are saying im going to be sympathetic towards kallor? curious to see how that's pulled off

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kallor is my favorite character in the entire series.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
yeah he does cool things like kill whiskeyjacjk

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I just borrowed the gardens of the moon from my library and compared to the Wheel of Time this book is much better. I really enjoyed the Black Company despite its faults (I feel it improved as the series went on ,but the first three books were really rough) and whoever said this is similar the different planes, magic and atmosphere feel similar and its enjoyable. I also sort of like how the book drops you into the story without spending alot of time giving backstory making me figure things out as it goes on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

I really enjoyed the Black Company despite its faults (I feel it improved as the series went on ,but the first three books were really rough)

You're the only person I've ever heard say that. The consensus seems to run the other way around.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Jack2142 posted:

I also sort of like how the book drops you into the story without spending alot of time giving backstory making me figure things out as it goes on.

You have no idea...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Khizan posted:

You're the only person I've ever heard say that. The consensus seems to run the other way around.

I dunno I thought moving too the weird Indian place was interesting because it was different from most fantasy that sticks to Europe themed locations, plus I think he got better writing characters etc. There was one book that was pretty bad the one with the flagbearer guy ,but the rest of the last six books I found enjoyable.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
Dust of Dreams: congrats Erikson, not only have you made a teenaged girl reciting poetry badass, but you've somehow tricked me into being invested in an Icarium plot line

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kreega Bondola posted:

Dust of Dreams: congrats Erikson, not only have you made a teenaged girl reciting poetry badass, but you've somehow tricked me into being invested in an Icarium plot line
I'm honestly not sure whether to laugh at you or feel sad for you on that second part. Either way, TCG is going to be a treat.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

I just borrowed the gardens of the moon from my library and compared to the Wheel of Time this book is much better. I really enjoyed the Black Company despite its faults (I feel it improved as the series went on ,but the first three books were really rough) and whoever said this is similar the different planes, magic and atmosphere feel similar and its enjoyable. I also sort of like how the book drops you into the story without spending alot of time giving backstory making me figure things out as it goes on.

If you enjoyed Gardens of the Moon the first time through then you are in for a real treat, as the books get considerably better from then on.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm like 100 pages into the second book and the Emperor/Dancer reveal made me poo poo my pants.

Also, there's less bad poetry than in the Gardens.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm like 100 pages into the second book and the Emperor/Dancer reveal made me poo poo my pants.

Yeah, that's still one of the biggest :stare: moments to me even now that I'm almost done with Memories of Ice.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khizan posted:

Kallor is my favorite character in the entire series.

His role in Dust of Dreams is great.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
whoops bruthen and brohl, the 2 edurs, are not the same person

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

whoops bruthen and brohl, the 2 edurs, are not the same person

Isn't one Trana and one Handar or something like that? But, yeah, different Edur.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So far I am enjoying this book and got about halfway before I got distracted by the Witcher 3 so I am gonna start again... because I lost my place.

So far in Gardens of the Moon this is what I am getting I am probably horribly offbase

The Shadow Realm I assume these guys are the former Emperor and dudes who got offed in the purges when the Empress shows up because I think Tattersail or Quick Ben says something about the realm appearing around that time

Whiskeyjack & the Bridgeburners are part of some plot against the Empress?

the realms are essentially like alternate dimensions which mages draw magic from?

Ascendants are essentially the ascended ancients from Stargate, but interfere in mortal affairs alot and are probably assholes.

The Moonspawn I honestly thought was a mercenary band until I found out it was a floating city controlled by elves from another dimension?

Darujistan is confusing me, Kruppe is annoying and I hope he dies soon.

Moranth are literally Vietnam War helicopters moving troops to the frontlines etc. and the Empire is becoming to dependent on them?

I am also horribly confused on the mages power-levels...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to Malazan, enjoy your stay.

You'll be correcting some of those assumptions as you go on, but they're all perfectly reasonable.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just assume that any given mage's power level is basically "infinity" and at some point or another you'll probably be right. Except when they're tired or... well, when it just isn't. As for the rest of that, well... you'll figure it out.

Unrelated (and new folks don't let your mouse anywhere near this - Memories of Ice) Did someone say Kallor was their favorite character? WTF? He just loving killed Whiskeyjack what the christ

Thankfully at least Tool just found and saved MY favorite character... or whatever the gently caress is left of him

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

You may learn to pity Kallor in time. He's at once one of the most awful characters in the book, and one of the most tragic.

I finished The Crippled God a couple days ago, and will post a trip report on getting through the full 10 books when I get a chance. (Along with a few questions.)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Unrelated (and new folks don't let your mouse anywhere near this - Memories of Ice) Did someone say Kallor was their favorite character? WTF? He just loving killed Whiskeyjack what the christ

Thankfully at least Tool just found and saved MY favorite character... or whatever the gently caress is left of him

Kallor is definitely interesting and complex, but I don't really feel any sympathy for him. Killing Whiskeyjack is actually one of the mildest atrocities he have done.

Also your favourite character is the Jonah of the Malazan series.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ynglaur posted:

You may learn to pity Kallor in time. He's at once one of the most awful characters in the book, and one of the most tragic.

Quite aside from the world-building and the gigantic cast, this is the quality of these books that keeps me interested. Erikson always goes to great lengths to show the reasons for why his villains are villainous, and usually they're tortured or tragic enough that even those responsible for the most heinous things (Pannion and Rhulad, even the Crippled God himself) can be potentially sympathetic. It's not so much moral relativism as the goal of seeing each villainous character in their entirety, understanding them as thinking and feeling beings. Doesn't excuse the actions of such characters in my view, but it tempers the sort of vicarious bloodlust the fantasy genre tends to cultivate regarding antagonists.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Also your favourite character is the Jonah of the Malazan series.

Well I guess I have two favorites, that guy and the guy who rescued him. I would totally read a buddy cop style book of just the two of them being bros and constantly frustrating the living gently caress out of Lady Envy.

Then again, that's kinda what the beginning of Memories of Ice was

I guess at this point I'm in this just as much for the funny as I am for the great stories. I still have a long way to go though, I *just* started House of Chains.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 27, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear.
You really know how to pick 'em.

Anyway, Kallor is great because - among other mildly spoilery things - he manages to be a total badass without having any powers. He's got no magic, he's not an ascendant, he's just really, really old and seen every trick in the book.

edit: As for the funny, you'll meet series' best comedy duo in book 5. Which is just as well because otherwise it's bleak as hell.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 27, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

edit: As for the funny, you'll meet series' best comedy duo in book 5. Which is just as well because otherwise it's Beak as hell.

:(

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Oh dear.

Anyway, Kallor is great because - among other mildly spoilery things - he manages to be a total badass without having any powers. He's got no magic, he's not an ascendant, he's just really, really old and seen every trick in the book.

Kallor isn't a mage and can never ascend, but he does have access to magically imbued items/tools and it's never specified what they really do besides letting him live forever. There's at least one scene (i think when hes with those bitch child andii)where a character goes from thinking he's a broken old man to a dangerous force of nature in about two seconds when he starts swinging his sword around. I agree in the sense that his primary talents powers and prowess are the product of being a badass warlord for millenia, but I don't think he's a pure baseline regular human.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Kallor the candles stop him aging from what I remember. Ascendants are immortal in the sense that they never age which is why his curse is different.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Oh dear.

edit: As for the funny, you'll meet series' best comedy duo in book 5. Which is just as well because otherwise it's bleak as hell.

But they're such good characters though... :negative:

I'm so down with a good comedy duo, although I really dunno what's gonna beat (Memories of Ice) Toc and Tool, or for that matter also literally everything Gruntle ever says or does, no matter who the straight man/woman is - sometimes it's Stonny, sometimes it's Iktovian, sometimes it's (insert random people here)

In a weird way it reminded me of the best moments of the later Dragonlance books - Mirror and Razor. Man, I would read a thousand page novel about those two just doing silly poo poo all day. The whole time I read that poo poo I was waiting for the next Mirror/Razor chapter.

Dear god I'm not touching those black bars, Something just tells me they're far beyond book 4.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fenrir posted:

But they're such good characters though... :negative:

I'm so down with a good comedy duo, although I really dunno what's gonna beat (Memories of Ice) Toc and Tool, or for that matter also literally everything Gruntle ever says or does, no matter who the straight man/woman is - sometimes it's Stonny, sometimes it's Iktovian, sometimes it's (insert random people here)

In a weird way it reminded me of the best moments of the later Dragonlance books - Mirror and Razor. Man, I would read a thousand page novel about those two just doing silly poo poo all day. The whole time I read that poo poo I was waiting for the next Mirror/Razor chapter.

Dear god I'm not touching those black bars, Something just tells me they're far beyond book 4.

Hellian and her whole squad should be in the running.