Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Speaking of which, can the music mod be safely uninstalled without ruining the other mods? It was bad enough that The Deb of Night got replaced with someone's garage reggae band, but the Anarchs sitting around listening to that *Snore* techno instead of "Lecher Bitch" by the Genitorturers is the last straw.

Actually, while I really like the Clan Quest material, I'm kind of put out by the entire Camarilla mod. It's kind of obnoxious that my guy can slice up vampires with no problem, but OH poo poo two gang-bangers with guns get me the gently caress out of here! Especially with the loading screens still talking about how much more deadly bladed weapons are than guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Chainsawdomy posted:

Actually, while I really like the Clan Quest material, I'm kind of put out by the entire Camarilla mod. It's kind of obnoxious that my guy can slice up vampires with no problem, but OH poo poo two gang-bangers with guns get me the gently caress out of here! Especially with the loading screens still talking about how much more deadly bladed weapons are than guns.

Pretty much this.
I think it should be possible to just remove the new tracks from the music folder,but I don't know which are which,really. And while the ranged weapons needed some buff up,they kinda went overboard with it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

lordfrikk posted:

Would you mind, you know, posting the error? :rolleyes: If it's the "more than 15 mb" error, solution is on previous page.

It's just a generic runtime error, with a popup telling me that the program terminated in an unusual way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Totally unrelated to this game, but related to the setting, but Traditional Games has a few PnP Vampire/other WoD games running, as well as maybe some more coming up? Jump in!

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
So I kept hearing about this game over the years but never got around to it because I'd assume it's just a make love then kill said person simulator. Wasn't until this thread that I picked it up, and I learned a lot of things from this game.

That a perfectly lit street is actually compleatly loving dark.

That all humans are nearsighted.

That looking like Rosie O'Donnell isn't so bad after all.

Rats are like Cows.

Haunted Houses can actually be really god drat scary.

Just tell everyone you're actually a burn victom and you'll be fine.

Even though you drain 90% of the blood of that guy with a tire iron, he's still just as powerful and will rush you down.

Is there any way I can avoid the Haunted House level? Because I'm a pansy.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

blakout posted:

I'd like to link here to the LP Pesmerga did of this game its an SSLP done "In Character" and its loving incredible, he does every side mission and you really feel for his character.
http://lparchive.org/Vampire-The-Masquerade-Bloodlines/

Hey, I'm glad that people still read and actually enjoy reading this. It was fun to write, and the response makes it well worth the time it took to screencap every single damned quest and piece of dialogue!

And as ever, reading this thread, I now have the urge to play it again with all the new mods. Although, using a Macbook these days, I think I'll put that off for now. It was hard enough getting it to run on a PC.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Lant posted:

That all humans are nearsighted.

I like to think that all the humans in the WoD universe are so apathetic that they see a dude getting shotgunned by the police point blank without even flinching and think nothing of it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's just a generic runtime error, with a popup telling me that the program terminated in an unusual way.

As it turns out, the error was related to a bad Python 2.1 registry entry. Deleted it and now Bloodlines is running amazingly well. I post this in case anyone else has a similar error.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've had to bust out Python calls from the console to fix quests so keep that documentation handy.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

blakout posted:

I'd like to link here to the LP Pesmerga did of this game its an SSLP done "In Character" and its loving incredible, he does every side mission and you really feel for his character.
http://lparchive.org/Vampire-The-Masquerade-Bloodlines/

It took me two days of reading this instead of doing work to finish it, but I finished it and it was great.

I especially liked how the game was played through with a consistent character and internal logic. It wasn't an exhaustive 100% playthrough. It was a playthrough showing the strengths of the World of Darkness, the ability to create a believable persona. You create a concept and you can play that concept all the way through without being railroaded. This playthrough highlighted that.

It really makes me want to dig out my install discs again and try to get it working on my Windows 7 system. Last time, I got tired of playing it in a window since my laptop was widescreen and the game would make my screen go blank and I had to power my system off, but there is a patch linked in the OP so maybe that's no longer a problem.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I just wanted to chime in (if no one has already) that there seems to be an effort on the part of hobbyist coders to port this over to Valve's Alien Swarm engine.

The URL for "Vampire: Bloodlines: Resurgence" is here. I figured I would put this in the thread in case anyone wanted to help Daedalus to mod and reinvigorate this truly awesome game.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
you've made a powerful enemy today, sign.

This game is the bomb.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

spaceships posted:

This game is the bomb.

I laughed for so long the first time that happened. There are a surprising amounts of genuinely funny moments in a game filled with flesh eating monsters and impending doom around every corner.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I need to figure out what to rename Christian Woman to make it the first song that plays right at the Credits scroll... it'd be perfect for that.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

spaceships posted:

This game is the bomb.

At what point in the game is this? I just finished Santa Monica (as a Malk) and I'm chillin' downtown, did I miss it?

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Forums Medic posted:

At what point in the game is this? I just finished Santa Monica (as a Malk) and I'm chillin' downtown, did I miss it?

It's in Downtown, but you need to bug the game to do it. I don't remember exactly how, but I'll track something down.

Edit: Apparently, I'm wrong. I just went through some crazy poo poo when I did it years ago. You need to walk up to the right signpost, it'll all happen automatically.

editsss: also that lp is the best lp.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 16, 2011

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I'm playing without the fanpatch and my god.

gently caress these beams.

I eventually gave up and just killed my way to the end of the museum, does the fan patch fix the stupidly large hit box or whatever was causing me to trigger the beams when I was no where close to them?

Further edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLeVUZxBri4& Happened to me this morning, but with DSL takes forever to upload.

Lant fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 16, 2011

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Lant posted:

Further edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLeVUZxBri4& Happened to me this morning, but with DSL takes forever to upload.

nines did this to me. he was bombing around like it was the most important thing in the world.

i've never even seen nines move before.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Chainsawdomy posted:

Did you try blood buff? In Cammy mod you should keep the blood flowing during combat or you'll end up stiff yet clammy and all alone on the floor.

I got my rear end beat by .38s (the indignity) until I realized the cammy mod is all about the blood buff, which is better than it sounds because as you upgrade the power, you start feeling, not like a guy who just got +1 to swords before this fight, but instead like a guy whose power transforms him from something that passes for a human into an unstoppable monster.

To the person who said something about Lingering Malaise: you weren't kidding. The Malk is a wampy of mass destruction now. As I prowled the Giovanni halls last night, some of them spontaneously started giggling. Others cried, a few even prayed. The rest, I guess, were too busy screaming.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lant posted:

I'm playing without the fanpatch and my god.

gently caress these beams.

I eventually gave up and just killed my way to the end of the museum, does the fan patch fix the stupidly large hit box or whatever was causing me to trigger the beams when I was no where close to them?

If you didn't know, there's a way to disable them. You can either disable them completely or else just enough so that you can slip past.

And for the record, if you don't disable at least some of the beams you literally cannot get through that hallway without triggering the alarm. I'm not sure if you tried disabling them, but if not then there's your problem.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

What I like about The Lost Boys is that the vampires are horrible monsters and yet they and their world are seductive and enticing to people like Mikey. They're not Anne Rice vampires who are all charm and good looks, they're outwardly good-looking, mean-tempered punks who turn into hideous beasts when they're out hunting for victims.

Actually the vampires in The Lost Boys are quite a bit like Vampire's... vampires... except their vampirism makes them lose their humanity pretty much automatically. Mikey turns into some feral animal just from being half-turned, and all the other vampires are twisted freaks (except for the one female in the group).

Also yes, the world of The Lost Boys is pretty mundane, and the vampires are really nothing more than street punks who happen to have supernatural powers.

I always assumed the Brujah were intentionally supposed to be a Lost Boys homage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

I always assumed the Brujah were intentionally supposed to be a Lost Boys homage.

The whole idea behind Sabbat packs was based on The Lost Boys pretty directly, too.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fuzz posted:

The whole idea behind Sabbat packs was based on The Lost Boys pretty directly, too.

And the fact that it takes place in Santa Monica...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If they ever make another Vampire the Masquerade or Vampire the Anything game (and it doesn't look like they ever will), they should set it in the 1980's and make it completely open world. You could head down to the beach and watch oiled, shirtless dudes playing the sax, then go home to your underground lair decked out with Jim Morrison posters and listen to Echo and the Bunnymen.

Basically what I'm saying is they should make The Lost Boys: The Game.

Edit: VV Who is CCP and is it a World of Darkness vampire game?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 16, 2011

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Tewratomeh posted:

If they ever make another Vampire the Masquerade or Vampire the Anything game (and it doesn't look like they ever will), they should set it in the 1980's and make it completely open world. You could head down to the beach and watch oiled, shirtless dudes playing the sax, then go home to your underground lair decked out with Jim Morrison posters and listen to Echo and the Bunnymen.

Basically what I'm saying is they should make The Lost Boys: The Game.
CCP is making a MMO vampire game.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Tewratomeh posted:

Edit: VV Who is CCP and is it a World of Darkness vampire game?

CCP are the creators of EVE Online, and yes, it is an oWoD MMO. No real details yet, beyond the announcement.

lewse jewse
Aug 13, 2004
still lahlin
Well, my dreams of playing this game again have hit a road block. After getting the 15 MB memory bug, I downloaded the patcher linked earlier and successfully applied the patch... only to have it give the exact same error. Just in case, I got the executable patch and did that too, but no dice. What gives? :(

fake edit: I should mention that I installed the CQM with Camarilla and the other accessory mods.

double fake edit: just realized i never ran the game before modding it. gonna do a clean install and try that.

lewse jewse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 16, 2011

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

lewse jewse posted:

Well, my dreams of playing this game again have hit a road block. After getting the 15 MB memory bug, I downloaded the patcher linked earlier and successfully applied the patch... only to have it give the exact same error. Just in case, I got the executable patch and did that too, but no dice. What gives? :(

fake edit: I should mention that I installed the CQM with Camarilla and the other accessory mods.

double fake edit: just realized i never ran the game before modding it. gonna do a clean install and try that.

It might be a stupid question but did you install the official 1.2 patch after installing the game? I don't know if I'm just an idiot but I'm pretty sure that the unofficial patch included the last official patch so there was no need to install it. CQM, however, for some mysterious reason, doesn't include it and it will cause a shitload of problems if you simply assume it is installed along with it.

lewse jewse
Aug 13, 2004
still lahlin

lordfrikk posted:

It might be a stupid question but did you install the official 1.2 patch after installing the game? I don't know if I'm just an idiot but I'm pretty sure that the unofficial patch included the last official patch so there was no need to install it. CQM, however, for some mysterious reason, doesn't include it and it will cause a shitload of problems if you simply assume it is installed along with it.

I have the steam version, so the 1.2 patch is already in there. I just did a clean install and tried the fix with no fan patches or modding. Didn't work. Then I installed CQM with Wesp's plus patch.. still didn't work, with or without the fix. Also, fiddling with UAC has no effect.

e: I even used a hex editor to change engine.dll myself and it still won't work :saddowns:. According to the instructions, it has the right value where it's supposed to be in order to skip the check for available memory all together. I have a feeling this has something to do with permissions... what obvious thing am I missing?

lewse jewse fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 16, 2011

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

lewse jewse posted:

I have the steam version, so the 1.2 patch is already in there. I just did a clean install and tried the fix with no fan patches or modding. Didn't work. Then I installed CQM with Wesp's plus patch.. still didn't work, with or without the fix. Also, fiddling with UAC has no effect.

Dont forget to make sure the CQM is going to the right directory. It defaults to the wrong place on Win7 machines.

(it defaults to Program Files/Steam/.... instead of Program Files(x86)/Steam/....)

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

doctor iono posted:

creators of EVE Online

quote:

an oWoD MMO

Sounds dreadful already

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Hal Incandenza posted:

Dont forget to make sure the CQM is going to the right directory. It defaults to the wrong place on Win7 machines.

(it defaults to Program Files/Steam/.... instead of Program Files(x86)/Steam/....)

Beaten, but this turned out to be the issue I was having and it all works now.

However, I've now got a different issue I've started to run into: I've gone melee, and lately I find myslef clipping into the enemies while I try to fight them if I miss. This makes for annoying fights. Eventually I can jump out of the people, but it shouldn't happen in the first place :( Thoughts?

Also, I sucked the blood from the jail bond guy (Arthur or whatever), and now he is in a perma trance mode. Can I get him back somehow or am I screwed with those quests?

lewse jewse
Aug 13, 2004
still lahlin

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ah yes, while it is true that I am, in fact, an idiot who overlooked that, when I installed CQM properly it did NOT fix the problem.

edit: disregard that, I was looking at your post when I reinstalled CQM and forgot to put the space between "program files" and "(x86)". everything is solved now, thanks for helping my mongoloid self out.

lewse jewse fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 16, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Coolio posted:

Sounds dreadful already

Yes, I'd much prefer an Obsidian single-player Requiem game, but I guess you take what you can get. :(

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008
LOVE this game so much. Script and voice acting are absolutely second to none, and it's worth all the hassle just to play an RPG that is set in a marginally 'real-world' environment. And I never get tired of watching NPCs open doors with a kung-fu kick and then casually keep walking like they didn't just do that.

So has anybody read any of the books? Are they as low-rent as they look?

Somebody mentioned Redemption on the first page. GOG has it for six bux. I've never played it, but for that price I think I'll give it a try.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Redemption was pretty decent for a Diablo-clone. The best character doesn't get introduced until late in the game, though. Ahh, Dev/Null what won't you say? :allears:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Dr_Fever posted:

LOVE this game so much. Script and voice acting are absolutely second to none, and it's worth all the hassle just to play an RPG that is set in a marginally 'real-world' environment. And I never get tired of watching NPCs open doors with a kung-fu kick and then casually keep walking like they didn't just do that.

So has anybody read any of the books? Are they as low-rent as they look?

Somebody mentioned Redemption on the first page. GOG has it for six bux. I've never played it, but for that price I think I'll give it a try.

I read the anthology of the clan novels, a couple of thousand pages worth, and it was an interesting read. Some were written better than others, but it was good stuff. I got to learn more about the followers of set and ravnos than I had ever known before, for sure.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I actually just started playing Redemption yesterday. Like others have said, it's a fun Diablo clone. Reminds me of Darkstone, but with a much more complex stats system and a deeper story. The camera controls are kind of fucky, but I'm enjoying it. Definitely worth $6 if you like the setting.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Coolio posted:

Sounds dreadful already
If it's like Eve it will end up being a game you'll subscribe to, but have no intention of actually playing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

SourceElement posted:

Redemption was pretty decent for a Diablo-clone. The best character doesn't get introduced until late in the game, though. Ahh, Dev/Null what won't you say? :allears:

redemption was by far a better game as a whole than diablo. don't argue with me, i am correct.

• Locked thread