Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I remember Quick Ben's sister being in one of the books but not much about how she was described or acted, maybe details about her might clarify it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

I just finished The Crippled God and while I found the series to be pretty mediocre, there's one thing about the ending that bugged me:

What the hell happened to T'iam? Was TCG killing Korabas what prevented that thing from truly causing any chaos? It says it emerges... and then TCG is killed, and it's over. I'm confused.
I think it was a matter of Korabas being unleashed and needing to be stopped is what was drawing Tiam so when Korabas was chained by the Crippled God and neutralized, it negated any need or desire of Tiam to be there so she withdrew.That's my take on it, but I did read the book very fast so I could be wrong about some of the details.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Calde posted:

I'm interested! Hearing Malazan compared to Bakker's books is the reason I read this thread.
I'm interested too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I'm in the middle of a series re-read before I donate it to the local library and just get Kindle versions for archive. The series hits a high at Memories of Ice and seems to level off until Reaper's Gale. Post Reaper's Gale is too convoluted, it's hard to discern intention and meaning when everything is so muddled. That's all despite having a ridiculous amount of filler that should be fleshing things out too but instead feels wasteful. Toll the Hounds and Dust of Dreams in particular were really hard to read, I had to push myself through them at times.

Looking at the series in retrospect I think his editor just needs to snap the whip more often. Some of those books could have lost 100-200 pages without really detracting from the overall narrative threads.
Toll the Hounds is where he started going way overboard with all the philosophical inner musings of characters. I liked it better on a reread because I knew what parts I could skim without missing huge chunks of important info.

I thought Dust of Dreams suffered from the same thing plus the addition of the Snake and the Shake subplots. The shake story just took way too long to make sense, although I liked some of the characters involved. The Snake storyline made less sense than the Shake and it was just way too late in the series to introduce a whole new subset of brand new characters and their motivations, especially if they're not even going to be antagonists. I just couldn't get invested in either of those parts(the Snake moreso) and they took up too many pages.

I really liked the Crippled God though. I think it being the final volume helped a lot because he had to start tying up loose ends and couldn't start new side plots that wouldn't wrap up in this book. One of Erikson's strengths that a lot of fantasy books don't deliver on are his epic climaxes and he even made the payoff to the Shake storyline, which I was doubtful of leading to anything good, really kick-rear end.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

My favorite is Midnight Tides, for me it's where the Erikson hit the right spot between worldbuilding, story, characters and pay off. It's also full of foreshadowing and you get to read Erikson raging at Capitalism.
You forgot to put humor in there, but, yeah, Midnight Tides is my favorite too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I like that all the characters basically just do whatever they immediately have to do, so even though they're wading among pantheons of gods and their underlings who all have their own chemes going, I never feel like the plot extends too far past what the characters are doing. In other fantasy books I sometimes feel like I'm waiting for the author to drag his characters to the next big plot reveal, but with Erikson there's always something happening in the present, and the plot reveals just sort of get discovered by the characters.

Those plot reveals also get discovered by the reader books later when you realize that some of the stuff that seemed like it just could have been random details to flush out the world building and history actually tie into something that's going on currently.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm currently reading Glenn Cook's first Dread Empire omnibus and there's a character in it named Mocker that has to be Erikson's main influence for Kruppe. It's also a really good book, if you're looking for some good fantasy to read you should check it out.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

victrix posted:

Guys... I just finished Crippled God.

What do I do now? :(

I no longer want to read other fantasy novels.
Try the Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. I like it just as much as Malazan and for a lot of the same reasons.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, I don't think Bakker was trying to copy Erikson at all. I said I like him for some of the same reasons as in both series have very deep world building and lots of philosophy. While Bakker doesn't have humor in his books like Erikson, I think his characterization and prose are better.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Would I be missing/spoiling anything if I read Midnight Tides before House of Chains? I can only afford to buy one or the other at the moment, and Midnight Tides is sounding more interesting to me right now than HoC. Also the cover of MT is way cooler.

e: whoops, sorry about the double post
No, it's set on a whole different continent with a whole different set of new characters.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Srice posted:

Rothfuss in particular is a great example of this because when he was writing The Wise Man's Fear, his editor told him that the only restriction he had was that he could not make the page count so obscenely high that it would be impossible to physically keep the book bound.

I've often wondered if this is what happens with 99% of fantasy authors whose first book or two sell really well.
I think it also happens with a large percentage of fantasy authors who don't sell well or are well known. I had a series of books by JV Jones and the level of page padding with unnecessary description and drawn out plot progression(not to mention the number of characters who were unnecessary to the main, or even secondary, plot) was insane. There was an interesting-sounding story buried under all this rubbish but I gave up after multiple times of skipping a hundred page chunk of book and finding that the plot had still barely moved.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I also just finished Orb, Sceptre and Throne. I really enjoyed it and thought it is I.C.E's best novel so far. He has improved significantly in his pacing and plotting and while Erikson is still a much better writer overall, it was refreshing reading a new Malazan novel without the overkill of philosophical rambling that has plagued Erikson's most recent entries in the series.

I agree with what Decius said about the Segulah being overpowered compared to their previous depictions and how the Malazan army reacted to them getting bombarded with munitions just doesn't fit with them gleefully using them to cause as much death and destruction as possible in previous novels.

One weird thing I noticed was how he described Stonny and Blend as being heavy. I don't think either of them were described that way before and I always pictured them both as skinny.

Masonity posted:

or our old friend [spoiler]Karsa, who was apparantly in the Darujhistan area during all this, yet didn't actually take part, or even appear, in the story. I'm also struggling to remember what part Brood played in the finale. He was built up as a major player in the convergence, but having just put the book down I can't actually remember him doing anything in the finale. Brood was ready to walk in to Darujhistan and put an end to the tyrant, but in the end Kruppe set up the guards to wound him, then pretty much finished him off himself didn't he?
Brood punched and broke the magical foundation stones that Spindle and Duiker were trying to destroy at the end.

Yeah, I was disappointed that we still haven't gotten a Karsa/Torvald reunion when they were both in the same book/area again.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ Power Attracts Power.

Why do people make such a deal out of how unlikely it is that all these "powers" come together at the climax of every story, every time? It was explained early on and repeatedly, that it's part of how the world works. When you accumulate enough power, it's similar to having a great enough mass and density in space - you pick up your own "gravity." And when you're cruising around the galaxy and cross paths with the gravity well of some other reasonably large body, you'll throw each other off slightly, and if neither of you were moving at a high enough rate, then you would eventually attract each other and collide.

The the Malazan books there is generally some kind of serious (metaphorical) "black hole" of power/gravity in each book, which attracts all of the powers within range, like moths to a flame.

Another way to look at it is like in the real world when a country obtains, or starts working to obtain, nuclear weapons it attracts the attention of every other country and the most powerful of those countries are going to go out of their way to gently caress with that country. In Malazan nuclear weapons would equal ascendancy-type powers and the thrones that grant access to the most powerful of these powers.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Once he got murdered I started cutting him a bit more slack, but it's still a bit bizarre that the most white-collar prick all of a sudden becomes someone we need to care a gently caress of a lot about as the Master of the Deck .

Spoilertalk
I don't know, I think Paran being a noble and a prick actually helps him in being Master of the Deck in that he's used to ordering around and organizing people and he doesn't have a problem with calling someone out and putting them in their place when it's needed.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I hope that in the Tiste Andii prequel series we get to see a lot of young, arrogant Anomander using his powers indiscriminately.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^^
My worry was that the Kharkanas books would have way more of the philosophizing, as the Tiste Andii seemed like the most inward looking race with the longest internal monologues.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
One character of Erikson's that I think is just as well written as any of Martin's is Kallor. He has an arc that's similar to Jamie's in that I hated him with a passion and thought he was the biggest lowlife rear end in a top hat until I got to know him in later books and see things from his viewpoint, after that he became one of my favorites.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I think the Snake storyline was totally unnecessary and should have been edited out. It was just too late in the series for me to have large sections of the book be devoted to a completely new and foreign plot with no foreshadowing or familiar characters for reference.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
While Erikson does come off as conceited and rambles too much about the literary concepts of his series in interviews, I don't think it's fair to say that it has no true literary value or isn't art just because it's fantasy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

I'd witness a Karsa/Torvald Nom reunion scene if those bastards would only put one in the drat books!

I want more Ublala Pung in the upcoming Karsa trilogy just as much as this.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I read books. posted:

I know this might not be the best place to ask, but does anyone know of any sort of book reading software for the PC that WONT destroy my eyes after a while? The way text is set up in books ruins my eyes on my laptop screen for some reason, and I haven't had an opportunity to get Toll the Hounds yet and after finishing Reaper's Gale a couple of weeks ago, really need to get my Malazan fix. Any suggestions are welcome!

When I do read a book on the PC I use the Mobipocket Reader. I don't know if it will help with your eyes but it does have a ton of different options for changing up the font, text size and background color that might be beneficial for you and it's free.

Anyway, I just got Forge of Darkness today. I've only been able to read a couple of chapters so far, but I do like what I have read.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'd read TCG first just so I didn't forget who everyone is and where everything stands leading into it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Danger posted:

How does it this book stand in comparison to the first four? I realize that House of Chains started the Edur story without much information and this explains will probably explain a lot of it, but I still can't help but drag my feet a bit.

Am I being silly?

Midnight Tides is my favorite book out of the whole Malazan series. I had the same problem as you the first time I started reading it but I got pulled into the story once I got used to the new setting and characters and it just started flying by after that. If it helps, just think of it as a stand alone fantasy novel that happens to be set in the Malazan universe and worry about how it fits into the larger picture later on.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Blood and Bone, Esslemont's new Malazan novel, is out in the UK. I think I'm gonna have to try finding it on Book Depository.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bigmcgaffney posted:

My favorite part of TTH was the creepy Dying God stuff, it reminded me of the Pannion stuff. And now I remember Gruntle's House of Death and that was awesome.

OST could have been really good, but something was missing and it ended up being mediocre. Maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough but I was confused as to what the whole Tyrant thing was about, and the one monster corpse that was left in the tomb.

Yeah, I was expecting the Tyrant to have more of a payoff where there would be some kind of really cool reveal of how he fit into the already established Malazan mythology but it never came. Same with the Stormriders in Stonewielder.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Raygereio posted:

From I gather "demon" is a catchall term describing the various beings not from Wu. Some can have whole societies, some may be little more then animals. But as long as it's from elsewhere: it's a demon.

I think one factor that can narrow down which creatures are demons is that if they're a race that can be summoned and commanded by sorcerers/wizards then they can be considered demons.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hot. From the upcoming SubPress special edition.

I like it. I never thought the K'Chainne Che'Malle were this huge though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It is kind of daunting to re-read this series because it takes up two entire levels on my bookshelves. But it must be done. Goodbye, six months!

Whenever I feel like rereading anything Malazan, I just pick whichever novel of the series that appeals to me the most at the time instead of starting the whole series from the very beginning and reading them in order. I think I've read Midnight Tides the most times out of all the books. I've also read the first part of House of Chains that follows Karsa a bunch of times without reading that whole novel.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I didn't even mind Nimander, the Andii who dragged the book down for me were the old man, the priestess, and Anonmander himself until he actually left the castle and did something.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Can anyone recommend me anything in either sci-fi or fantasy (I'm honestly not picky on this front, it can be any type of sci-fi or fantasy. Doesn't have to be far future, doesn't have to be medieval) that manages to hit the same emotional highs that Erikson manages? Series spoilers follow: I'm specifically looking for books that can strike the same chords as moments such as the sacrifices of Itkovian, Rake and Beak; Gesler's death; Karsa giving comfort to the dying old man to name a few.

Does anyone know of anything that I could take a look at?

Guy Gavriel Kay. He might even be better than Erikson at this type of thing, he really knows how to get you emotionally invested and hit those bittersweet notes. The majority of his books are stand alone, and I think his two latest, Under Heaven and River of Stars, are his best.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I want to reread Tigana but as far as I can tell there's no ebook version. I haven't run in to that since like 2011...

The audiobook version is pretty good if you like audiobooks.

coyo7e posted:

I've been meaning to start in on Kay as well but always forget to pick one up when I've got cash, or I forget which one to begin with.

Since most his novels are historical fiction/fantasy hybrids maybe go with whatever historical period or culture interests you the most from what he covers. There's Moorish Spain in Lions of Al Rassan; Vikings, Wales and Saxons in Last Light of the Sun; Byzantine Empire in the two Sarantium books; Tang Dynasty China in Under Heaven; Song Dynasty China and Mongols in River of Stars; and medieval Italy in Tigana. As vmdvr said, they're stand alone except the two Sarantium novels, and there's some loose connections between Under Heaven and River of Stars.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Habibi posted:

And by virtue if the reading they can also make themselves vulnerable and / or attract a whole lot of unwanted attention. It's sort of like looking into someone's bedroom window with a telescope, and seeing they've got one trained in yoy, too.

I like how the better someone gets with the deck, the more unwanted attention they attract, and how this makes them much more hesitant and careful about using it. Fits nicely with all the other convergence and power attracting power themes in the series.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Forge of Darkness stuff

So the Tiste were originally part of the world of the Malazan books but end up getting shifted into a warren by Mother Darks power kind of like the imperial warren? In Malazan they are treated as something alien to the world so this is a weird thing to wrap my mind around. Also should I know Draconus's son from the Malazon books or is he totally new? The section in the book about Burn's dream was probably one of my favorite parts of book because it finally made sense to me just why she was so important.

Also where does the K'Chain Che'Malle are from space thing come from? It is in the first post of the thread but I never got any hints of this in any of the books.

Draconus's son is new but there's speculation that he could be someone we've seen before in the main series. I think some people thought he could be that officer with the ice powers from the battle against the Short Tails at the end of Dust of Dreams. There were some other theories about him and the female Tiste that was with the Jaghut(I'm terrible at remembering the names of all these new characters) that I can't recall the details of right now, but if you look back in the thread around the date when FoD was originally released you'll be able to find some of them.

Loving Life Partner posted:

I loved Kindly and Corporal Sergeant Liuetenant Pores

Yeah, they were great, they were probably my favorite comic subplot that Erikson had going with the Marines.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ochowie posted:

So I just finished Forge of Darkness and overall I enjoyed it except for the last quarter or so of the book. It seemed to be full of PoV's for characters that I have no reason to care about. Between Rint, Rise Herat, and Haral I found myself skipping large chunks of the book to get to actual plot points. It seemed like TtH but the characters were less consequential so it became a bit of a slog towards the end.

There were too many character POVs for me too, and having them always start with the character philosophizing about something made it worse. It really screwed up the pacing of the book for me because it seemed like every time I would start really getting into the story and things would start picking up, there'd be another POV switch and things would slow right down again. I'd love for Erikson to write a book with a small amount of POVs.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Pokeylope posted:

On another note, why's everyone always so down on the philosophical aspects of the books? That's one of my favorite things about the series.

I don't mind the philosophical aspects in and of themselves, it just seems like in later books that there's a lot more of it and most new POVs introduced later in the series engage in lengthy internal monologues of it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Ryoji, you should check out the Malazan Reread of the Fallen at the Tor website. They read each book in the series a couple chapters at a time and discuss it in detail. It's a good resource for trying to get clarification in certain areas with a series this huge, and the way they have it set up makes it easier to avoid spoilers.

link:http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

I agree with this. It was explained away as 'and people think it is haunted so they don't go near it.' Dumb.

I am rereading OST now and if you skip the Kiska and Leoman parts the book flows much more smoothly. I don't hate it as much as I did the first time. The characters aren't written as well as Eriksons, but without Kiska and Leoman the book is much better. I didnt miss anything important by doing that either, did I?

All of ICE's books would hugely benefit from paring down the story-lines and focusing on a smaller cast than Erikson. It's sort of silly that he doesn't try something at least a little bit different in the setting.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Levitate posted:

Yeah that's basically why I was wondering that. He destroyed an entire warren apparently but I dont' recall we ever seeing him actually use magic

I thought he probably commanded some wizards to do that type of stuff for him or to set up the ritual that allowed him to do it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Chucullinn posted:

In terms of really sad/heartbreaking parts of the series, what book of the malazan series has had the most?

Deadhouse Gates would be up there, but Reapers Gale for me just had so many sad moments Toc sacrificing himself to save the awl children and Torrent, Onos Toolan arriving just too late to watch his friend die, EVERYTHING involving Beak and his backstory, Onrack arriving in the Tellann warren and coming back to life I mean Jesus, there was a lot of sad poo poo involved.

And that's not even all the heartbreaking stuff in that book, there's also Trull getting killed right when you think he's gonna have a reunion with Seren Pedac, Hedge's loneliness and alienation, the Finnest Girl, every other member of the Sengar family coming to a bad end, and there's probably more in that book that I can't remember right now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Danger posted:

I'm doing this on Audible since I have a long commute. Book 4 was just released. They've already done FoD, too!

How are the Audible narrators for the books that've been released so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheLordOfKraa posted:

I've just started reading / listening to this series and it is very quickly becoming my favorite series of books. I've just started buying the kindle books now instead of waiting for each successive audio-book to come out.

I would have a hard time with a series like this if I just tried listening to it from the beginning. It has such a huge cast and focus, as well as having a lot of weird things happening throughout it that not having the "dramatis personae" lists, glossary indexes and ability to easily reread passages(along with my tendency of not being able to focus as well listening as I do reading) would make it so much harder for me to follow the series. I do love using audiobooks instead of just doing a regular reread for series like this though.