Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started The Bonehunters. I'll miss the Letheras cast, Midnight Tides may be my favorite book of the series so far. Which leads me to my question. When does Shurq Elalle show up next? I'm very much looking forward to her stint as a pirate queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ublala wasn't forced to have sex with anyone. Shand, Rissarh and Hejun came onto him, Ublala replied favorably but found that their interest was only skin deep. They more or less took turns with him for sex but never bothered to spend time with him outside that or get to know him as a person, all of which was quite troubling and upsetting for a sensitive soul like Ublala. They certainly refused to leave off groping and pursuing him even after their treatment hurt his feelings, which is why he spent so much time hiding out in Tehol's building. From his first interaction with Shurq their relationship played out far differently. She didn't just pull him into a dark alley once she got a look at his Tarthenal warclub. In that first conversation on Tehol's roof she started rebuilding his confidence with those dares to jump quietly from roof to roof with her, and took him out on a fun date to rob Gerun Eberict. From what the reader sees of that night they didn't even have sex after or as part of that outing, Shurq feeds the ootooloo with help from Eberict's gardener after all.

Ublala is a kind, sensitive young Tarthenal half-blood, and the respect with which Shurq treats his emotions is nothing short of charming, though I find all her Midnight Tides scenes charming.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

I wonder what sort of fan fiction Shurq has launched

Maybe I don't want to know.

You mean you don't want to find out just how many variations of sex-assassin attire exist?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have a link for information on the tabletop campaign that came before the novels? Or does anyone here know much about it? I've always wanted to know the details--what system they used, how long it ran, which characters were player characters, etc.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was Kruppe somebody's GURPS character?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

It does, but I think it catches a lot of people off guard what with a large and completely new cast of characters, winding time back some years, etc... I know one friend of mine was loving the series and then had so much trouble adjusting to the above that he stopped reading like a tenth of the way through and never came back to it. Too bad for him.

Even reading a 10th of the way in would've exposed your friend to Tehol & Bugg scene or two, if he wasn't hooked by Letherii roof-based financial shenanigans he might be a lost cause.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
The same people who bag on Sansa didn't like Felisin? Color me shocked.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished The Bonehunters a few days ago. That convergence was my favorite so far, narrowly beating out the climax of Midnight Tides for me. Is it ever explained why, of all the potential options available to her, Tavore chose to take her army to Letheras? If she's been outlawed by the empire, defending it against further Edur incursions doesn't seem like her highest possible priority. Dropping off Nil, Nether and the rest of her Wickans was a fine deed, but I reckon the full 14th Army could've put down the pogrom on the Wickan Plains at lot more surely and speedily, not to mention secure a base from which to free the empire from Laseen, Korbolo Dom and Mallick Rel.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a different note, should I expect much more screen time for Masan Gilani in the last four books? Her fond reminiscences of insane, zebra-bred Dal Honese horses and killing one of Dejim Nebrahl with nothing but a kethra knife and a loincloth to her name won me over for keeps.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished Reaper's Gale yesterday. That last Beak scene, with Hood and his brother almost made me cry, something this series hasn't managed since the Chain of Dogs.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, a guy's got to keep fresh. Nothing keeps you chipper like the soothing chill of an Omtose Phellack timepiece up the kiester.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

anilEhilated posted:

I'd also argue that Crokus' level of badassery is actually very, very low (and it's better that way). The whole Cutter thing is meant to be awkward.

He does manage to stick Ralleck Nom before either of them can think twice. He also kills Gorlas Vidikas, a man famous for killing people with swords, before anyone can blink. And he was no slouch fighting the Edur on Drift Avalii. He's certainly no Apsalar or Kalam, but he was probably the nastiest assassin in Darujhistan after Vorcan in TtH.

I'm smack in the middle of my first time through the Toll the Hounds convergence right now. I like Hood. I like him a whole drat lot. But then that's been the case since Beak's big scene.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will I really have to read the Esselmont books to get more focus on the Crimson Guard? I really liked Iron Bars &co. in Midnight Tides.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I think I'll just leave the mystique intact and not read Esselmont at all.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree with the criticism of Michael Page in the audiobooks, but it be said: he does a fantastic Hellian.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khizan posted:

Kallor is my favorite character in the entire series.

His role in Dust of Dreams is great.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ynglaur posted:

You may learn to pity Kallor in time. He's at once one of the most awful characters in the book, and one of the most tragic.

Quite aside from the world-building and the gigantic cast, this is the quality of these books that keeps me interested. Erikson always goes to great lengths to show the reasons for why his villains are villainous, and usually they're tortured or tragic enough that even those responsible for the most heinous things (Pannion and Rhulad, even the Crippled God himself) can be potentially sympathetic. It's not so much moral relativism as the goal of seeing each villainous character in their entirety, understanding them as thinking and feeling beings. Doesn't excuse the actions of such characters in my view, but it tempers the sort of vicarious bloodlust the fantasy genre tends to cultivate regarding antagonists.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hood just bit half of Equity's head off. Hood rules.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spax of the Gilk is great.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished TCG last week, well on my way into Forge of Darkness. Poor Cuttle. Erikson's ruminations on childhood always do me in.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every Jaghut scene in Forge of Darkness is great.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, having finished Forge of Darkness, are there any common theories on what becomes of Arathan between FoD and the 1100s, Burn's Sleep?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

1) He is Tayschrenn (who has gone by the name Artanthos)

I really like this one, even if I think the Quick Ben angle is a lot more likely.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not his fault Anomander wouldn't take his grief.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fenrir posted:

For some reason I imagine Gene Hackman.

Circa Unforgiven, yeah, I can see that too.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daric posted:

I'm getting to the end of TCG Gesler and Stormy are amazing. As dark as these books can get, I like them so much more than the Game of Thrones series because the humor is so much better. "Is this you, 'oh carrier of flint loving swords'? 'Oh, there's a soul stuck in the sky, let me fix that!'" Had me cracking up. I'm listening to the audiobooks so I get voices along with it and it's great.

After I finish this, should I go through the esselmont books or read FoD first? And the Bauchelein and Korbal Broach books are short stories right?

Get into FoD as soon as you can once you finish TCG, I did the same just a few weeks ago and it's a journey worth taking. Haven't read the Esselmont books, don't plan to.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CompeAnansi posted:

Is the consensus that you should wait to read FoD until after you've finished the main series? I'm on tBH right now.

either start or end with FoD, going to it midway through will just make for confusion.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tommofork posted:

Hahahahaha. Yeah TtHs is a hell of a slog, unless you're a weirdo and really interested in the young Andii, Kallor, Karsa and Dassem bro-ing it up while Samar Dev looks on in horror, Torvald Nom and his idiot friends, young Harllo, Stonny, Murillo etc but that ending is convergence distilled into its purest form.

real spoiler: I was interested in those things.

Karsa getting all protective and jealous of Samar when Dassem first joins their little group was adorable.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going back through Reaper's Gale. This time through, with FoD fresh in my memory, I'm finding a much higher appreciation for Silchas Ruin. Of all the ancient Tiste soletaken we meet in the books he seems to be the only one--with the exception of Anomander himself--capable of really reflecting on and learning from his mistakes. He was able to take the hint after his embarrassing excursion to Letheras, he was able to take his imprisonment without holding a grudge against Anomander for never coming to bust him out, and he's particularly good with Kettle. I'd love to read more about him, Rud Elalle, and the resurrected Imass, some day after the Kharkanas and Karsa Orlong trilogies.

I also only just realized that the swords he gets from Quru Kan through Brys in Midnight Tides, the ancient Letherii steel ones, laugh in battle just like Hust swords. Which leads me to wonder whether the ancient Letherii colonists from the First Empire didn't reverse engineer a few of those found at old Tiste battle sites.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

anilEhilated posted:

Uh, you remember what's going to happen to Kettle, right?

I remember. Considering she was the shell of a little girl wrapped around an Azath seed after her resurrection, I feel he did the best he could in the time they had. He listened to her, he cared about her, his rage at the Edur and Letherii slave-catchers who victimized her at the start of Reaper's Gale was probably the most sincere display of emotion we get out of Silchas in the core series. It's not his fault she was reborn to die again.

e: I wouldn't go so far as to characterize Silchas as a good man or something, he was going to kill a lot of otherwise innocent people in Letheras if those Moranth munitions hadn't stopped him. But by the standards of unutterably ancient dragon-elves who aren't Anomander Rake he comes out miles ahead of, say, Bloodeye or Menandore.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 14, 2015

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone remember what became of the Errant by the end of TCG? I recall Draconus killing Sechul Lath and Kilmandaros, but not what happened to Errastas.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leospeare posted:

And the best part is it's a completely one-sided rivalry, as I don't remember Paran ever knowing or caring about the Errant.

Even when they were on the same continent in TCG it doesn't look like Errastas ever made his presence felt around the former Dujek's Host. But then he was never one for confronting his peers head-on.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone recall what happens to Masan Gilani in TCG? I don't remember her showing up again after she rides with the Seven of the Dead Fires.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having skimmed the concluding sections of TCG, I get the impression she's one of several Bonehunter marines who die off-screen defending the Crippled God's body, though I didn't see her fate mentioned explicitly.

E: The same skimming only reaffirmed my abiding appreciation of the jaghut in general.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Damo posted:

I just finished House of Chains.

So, this Karsa Orlong guy.... he's going places, isn't he?

You just wait till his best moment, towards the end of The Crippled God.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Could one of you willing to read the Esselmont books spill the beans on what's going on in Assail?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah both Ralph Lister and Michael Paige do a great job. Shame about FoD maybe I'll see if I can find a library copy so I can reread it before Fall of Light.

i on the other hand quite liked the FoD reader, so your reaction may vary

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's actually really good.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ninth Layer posted:

He's gotta be up there with them, I'll bet he would give Karsa and Traveler a tough fight at the very least, if not Anomander. One of the most overlooked characters of the series imo.

Eh, remember when Karsa watches Traveler and Anomander fight. And admits either of them would tear him apart. I'd give Yedan good odds against Karsa or even the Forkrul Assail elders in TCG, but only in the knowledge that Erickson himself finds these kinds of 'power rankings' silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

There will probably never be a fight between karsa and one of the best human swordsman in the series if only because either he dies immediately or breaks their sword/them

I wonder what Karsa's reaction would've been to watching Brys defeat Rhulad in the Letherii throne room.

e:

Mustang posted:

Immediately jumped into Forge of Darkness and I'm just like "what?"

Just roll with it. Everything will make sense in time.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2016