Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Edit:
Thanks.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Alas Boobylon posted:

If a home isn't VA home loan approved is that a red flag that it's poo poo?

Generally speaking, yes, but it really does matter why the home fails the VA inspection. There are some criteria that might not matter as much to you or could be easily remedied.

You can take a look at the VA Minimum Property requirements here: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=26-7c12VALH.pdf

If you are looking at buying a house that isn't VA home loan approved, it'd be best to find out why before you move forward on making an offer.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Alas Boobylon posted:

is it possible that the home hasn't had a VA inspection, but would pass if it had an inspection? im looking at a condo, the realtor says she'd check to see if its VA approved, she says it isnt. so does that mean it hasn't passed or it can't pass.

she's also beckoning me towards condos that are approved, should i just say gently caress this condo and move on to them? or would it be possible for her to contact the seller and see if they can do the inspection and see if they pass (assuming they haven't already failed).

It is possible that your realtor is just saying it isn't VA approved because it hasn't had a VA inspection yet and she just doesn't want to wait for it to get done. In some areas there are only a couple VA approved inspectors and it can take awhile to get the inspection done.

More than likely you'd have to make an offer, get in contract, then pay for the inspection yourself if you want to get it done. However you can ask your realtor to ask the sellers if they have had any inspections done and try to get a copy of the inspection report. You can also take a look at the sellers disclosure to see if there is anything glaringly wrong on that.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Alas Boobylon posted:

Recently down/upgraded to 100% VA disabled, is there anything about this that changes anything other than more sweet government cheese, assuming I don't have need for special housing modifications? Already have GI Bill and am going to school, not employed (lol).

Depending on what state your in there are sometimes incentives, such as reduced or no property taxes, for being 100% disabled. Note, that the VA and some states distinguish between 100% disabled and 100% permanent and totally disabled. If your 100% P/T then you're pretty much set.

Edit: They have some state benefits listed on ebenefits, but it isn't a complete list so you should still try to search for resources specific to your state.
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal?_nfpb=true&_nfxr=false&_pageLabel=BenefitsByState

Delizin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 17, 2014

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Christoff posted:

If I may qualify for TAMP (TA180 - the 6 months of tri-care after EAS) should I still go ahead and get my enrollment process started with the VA? Can I do that on terminal or do I have to wait until my official EAS?

There's a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) office in San Diego I was told about that apparently not many know about. I guess they assign a lawyer to your case/claims free of charge.

Definitely apply for VA too. It doesn't hurt to have coverage at both. You will need your DD214 to enroll iirc.

DAV is pretty good. I've never seen them have actual lawyers, instead it a veteran service officer that tends be a vet as well and they know their stuff pretty well.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Time posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread so I'll move it if I'm wrong but I have an immunization question. I need to get shots for school but I'm not sure what ones I already got in the Army. My shot records were lost in a car wreck and I guess I need to petition to get them again somehow?

I need:
MMR
Hep B
TDap
Varicella
Meningitis

Would we have gotten any of these in the military or is it too case dependent to tell?

You should have gotten most of them, though you might be due for boosters if you've been out for awhile. The only one I don't remember getting was one for Meningitis and I'm not sure if tdap is standard, but it does need a booster. A primary care doc should be able to do a blood test to determine which vaccines you need. That will probably be way easier than trying to get a hold of your medical records.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Just bought my house with a VA loan. It was really simple and quick. The guy who did the VA inspection was the same guy who would have done with regular mortgage inspection anyway. I ended up saving about 1.5% APR by going with a VA over a conventional, that combined with not having to worry about having the full 20% down payment and wasting money on PMI put much nicer homes in my price range. There were no classes that I had to attend and the VA doesn't require classes. It could be a stipulation from one particular lender, but gently caress them. Plenty of other banks out there that would love to take your money.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Storing your DD214 with the county isn't always a good idea. In a lot of counties your DD214 will become a public record that anyone can get their hands on with all of your sensitive info intact. This will put you in serious danger of having your identity stolen. If you want to keep your original safe then put it in a safety deposit box or somewhere else that people can't get access to it.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

USMC503 posted:

Dumb VA related question that has probably been answered but w/e.

Does the $50 company for outpatient services include ER services? Because I'm planning on going there in the morning.

I am reading through the regulations and it looks like the VA will reimburse you for emergency treatment if you fall within their eligibility guidelines. Regs are below. Good luck and I hope it's nothing too serious.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/17.108

38 CFR 17.108 - Copayments for inpatient hospital care and outpatient medical care. posted:

(e) Services not subject to copayment requirements for inpatient hospital care or outpatient medical care. The following are not subject to the copayment requirements under this section:
(9) Emergency treatment paid for under 38 U.S.C. 1725 or 1728;

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/1725

38 U.S. Code § 1725 - Reimbursement for emergency treatment posted:

(a) General Authority.—
(1) Subject to subsections (c) and (d), the Secretary shall reimburse a veteran described in subsection (b) for the reasonable value of emergency treatment furnished the veteran in a non-Department facility.
(2) In any case in which reimbursement is authorized under subsection (a)(1), the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may, in lieu of reimbursing the veteran, make payment of the reasonable value of the furnished emergency treatment directly—
(A) to a hospital or other health care provider that furnished the treatment; or
(B) to the person or organization that paid for such treatment on behalf of the veteran.
(b) Eligibility.—
(1) A veteran referred to in subsection (a)(1) is an individual who is an active Department health-care participant who is personally liable for emergency treatment furnished the veteran in a non-Department facility.
(2) A veteran is an active Department health-care participant if—
(A) the veteran is enrolled in the health care system established under section 1705 (a) of this title; and
(B) the veteran received care under this chapter within the 24-month period preceding the furnishing of such emergency treatment.
(3) A veteran is personally liable for emergency treatment furnished the veteran in a non-Department facility if the veteran—
(A) is financially liable to the provider of emergency treatment for that treatment;
(B) has no entitlement to care or services under a health-plan contract (determined, in the case of a health-plan contract as defined in subsection (f)(2)(B) or (f)(2)(C), without regard to any requirement or limitation relating to eligibility for care or services from any department or agency of the United States);
(C) has no other contractual or legal recourse against a third party that would, in whole, extinguish such liability to the provider; and
(D) is not eligible for reimbursement for medical care or services under section 1728 of this title.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Oregon is stupid. There is no such thing as a 25% disability rating from the VA.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

So I was granted 100% P&T last year and because of that it qualified my wife for Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents education benefits. My wife already has about 3 years of college under her belt, but due to a whole slew of different reason she wasn't able to finish her degree while I was in the military. She is starting at a new school next week and has changed her major to engineering which meant a lot of her credits didn't transfer and it will take her about 2.5-3 years to finish now. When she was getting her chapter 35 stuff pushed through the VA education rep told her that because she already has some college under her belt that she can request back pay for all or some of the months that she already attended.

I know practically nothing about this program except that they are going to be paying her like $1100/month while she is in school for up to 45 months.

My questions are:
Can she collect back pay for the college she already attended even if it was prior to me being awarded 100% P&T?
If she can receive pack pay, would there be any reason not to request like 12 months worth of back pay so that by the time she finishes her degree the full 45 months are used up instead of having an extra 12 or so months left over?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

I haven't had to do any of the TDRL stuff, but as far as submitting evidence, you should get a copy of all of your records from the VA then go through them to find the ones that you think best support your claim and turn them in. Of course the VA already has access to all of these records, but by submitting these ones separately it helps ensure that they look at these in a little bit more depth than they might have otherwise. You can also have letters from family, friends, coworkers, etc. that support your claim if it is something that can be observed by non-medical personnel or if it helps put together a picture of how your disability affects your life.

From how I understand the TDRL re-evaluations work is that they will be looking for evidence and medical opinions that your condition has stabilized so they can assign a permanent rating. If they think you are doing better and it is likely to stay that way they can remove you from TDRL and even return you to active duty to finish your contract. If your condition is still unstable they will probably continue your TDRL until it stabilizes.

For this exam, you probably won't be seeing your usual provider. Instead I think that you it will be sent to another doctor similar to a C&P. What this doctor includes in their report will strongly influence what happens to you.

I'll tell you what my DAV rep told me about these exams: Make sure that you don't play it tough with these guys, tell them exactly how everything is on your worst day.

Edit: Also I remember some people on pebforum.com (great resource btw) talking about having to do their TDRL interviews for mental health over the phone, so that might be the case too.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It probably has nothing to do with anything you have done. If you were put on TDRL then by regulation they are supposed to pull in you for exams regularly to re-evaluate your condition.

Here are some of the applicable regs that I pulled from pebforum:

38 CFR VASRD §4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress (if applicable to your particular situation), it states:

"When a mental disorder that develops in service as a result of a highly stressful event is severe enough to bring about the veteran's release from active military service, the rating agency shall assign an evaluation of not less than 50 percent and schedule an examination within the six month period following the veteran's discharge to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted."

As such, in accordance with DTM-015, December 19, 2011 Change 3, August 8, 2013, Attachment 5, TDRL Procedures, 2. RE-EXAMINATION AND RE-RATING OF TDRL MEMBERS, it states:

a. Initiating the TDRL Re-Evaluation Process. No later than 16 months after temporarily retiring a Service member for disability or after the Service member’s previous re-evaluation, the Military Department will use DoD medical treatment documentation and VA corporate databases, including VISTA, VETSNET, CAPRI, SHARE, Virtual VA, or follow-on systems, or veteran-provided medical records to obtain available medical treatment and disability examination documentation. The Military Department PEB will review the available medical evidence to determine if the documentation is sufficient to conduct the TDRL re-evaluation of all diagnoses present during the period of TDRL evaluation without the requirement for additional physical examination of the Service member.
b. Conduct of Disability Re-Examinations. VA will schedule and conduct future examinations in accordance with part 3 of Reference (h) for Service members placed on TDRL via the IDES process if the D-RAS has established a need for a future examination. The Military Department concerned will use VA’s VISTA, VETSNET, Virtual VA, and SHARE applications to determine if VA cancelled (or rescheduled to a later date) a future examination for a serviceconnected disability. If VA cancels a future examination, VA will not schedule additional future examinations and will not prepare additional rating decisions. The Military Department concerned will obtain a copy of the most current rating and medical evidence upon which the most current rating was based using the VISTA, VETSNET, Virtual VA, and SHARE applications. If the existing medical treatment documentation and examination reports are not sufficient for the Military Department concerned to conduct the re-evaluation process, the Military Department concerned will comply with their responsibilities in chapter 61 of Reference (j) regarding the TDRL, to include performing TDRL examinations and ratings when necessary.

• Locked thread