Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you click on the "Kindle Edition" link in the first of those two, you're taken to the second one, so I think it's basically the same?

I clicked both links and got different ones. First is the Tor edition at $9.99, second is Transworld at $7.54. Different covers and all. Dunno why you're getting the same for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Tedious_Bastard posted:

Tor edition of MoI: http://www.amazon.com/Memories-Ice-Malazan-Fallen-ebook/dp/B004JXVYO0/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1328992608&sr=8-1 Listed at 945 pages.

Transworld edition: http://www.amazon.com/Memories-Malazan-Book-Fallen-ebook/dp/B0031RS696/ref=tmm_kin_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1328992608&sr=8-1 Listed at 1204 pages.

Why the massive difference in page count, or is that mistaken? Are there other practical differences?

The Tor mass market has a very tiny font.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I clicked both links and got different ones. First is the Tor edition at $9.99, second is Transworld at $7.54. Different covers and all. Dunno why you're getting the same for both.

Weird. Did you click on "kindle edition" as well? Maybe it's an international thing, I'm not in the states.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I just picked up book 1 at the recommendation of several of my friends. Am I going to be extremely lost throughout book 1?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Weren't people complaining about various problems in the early Malazan ebooks, such as "Toe the Younger"?

And the Tiste Andü.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

I just picked up book 1 at the recommendation of several of my friends. Am I going to be extremely lost throughout book 1?

I found this site to be very helpful and useful for following things like charactors and details I missed while reading. Though dont read the comments at the very bottom of the page as they have spoilers and stuff. None of the two article writers spoil anything in thier text though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I picked up the first book recently, and I'm just starting chapter 3, but I have a question about chapter 2. Was there time fuckery in the story telling? It felt like I saw the aftermath of the battle, then the battle, then picked right back up at the aftermath again, with zero indication that the time shift had happened. Is there something that identifies that happening in the print version? I got the Kindle version. Does it happen again, and as confusingly?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Mostly done with Memories of Ice, and I have no idea what happened in Raraku. The explanation that is sorta/kinda provided by Whiskeyjack to Anomander Rake didn't clarify anything at all. It moved away from that as if the issue had been settled.

So is it like...the Bridgeburners went through hell and now will follow Whiskeyjack anywhere, or did the company fall under some kind of magical effect thingy?

I don't think the hellish experience explanation really works, because it didn't seem THAT bad. I mean, Coultaine's Chain of Dogs march seemed hellish, but the little flashback wasn't convincing enough.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The flashback was just meant to tell how the Bridgeburners met Quick Ben/Kalam I'm pretty sure.

e: also who Quick Ben was and why he has like 12 warrens

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Bridgeburner had a "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"-experience in Raraku, (re)making them basically into devil may care badasses, who went through Hell and survived to tell the tale. You get more about the whole thing in House of Chains.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Well, good to hear he goes back to that. I'm just going to pretend Raraku was Viet Nam and continue onwards.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Decius posted:

The Bridgeburner had a "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"-experience in Raraku, (re)making them basically into devil may care badasses, who went through Hell and survived to tell the tale. You get more about the whole thing in House of Chains.

When? I can't remember that scene. :(

I also thought the Bridgeburner premise was a bit loose but maybe I'm forgetting some key thing from HoC.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BananaNutkins posted:

Well, good to hear he goes back to that. I'm just going to pretend Raraku was Viet Nam and continue onwards.

Raraku is basically a holy land. This is a series where doing badass things brings you closer to being a god, and the trek was essentially a pilgrimage. It's at least semi-mystical imo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BananaNutkins posted:

It's not Viet Nam, it's a magic desert that changes anyone who survives it. There are deserts in reality which nearby indigenous cultures believe to have similar properties.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

Raraku is basically a holy land. This is a series where doing badass things brings you closer to being a god, and the trek was essentially a pilgrimage. It's at least semi-mystical imo.

Yeah, I got that. I meant Nam in that it was a scarring, mentally hardening event that turned this soldiers into ice cold veterans.

The ascendancy thing is the most annoying part of the series. I hate how people will just look at someone, even a friggin dog, and be like whoa, that rat thing is close to ascendancy/godhood. It rips me out of the story, becuase I feel like the person making the observation just checked someones character sheet that I don't have access to because I wasn't invited to their exclusive tabletop gaming night.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

I hate how people will just look at someone, even a friggin dog, and be like whoa, that rat thing is close to ascendancy/godhood.

As far as I remember this never happens.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Abalieno posted:

People do that all the time with Stormy and Gesler. I forget when those spoilers are relevant to exactly because it happens so much.

Edit: Apparently it is first mentioned in Deadhouse Gates when Nil checks them out after Coltaine and one of them throw down a little. It's mentioned a decent amount from there on out.

Sir Bruce fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 16, 2012

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Abalieno posted:

It also happens in Memories of Ice. Toc the Younger says it about one of Lady Envy's dogs. The first time I recall it happening was, like the guy above stated, in Deadhouse Gates with the headless galley and those characters.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 16, 2012

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
As far as I remember in DG people react to very concrete elements. Like the skin hue changes or resisting a very hard punch.

That's why I said it never happened. It doesn't happen as a sort of sixth sense, but through concrete clues.

I don't remember the case of Toc.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Dogs and donkeys are pretty special in the world of Malazan.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Isn't Lady Envy's dog very special however? I recall it being (big spoiler) Fanderay

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Isn't Lady Envy's dog very special however? I recall it being (big spoiler) Fanderay

Yeah. And Togg was in Toc. I can't remember what the other one was. I think it was an Ay but there was something else special about it.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Malazan, like all fantasy novels, has tons of dumb stuff. The fact that literally everyone and everything is an ascendant or god or is nearing that status is one of them, and actually it detracts from one of the core themes of the book that we get a lot of philosophizing on that mortals can challenge gods/ascendants. This is constantly mentioned by Paran, who himself is an ascendant for no particular reason other than random 'chosen by fate' type stuff.

Still a good series though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BananaNutkins posted:

It also happens in Memories of Ice. Toc the Younger says it about one of Lady Envy's dogs. The first time I recall it happening was, like the guy above stated, in Deadhouse Gates with the headless galley and those characters.
It doesn't necessarily turn you into a shell-shocked wackjob, though.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Malazan, like all fantasy novels, has tons of dumb stuff. The fact that literally everyone and everything is an ascendant or god or is nearing that status is one of them, and actually it detracts from one of the core themes of the book that we get a lot of philosophizing on that mortals can challenge gods/ascendants. This is constantly mentioned by Paran, who himself is an ascendant for no particular reason other than random 'chosen by fate' type stuff.

Still a good series though.

It's never bothered me that much because we're at the center of the story, and there's a reason so many powers are gathering.

Also I like Paran's role as Master of the Deck. It seems like a good - or at least interesting - fit. I like him a lot better in book 3+ than in book 1 at least.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Paran

Yeah his inclusion in Book 1 was kind of confusing, there's no effort to develop him much but he keeps on showing up. I just kept thinking "Who the gently caress is this mook and why do we care?"

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It's never bothered me that much because we're at the center of the story, and there's a reason so many powers are gathering.

The only time it ever bothered me is when you'd get random bouts with normal people, like just guys hanging out in a village or whatever. Like that town in the Karsa HoC Prologue. Just some normal people farming and poo poo. You wonder how there are any left when there seems to be a battle every month or two that wipes out entire continents and you trip over a god or a genocidal race that was thought to be extinct every time you walk a step.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ Power Attracts Power.

Why do people make such a deal out of how unlikely it is that all these "powers" come together at the climax of every story, every time? It was explained early on and repeatedly, that it's part of how the world works. When you accumulate enough power, it's similar to having a great enough mass and density in space - you pick up your own "gravity." And when you're cruising around the galaxy and cross paths with the gravity well of some other reasonably large body, you'll throw each other off slightly, and if neither of you were moving at a high enough rate, then you would eventually attract each other and collide.

The the Malazan books there is generally some kind of serious (metaphorical) "black hole" of power/gravity in each book, which attracts all of the powers within range, like moths to a flame.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Yeah his inclusion in Book 1 was kind of confusing, there's no effort to develop him much but he keeps on showing up. I just kept thinking "Who the gently caress is this mook and why do we care?"
I asked this way harder about Trull Sengar, because I somehow totally skipped over the connection of him showing up at the end of the book before Midnight Tides.

Paran was always a bit bland to me, largely in part because of his noble upbringing and initial attitude. He's just a spoiled, douchey kid, and despite a lot of good fortune keeping him alive through some pretty wild scenarios, he still seems to me to just be a spoiled, douchey kid with a big chip on his shoulder (and some gnarly scars), for the most part.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

coyo7e posted:

Why do people make such a deal out of how unlikely it is that all these "powers" come together at the climax of every story, every time? It was explained early on and repeatedly, that it's part of how the world works. When you accumulate enough power, it's similar to having a great enough mass and density in space - you pick up your own "gravity." And when you're cruising around the galaxy and cross paths with the gravity well of some other reasonably large body, you'll throw each other off slightly, and if neither of you were moving at a high enough rate, then you would eventually attract each other and collide.

The the Malazan books there is generally some kind of serious (metaphorical) "black hole" of power/gravity in each book, which attracts all of the powers within range, like moths to a flame.

That and it's likely that, not sure if this is even worth spoilering but, the Crippled God and other God's in opposition to him have been manipulating every one with power to gather together, cross paths, fight, etc.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

coyo7e posted:

Paran was always a bit bland to me, largely in part because of his noble upbringing and initial attitude. He's just a spoiled, douchey kid, and despite a lot of good fortune keeping him alive through some pretty wild scenarios, he still seems to me to just be a spoiled, douchey kid with a big chip on his shoulder (and some gnarly scars), for the most part.

Once he got murdered I started cutting him a bit more slack, but it's still a bit bizarre that the most white-collar prick all of a sudden becomes someone we need to care a gently caress of a lot about as the Master of the Deck.

Spoilertalk :(

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Another way to look at it is like in the real world when a country obtains, or starts working to obtain, nuclear weapons it attracts the attention of every other country and the most powerful of those countries are going to go out of their way to gently caress with that country. In Malazan nuclear weapons would equal ascendancy-type powers and the thrones that grant access to the most powerful of these powers.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Once he got murdered I started cutting him a bit more slack, but it's still a bit bizarre that the most white-collar prick all of a sudden becomes someone we need to care a gently caress of a lot about as the Master of the Deck .

Spoilertalk
I don't know, I think Paran being a noble and a prick actually helps him in being Master of the Deck in that he's used to ordering around and organizing people and he doesn't have a problem with calling someone out and putting them in their place when it's needed.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

coyo7e posted:

The point was less that the powers collide and more that normal people even seem to exist at all in the books, because they're completely exceptions rather than the norm.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Except that you're talking in broad generalizations which are not true. That's like complaining that a WEB Griffith book doesn't have anyone in the world who's not a soldier, or loving a soldier when he's home from tours. Of course there won't be many interesting characters who aren't "in the loop", they would be rare because in that setting they're unnecessary and boring to the story as a whole.

There are plenty of normal people who become ascendants, the rest who don't, didn't hang around long enough, and it'd be boring as sin to follow Sorry's dad around in his jackass adventures, despite the potential for monologues.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
And following certain characters with power is still boring as sin.

Paran rules later on because he is basically Gambit, and Gambit rules.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

bigmcgaffney posted:

And following certain characters with power is still boring as sin.

Like in MoI, you think Caladan Brood is gonna be awesome, and then he does fuckall except mope around, and all he uses his super powerful hammer for is trying to intimidate a fat guy.

I get the impression that certain powerful characters are so burdened by their power and wanting to do the "right" thing with it that they end up just doing nothing.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 18, 2012

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

I get the impression that certain powerful characters are so burdened by their power and wanting to do the "right" thing with it that they end up just doing nothing.
Like Tayschrenn, but then there is Anomander who chooses to do what is necessary.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I hope that in the Tiste Andii prequel series we get to see a lot of young, arrogant Anomander using his powers indiscriminately.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Can someone explain what a full unveiling is? I've just started Midnight Tides a few days ago and it was mentioned that the seal killers were going to be subject to a full unveiling from the Edur High Warlock. Also, we saw the full unveiling of High House Dark in MoI near the end. Does it basically exhaust the power of a warren in a single, huge, nuclear strike type use?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

pakman posted:

Can someone explain what a full unveiling is? I've just started Midnight Tides a few days ago and it was mentioned that the seal killers were going to be subject to a full unveiling from the Edur High Warlock. Also, we saw the full unveiling of High House Dark in MoI near the end. Does it basically exhaust the power of a warren in a single, huge, nuclear strike type use?

I think so though without exhausting, it also seems to create a permanent link between that warren and where it was used. Almost like a gate to that warren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I think a better way to describe it, rather than "using up" all the power, is with a sun analogy.

Assume the sun is up there, but the sky is a giant piece of blackout paper. So you can't see the sun. Now use a flat earth with the sun always overhead or this breaks down with day/night and all.

Using magic is taking a giant pole and poking a little hole in that paper. As a result, a little bit of light (magic energy) comes through. This magic energy can be manipulated by the people who can poke holes. The paper tries to heal itself though, so to keep using the power you have to keep that hole poked.

Now imagine lots of paper and lots of suns in different realities. That's what Quickben does when wielding multiple warrens. He's poking lots of holes at the same time and keeping them all poked.

People sensitive to light (magic) can see this ray of light breaking down, and roughly where it's hitting. As such, magic is detectable, and power draws power.

Now a full unveiling is ripping away ALL of the paper over that section of the world, so you can see the whole sun and some of the sky behind it too. This is a HUGE amount of light (power) compared to the usual pinpricks people make. Unfortunately, this also permanently damages the paper over that bit of sky, so there's a permanent hole/gate, or at least a very long term one.

Of course, poking these holes or even ripping the entire paper away doesn't "use up" the sun's energy, or the warren's magic. In fact, what gets through even without the paper is a tiny fraction of the power being radiated every second anyway. So yeah, even a full unveiling in multiple places across Wu wouldn't "use up" a warren. It'd simply allow more of it's power to radiate into Wu, rather than being bounced out into chaos.

Because chaos, is of course, space. It's where power that the warrens radiate off end up. That's why it's "between" the warrens. Inhabitable worlds are planets with atmospheres, bouncing back most or all of that power, and warrens themselves are suns.