Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Having finished Deadhouse Gates (the second book) about a week ago, I know exactly what you mean. At the beginning I was kinda lost with the new characters and didn't really care about some of the ones which had been introduced, but as poo poo begins happening and you start to see how the threads interact with each other it gets increasingly difficult to put the book down. Stick with it because it really pays off.

I feel the same way about most of the books, especially Midnight Tides. The beginning is slow, but sets everything up and refers back to plot threads in the previous books (and also sets stuff up for the following ones), then it builds up until you just can't stop reading. It really depends on how much time you're willing to put, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Was Silverfox running away with all Imass just a dues ex machina to make the last fight seem more balanced?

Hmm, weren't they running off to Assail to fight the really nasty bastards that rule the place?

If so, pretty sure ICE will visit that particular plot line too.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

I'm sure it means that the land should change and be varied just like the people and cultures that live on it. It makes sense, especially coming from him, since he was an anthropologist and an archaeologist.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

I'm pretty sure Esslemont is going to write the Assail stuff.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

As for some of your other questions, Paran knows Tavore is the Adjunct. As for Felisin, he knows about what happened there too, though Tavore doesn't.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Masan that got sent.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

I just got up to the part where he talks about Karsa Orlong and the idea of the noble savage, which I believe was addressed in this thread a while back.

quote:

Sorry to go on like this, but one of the tropes of fantasy that annoyed us was the noble barbarian, and without question we addressed it in what we believed was a more realistic, less romanticized fashion, in the Malazan universe. The first quarter of House of Chains, my fourth novel, evokes my take on the whole subject of the barbarian, and in so doing plays against the noble savage cliche, and cultural and moral relativism.

Having said that, resistance against civilization is not in itself a bad thing, and the character Karsa Orlong (a ‘barbarian’) evokes this argument throughout the series (and will get his own trilogy in a few years, since I’m not yet done with that debate).

Yeah, I think he's confirming what we already knew.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Yarrbossa posted:

I'm about 60% through HoC, and I just have to come here and say that I didn't like Karsa at first. He was such a crappy character in terms of personality and was boring as hell (also a terrible person after raping the women in the village especially). Now that I'm over halfway through this book though, when I think of Karsa all I can say is URUGAL...WITNESS!!":black101:

Dude's a total badass already, I can see why everyone likes him. I'm so glad that he's grown into a character that's much better than initially presented.

:black101:

Pretty much the same way I felt when reading that for the first time. And man, you're in for a total treat when you reach near the end. Karsa hands out one of the most fitting punishments ever to one of the characters there.

You'll know it when you read it.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

I haven't read any ICE Malazan books in a while. Last one I read was Return of the Crimson Guard and I'm about to pick up Stonewielder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Raygereio posted:

From I gather "demon" is a catchall term describing the various beings not from Wu. Some can have whole societies, some may be little more then animals. But as long as it's from elsewhere: it's a demon.
So I suppose in theory the Andii are also demons. They just turned native.

The vague part is Aral Gamelon. It's been described as a demon-warren, close to Hood's warren. As simply the art of summoning demons. And as a whole world, more then just a warren.

I'd agree with this. The demons seen in the series are generally beings from other warrens. It's sort of like how we refer to things from other planets as aliens, to be a bit more sci-fi about it.