Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
I'm in the same boat when it comes to VA disability. I filed my claim in March of 2010, 4 months before getting my DD-214. Turns out the VFW rep I filed through didn't turn it in (woops!) and I had the luxury of filling out another application for disability in August 2010 (I was so pissed I waited a month to refile). Here I am, late October 2011, still in Development Phase. I e-mailed my Congress Rep two weeks ago about a Congressional Inquiry and I haven't heard poo poo from them either.

gently caress this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

t_bright posted:

No, sorry, that's a goddamn lie. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FILE BDD. The average wait time for the development phase in the salt lake city office is at least 330 days. Mine is nearing 400 days.

You shouldn't give advice because your poo poo's all hosed up because you hosed up and got an OTH. Your situation is unique and not a standard.

FOR ALL THE ACTIVE DUTY PEOPLE READING THIS THAT WONT BE GETTING OUT WITH AN OTH, UTILIZE BDD within 60-180 DAYS OF ETSing.

It's the FASTEST possible way to get paid besides being in the PEB/DES system.

This "normal" filing is wrong. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER loving FILE AFTER YOU GET OUT if you can help it. You can file your poo poo and have all your examinations done BEFORE YOU EVEN GET OUT.

Now if you have less than sixty drat days left, use the QUICK START program. You can file QUICK START YOUR LAST loving DAY IN THE MILITARY AND YOUR CASE IS PROCESSED BEFORE THE "NORMAL" CASES.

I'm truly sorry poo poo's not going your way but don't put out bad info. Telling people not to file while stile active duty is the biggest mistake I've seen in this thread and all the vet threads in GIP.

One piece of advice for any active duty reading this. If you think you can get your doctor to put in a PEB for anyone of your conditions, DO IT. If found unfit for duty your entitlements can be a little bit more than a VA compensation check. For example medical severance, retirement, base access, commissary privileges etc. Most importantly, you start getting paid within a month of discharge.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

kys posted:

I'm in the same boat when it comes to VA disability. I filed my claim in March of 2010, 4 months before getting my DD-214. Turns out the VFW rep I filed through didn't turn it in (woops!) and I had the luxury of filling out another application for disability in August 2010 (I was so pissed I waited a month to refile). Here I am, late October 2011, still in Development Phase. I e-mailed my Congress Rep two weeks ago about a Congressional Inquiry and I haven't heard poo poo from them either.

gently caress this

Did you file specifically under BDD or Quick Start? It makes all the difference in filing.

Also, all the VSOs are awesome and I appreciate what they do but the absolute hands down best for dealing with VA Disability Compensation is DAV.

And my experience with VA healthcare has been extremely positive. The wait times can be a little long at times but that's about it. Obviously there are lovely parts about it, I know but they're there to help you.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
This goes without saying, "Follow the gently caress through." My mistake was not calling to check up on my claim for 3 months, and I got boned pretty hard. You're right about the Quicksmart stuff, I've had fellow veterans who had their claims processed withing 2 months of getting out. Processed and paid.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Edit:
Thanks.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 14, 2012

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
Seconding the file before you get out thing. Filing to cash in my bank only took 3 months for me, highly recommended it.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

front wing flexing posted:

One piece of advice for any active duty reading this. If you think you can get your doctor to put in a PEB for anyone of your conditions, DO IT. If found unfit for duty your entitlements can be a little bit more than a VA compensation check. For example medical severance, retirement, base access, commissary privileges etc. Most importantly, you start getting paid within a month of discharge.

I think this should definitely depend upon the circumstances of the individual service member. If you are able to retire for time served, do it the normal way rather than through the PEB process. By retiring based on length of service, an individual is able to capitalize on combat related special compensation (CRSC/CRDP) and receive both their full compensation and a good portion, if not all, of their retired pay.

Some differences to remember for those who are put out on PEBs though, VA compensation is non taxable, military retirement is. Under the law, a veteran may receive up to the maximum amount of either their retired pay or their compensation, whichever is greater. In order to receive compensation, a veteran must waive a portion of their retired pay to do so. Thus, if a veteran is placed on the temporary disabled retired list (TDRL) and receives 600.00 a month in retirement and is then evaluated as 30% disabled by VA and receives 300.00 a month in compensation, then they must waive 300.00 of their retirement pay. This means that each month the veteran would received 300.00 in non-taxable compensation and 300.00 in taxable retirement pay.

It's a different story if the PEB comes back to recommend separation with separation pay. Under federal law, a veteran is not able to be doubly compensated for disabilities for which they were paid separation pay and disabilities subject to compensation. Thus if a veteran receives 10000.00 in severance pay for say their right knee and VA evaluates that knee as 10% disabling, then VA is required to withhold the amount payable for the right knee until all severance pay is recouped. But note that this is only for the right knee. Other disabilities for which no severance pay is made are not subject to being recouped.

That's the monetary aspect of the MEB/PEB process; there are also the time issues to look at. In some instances, the process may take months, or more than a year, to complete. Thus if you're looking to just get out and go, one will have to weigh the benefits of potential future payments with the costs of potentially being kept in service under medical hold. The delays can sometimes also mean that a service member may fall out of the time window to participate in BDD as their actual discharge date may not be readily discernable.

One other thing to consider with the interplay between VA and DOD PEB systems is that the DOD's determination of disability is in no way binding on VA which will make their own independent evaluation. Often times the military will use an entirely different schedule when determining disability evaluations, resulting in a wide disparity between the two agencies. For example, I was retired on a medical board from the Navy. The initial evaluation from the PEB assigned an 80% evaluation. Upon discharge, VA assigned a 30% evaluation.

In summation, a PEB is not a one size fits all kind of process. While it definitely has some benefits for many individual service members, its use should be determined on your individual needs. Not to discourage or encourage anyone in either direction, just remember that whatever choice you make regarding your benefits affects your future in many ways. My recommendation is to just go into it with as much information as you can.

cult_hero fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 29, 2011

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Other than wanting to get out sooner there is no draw back to going the PEB route. And yes the DoD findings are in no way binding for the VA but the VA findings are 99.99% more favorable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I went the in service route, didn't know it was called BDD. Just hit the VFW up on post and discussed getting representation since my back was hosed. Got out November 20th, got my first disability check on December 1st. So yes, it works well.

I'm going to have to appeal in short order, as my back is completely hosed. I can only bend about 20 degrees forward/10 back now without lifting a foot and holding myself up with a stick or piece of furniture. I've got ER records, my MRI done, a couple of visits with a pharmacologist and a few PCPs, now I'm just waiting on my neurosurgery consult and physical therapy consult. I plan on using DAV.

Can anyone think of much else I should have done before filing? The average time with DAV representation?

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You shouldn't give advice because your poo poo's all hosed up because

Yea, you're probably right about that, I just got pissed

t_bright fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 29, 2011

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

t_bright posted:

Yea, you're probably right about that, I just got pissed

I'm really sorry your struggling to get benefits. No veteran should be completely without benefits for for an oth. It's not like it's a bcd.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's cool. I just got hurt really bad while I was in, and it's difficult. I have an honorable discharge too, because I re-enlisted.

But the fact that I can't do poo poo until they give me my disability is really hindering me.

Hopefully I'll get this poo poo right on the holidays, and I can get some sweet gifts for the fam.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
t_bright: were you AD or guard (1/124th or 152nd or whatever it is now?) Also what was your history?

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Diplomaticus posted:

t_bright: were you AD or guard (1/124th or 152nd or whatever it is now?) Also what was your history?

Nah,I was AD Marine.

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
Anybody familiar with the Army College Fund, specifically how a lot of people seem to be getting dicked out of it? More details at this link:

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?1563052-Army-College-Fund&s=d038f55a917e8af2d93e1971f6c0eedf

I am about to ETS and I should receive the ACF, but I grow more and more concerned the more I find out about it. I have a friend who is getting out and she is in the same situation as me. The VA is asking for her 3286-66 which is in neither her OMPF or her initial enlistment. I have yet to receive that request from the VA, but I do not have a copy of my 3286-66 either.

Jesus H Nyce fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 31, 2011

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jesus H Nyce posted:

Anybody familiar with the Army College Fund, specifically how a lot of people seem to be getting dicked out of it? More details at this link:

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?1563052-Army-College-Fund&s=d038f55a917e8af2d93e1971f6c0eedf

I am about to ETS and I should receive the ACF, but I grow more and more concerned the more I find out about it. I have a friend who is getting out and she is in the same situation as me. The VA is asking for her 3286-66 which is in neither her OMPF or her initial enlistment. I have yet to receive that request from the VA, but I do not have a copy of my 3286-66 either.

Didn't read the link because I'm about to trick or treat but just real quick:

I opted for the Navy College Fund for my enlistment bonus. It was for 50k. When I got out and started preparing the GI Bill, I asked around and was told to get my enlistment contract out and prepare for a hassle. So I got prepared for an ordeal but it was taken care of in the first five minutes of phone calls. I called my service HQ and told them I was out and wanted to collect on my NCF. I didn't even have to fax or fill anything out, the dude just looked me up and sent some info of to VA and it was done. Bam, five minutes.

It works out to about $420 for me per month paid out in full for the semester at or near the start of the semester. Obviously it's not going to be 50k but I guess the fine print of the service college funds basically means you'll get a total of 50k for all entitlements.

It's misleading but still a great deal.

Spechel EDD
Jul 22, 2003

DaNk NuGZ
I know that while active duty Marine Corps that I am entitled to one free elective surgery but will I be able to have that carry over after I leave? I'm on a medboard currently and cant do anything or my package will be sent back to me.

I would like to get PRK done and have already had my command approve it and send the paperwork up for it but I still wont be able to have it done. If I get out will I be able to get it from the VA or from a Naval Hospital if I get put on a list?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I would also like to know this. If nobody knows I can ask on November 9th.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That would be awesome if it carried over from AD, but I doubt it does.

My fat rear end wouldn't mind a free slice of lipo so I can drop some weight off my hosed up back/hip. I get a lot of walking in, but when you can only bend 20 degrees and walk with a stick, you're pretty goddamn limited. Can't even do a loving set of crunches anymore.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spongebob Tampax posted:

That would be awesome if it carried over from AD, but I doubt it does.

My fat rear end wouldn't mind a free slice of lipo so I can drop some weight off my hosed up back/hip. I get a lot of walking in, but when you can only bend 20 degrees and walk with a stick, you're pretty goddamn limited. Can't even do a loving set of crunches anymore.

What I hate the most is barging in to class when the teacher is just starting his lesson because I'm late again. Goddamn, I hate not being able to walk briskly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can still swing a pretty good pace on days that aren't hosed up climatically, but winter setting in is beginning to ruin me. However, my left leg is taking the impact and the knee is now swelling and popping. Yay.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Results of a survey about our benefits, etc...

http://www.disabledveterans.org/guides/hold-them-accountable-veterans-survey/

The results should be obvious.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone know how long after your DOS you got your last paycheck?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

TLG James posted:

Days usually.

Edit: for Navy at least.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

TLG James posted:

My EAOS was 11/15, I got my first of the month paycheck like normal, I got my final pay yesterday morning.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My EAOS was 11/15, I got my first of the month paycheck like normal, I got my final pay yesterday morning.

Mine was the 9th. Did they mail the final check?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

TLG James posted:

Mine was the 9th. Did they mail the final check?

No, direct deposit, just not on the LES like normal. A buddy of mine EAOS'd the same day and he still hasn't gotten his.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

Dantu posted:

Okay, so you applied for compensation and a few months later you get a letter from the local regional office telling you that you have been denied for service connection. Now what?

Hmm.

During my ETS process in November of last year, I slapped a quick-claim on top of a copy of my medical record and gave it to the Ft. Benning VA representative to get a claim going. About 11 months ago, I got a letter from the VA in Atlanta (though I live in Alabama... perhaps because I cleared from Benning?) saying I was Priority Group 6, which sounded an awful lot like I was being rated at 0%. However, my claim on My eBenefits says it's still in the Development Phase (very long story cut short: the Winston-Salem regional office is a giant nutsack and I'm currently seeking DAV help on this one). Do I need to get my rear in gear and file an appeal for the paperwork's sake?

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tacotuesday posted:

Hmm.

During my ETS process in November of last year, I slapped a quick-claim on top of a copy of my medical record and gave it to the Ft. Benning VA representative to get a claim going. About 11 months ago, I got a letter from the VA in Atlanta (though I live in Alabama... perhaps because I cleared from Benning?) saying I was Priority Group 6, which sounded an awful lot like I was being rated at 0%. However, my claim on My eBenefits says it's still in the Development Phase (very long story cut short: the Winston-Salem regional office is a giant nutsack and I'm currently seeking DAV help on this one). Do I need to get my rear in gear and file an appeal for the paperwork's sake?

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean that you waited for 11 months before you got a letter in the mail? Or that you got a letter in the mail 11 months ago?

All VA regional offices are a giant nutsack. You will learn this.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone know if tinnitus without hearing loss is an actual compensation(able?) thing?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TLG James posted:

Does anyone know if tinnitus without hearing loss is an actual compensation(able?) thing?

Man I hope so. Mine's getting really annoying.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

McNally posted:

Man I hope so. Mine's getting really annoying.

Yea I've done hearing tests and I still pass but very very barely but I have to sleep with a fan on in my room or it is unbearable.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Tinnitus without hearing loss is standard of 10%. Almost nobody gets denied for it and you don't have to have a prior history of it as long as you file with the VA before getting out. If you're already out then you would have to have something in your medical record.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

tacotuesday posted:

Hmm.

Did you file to get enrolled at the VA hospital? When I did I got a letter from the hospital saying that I was group 6 which is just OIF/OEF people. It means that the hospital will actually treat you for stuff. To get in a higher group you would have to have been a POW, or have a purple heart, or be 50% disabled, or 100% disabled. That isn't a complete list, simply an example of some of the requirements for higher groups. I think the groups simply prioritizes you for appointments.

I also got that letter and enrolled in the hospital long before I got my claim finished.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

t_bright posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean that you waited for 11 months before you got a letter in the mail? Or that you got a letter in the mail 11 months ago?

My mistake. I filed in November of 2010; the letter came in January 2011.

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Did you file to get enrolled at the VA hospital? When I did I got a letter from the hospital saying that I was group 6 which is just OIF/OEF people. It means that the hospital will actually treat you for stuff. To get in a higher group you would have to have been a POW, or have a purple heart, or be 50% disabled, or 100% disabled. That isn't a complete list, simply an example of some of the requirements for higher groups. I think the groups simply prioritizes you for appointments.

I also got that letter and enrolled in the hospital long before I got my claim finished.

Yes, and I've been treated by the mental health and TBI clinics at the closest VA hospital. It was a bit of a punch to the face to hear from the state VA advocate that the continued treatment at those individual clinics within the VA hospital meant absolutely nothing in terms of rating; when I asked how much weight would be given to my (well-documented, 1.5" thick) service medical history, he seemed to feel it was a question not worthy of response.

Here's a question for curiosity's sake: do you fine fellow travelers often find that you're the youngest patients in the waiting room when you visit the VA hospitals? The Tuskegee hospital is full-the-f*ck-up with people who look like they fought The Huns.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Tinnitus without hearing loss is standard of 10%. Almost nobody gets denied for it and you don't have to have a prior history of it as long as you file with the VA before getting out. If you're already out then you would have to have something in your medical record.

Quoted for truth. Even if you file after you get out, you are likely to get it without having prior records. Reason is, tinnitus is hard to scientifically prove one way or another, similar to PTSD. The VA is looking to avoid lawsuits and the such.

I stated mine was varied in intensity and time intervals, but was most noticeable in quiet environments such as sleeping, reading, etc. I also was asked about being exposed to blasts, suicide bombers, IEDs. Of course, it also depends on the audiologist's recommendation and the VA Rater that your packet gets thrown upon as well.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm unclear about what kind of VA healthcare I'm entitled to when I separate. I don't have any kind of disabilities, but I am a veteran of OEF, meaning I get placed in priority category 6. What does this mean? What kind of services can I get from the VA, with what co-pays?

I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge if I need to start researching health insurance, or if this 'priority category 6' is going to provide me with decent care while I'm in school.

HeadspaceNTiming
Mar 11, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

I'm unclear about what kind of VA healthcare I'm entitled to when I separate. I don't have any kind of disabilities, but I am a veteran of OEF, meaning I get placed in priority category 6. What does this mean? What kind of services can I get from the VA, with what co-pays?

I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge if I need to start researching health insurance, or if this 'priority category 6' is going to provide me with decent care while I'm in school.

Roving Reporter had some spot on information for this on the previous page. As Cat 6, you get free health care for five years on anything service connected. So during your intake, make sure that you tell them about everything that could even remotely be service connected. Co-pays, from what I understand, are tricky. There's no one formula that says if you make x dollars a year that you pay y% of the co-pay.

This has some pretty good info in it, too.

Honestly, if you're someone who doesn't get sick a lot, I wouldn't bother with extra health insurance except for maybe something with decent dental after a year. Until five years are up or they bump you up a few category's, that is.

After five years, you can shift on over to cat 7 or 8, if eligible, but from what I've heard from other vets, it's really not worth your time and money at that point.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone else catch wind (see the class action lawsuit commercials) about the VA issuing drugs for 'off-label' reasoning?

I'm starting to get a bit curious about it since the fuckers have put me on neurontin twice with terrible side effects (half my face going numb, extreme light sensitivity, etc) and now depakote for nerve pain (it's really for seizures), and a goddamn anti-depressant, amitryptiline, for nerve pain also (though I'm not so goddamn depressed anymore). I stopped taking all of them a few weeks back and feel better without the poo poo, but only heard about this yesterday. Whose rear end do I need to shove a boot up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I figured I'd chime in with my wonderful experience.

I filed in 1997 when I got out.

Since then, I've been submitting paperwork, going to this board or that board or having them call me and go "Oops, we lost your paperwork" until last June.

That's when they FINALLY came through.

14 years of backpay. Enough to literally buy a house, appliances, furniture, and a car.

Keep on them. Even if it seems like it isn't going anywhere, keep on it. I kept on it the whole time, made copies of everything, documented everything.

Second thing is:

Watch your mental health counseling. You are allowed to get copies of what your mental health tech is writing down about you. Check it, and make sure it's accurate and they aren't just putting whatever the hell they want in there.

I had a bad experience with a Registered Nurse who took over as my mental health tech, who didn't know what the hell she was talking about. She misdiagnosed me, put me on the wrong pills, had pages of stuff in there that wasn't even me, and so much other crap that now I have to refile for PTSD. (She had written down that I claimed to have Vietnam flashbacks, which which is weird, since I would have been in like elementary school)

So check your mental health paperwork by getting copies of it.

And stay on them. Even if it takes 14 loving years, you'll get backpay for it.

• Locked thread