Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

In 2010 I was without a job and drawing unemployment for the entire calendar year. When I lost my job I stopped my automatic savings into my ING account and told Fidelity to skip several of the upcoming months for automatic deductions into my Roth IRA, thinking the time I gave myself to "skip" was more than sufficient for me to find a job. I generally ended up forgetting about it though until I saw the deduction notice in my bank account. This happened a few times throughout the year, as I was always more overconfident in my ability to find work than reality allowed.

What this boils down to is I made mistakenly made $1200 worth of Roth IRA contributions when I had no earnings in the year and my only income was from unemployment. I always do my taxes myself, but I plugged everything into turbotax for shits and grins this year and it told me this is a no-no (Roth IRA contributions being maxed at earnings up to $5k). Is there an easy fix for this or do I need to talk to someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

furushotakeru posted:

Your Roth custodian should be able to undo your contributions for the year if you contact them and let them know that you put more in than you were allowed. If you do this by 4/18 you should not be penalized for the contributions, but will pay tax and penalty on any earnings.

Okay, that doesn't seem so bad. Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad I didn't wait until April 12ish to do my taxes this year like usual :)