Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

I moved from New York state to Illinois while keeping the same job but my employer took forever to switch my tax status over to Illinois so for the last two months of 2010 I was living and working in Illinois but my paycheck still said New York. I only have a W-2 for NY, not for IL.

So I know you're supposed to report all income in both states if you moved and are filing as a part year resident however I have no W-2 for IL. Do I have to get a separate W-2 from my employer for IL? Is that even possible after the fact like this when I've already received the paychecks and have paid withheld tax to NY?

My other theory as to this mess is that since I was still considered to be based out of the NY office (for the last 2 months of the year I was actually living in IL) that means I file a part year return and a non-resident return for NY. If that's the case what do I file for IL? Can I simply report the income to IL and have it credited as tax paid already paid to NY without having a W-2 for IL?

I'm using TaxSlayer for the state returns and it was fine last year but when I just do all the forms for it (entering my NY W-2) I get what appears to be the correct tax for NY but $0 owed to IL. I'm doubting it's doing everything right given the situation but that's what I get with using what I assume is the correct forms (part year resident).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU