Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

t_bright posted:

gently caress the va.

va keeps me paid. I love the va.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

t_bright posted:

You got an honorable discharge. Thats all you loving need. Stop being a little bitch, put on your big boy pants, and start being proactive.

I got an OTH discharge 5 years in, I got demoted 2 ranks, and I got hurt while I was in. Right now the pain in my foot is so bad I have to stop walking in between classes to rest for a while.

I just came back from the VA Clinic, after being denied seeing a doctor.

I filed for disability about 11 months ago. My claim is still in the development phase. This means that the earliest I'll be able to see a doc is probably late 2012.

You have it made. Now shut the gently caress up.

Have you tried to get your discharge upgraded at all?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

vx15i posted:

You only get the cool benefits if you are rated over 30% service. VA ratings don't count. The system is jacked up and PEB liaisons generally don't know anything beyond how to fill out the paperwork. See if you can find a vet service rep willing to help. Getting the service rating right the first time is vital.

Vet reps can't do poo poo in the PEB process. You can get a lawyer to help you at no cost.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Let this be a lesson for anybosy reading this. File under BDP before you get out.

I'm sorry it's taking so long man.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yeah, I meant BDD. Autocorrect on my phone switched it up.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

t_bright posted:

tl;dr: file normally,

What the gently caress is filing normally?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

t_bright posted:

No, sorry, that's a goddamn lie. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE FILE BDD. The average wait time for the development phase in the salt lake city office is at least 330 days. Mine is nearing 400 days.

You shouldn't give advice because your poo poo's all hosed up because you hosed up and got an OTH. Your situation is unique and not a standard.

FOR ALL THE ACTIVE DUTY PEOPLE READING THIS THAT WONT BE GETTING OUT WITH AN OTH, UTILIZE BDD within 60-180 DAYS OF ETSing.

It's the FASTEST possible way to get paid besides being in the PEB/DES system.

This "normal" filing is wrong. YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER loving FILE AFTER YOU GET OUT if you can help it. You can file your poo poo and have all your examinations done BEFORE YOU EVEN GET OUT.

Now if you have less than sixty drat days left, use the QUICK START program. You can file QUICK START YOUR LAST loving DAY IN THE MILITARY AND YOUR CASE IS PROCESSED BEFORE THE "NORMAL" CASES.

I'm truly sorry poo poo's not going your way but don't put out bad info. Telling people not to file while stile active duty is the biggest mistake I've seen in this thread and all the vet threads in GIP.

One piece of advice for any active duty reading this. If you think you can get your doctor to put in a PEB for anyone of your conditions, DO IT. If found unfit for duty your entitlements can be a little bit more than a VA compensation check. For example medical severance, retirement, base access, commissary privileges etc. Most importantly, you start getting paid within a month of discharge.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

kys posted:

I'm in the same boat when it comes to VA disability. I filed my claim in March of 2010, 4 months before getting my DD-214. Turns out the VFW rep I filed through didn't turn it in (woops!) and I had the luxury of filling out another application for disability in August 2010 (I was so pissed I waited a month to refile). Here I am, late October 2011, still in Development Phase. I e-mailed my Congress Rep two weeks ago about a Congressional Inquiry and I haven't heard poo poo from them either.

gently caress this

Did you file specifically under BDD or Quick Start? It makes all the difference in filing.

Also, all the VSOs are awesome and I appreciate what they do but the absolute hands down best for dealing with VA Disability Compensation is DAV.

And my experience with VA healthcare has been extremely positive. The wait times can be a little long at times but that's about it. Obviously there are lovely parts about it, I know but they're there to help you.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Other than wanting to get out sooner there is no draw back to going the PEB route. And yes the DoD findings are in no way binding for the VA but the VA findings are 99.99% more favorable.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

t_bright posted:

Yea, you're probably right about that, I just got pissed

I'm really sorry your struggling to get benefits. No veteran should be completely without benefits for for an oth. It's not like it's a bcd.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Jesus H Nyce posted:

Anybody familiar with the Army College Fund, specifically how a lot of people seem to be getting dicked out of it? More details at this link:

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?1563052-Army-College-Fund&s=d038f55a917e8af2d93e1971f6c0eedf

I am about to ETS and I should receive the ACF, but I grow more and more concerned the more I find out about it. I have a friend who is getting out and she is in the same situation as me. The VA is asking for her 3286-66 which is in neither her OMPF or her initial enlistment. I have yet to receive that request from the VA, but I do not have a copy of my 3286-66 either.

Didn't read the link because I'm about to trick or treat but just real quick:

I opted for the Navy College Fund for my enlistment bonus. It was for 50k. When I got out and started preparing the GI Bill, I asked around and was told to get my enlistment contract out and prepare for a hassle. So I got prepared for an ordeal but it was taken care of in the first five minutes of phone calls. I called my service HQ and told them I was out and wanted to collect on my NCF. I didn't even have to fax or fill anything out, the dude just looked me up and sent some info of to VA and it was done. Bam, five minutes.

It works out to about $420 for me per month paid out in full for the semester at or near the start of the semester. Obviously it's not going to be 50k but I guess the fine print of the service college funds basically means you'll get a total of 50k for all entitlements.

It's misleading but still a great deal.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I would also like to know this. If nobody knows I can ask on November 9th.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

TLG James posted:

Anyone know how long after your DOS you got your last paycheck?

Days usually.

Edit: for Navy at least.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Tinnitus without hearing loss is standard of 10%. Almost nobody gets denied for it and you don't have to have a prior history of it as long as you file with the VA before getting out. If you're already out then you would have to have something in your medical record.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Anyone else catch wind (see the class action lawsuit commercials) about the VA issuing drugs for 'off-label' reasoning?

I'm starting to get a bit curious about it since the fuckers have put me on neurontin twice with terrible side effects (half my face going numb, extreme light sensitivity, etc) and now depakote for nerve pain (it's really for seizures), and a goddamn anti-depressant, amitryptiline, for nerve pain also (though I'm not so goddamn depressed anymore). I stopped taking all of them a few weeks back and feel better without the poo poo, but only heard about this yesterday. Whose rear end do I need to shove a boot up?

I'm on blood pressure meds for severe migraines. Don't know if it will work yet.

Off label prescriptions are pretty common though and not something exclusive to the VA.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Showed up for a routine QTC physical and they handed me a check for $21. Pretty awesome.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Did they give you that for travel reimbursement? Every time I go to my VA they tell me to hit the travel office for mileage reimbursement but I live a whole 15 miles from the hospital so it seems pointless. It was even more pointless when I still lived in Murfreesboro, TN and was maybe 4 miles from the hospital.

Yeah, it was for travel. I never ask because I live maybe 25 miles from the VA hospital. But the check was just waiting for me at QTC without asking.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

DAV 4 lyfe brah

I guess I don't really have any quantifiable results from them yet, since my case is still processing; but the lady handling my stuff is on point. She knew a ton more than the clowns at the VA hospital, cited actual cases about precedent, and had actual references to VA policy. The two guys at the VA hospital couldn't agree on what VA policy was.

He just said the VSOs turned him away. DAV is a VSO.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Sounds like there's a decision, so that's at least something. Just waiting on approval.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yes, you'll have to go through psych. However, if you have a previous prescription they can have someone order a refill while you wait for your referral.

I got pretty fed up with waiting and the quality of care was abysmal so I just suck up and pay a copay and use my tricare out in town. Right now I have my primary care doc do my med management and I see a therapist. May switch to a psychiatrist for med management, not sure yet.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HClChicken posted:

Why is it that everybody says I can suspend paying my car loan while deployed. From all the research SCRA doesn't have that provision.

As far as I know, that's definitely not true. There are companies that will let you suspend service as courtesy like cellphone, cable companies but I've never seen a car loan suspended. Especially when there are things like compound interest involved.

Why would you want to anyway? When I deployed I made double/triple payments on things while I had that sweet deployment cash.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Also, when you defer a cell contract or cable contract, the deferment time is added on to your original contract.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

HClChicken posted:

So that when I come back I'll have X much more money for school later. I'm leaning to selling the drat thing and keeping the beater car.

I would just sell the car then. Especially if you're getting out.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

TLG James posted:

Anyone knows if you are hosed if you missed a life insurance payment? I was out of the country for 4 months and totally blanked on it. I paid it now, but it was ~35 days or so late.

Keep paying and if they don't send you a letter that your insurance is no longer valid then you're good to go. Once you're paid in full, call and verify your account is still active. You should be fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

mhachtx posted:

Hey guys, sometime in the future I might have to short sale my house that is guaranteed by a VA loan. I know they will hold my C&P payments until the debt is recovered, but will this gently caress up my GI Bill payments? Will the payments to my school, and myself be with held until the debt is recovered?

i'm just trying to get a feeling for how screwed I am.

It shouldn't screw you with GI Bill. If they say something about it you can always make arrangements so your GI Bill wont be affected.

• Locked thread