Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I picked up Gardens of the Moon at the library yesterday, and got through the first chapter before I passed out last night (it was a long day). I like how it dumps you in the middle of a revolution(?). I assume that things will become clearer later, like why the blue woman assassinated the Emperor, and who the Claw are, etc. I am liking it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I think this book has grabbed me in a different way than most books. I don't really care about the characters that much up to this point. But I keep reading because maybe the next chapter will explain wtf is going on. Webs within plots within webs and plots.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I stayed up really late last night reading Gardens. I'm at the point in the story where Tattersail was just reborn in Kruppe's dreamworld(?). I am really loving what's going on. The T'lan Imass is pretty freakin' awesome. I love Hairlock's puppet, and really want to know what the deal is between him and Quick Ben. What is Quick Ben? I was laughing in the scene where Hairlock was setting the ravens on fire because my imagintation pictured this tiny wooden doll no more than a few inches long , jumping and skipping along throwing fireballs. He is completely insane.

Edit:Also, what is the point of the gods getting involved in mortal affairs? Is it a dick-waving contest between them? It's also mentioned that gods can be killed. How is one made into a god? Are the gods that exist now the person that killed the previous god? Is sorry possessed or was she somehow trained by Contillion in what seemed like a very short amount of time before she joined the 2nd as a recruit? What exactly is her purpose? Again I bet all my questions, or at least some of them, will be answered in time and later books.

pakman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2011

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished Gardens last night. Pretty cool ending, although I'm still not sure what exactly happened. Rake turns into a dragon to fight Tayschrenn's demon lord, high mages start dying to vocan, but Crokus throws a brick at her her when he sees her fighting Baruk. Rallick, Vocan, and Jahgut disappear into the tree-house-thing that was growing in Simtal's estate after Lorn planted the Finntal there? I'm guessing that we haven't seen the last of Hairlock. Also, at the very end, why does Crokus throw the coin into the lake? Does he not want to be used anymore nd is making Oponn choose another person?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I'm about 1/3 of the way through Deadhouse Gates. I really dislike Felisin. I'm a little confused as to what's going on, but I just got to the part where the headless men are rowing the ship in the warren. :wtc: :krad:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Kneecaps posted:

So I started the first book recently and I'm about halfway through. I believe Tattersail was just reborn inside Kruppe's dream with the help of creatures from 300,000 years ago. Just when I thought I was starting to get a handle on things...

My brain hurts.

Pretty much. I'm only 2/3 done with Deadhouse Gates at the moment, but there are some more :wtc: scenes that are awesome as hell as well.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished Deadhouse Gates this afternoon, and this book felt like it wrapped up things a little bit more than the last one.Coltaine was reborn, as will be Duiker I assume. I am a little confused as to why Kalam doesn't want to kill the Empress anymore as well as if we will see Apsalar and Crokus some more after they seemingly retired to the fishing village. I still hate Sha'ik (since she's not Felisin anymore. I liked learning about Mappo and Icarium, but I expect a lot more of them later. In short I'm looking forward to when I start the next book.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I've had to put Memories of Ice on the backburner because there's a couple books I wanted to read between Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice. Hopefully I'll get back to the series within the next couple weeks.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Turpitude posted:

Something like this happens in book 8 and it is just as amazing as you might imagine!

I can't wait to get to book 8, then. Still haven't started Memories of Ice because I got distracted with other books.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Levitate posted:

I haven't read it but I hear there's an entire section of the book devoted to faerie sex and it's pretty creepy

There is, and ohgod is it bad.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I've only read one book with Krupped in it (GotM), and I really liked him as a character. He plays the fool it seems but he's actually quite talented and knows what he's doing. I'm currently reading Memories of Ice and just read the part where Quick Ben talks to the witch in the city to ask why Burn is sleeping. Is Burn is the woman goddes from the prologue that helped to create the Imperial Warren out of the land that the guy in Brood's army destroyed. Correct? Did that make any sense?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I think you're confusing and mixing several different characters and events, or maybe I am. Either way, Burn is basically Mother Earth.

I wouldn't be surprised that I am. Now that I think about it, the woman from the prologue is now travelling with Toc and Tool and the two Goombas.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Masonity posted:

Still confusing characters. Toc and Tool are with Spite or Envy, one of Draconus's daughters anyway. The three gods in the prologue were K'rul, Draconus and "Sister of Cold Nights", who we've also met. Don't worry, Memories of Ice is, in part, about said woman. I can't remember if you are told, should have assumed by now or would simply be spoiled by more information, so I won't say anything more. If you're still confused at the end, just say. :)

It is a little confusing that there are so many Gods in this one. Last night I read the chapter where I think I am introduced to the plot for the entire series. Brood has a decision to make, Paran travels to the Finnist, and learns that he can travel to any of the cards in the Deck along with the Houses, Kruppe has joined the armies, etc. It was a kickass chapter and I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm about a little over a third of the way through Memories of Ice right now (I've been reading it slowly because I've been distracted by a renewed interest in Minecraft). loving undead raptors with blades for arms...amazing. I really would like to know what Envy and Krul are up to, as Toc just ran away with the crowd in the Pannion Domin at the ceremony for the kid of the Dead Seed (:barf:). I also liked learning a little more about Quick Ben and him containing the souls of eleven other people, and it was all part of a scheme to join Whiskeyjack. Last night I finished the part where the tomb of the Barghast was opened underneath the council chamber in Capustan. Enjoying this book a lot.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Lyer posted:

It's a common theme in all his books.

Well Rhaest is technically still around, though, at least I think he is . He made an appearance in Memories of Ice as did Ralick and the assassin guild master (I can't remember her name offhand). It happened when entered the house and entered the cards of the deck of dragons on the floor of the Azath house. Hopefully he comes up later. But I'm still in the process of reading Memories of Ice.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I love Memories of Ice. Quick Ben is such a badass, and Talamandas is cute :3:. I am really interested into what will happen with Gruntle and Paran, too. I just finished reading the part where Itkovian goes to the Barghast women: are they shouldermen? Does this mean that indirectly Itkovian and the Grey Swords are indirectly giving themselves to worship of Hood because of what Quick Ben figured out only moments earlier? I also don't understand that interaction earlier with Broach and Bauchelain. What exactly happened?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Keep reading, all will be made clear.

And which interaction are you referring to with KB&B? More than one character "interacts" with them, but I don't really recall Itkovian and co bumping into them off the top of my head.

I apologize I didn't make that clear. I meant the interaction between KB&B and Quick Ben just before Itkovian decides what he is going to do.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Yarrbossa posted:

You know, I'm actually not surprised by this. I loved Deadhouse Gates and will enjoy a sequel to that storyline as well.

In other thoughts, (MoI): I wonder who the human they mention is that is wrecking havoc on T'lan Imass down south. So many questions were answered in the last book, and now I have so many more. At least with Malazan I get some answers, whereas with Wheel of Time I'm going to have to wait until the last book to have poo poo answered.

I just finished MoI. What a great book. I cried at the Itkovian funeral as well as many other parts near the end, i.e. Whiskeyjack et al. Also, what exactly is Paran (probably answered later), but half hound of shadow, half man. Other questions as well: How did Tool become flesh again? Where did Duiker come from in the Epilogue? Who was that man outside the Azath House coughing in the epilogue? What is the significance of KB&B coming up the road to Coral?

Among other things: Gruntle is a badass, as is Toc. I really like Toc, and hope he comes into his own as Mortal Sword. Also interesting is that part where Paran blesses the dead Bridgeburners in Moon Spawn, and something starts to happen.

As to your question about the human in the south, Yarrbosa, could it be the Mortal Sword for the High House of Chains? Remember that Hood mentioned to Quick Ben a mortal sword had risen in a far away land, and perhaps had risen armies. Or, perhaps something to do with Kallor.

I can't wait until I start the next book, but I think I need a little break. Thinking about reading some more Sherlock Holmes stuff then continuing with the series.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Juaguocio posted:

You'll find out more about Paran later. Duiker's body was found by Baruk's servants at the end of DG, and since he used the vial that was meant for Coltaine, Baruk was able to resurrect him. I can't recall the answers to your other questions offhand.

Ah, yes, I recall that part now. Coltaine's spirit is still around, because the ravens came. That was an emotional moment as well, the sacrifice that the Wikans had made.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Abalieno posted:

Neither here nor there. That particular dialogue is one that doesn't link well. But MoI is ALL a mess, and there's a sequence of MoI that deeply interlinks with DG. And that part of DG won't make sense till you read what happens on MoI side.

There's also another sequence of DG that makes no sense till you see how it interlinks with HoC.

What sequence in MoI links up with that DG part? I just finished MoI, but I guess I'm just not a critical enough reader to notice things like this. Also I avoid looking things up for fear of being spoiled. :(

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Yarrbossa posted:

Seconding this. I knew that SOMETHING was being related, but haven't developed my ability to pick that stuff out. I would be interested in hearing it.

EDIT: Is it when Fener gets ripped down to the moral realm? Because I remember being "wtf just happened" in DG, and when I read about it happening in MoI with all the Fener and Treach stuff, It all became a lot more clear.

Now that I think about it, yes, that could be it because the former priest that had his hands cut off mentioned it. And also in MoI there was a follower of Fener that had his hands cut off as well.

Also, a House of Chains spoiler:I knew I had seen someone with a wooden sword mentioned before somewhere, but I was having the damndest time trying to remember. Then I figured out that it was in Deadhouse Gate and the Toblokai which sounded a lot like Teblor. He and another guy were guarding the body of Sha'ik and then accompanied Felisin. I was wondering what the hell is this character and why is this other guy, who is somehow related to Rallick Nom (because of the surname), talking about the siege of Pale? That is so three books ago. Then I figured out that this was somehow a prequel/backstory/I dunno leading up to something that might happen later.

And that's my half-nickel on the first few chapters of House of Chains.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Guess I'm just bad at reading. :(

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Abalieno posted:

Just because he doesn't have Mancy the Luckless adaptability. ;)

MoI clarifies some what goes on in DG prologue with the Fener priest "not being there", message that is sent specifically to Heboric by Hood (Felisin thinks the message is for her, but she's wrong). Why Hood has any interest in Heboric? Because Heboric isn't some random priest, Heboric is Fener's DESTRIANT (as is revealed in MoI, if you pay attention. Go reread that excerpt at the beginning of book 3/Chapter 14 in MoI). Hood knew what was going to happen because in MoI it is revealed that Hood is plotting with K'rul. and K'rul is also manipulating everything (see the whole deal with Toc). Fener is brought down on the mortal realm NOT because of what you see on DG side. But because on MoI side the corrupt priest of Rath'Fener weakens the god. There's a lot going on there, with the "hands" going to poison the warren or somesuch, along with the intervention of the "alien" god, who's obviously the Crippled God.

I know that Hood and K'rul were up to something and that K'rul has been manipulating things for a bit, but did they come up with the way to depose Fener and install Treach in his place, then? Who exactly corrupted Rath'Fener, or was that his own doing with wanting political power instead of respecting his god?

I also don't remember exactly why Heboric's hands were removed, but I remember there being an explanation somewhere in both DG and MoI, and not sure how exactly they are used to poison the realm. Quick Ben also seems to know the score and what's going on simply because of his partnership with the Talamandas and the Barghast gods. He knows that he travels the blood and veins of K'Rul when he uses warrens, as you learn when Envy is talking to k'Rul in Capustan. But now I'm wondering as to why Toc had to go to the Mother to get the wolf god to burst through.

Now I'm thinking that I should stop reading HoC, and go reread the first three to see if I can get a better understanding of these things. I just like the story too much to stop. :gonk:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Just finished the first book and really enjoyed it. Story wasn't predictable or garbage even if it was incredibly hard to follow exactly what was going on at some points.

I do like how the scenes interact with each other and felt the writing it self was pretty solid. I am anxious to start the new book but also hesitant because I really liked this set of characters.

The second book is even better than the first and the third is better than that. I highly suggest you read it :) I'm currently on the fourth book, House of Chains.

Regarding Hoc holy crap Crokus is an assassin now instead of just a thief, and is on a mission for Cotillion.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just realized as I was reading earlier today, that the books I have read are pretty much devoid of all those long, arduous descriptions of feasts and the food. At last in the first four books. Granted, the only other fantasy series I have read are ASOIAF, LoTR, and Sword of Truth (I think).

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

There's food, yes, but not the full fledged feasts with 9 courses that you get to hear about in Gurm's books with pidgeon pies and lemoncakes or the meals and accompanying music/songs in LoTR.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Last night while I should have been sleeping, I was reading a couple chapters in House of Chains, and drat, what a confluence of events in just those two chapters.

Not sure where to start, so I'll just go by what I remember. First of al the fight at the Throne of Shadows where Cotillion shows up. I guess we know how he got the name The Rope now. What I don't understand is the man that was with the Malazans in the cave now taking over the defense of the Throne. I don't think his actual name was given just that he was called Traveler. I also don't understand what happened with the Hound of Shadow that Cutter (Crokus) called on to help. Instead it just sat there until Cotillion showed up? Did the Tiste Edur say something to keep the Hound from attacking because they know how to control it? Cool battle scene, anyway.

I also remember Onrack binding(?) himself to Trull during the ritual with the Tiste Liosan that were trying to open the warren of Kurald Thyrall. And then the other Imass there that were hunting Onrack stepped inside the gate to kill the false god, who happens to be the familiar of L'oric in the Whirlwind who also happens to be Tiste Edur. So with 3 of the Imass in the warren of fire, the 4th was pursuing Onrack and Trull in his gorilla Soletaken form. Did the boncaster not enjoy Onrack binding himself to Trull? Again, not exactly sure what happened at that part.

Ghost Hands becomes the Destraint of Treach while on a bad trip of Hen'bara tea. So the Jade figures have something to do with the House of Chains and the Otataral is there to keep it in place, and where ever there is otataral in the world, there will be a jade figure nearby? The otataral being there for a purpose was described earlier. So there may be another jade figure near the Teblor homelands since that is what bloodoil was made with.

In the same vein we have L'oric. I am not sure of his motivations. Was he the guardian of that warren and pretending to be a god? Or was he trying to keep the Crippled God from infesting the warren with poison and the Imass ruined that so he sought help from the Queen of Dreams? After L'oric wakes up from the trance, he senses young Felisin nearby who had been violated by Bidithal, and Felisin is now going to be "working" for Karsa's gods for revenge.

Lastly we have Kalam who killed a demon trapped since the time of the T'lan Imass. There was a blurb after that fight about a chained Toblokai of pure blood under where the demon was that used to be possessed. And then Iskaral Pust comes out of nowhere and finds Kalam. I like Pust.

There was a lot packed into those two chapters.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Masonity posted:

I might have forgot some things, but...

The Rope is Cotillion's title, just as Ammanas has the title "Shadowthrone".

Traveller's name will be revealed later. It'd be a major spoiler, so I won't spoil it.

The Edur were the original masters of Shadow, and the hound recognised it's rightful masters.

The Otataral is suppressing the Jade Statues, which are linked to the Crippled God. Otataral itself isn't related to the Jade though. It's simply something that happens when a huge magical discharge happens. Just as heat and pressure can morph rocks, huge amounts of magic can. It then creates what can best be described as anti-magic. The eldest magics don't seem to be affected though, suggesting newer magics perhaps "draw" magic from their surroundings, and drawing too much can cause a physical scar that hampers said drawing? That's more my theory than anything though.

And yeah, Pust is awesome. He's definitely a LOT more than he seems.

I completely forgot to mention the Otataral Dragon(!) that was cruicified in the Imperial Warren (?) that Pearl and Lostara are/were in. I remembered that between the time I posted and the time I arrived at work a couple minutes ago. Which got me thinking about the deck of dragons. Since all dragons are aspected, each card would have a dragon associated with it in some form? Are dragons actually important to the Deck?

A lot of interesting things were brought up, and I can't wait to continue reading after class tonight.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

HoC:

So the Teblor gods are T'lan Imass. And they make their weapons from flint found in Jhad Ohdan? The Jhagut homeland? Why aren't the Teblor gods part of the ritual. Karsa says they are unbound, or does that only mean to the Cripppled God now that Karsa is the Knight of Chains. I am very confused. Also, how/why did that simple interaction with Mappo and Icarium warned of by the D'iver wolves destroy the world. Is it because Icarium broke Karsa's bloodsword and now he's going to be making a new one? Is it because he release the Jhagut he found withing the Tellan warren? I would have expected something more "significant" to come from that simple section in that chapter.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

I think most of this gets answered later. They were part of the ritual, they were undead/immortal, but T'lan Imass who get beat up too much, too broken, get severed from their Vow to war against the jaghut. That's how they are "unbound."

There was no world destroying when Karsa and Icarium met because they both ended up unconscious. But there could've been if Mappo didn't intercede. When Icarium enters a mindless rage stuff gets broken, like cities and continents.

I guess I just didn't put two and two together then. I knew about the "looking out to etenity" when they get too destroyed. I forget where it was mentioned, though, possibly even Onrack, but it may have been before that in MoI somewhere. I guess, then, that the Teblor gods were laid to rest in the lands of the Teblor and conspired to make themselves gods to the people that inhabited that area.

Karsa also undid all the work that the Logros T'lan Imass did to the Jhagut in the Omtose Phellack (i think) warren. I know he travelled through Telann, but the Jhagut female he released said something about Omtose.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm a little confused as to what I read last night. Kellanved somehow found the First Throne and became the king of the T'lan Imass. Then he and Dancer fake their deaths and install Surly onto the throne of the Malazan Empire. They live in the Azath House, and I think Onrack mentions it, but then maybe they had contact with the Nameless Ones. And if the Nameless ones got the T'lan Imass First Throne, then all the T'lan Imass would be wiped out. But at the same time, the Edur are trying to find the First Throne and seat their own mortal's scrawny arse on it. Kellanved, however, is still the "emperor" of the Imass as well as sitting on the fake throne of Shadow while the real throne of Shadow is being guarded by "Traveller." Crokus and Apsalar conjecture that putting Surly/Laseen on the Malazan throne was a play by Kellanved so that he could try and consolidate power within the warren of Shadaow, as well as even trying to gain other thrones in other warrens, thus becoming all powerful.

Onrack also mentions to the Imass that are pursuing him and Trull about the renegade Imass that were the Teblor gods, seeking the First Throne in the name of the Chained God. Things would certainly turn dire if the Chained God had the power to command the Imass. Not only did he say that, but when the Bonecaster asks Onrack where the rest of the body is that he used to repair himself, Onrack says that he didn't know, but the renegade had been cut in half by a single strike. Why is cutting a T'lan Imass in half with a single strike significant?

I'm still not quite sure what Karsa's role in all of this is, either. The renegade Imass/Teblor gods call him the Knight of Chains, but he says he isn't. He has a flint sword like the Imass now. And it was mentioned in an earlier chapter that his kind used to be the minders for Icarium.

This is all very confusing right now.

If that made any sense, am I correct in unravelling what was said?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm sorry :( Didn't mean to start an argument, just trying to get a little clarity on what exactly happened.

Right now I'm at the part where the Whirlwind Goddess (another Imass spirit) has just withdrawn from Tavore when Tavore was going to stick her sword in the wall :hurr:

That's also the chapter where FiddlStrings finds out Kalam is inside the Whirlwind. And there was a little passage with Kalam and the spiritwalker song that I didn't pick up on. I'll go back and reread it after work.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just finished House of Chains.

It was good, although the ending wasn't nearly as epic this time around. I feel that this book was more of a set up book with the things that were revealed and the issues that were raised.

I really did like the assassinations in the camp at the end that was a good sequence with Kalam and Quick Ben. Karsa is also a badass, but his character still seems pretty single-minded, although that has changed a lot since the beginning of the book. I also deduced that the Whirlwind Goddess was the wife of Onrack (i think), when she was talking about how her husband hadn't been loyal, it was an odd sequence, and then Felesin unceremoniously died. Who exactly killed the Whirlwind Goddess? L'oric was there and Osric came to save him, again, another very odd series of events.

I am looking forward to hearing the tale of Trull. And Onrack seems to be the most human T'lan Imass that's been in the series thus far.

Overall it was a good book and I enjoyed it, but the ending was very odd, and there didn't seem to be any release of the tension that was building up to the final fight that never happened.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Can someone explain what a full unveiling is? I've just started Midnight Tides a few days ago and it was mentioned that the seal killers were going to be subject to a full unveiling from the Edur High Warlock. Also, we saw the full unveiling of High House Dark in MoI near the end. Does it basically exhaust the power of a warren in a single, huge, nuclear strike type use?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Midnight Tides:

So what is the general consensus on this book? I just can't seem to get into it like I did the others. I simply have no interest in Trull Sengar's side of the story, and it's incredibly dull for me, sure I'll probably get to see how he came to be shorn, but it's just not grabbing me. However, I really like Tehol and Bugg. Their banter is amusing, and Bugg is some kind of wizard or something, but I'm not sure what.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Stew Man Chew posted:

How far into it are you pakman? There's a couple of events that crank it up a notch. Stick with it, I thought the same thing initially but I was fistpumping along by the end of it.

Last night I just finished reading the part where Tehol arranges a contract with the rat-catcher guild, and where Brys was talked the Ceda about visiting the Azath and the being that showed the bringing down of a god (I am going to assume it was the Crippled God.) Rhulad became the emperor of the Edur in the previous chapter. The exact location is the first chapter in Book Three.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Midnight Tides:

Last night at about 3am I finished the book because I couldn't sleep, not because I couldn't stop reading. I just don't see how this one was enjoyable apart from the confluence of events that took place at the end.

I knew Bugg was something, but I was surprised to find out that he was Mael, and it's nice that he went to go beat the crap out of the Crippled God there in the epilogue. I also wish I had seen more of the Ceda, he was a minor character, but he trapped the huge demon that Hannang had summoned underneath the lake....with the help of a Jaghut, and Bugg. The Errant seems to be the god of subtlety or somehow nudging people in the direction that he wants them to take (like he might've done with Fear and Trull when they ended up at Seren Pedac's House). Also, is traveller (the one guarding the real Throne of Shadow) Scabandari Bloodeye? My guess is yes.

I was also disappointed that I didn't get to see how Hannang and Rhulad flooded the realm, and how Trull became Shorn, I thought that would certainly happen in this book, but now that it didn't, I'm going to assume it comes later with him trying to bring Rhulad back from insanity.

I'll probably start the 6th book later this week some time.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

Concerning Traveller, no. He is not that guy. He's this other guy. What guy you ask? A human guy. Maybe you could guess. He's someone you've heard of by then. Re-reading it may yield clues but I'd avoid looking for spoilers anywhere as you'd probably get too many.

It's been awhile but they dont say who he is explicitly until Ian. C. Esselmont's Return of the Crimson Guard.

The only other one I can think of is either Iron Bars or Corlo.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I always miss the small things. :( Guess I'm not a critical enough reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Hondo82 posted:

There are tons of small things in this series that can be missed but can be really cool when you catch them, I'm looking forward to when I re-read the series and see what else I pick up. Since you finished Midnight Tides, remember when Bugg near the end comes upon the group of Tiste Edur, and one is beating Tehol bloody? The one Bugg snaps his fingers at to send to Bugg's realm? That's the dead Tiste Edur the malazans find in Memories of Ice before the fight at Coral, the one that looks like it was crushed to death by a great pressure.

I like the little stuff like that, peppered throughout the series, and that one is over 2 books!

See, that's another thing I didn't pick up. If that corpse was in Bugg's realm, though, how in the hell did the body end up outside of Coral? Did it just wash ashore, or was in place there with a purpose?

There was a blog linked several pages back where two people were re-reading the series and writing down their thoughts about it. I was tempted to read it because of things like this, but it's got whole-series spoilers in it.