Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«191 »
Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

I made a MLB Book Thread for discussing good baseball books http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3395398

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

slurp

Oodles of Wootles posted:

The Tigers are matched up with the DBacks for some stupid reason

Scheduler is a Tigers fan?

mt1
Mar 5, 2007

Is a man on 3rd allowed to steal home while the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher? For example, runner on 3rd gets a good lead. The pitcher delivers a called strike, and the catcher tosses it back to the pitcher. Can the man on 3rd take off and try to steal home during this?

Have any no-hitters or perfect games been won with a bottom 9th walkoff? Home team pitcher goes 9 no-hit innings, but his team dosent score until the 9th.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Type 'iddqd' into the console to enable Beast Mode.

So I went to a dinner for an invited speaker, and one of the faculty members there bet I could not explain baseball to my advisor in a 90 minutes, well enough that he could watch an entire game and understand what was going on. My advisor is Russian.

Anyone have a good resource for this? I think I could do it myself, but I'm just wondering if someone has already done this on the internet.

stuart scott irl
Mar 9, 2007

mt1 posted:

Is a man on 3rd allowed to steal home while the catcher is throwing the ball back to the pitcher? For example, runner on 3rd gets a good lead. The pitcher delivers a called strike, and the catcher tosses it back to the pitcher. Can the man on 3rd take off and try to steal home during this?

Yep, Jayson Werth did it against the Dodgers in 2009.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4532863

He said later it was mainly enabled by the catcher not even looking at him between pitches; he was able to get a big lead and time it right.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

stuart scott irl posted:

Yep, Jayson Werth did it against the Dodgers in 2009.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4532863

He said later it was mainly enabled by the catcher not even looking at him between pitches; he was able to get a big lead and time it right.

To clarify, although I know he was asking about specific cases where the ball stays live, if the ball goes dead because of a foul ball or other circumstance, it's not live again until the pitcher steps on the rubber, so that wouldn't be possible (I think). Probably obvious but yeah.

AtomicBolt
Jul 19, 2005

Instead of throwing a hand grenade, throw a small pumpkin. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they're thinking, throw a real grenade at them.

OdinsBeard posted:

So I went to a dinner for an invited speaker, and one of the faculty members there bet I could not explain baseball to my advisor in a 90 minutes, well enough that he could watch an entire game and understand what was going on. My advisor is Russian.

Anyone have a good resource for this? I think I could do it myself, but I'm just wondering if someone has already done this on the internet.

After explaining the basics, and he says "this is the stupidest sport ever", you could introduce an expert of the game - specifically, Goofy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQ83_4RdkA

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Baseball is a hard sport to explain, not even because it's super intellectual or anything, it's just kind of convoluted. Obviously you would start with the object of the game being to touch all four bases, thereby scoring a point, but where do you go from there? There are so many retarded little things about when you can and can't advance that it can become confusing for a newcomer within seconds. Baseball is a lot easier to pick up just by watching and playing it as a kid.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

AtomicBolt posted:

After explaining the basics, and he says "this is the stupidest sport ever", you could introduce an expert of the game - specifically, Goofy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQ83_4RdkA

Holy poo poo, old Disney shorts are on youtube, how did I not know about this already?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One in the pink

I had to explain baseball to a couple of Icelanders who had never seen the game, and I found it was easy to explain as you watched. It begins to make intuitive sense after awhile.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

"He's a great baker. He's Betty Crocker. He makes the best peanut butter cookies ever."

OdinsBeard posted:

"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes, you win. Sometimes, you lose. Sometimes, it rains. Think about that for a while."

Speaking of, we haven't covered essential baseball movies. I think Bull Durham and Major League should be mandatory viewing.

Something like "The pitcher tries to throw the ball so the batter can't hit it. The batter tries to hit the ball so the fielders can't catch it. If he gets around the bases, he gets a point. The team with the most points win" seems like a good place to start.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 07:37

Tim McCarver
Apr 1, 2007

Do you think Lidge still has the taste of that Pujols homer in his mouth? I don't think that taste is there.

mt1 posted:

Mt5, to answer your question we have to think about what constitutes a "live" ball. Now, a ball is "live" at any time that the ball is in play. That includes when the ball is pitched, and that includes when the catcher tosses it back to the pitcher. So in short, Mt5, yes. A runner on third may attempt a steal in that scenario, though it would be a very difficult play to pull off. One player who I think could do it, though, who I had the honor to play with?

Curt Flood.

Great, great runner.

trillocity
Apr 16, 2008

Why hasn't the MLB set a standard for stadium specifications? If I had to guess, I'd say it's because all the old stadiums like Fenway and Wrigley were different, and none of them would change. Surely it benefits a team to play to their stadiums strengths? Shouldn't the MLB want to even the playing field so all teams are equal?

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

Gee Wizard posted:

Why hasn't the MLB set a standard for stadium specifications? If I had to guess, I'd say it's because all the old stadiums like Fenway and Wrigley were different, and none of them would change. Surely it benefits a team to play to their stadiums strengths? Shouldn't the MLB want to even the playing field so all teams are equal?

edit: sorry for sarcasm

I think you hit the nail on the head with the home-field advantage part. I'm sure teams like having that, even if it means not having it the other half of the season. That, and I'm sure since baseball has always been played on unique fields the current administration of the MLB doesn't see a reason to change, and this is a case where I think they are wise in not doing so.

danifestmestny fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 08:10

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gee Wizard posted:

Even if you dimensionally made the fields the same size, there are other park factors that exist. Wind is a big one - in Seattle, the wind tends to blow out to RF and kill the drives of RHB, so even if you made the field dimensionally the same as any other field, it would still play to favor LHB and suppress RHB power. Or you could consider the difference of hitting in the thinner, higher air of Colorado (or the dry air of Arizona) versus hitting in the humid soup of Miami or the colder and denser air of Seattle or Boston.

Unless you wanted to make all the stadiums climate controlled domes, you'll never eliminate park factors, so why not embrace them? Because climate controlled domes suck bigtime.

stuart scott irl
Mar 9, 2007

Funky outfield dimensions are just another cool little thing that sets baseball apart from most other sports, I think it's a good thing and that's the general sentiment, I think it's fair to say.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

10 bucks says I'm safe

e: whoops wrong thread

the popes toes fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 13:32

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

stuart scott irl posted:

Funky outfield dimensions are just another cool little thing that sets baseball apart from most other sports, I think it's a good thing and that's the general sentiment, I think it's fair to say.

I agree with that. The only quirky things I don't like about parks are things like the hill in CF at Minute Maid or other obstructions being in play.

edit: On Earl Weaver Baseball I always used to create a stadium where every dimension of the outfield would alternate being as far away as allowed and as close as allowed. The outfield wall looked like a shark's mouth. I think the walls were 30' tall, too

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT DOING HOOKERS AND BLOW AND WINNING SUPERBOWLS

Gee Wizard posted:

Baseball was a game originally played in open fields and parkland. There were no dimensions save where the bases were in relation to each other.

A home run was a ball that was hit so far over the head of the fielder it took longer for the fielder to chase it down and throw it back in then it took the batter to run the bases.

Outfield fences only really came about once the game was professionalized (ie people became interested in gambling on the outcomes) promoters realized they could sell tickets and needed a wall to keep the non-paying customers out.

Even then, sometimes they only built stands behind the infield and let people mill about on the edge of the outfield grass.

As demand led to more standing room crowds then they had space for, new bigger stadiums were built.

Since they were building parks in the hearts of cities they had to work with the land available to them. Places like Fenway and Wrigly were an offshoot of needing to squeeze a ballpark onto an exisiting plot of land flanked by streets/trolly tracks. Other stadiums of that era had massive outfields (by todays standards) Yankee Stadium was build on a vast empty lot and was 490' to center field. Shibe Park (home of the Philadelphia A's) was 515. Places like the Polo Grounds were 480' to dead center (but 250/270 down the lines). Over the years the outfields have been getting smaller and smaller.

Dimensions in pro baseball have always been wonky and probably will always will be.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 13:58

stuart scott irl
Mar 9, 2007

Someone should post that awesome website with all of the ballpark diagrams, I forget the link

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT DOING HOOKERS AND BLOW AND WINNING SUPERBOWLS

stuart scott irl posted:

Someone should post that awesome website with all of the ballpark diagrams, I forget the link

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/Stadium_lists.html

http://www.stadiumpage.com/ - lots of photos of new and old parks

davecrazy fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 13:55

Abel Wingnut
Dec 23, 2002

davecrazy posted:

Good luck with a liner in foul territory.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Does anyone know enough about Pitch f/x to explain what we are learning from it so far (other than the fact that umps suck)? I am trying to read this primer: http://fastballs.wordpress.com/2010...itchfx-primer/. It's really in depth but gently caress me if it isn't dense and hard to read as hell.

I know what Pitch f/x is and what it might be able to do. What I want to know is what we are learning from it or what we have learned so far. I hear that some people think it will actually show that some pitches (and you have to take location, pitch type, break, etc. into account) may actually correspond with batted ball outs more than others.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Here comes the hook.

tadashi posted:

Looking through some of the better rookies last year:
Tyler Colvin - skipped AAA

Colvin needs a year at AAA to learn how to TAKE A loving WALK.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Here stands baseball's perfect warrior.

Here stands baseball's perfect knight.

tadashi posted:

Does anyone know enough about Pitch f/x to explain what we are learning from it so far (other than the fact that umps suck)? I am trying to read this primer: http://fastballs.wordpress.com/2010...itchfx-primer/. It's really in depth but gently caress me if it isn't dense and hard to read as hell.

I know what Pitch f/x is and what it might be able to do. What I want to know is what we are learning from it or what we have learned so far. I hear that some people think it will actually show that some pitches (and you have to take location, pitch type, break, etc. into account) may actually correspond with batted ball outs more than others.

It could be used if Pitcher X has an insane start to the season. You could look at the movement charts to see if his stuff has actually improved or if it's just a small sample size fluke.

I CHALLENGE THEE
Aug 25, 2005

kirk gibson is a piece of shit

tadashi posted:

From first hand experience working with pitch f/x, it's a really handy tool in differentiating the subtle differences that pitchers throw. It's makes life a lot easier compared to having to eyeball everything, plus as Groucho said it also allows people to digest vast amounts of pitching information relatively quickly and easily. It's a neat tool to be able to use with some real applications in player evaluation

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

10 bucks says I'm safe

tadashi posted:

What I want to know is what we are learning from it or what we have learned so far.
I've already posted this earlier. Despite the small sample size, it provides corroboration to the complaint that if we look at Cervelli's framing, Posada fares poorly in comparison. Posada isn't getting the strikes.

This makes me wonder if AJ Burnett really did have a beef with Posada.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Has the idea of a team getting "lucky" in the sense that it'll face other team's #3,4,5 guys a good deal of time vs facing teams Ace and #2 guys over the course of a season ever been researched? I realize it's complete luck of the draw with absolute no control, but it seems like a reason why teams who are playing over their heads are in that position.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the popes toes posted:

I've already posted this earlier. Despite the small sample size, it provides corroboration to the complaint that if we look at Cervelli's framing, Posada fares poorly in comparison. Posada isn't getting the strikes.

This makes me wonder if AJ Burnett really did have a beef with Posada.

Can you slow down that GIF?

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can you slow down that GIF?

real slow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tales of Woe
Dec 17, 2004

TUS posted:

Has the idea of a team getting "lucky" in the sense that it'll face other team's #3,4,5 guys a good deal of time vs facing teams Ace and #2 guys over the course of a season ever been researched? I realize it's complete luck of the draw with absolute no control, but it seems like a reason why teams who are playing over their heads are in that position.

It's hard to do any rigorous study of this in terms of #1-5 pitchers because usually by mid-season most teams' rotations will have been thrown completely out of whack and they're no longer ordered best-to-worst in that way. For example, if their #2 gets injured and needs a replacement called up from AAA then suddenly their worst pitcher is the the so-called #2 spot. Or a '#4' pitcher could have a breakout season and end up being the best guy on the team, etc etc.

What you could do maybe is average the year-to-date (or projected) xFIP or ERA of all opposing starters a team has faced that year. I don't know if any of the stat sites have 'quality of competition' stats like this yet though.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Tiny Torso posted:

It's hard to do any rigorous study of this in terms of #1-5 pitchers because usually by mid-season most teams' rotations will have been thrown completely out of whack and they're no longer ordered best-to-worst in that way. For example, if their #2 gets injured and needs a replacement called up from AAA then suddenly their worst pitcher is the the so-called #2 spot. Or a '#4' pitcher could have a breakout season and end up being the best guy on the team, etc etc.

What you could do maybe is average the year-to-date (or projected) xFIP or ERA of all opposing starters a team has faced that year. I don't know if any of the stat sites have 'quality of competition' stats like this yet though.

Baseball Prospectus has a link to 'adjusted standings' on the top of the page (free if you're not a subscriber, I think), and it has three records for every team. 1st order is basic Pythagorean record. 2nd order adjusts runs scored/allowed for peripherals and then takes the Pythagorean of that. 3rd order adjusts the 2nd order for strength of schedule.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Colvin needs a year at AAA to learn how to TAKE A loving WALK.

If OBP is so important, why isn't it on the scoreboard?

Politicalrancor fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 19:26

ozymandius1024
Mar 14, 2006

Santa Cam bringing fake smiles for all the good little boys and girls

Politicalfrancouer posted:

If OBP is so important, why isn't on the scoreboard?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

10 bucks says I'm safe

You can't wOBA off the island.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TUS posted:

I wonder if you could do like ERA (or run predictor of your choice) vs that team, and compare it to league pitching average or team by team averages.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Can anybody recommend any baseball columnists or blogs? I've generally stuck to ESPN's Sweetspot (it's okay), Joe Pos (rules) and Jeff Passan (meh). I'm thinking this season I should probably expand my reading habits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NBC's HardballTalk blog is pretty solid. Don't read the comments (as usual).

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

barkingclam posted:

Can anybody recommend any baseball columnists or blogs? I've generally stuck to ESPN's Sweetspot (it's okay), Joe Pos (rules) and Jeff Passan (meh). I'm thinking this season I should probably expand my reading habits.

Rob Neyer
http://www.sbnation.com/authors/rob-neyer

Hardball Talk
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/ (Especially Aaron Gleeman and especially especially Craig Calcaterra. They produce the vast majority of the content anyway)

Jonah Keri
I cautiously recommend Jonah's Fangraphs work.
Do not read other Fangraphs articles
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php?author=20153

Hardball Times
http://www.hardballtimes.com/

Badfinger fucked around with this message at Mar 9, 2011 around 22:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Badfinger posted:

Rob Neyer
http://www.sbnation.com/authors/rob-neyer

Hardball Talk
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/ (Especially Aaron Gleeman and especially especially Craig Calcaterra)

Jonah Keri
I cautiously recommend Jonah's Fangraphs work.
Do not read other Fangraphs articles
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php?author=20153

Hardball Times
http://www.hardballtimes.com/

I'm really surprised Jonah writes for them but I money is money, I guess.

«191 »