Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«191 »
leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Well I had to phone his friend to state my case, and say he's lost control again.

And he showed up all the errors and mistakes, and said I've lost control again.

barkingclam posted:

Can anybody recommend any baseball columnists or blogs? I've generally stuck to ESPN's Sweetspot (it's okay), Joe Pos (rules) and Jeff Passan (meh). I'm thinking this season I should probably expand my reading habits.

Jack Curry http://www.myyesnetwork.com/16197/blog/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I wish someone would put an island in the middle of center field where if the ball landed there it was a home run.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

the popes toes posted:

You can't wOBA off the island.

hehehe

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

it's not an island, but Tampa had the dreaded catwalk, which I think was hilarious as a non-ray's fan.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

"He's a great baker. He's Betty Crocker. He makes the best peanut butter cookies ever."

I like reading Keith Law, but I also enjoy his foodchat, gamechat, and being an incredibly snarky dickhead to idiot fans, so ymmv.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I wish someone would put an island in the middle of center field where if the ball landed there it was a home run.

Every center fielder would just stand by the island. Although it would probably cause a lot of hilarious inside the park home runs when they trip over the hill, so it could still work out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Aetilus posted:

it's not an island, but Tampa had the dreaded catwalk, which I think was hilarious as a non-ray's fan.

I'm down with this as long as if it rolls off the island it's a foul ball. And so that players could reach the island in an attempt to blow the ball off of it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

Advice from above

I never really cared about baseball growing up but after moving to Texas and going to a ton of Astros games (you think YOUR nosebleed tickets are cheap), I'd like to get into baseball some more and learn more about the intricacies of the game. I don't really have any team to root for, but that's not what I'm interested in right now. I'll find one. Probably the Astros ( ). But since I'm trying to watch more baseball this year, I'd like to figure out some teams that are going to be fun to follow, whether because of some young guns, some horrific flaw so that every game has the possibility of becoming a trainwreck (like whenever the Diamondbacks reached into their bullpen last season), or because they're just fun to watch, and stick with them through the season, win or lose.

Give me some teams and tell me why they'd be fun to follow.

Arctic Baldwin
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

This seems as good a place as any; is there a website that is the baseball equivalent of KSK? Funny, sometimes stupid but generally entertaining?

The Giants are fun to watch if you like good pitching and goofy swing at everything 3rdbasemen. And you aren't annoyed by Brian Wilson yet.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The Orioles are not by any means going to be a GOOD team. Their pitching is too bad to be salvageable by anything other than a complete overhaul.

But they are going to loving hit this year. Entertaining as hell.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

This seems as good a place as any; is there a website that is the baseball equivalent of KSK? Funny, sometimes stupid but generally entertaining?

If you can tolerate the fact that the site is no longer updating, this is the holy grail of baseball make-funnering.

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/

Arctic Baldwin
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I keep intending to get Twitter if only to follow Ken Tremendous. I still read FJM when I am bored

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

I usually latch on to specific players, especially pitchers, whom I like to watch. Felix Hernandez and Ichiro make the Mariners an occasional watch. I'll probably end up watching a lot of Phillies games if I get mlb.tv just to see what that rotation can do.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I never really cared about baseball growing up but after moving to Texas and going to a ton of Astros games (you think YOUR nosebleed tickets are cheap), I'd like to get into baseball some more and learn more about the intricacies of the game. I don't really have any team to root for, but that's not what I'm interested in right now. I'll find one. Probably the Astros ( ). But since I'm trying to watch more baseball this year, I'd like to figure out some teams that are going to be fun to follow, whether because of some young guns, some horrific flaw so that every game has the possibility of becoming a trainwreck (like whenever the Diamondbacks reached into their bullpen last season), or because they're just fun to watch, and stick with them through the season, win or lose.

The Rangers have a really good offense and play in a very hitter-friendly park. You'll probably get to catch a few games on your local Fox Sports channel. I know we occasionally get a few Astros games in DFW on our FSN channel when the Rangers aren't playing.

Tales of Woe
Dec 17, 2004

if you're just looking for a team to bandwagon but not become a long term fan of, I think the Marlins are gonna be fun to watch. Mike Stanton hits the ball absurdly hard when he makes contact and could be a 40HR guy as soon as this year, Logan Morrison was looking like an on-base machine in his debut last year, they've got a legit ace in Josh Johnson and 2 more good power pitchers in Nolasco and Sanchez. Hanley's pretty good too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Tiny Torso posted:

Hanley's pretty good too.

I know he had a down year last season but this is a crazy understatement. Dude's 27 and has a .905 career OPS as a shortstop, and that's without playing half his games in Coors like Tulo does. Hanley owns.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2011 around 09:31

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

ozymandius1024 posted:

The book is great, and the movie has a good chance of being quality. Reasons?

1. The only major film that Bennett Miller (the director) ever did was Capote. This would be a bad thing if that was a lovely movie, but it was pretty great so I've got hope.

2. Philip Seymour Hoffman is Art Howe. This needs no explanation because it's too hilarious for words.

3. Brad Pitt is playing Billy Beane. We can only hope he'll be rearranging some furniture over one Jeremy Bonderman.

4. Jonah Hill is playing a skinny/nerdy Paul DePodesta (the character's name was changed to Peter Brand, because I'm sure Paul wanted nothing to do with it). Jonah Hill. Skinny guy.

5. Steve Zaillan (Schindler's List, Gangs of New York, American Gangster) and Aaron Sorkin (Aaron loving Sorkin) had their hands in writing the screenplay.

So good director, good actors, great writers, and a great story.

We're all going to be there on the Opening Night, and the movie's going to blow.

If feels like an eternity since the last good baseball movie. Here's to hoping it doesn't suck. I remember my grandparents taking me to see The Sandlot when I was a little kid. Such fond memories.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I'm down with this as long as if it rolls off the island it's a foul ball. And so that players could reach the island in an attempt to blow the ball off of it.

Also, the island should move through time and space so that you're never really sure when it will be in your park but through statistical analysis, you may be able to predict when the opportunity might arise and on what trajectory you should hit the ball.

Combo
Aug 18, 2003

Tiny Torso posted:

if you're just looking for a team to bandwagon but not become a long term fan of, I think the Marlins are gonna be fun to watch. Mike Stanton hits the ball absurdly hard when he makes contact and could be a 40HR guy as soon as this year, Logan Morrison was looking like an on-base machine in his debut last year, they've got a legit ace in Josh Johnson and 2 more good power pitchers in Nolasco and Sanchez. Hanley's pretty good too.

Yeah I'm going to be watching a lot of Mike Stanton this year, his power is pretty insane.

trillocity
Apr 16, 2008

What are some of the differences between the two leagues, other than rules? Which is more known for hitting? Pitching? Maybe fielding? Things along those lines would be interesting to read about.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Well I had to phone his friend to state my case, and say he's lost control again.

And he showed up all the errors and mistakes, and said I've lost control again.

The AL has the DH because they realized nobody wants to see pitchers trying to hit.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Gee Wizard posted:

What are some of the differences between the two leagues, other than rules? Which is more known for hitting? Pitching? Maybe fielding? Things along those lines would be interesting to read about.

The AL typically has more offense because of the DH. Similarly, the NL is regarded as more of a pitchers league because they don't have a DH. I've never heard of a differentiation between fielding in leagues, unless people decide that the NL has better fielders because there are less runs (because there is no DH).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

"HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE POOR, MOTHERFUCKER?

leokitty posted:

The AL has the DH because they realized nobody wants to see pitchers trying to hit.

And because they were late the latin american and negro player party

jeffersonlives
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Oodles of Wootles posted:

The AL typically has more offense because of the DH. Similarly, the NL is regarded as more of a pitchers league because they don't have a DH. I've never heard of a differentiation between fielding in leagues, unless people decide that the NL has better fielders because there are less runs (because there is no DH).

The NL has historically been a bit more of a speed and fielding league, even going back before the DH, for a variety of small and largely institutional reasons.

trillocity
Apr 16, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

The NL has historically been a bit more of a speed and fielding league, even going back before the DH, for a variety of small and largely institutional reasons.

Like what? Is this some kind of self-perpetuating cycle, where you need speed to compete against the other teams?

jeffersonlives
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gee Wizard posted:

Like what? Is this some kind of self-perpetuating cycle, where you need speed to compete against the other teams?

- The aforementioned tilting of minority players to the NL, which didn't really even itself out until the 70s and 80s.
- Parks more conducive to small ball in the NL.
- Money. Players have been paid on dingers and ribbies for 85 or 90 years, and even just one team spending a lot more to get those guys (read: the Yankees) can tilt things.
- Just random luck. The NL has ended up with a lot of generational pitchers and the AL has ended up with a lot of generational sluggers over the course of baseball history.
- AL teams exploiting the efficiency of walk and dinger guys better.
- A bit of what you're suggesting, that at some point it just became The Way and conventional wisdom led teams to build "NL style" in the NL and "AL style" in the AL.

Most of these effects have washed out, and much of the difference that is left is indeed an illusion created by the DH.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

I know most of us already know that speed is an overblown concept in baseball, but wasn't there a study showing that speed has basically zero correlation to team success?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

A drat FOG posted:

I know most of us already know that speed is an overblown concept in baseball, but wasn't there a study showing that speed has basically zero correlation to team success?

It comes down to run expectancy, or the likelihood that you will score a run in a given situation. Here is the Baseball Prospectus Run Expectancy matrix from 1999-2002, with the top row representing outs and the left column representing base runners :

code:
RE 99-02 0 	1 	2
Empty 	0.555 	0.297 	0.117
1st 	0.953 	0.573 	0.251
2nd 	1.189 	0.725 	0.344
3rd 	1.482 	0.983 	0.387
1st_2nd 1.573 	0.971 	0.466
1st_3rd 1.904 	1.243 	0.538
2nd_3rd 2.052 	1.467 	0.634
Loaded 	2.417 	1.65 	0.815 
As you can see, moving the runner from first to second with 0 outs adds only .236 to run expectancy but if you add an out and remove the runner from first, you lose .656 in run expectancy.

Likewise, moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd with no outs, you only add .293 versus the .892 run expectancy you shave off if that runner is out.

You could also look at win probability in which the stakes are even higher.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Type 'iddqd' into the console to enable Beast Mode.

A drat FOG posted:

The run expectancy tables show why speed is overrated (by the way, has anyone made updated run expectancy tables? The one above is now 8 years old and it the same table everyone seems to post) but I do remember that Paul Depodesta had a fact on his blog: teams that out-homer their opponents more often than not are winning teams, and there's no correlation between out-stealing your opponent and winning.

edit: Here are tables for many time periods, including 1993-2010.
http://tangotiger.net/re24.html

If anyone has one for 2002-2010, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

OdinsBeard fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2011 around 20:45

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Type 'iddqd' into the console to enable Beast Mode.

I also want a three dimensional run expectancy table that breaks each situation down by line up position.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I have an "options" question-

From what I've read, Brent Lillibridge is out of options with the White Sox. Now I just want to make sure I understand this concept because it's pretty much the only thing that confuses me- he HAS to be on the 25 man roster, right? That is, if he weren't to make the team, he has to clear waivers in order to be sent down to the minors? And since non-waiver trades are in force, can a team just grab him from the wire without having to make a deal with Chicago? Or does the waiver rule apply 365?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Yeah, if someone could explain options to me in a dumbed-down manner I'd appreciate it as well

edit: Also, it seems like the guys who go to college for awhile have a harder, less patient road to go through in order to reach the majors. If the team signs some 17 year old kid and throws him in rookie ball, he has like 6 years to make it worth his and their while in the long run. If you draft a 22 year old college senior, in 3 or 4 years he'll already be considered a AAAA player because of his age so if he doesn't figure things out soon, he's poo poo out of luck. That's how it seems to me, anyway. So why do so many guys choose going to school over trying their hand at baseball? Is there a breakdown of the percentages of guys that make it out of high school and out of college? Is Beane the only one that tried to exploit that market inefficiency in the draft by going after older guys and did it work?

BIZORT fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2011 around 21:15

Bumming Your Scene
Dec 29, 2004

L.A. Beast Mode of Anaheim

leokitty posted:

Jay Mohr, of all people, said the NL is better because watching pitchers try to bat is the most entertaining part of a game.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

All your base, now belongs to me.

Gee Wizard posted:

The National League is God's True Form of Baseball. The Devil has possessed the American League with it's foul creation, the Designated Hitter.

trillocity
Apr 16, 2008

Okay, I'm fully on board the baseball train. My local team is the Rockies, who I know have a few young promising players, like Ubaldo Jimenez, Carlos Gonzalez, and Troy Tulowitzki. Plus, I get to skip all of the tortured-fan bullshit by jumping on board now

Is there anything I should know about the team, either in its present form or historically? Are there any negative perceptions of Rockies fans? (Probably not, but I want to make sure I meet them if there are)

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

JediGandalf posted:

The National League is God's True Form of Baseball. The Devil has possessed the American League with it's foul creation, the Designated Hitter.

why did god intend for his teams to give up 3 free outs a game?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Because it's funny to see Randy Johnson bat

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Seeing AL pitchers try to hit in interleague play is always hilarious.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Gee Wizard posted:

Okay, I'm fully on board the baseball train. My local team is the Rockies, who I know have a few young promising players, like Ubaldo Jimenez, Carlos Gonzalez, and Troy Tulowitzki. Plus, I get to skip all of the tortured-fan bullshit by jumping on board now

Is there anything I should know about the team, either in its present form or historically? Are there any negative perceptions of Rockies fans? (Probably not, but I want to make sure I meet them if there are)

Before 2007, when the Rockies had an incredible run of like 20 wins in 21 games to make the playoffs by a single game (I think) Rockies fans were perceived as Broncos fans with nothing to do in the summer, but since then they've had a pretty solid fanbase for obvious reasons.

In the '90s, the Rockies were known for having a bunch of dudes who hit a bunch of home runs, Larry Walker, Andres Galarraga, Vinny Castilla, Dante Bichette and Ellis Burks. Most of those guys turned out to actually be pretty mediocre/bad and a lot of their performance was due to Coors field. You probably know this by now, but Coors has a reputation as a major hitters' park, because it is. Right now it's one of the top 3 or so hitters' parks in the league, but in the '90s, before the humidor, it was even more insanely skewed toward hitters.

Speaking of Coors, there's a decent chance that Carlos Gonzalez isn't really that good. The media has a love affair with him because he's from a young upstart team and he's viewed as "toolsy" (power, contact, speed, defense all together), but he had a huge home/away split last year. Similarly, Ubaldo Jimenez had a pretty near historic start to last year where he gave up like three loving runs in 10 starts or some poo poo like that, but he's not actually *that* good. He's good though. Tulo is golden though, he's a top player in the game without a doubt.

Finally, your team has a reputation for being run by evangelical fundamentalist Christians, and sometimes people make jokes about that. That's all I can think of.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

BIZORT posted:

Yeah, if someone could explain options to me in a dumbed-down manner I'd appreciate it as well

To borrow from Purple Row (http://www.purplerow.com/2009/2/12/...ctions-part-two)

An option year is used:

-If a player is on the 40-man roster in spring training but optioned to the minors before the season begins.
-If a player is sent down to the minors during the regular season--even if a player broke camp with the team

However, an option year is NOT used:

-If a player is not sent to the minors during a year (obviously).
-If a player’s optional assignment(s) to the minors total less than 20 days in one season. However, this is very unlikely to happen as a minimum assignment is ten days.
-If they are called up in September, because during September the 40 man roster is technically the active roster.

TUS posted:

I have an "options" question-

From what I've read, Brent Lillibridge is out of options with the White Sox. Now I just want to make sure I understand this concept because it's pretty much the only thing that confuses me- he HAS to be on the 25 man roster, right? That is, if he weren't to make the team, he has to clear waivers in order to be sent down to the minors? And since non-waiver trades are in force, can a team just grab him from the wire without having to make a deal with Chicago? Or does the waiver rule apply 365?

You are correct in that, because he is pre-free-agency-eligible with his contract purchased by a Major League club, his contract requires that he be on the 25-man, unless he clears waivers. Then, he can be sent anywhere. Upon recall, the cycle resets and he must clear waivers again to be sent down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

King

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Seeing AL pitchers try to hit in interleague play is always hilarious.

Counterpoint

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=2991136

«191 »