Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I finished the first book a couple of weeks ago. I really like the writing, it's a little bit dense and requires more effort than usual for the genre.

I picked it up after finishing ASOIAF and if I were to compare the two series, I'd say that A Song of Ice and Fire reads like a TV series (I thought that even before the show was announced) and Malazan reads like the best pen and paper campaign ever.

The action sequences were superb and what really endeared the book to me was that the only two remotely sexual relationships were actually platonic crushes. No underage rape in this one! Alas, then I picked up Deadhouse Gates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

farcry posted:

Reading Deadhouse Gates and just got to the part where they meet the bonehunters on the boat in the warren and while I am normally ok with high fantasy stuff this really put me off somehow. The whole mud thing was just wierd and then the rest might also be me not being able to keep up so much with the whole plot thing going on in the scene, got the same feeling also from when you find out the old emporer and dancer are cotilion and shadowthrone it just didnt seem right and like it was kind of forced in. Should I continue reading or is the series going to continue like this? And is it just me being dumb and not thinking hard enough or keeping up with plot thing?

I'm halfway through book three and Erikson just keeps dumping reveals within reveals upon you. More stuff gets revealed in the first half of MoI than in the first nine books of Wheel of Time. So take that as a warning.

E: completely misread your post, you are reading DG. The first half of my post still stands.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 9, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm 45 percent into Bonehunters and it still feels like a prologue. Will this get any better soon?
It's so underwhelming after Midnight Tides which is my favorite up to now. Did anyone else catch a Wooster and Jeeves vibe with Tehol and Bugg? And was the story about hairy eels a Simpsons reference?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

2. It's one of the Crust brothers. Which precisely completely escapes me, but you are on the right track, yes

Urko