Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I'm living with my girlfriend, and I'm providing all of the income. From what I can see, I can claim her as a dependent if:

She's lived with me for the entire 2010 calendar year
I provide more than 50% of the income
She makes less than the standard deduction (none, in fact)
She's not claimed as a dependent by anyone else
She's a US citizen
She has no joint returns with anyone
No state or local laws against cohabitation

She qualifies for all of these. Two questions:

Does she have to file, with no income?
I already filed my return, so I'll have to file an amendment...will this complicate anything, especially with the former question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Taxact only costs 18 to use and file one federal/one state.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

tolerabletariff posted:

Yeah that article explains exactly what I'm talking about, actually. We've been closer to the $300k area anyway but earlier this year saw a ~50% increase so I might have to reform my "lower upper middle class" mindset. But tuition for two kids at Ivy/private schools still eats up $100k out of that annually, obviously we don't get a cent in aid.

So wait. Are you telling me tax pros don't have like... Magic money sticks they can shake to save clients tax bills? I don't meant HR block types, but like tax attorney/financial planner guys. I guess it's useless for me to get one because there's pretty much nothing I can do to bring my agi down.

(I'll warn you, people generally see people like those in that article as horrifically snobbish out-of-touch upperclass-people, not middle class struggling to get by)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AbbiTheDog posted:

They can change them whenever they feel like it.

Probably can't change them after April, though? "Everyone who paid taxes last year, we want another 100 bucks"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gift tax question time! I forget if I've asked this before.

We're looking at houses, and a set of parents are planning on helping us out with money, on the order of 30k+.

Now, they can give it to us as a gift, but have to: fill out a form to make sure the bank will know that it's a gift, not a loan, and then it can be used towards the down payment. Or, they can give it to us as a gift, but we don't use it towards the down payment (we can handle it without) and then just use the money towards paying off the mortgage faster. Or, they can structure it in smaller amounts and give it to us over the course of years.

Does that sum it up? What are the numbers involved that require structuring, or that form? I'm pretty sure that regardless, there's no tax implications on our end, just on the givers' end. Correct?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Above 14k a year (each), the gift tax implications kick in. What are those?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

scribe jones posted:

The amount over the $14k limit then comes out of the donor's lifetime gift/estate tax exemption, currently sitting at $5.25mm per person. If they then exhaust that exemption, any other gifts will be taxable.

That's what I thought. Which is, for all intents and purposes, infinite, for these sorts of purposes. Thanks!

They would just note this on their tax return, and it would put a teensy dent into that number, and that's it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

They would actually need to file a separate gift tax return, but otherwise yes. However, they can potentially give you and your other person up to $56K in 2013 without triggering the need to file a gift tax return.

I thought you said it was just 2k for the spouse? Regardless, very helpful, thanks so much!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

You said they were giving you about $30K, so it was $14K to you from Mom and $14K to you from Dad and $2K to spouse = $30K.

Aha, gotcha. Thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ROTH IRA does not reduce your taxable income. Get married.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DholmbladRU posted:

Thanks, what about a traditional? IRA

Should, yeah. That'll reduce your taxable income by the 0-5500 you put in.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DholmbladRU posted:

Ah, I think the problem was I did not check 'user did not have company retirement account(or similar wording)'. That flips it and I get a refund. Should be putting into an IRA anyways.

Bear in mind, you're just deferring taxes, you're not removing them. You do realize that, right? The pretax retirement dollars, you'll still have to pay taxes on them, just down the road when you're taking money out for retirement.

Not saying you shouldn't be putting money away, you definitely should, just don't treat pretax retirement benefits as tax avoidance, just deferral. Plus, of course, your income should be lower so maybe you will pay less tax.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DholmbladRU posted:

Yeah with traditional IRA you will pay tax when that money is pulled out and it will be at the current tax rate that you are at?

Yeah. Picture this: your marginal rate right now is probably 25%. So, the last 5500 of your income is being taxed at 25%, or about 1250 bucks. If you put that away into a trad IRA, you don't pay those taxes now, and let's say in 40 years you take out 20000 a year because that's how much you need to live on (random number, you'll need more because of inflation, but we're getting into who knows territory here, maybe they'll raise tax rates too). Then, your marginal rate is 15%, so instead you only have to pay 15% of that 5500, or about 800 bucks.

So, does that $550 worth of taxes really matter, over the course of 40 years? Probably not. Save for retirement because you need money for retirement and compound returns, not because of tax reasons. But if you're saving for retirement *anyway*, may as well get some tax benefit for it too.

As a note, ROTH IRA means you pay your tax rate now, but *nothing* on it or its gains when you take money out for retirement. So if the government raises tax rates to 30% for your bracket, say, then you'd be saving money that way! Not knowing which way it'll go means you should diversify, i.e. have some in traditional 401k or IRA, and some in ROTH IRA, which is generally the advice for the long term retirement thread which you should probably read all of. ;)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rule of thumb: never, ever, super ever withdraw early from retirement to buy things. Save up more, leave the retirement stuff where it belongs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So we executed a bunch of options and restricted stock units this year. We were taxed when it got them through payroll (SS, income, all the normal tax withholdings). But Fidelity just sent us 1099-B's with 0 under tax withheld and the numbers seems to be similar to (but not exactly?) the amounts we received after taxes.

Also a Supplemental Information. Which says the Supplemental Information wasn't reported to the IRS (and the 1099-B's were) and on that, the adjusted gains/losses show negative. Whereas the 1099-B's are showing a shitton of gains.

How do we report all this? We usually use TaxACT. Are we going to get double-taxed if we just input all the poo poo they said they reported?

edit: Looking over all the numbers, it looks like the primary issue we're seeing is that the cost basis on the 1099B is low or 0, whereas the correct number is listed on the supplement. Do we just...put that number in for the cost basis instead of what Fidelity reported to the IRS? Or is there some other way of handling this?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 24, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hmm. Alright, so need to wait for said statement of taxable income and/or bug my accountant department for it.

Do I input the 1099B at all? Input it, but change the cost basis? Or...what?

Oh, and thanks *very* much, really appreciate it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

fordan posted:

I believe my Fidelity statement included the taxable income for each transaction in that extra data part of their combined form, so it may be there for yours as well.

Right, what I'm asking is what I *do* with that in tax software. Just in whichever W2 box, assuming it's not in my W2 that I have yet to get?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

You can pretty safely just input the basis as $10-20 higher than the sale price (since commissions are excluded from gross proceeds on a 1099-B) for each sale. Or just wait to get a statement of taxable income to be sure.

Edit: just to be clear, this is only for stock options not RSU's. Basis for RSU's is the FMV when they vested. Consult your confirmations of release to get those basis figures (your work emailed you one each time a vesting event occurred, trust me).

Fantastic, thank you lots. I have the exact numbers for how much it was worth at time of release. My assumption is that tax act will fill out the appropriate form (schedule d) as part of filling out the 1099 so I should be all set and won't have to worry about the IRS giving us crap about the tax return having different numbers than the stuff Fidelity reported.

Thanks again!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Madbullogna posted:

There's nothing for TT, H&R, or some other random online filing software to really ask you about for your Roth IRA. You were taxed on the money already. You're all set, and won't see any tax forms from your provider until you have a distribution event.

Pretty sure taxact asks, at least.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

As a not preparer who already did his taxes, any specifics as to why this year sucks balls?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bisty Q. posted:

Tax software will handle this for you; you need to adjust the basis for your RSU sales to account for the income reported on your W-2. The 1099-Bs used to do this for you and then the IRS made them stop because gently caress you.

Yeah I'm still confused why that happened. Is it just because turbotax is genuinely evil?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Admiral101 posted:

Yeah this is an incredibly complicated question and outside the scope of the thread. Would depend on whether the cap account is on tax basis on gaap, whether there's outside basis, among other things.

Hope you have a professional.

Yeah as a layperson that sounded like "I should really hire a really good accountant and/or lawyer to make sure this is done right".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Uhhh, so PayPal just sent me 1099-K which I've never gotten from them before. It says I'm receiving it, and they're furnishing it to the IRS, because it meets the criteria of over $20k in sales and over 200 transactions. But it clearly says on the paper that I've only done $16k and 41 transactions. So why the gently caress are they doing it anyway? It's all just yard-sale type poo poo I've sold along the year, such as poo poo I bought on eBay and turned out I didn't need and sold at broke-even, more or less. Do I seriously have to explain 41 stupid things to the IRS now?

Edit: Just talked to PayPal tax department, Massachusetts passed a law requiring PayPal to narc you if you got over $600 from them. They confirmed it is still only sent to the Feds if you break $20k+200x. Sooo... I guess I can tell Massachusetts that it's just occasional person-to-person non-business sales (which it is) and should be considered yard sales, which according to Mass.gov are non-taxable? http://blog.mass.gov/revenue/current-affairs-2/no-sales-tax-due-on-yard-sale-items/

Do you run a fb financial group lol someone on there was complaining bitterly about it. I'm interested in the answer so I can send it along.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Get in the game

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah basically the only time MFJ isn't absolutely worth it tax wise is if you have two earners that are kind of right below a bracket increase, so combining makes some of the combined income above that line since it's not a straight 2x.

The tax system was written to incentivize women staying home and not earning any income and taking care of the kids.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

How much did you pay in taxes last year vs this year? Strictly speaking, how much your refund/bill is has no actual bearing on that question.

(they mucked with the withholdings to make peoples' paychecks look higher, producing this exact effect, which is why I ask)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

black.lion posted:

My understanding is that it's legit, but maybe a little janky/effortful - I've not used it but have a few clients who have asked about it and that's their opinion.

Free tax tools should be getting beefed up after this year though, hopefully: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/01/after-turbotax-shenanigans-irs-floats-possibility-of-offering-rival-service/

Intuit hid their free file option from Google despite that being the entire reason the irs was leaving them alone? Pure greed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

...why do you think the tax system remains complicated, despite massive calls for simplification and politicians promising to help?

edit: the tax prep industry has a massive lobby. They do everything in their power to prevent the government from simplifying things or offering free options. They thrive on complexity.

Oh I know all that. I didn't know that they had agreed to give people free filing with some limits, and then work hard to make sure people didn't even see those options.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

As a software dev and YOSPOS regular I should have remembered the fundamental truth that Computers And Programming Are Terrible, forget Congress' "help". :sigh:

Computers
And
Programming
Terrible
Congress's
Help
Ah

I guess that's what it stands for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Using freetax USA if you have espp stuff is inviting a huge tax liability. TurboTax actually has a workflow for it that gets it all correct, freetaxusa you have to know how to adjust it all yourself and even some paid cpa preparers get that wrong.

Same statement but employer stock stock options.

Must it be TurboTax or it's just this double counting thing? I don't have my tax docs for the year, obviously, but it feels pretty doom and gloom to say that TurboTax is that important. Is the info at https://thefinancebuff.com/espp-sales-adjust-cost-basis-freetaxusa.html sufficient to go on with? I don't want to have that extra tax liability for no reason, but also really, really hate TurboTax a lot.