Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

Dantu posted:

Okay, so you applied for compensation and a few months later you get a letter from the local regional office telling you that you have been denied for service connection. Now what?

Hmm.

During my ETS process in November of last year, I slapped a quick-claim on top of a copy of my medical record and gave it to the Ft. Benning VA representative to get a claim going. About 11 months ago, I got a letter from the VA in Atlanta (though I live in Alabama... perhaps because I cleared from Benning?) saying I was Priority Group 6, which sounded an awful lot like I was being rated at 0%. However, my claim on My eBenefits says it's still in the Development Phase (very long story cut short: the Winston-Salem regional office is a giant nutsack and I'm currently seeking DAV help on this one). Do I need to get my rear in gear and file an appeal for the paperwork's sake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

t_bright posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean that you waited for 11 months before you got a letter in the mail? Or that you got a letter in the mail 11 months ago?

My mistake. I filed in November of 2010; the letter came in January 2011.

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Did you file to get enrolled at the VA hospital? When I did I got a letter from the hospital saying that I was group 6 which is just OIF/OEF people. It means that the hospital will actually treat you for stuff. To get in a higher group you would have to have been a POW, or have a purple heart, or be 50% disabled, or 100% disabled. That isn't a complete list, simply an example of some of the requirements for higher groups. I think the groups simply prioritizes you for appointments.

I also got that letter and enrolled in the hospital long before I got my claim finished.

Yes, and I've been treated by the mental health and TBI clinics at the closest VA hospital. It was a bit of a punch to the face to hear from the state VA advocate that the continued treatment at those individual clinics within the VA hospital meant absolutely nothing in terms of rating; when I asked how much weight would be given to my (well-documented, 1.5" thick) service medical history, he seemed to feel it was a question not worthy of response.

Here's a question for curiosity's sake: do you fine fellow travelers often find that you're the youngest patients in the waiting room when you visit the VA hospitals? The Tuskegee hospital is full-the-f*ck-up with people who look like they fought The Huns.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

Spongebob Tampax posted:

... and now depakote for nerve pain (it's really for seizures), and a goddamn anti-depressant, amitryptiline, for nerve pain also (though I'm not so goddamn depressed anymore.

Huh. They put me on Depakote for anxiety. Wikipedia says it's for manic stages of bipolar disorder. As for amitryptiline, the TBI clinic at Benning had me on that for headache prophylaxis. Now I understand they're leading yoga classes at Walter Reed.

Is it just me, or does everyone have too many prescription pads and no goddamned common sense?

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

t_bright posted:

I filed a claim in December 2010 and I still haven't seen a doctor, seen any progress done on my claim, or even gotten them to tell me what the hold up is. Good luck man, you're really, really gonna need it.

I have had a Congressional Inquiry, have tried to get my claim expedited due to serious medical conditions, had many social workers try and help, 2 VSO's try and help, and no-one can tell me how far along or where my claim is.

Have you tried the DVA? I walked into the DVA office at the Montgomery regional office, explained my situation (needed a C&P exam reschedule), and got a call three days ago with appointments out the rear end. Total time = roughly 40 days, which as you probably know by now is like an hour if you use the same clocks as the VA.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010

t_bright posted:

yea they told me they couldn't do anything. I'm pretty sure the VA is just testing to see how long it will take before I break. I mean. It's been 13 months since I filed. And my claim is still on the first phase.

Sorry, I meant the DAV. (IEDs cause dyslexia.) If you saw them, I'm genuinely surprised they turned you away; while waiting to see them, I got into a conversation with a fella who mentioned that the DAV was helping him get something like 25 years of back pay. I'd find it a little hard to believe they couldn't lean on the VA for some C&P appointments or to get the claims teams' asses in gear.

Speed Handle posted:

Well apparently they sent my claim in finally because I just got a call from the people physically handling my Quick-Start process and I'm basically getting treated like a king with them hand delivering it everywhere and getting a call every time it changes hands. Only downside is I have to drive 50 loving miles to tampa to get another medical examination. Again.

Travel pay, my friend. Travel pay.

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010
Month 17. C&P claim status: Pending Decision Approval. Where's the Smilie of Arnold Schwarzenegger's eyes popping out in "Total Recall"?

Anyone have any practical knowledge on how long this step takes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacotuesday
Dec 12, 2010
The best thing about being 80% disabled is heckling my fellow classmates. "Come on guys, I'm technically mentally retarded and I have no problem with quantum mechanics."

I told one guy I wasn't very good at math and science until I was blown up a couple times, and he got that "Hmmm... how do I get this 'head injury' of which you speak?" look.

• Locked thread