Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

So the VA bureaucracy gnomes are letting my claim ferment in their cellar somewhere. From reading this I should have gotten some sort of advocate. Is there a difference between using the American Legion or the DAV or something else? Is one better than the other? Does getting help from any of these groups officially or unofficially (wink wink you need to come by and press the flesh) require me to start going to meetings and listening to every old guy's war story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Thanks for the advice guys. I was down at the VA today and asked a few people that work there and they all had great things to say about the DAV.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

VA makes no sense at all. I claimed several things but these two stand out. They gave me 10% because I broke my hand and now it kinda sorta hurts if I take one of my fingers and try and pull it back to my wrist. But they gave me 0% for a internal problem I got, and will have the rest of my life. I'm actually on medication for that one and have been seeing VA doctors about it. WTF?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

If you're just going through regular va channels you will be hosed. There should be an OEF/OIF office at the hospital where they will fast track you.

Other than that the va takes it's sweet rear end time doing anything.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I always thought the OEF/OIF office was merely code word for post 9/11 vets, who were supposed to get a streamlined service when compared to older vets.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

tacotuesday posted:

Hmm.

During my ETS process in November of last year, I slapped a quick-claim on top of a copy of my medical record and gave it to the Ft. Benning VA representative to get a claim going. About 11 months ago, I got a letter from the VA in Atlanta (though I live in Alabama... perhaps because I cleared from Benning?) saying I was Priority Group 6, which sounded an awful lot like I was being rated at 0%. However, my claim on My eBenefits says it's still in the Development Phase (very long story cut short: the Winston-Salem regional office is a giant nutsack and I'm currently seeking DAV help on this one). Do I need to get my rear in gear and file an appeal for the paperwork's sake?

Did you file to get enrolled at the VA hospital? When I did I got a letter from the hospital saying that I was group 6 which is just OIF/OEF people. It means that the hospital will actually treat you for stuff. To get in a higher group you would have to have been a POW, or have a purple heart, or be 50% disabled, or 100% disabled. That isn't a complete list, simply an example of some of the requirements for higher groups. I think the groups simply prioritizes you for appointments.

I also got that letter and enrolled in the hospital long before I got my claim finished.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Wooty posted:

I went in yesterday for some help with my disability claim appeal and none of the VSO's would help. They said that they will not get involved in something I started on my own. I am going to go the path solo!

DAV 4 lyfe brah

I guess I don't really have any quantifiable results from them yet, since my case is still processing; but the lady handling my stuff is on point. She knew a ton more than the clowns at the VA hospital, cited actual cases about precedent, and had actual references to VA policy. The two guys at the VA hospital couldn't agree on what VA policy was.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the position title. I thought it was "veteran service officer" or something, which doesn't exist apparently. The folks at the hospital said that they were also certified to act as a VSO. So basically, I messed up my acronyms. Disregard my previous nonsense.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone know what the thing is called where the VA pays you travel costs to get to the hospital? Who would I talk to about that?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Is there a mileage limit on it? I live 30 miles from my VA but I'm there a lot and thought it might be worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone appealed their disability rating? I'm trying to figure out how long I should expect this to take.

• Locked thread