Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«191 »
isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Lungboy posted:

If i was only able to ever go to one park in baseball, which should i choose? I keep hearing that PNC is supposed to be awesome, is that true and are there better?

While I can attest that PNC is the nicest park I've been too, I think if you can only go to one it'd be cool to make it like Fenway or Wrigley or something historic like that even though they're massive pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Maybe factor in that i'd be coming on holiday from the UK, so somewhere that was also a nice place to visit for a week or 2 would be good. My dream is to oneday do all 30 on a roadtrip, but it'll probably never happen.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Go ahead and rule out PNC then because Pittsburgh ain't exactly a tourists dream.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Lungboy posted:

Maybe factor in that i'd be coming on holiday from the UK, so somewhere that was also a nice place to visit for a week or 2 would be good. My dream is to oneday do all 30 on a roadtrip, but it'll probably never happen.

Pittsburgh is nice but there is certainly not a week's worth of stuff there, so if that's your criteria you are better off with Wrigley or Fenway

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

HISTORY!

Or AT&T, San Francisco is really nice

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

What about the Rogers Centre? Toronto sounds like a pretty nice place to visit, and I think the mrs might be up for that. She'd probably agree to San Fran too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One in the pink

My offer to take you to Yankee Stadium if you come to NYC stands!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

zakharov posted:

My offer to take you to Yankee Stadium if you come to NYC stands!

That's extremely kind of you, and i'll definitely take you up on it if i find myself in NYC. It certainly won't be this year, but next is a possibility.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Target loving Field.

except the team sucks now

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Well I had to phone his friend to state my case, and say he's lost control again.

And he showed up all the errors and mistakes, and said I've lost control again.

If you don't mind bouncing around you can do something like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh over the course of a week.

My trip went like this:

pre:
Day 1   NYC -> CIN
Day 2-3 2 games in CIN
Day 3   CIN -> PIT
Day 4-5 2 games in PIT
Day 6   Back home to NYC
Of course getting another person to agree to a CIN/PIT trip is not easy

leokitty fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 00:35

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If it worked out with home dates you could do New York, Philly, Pittsburgh and Cleveland or Toronto in a week easy.

Or NY -> Philly -> Washington DC

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I want to go to AT&T Park before I die which just looks like an awesome place to catch a game

AT&T is a great park, though I think it's a step below PNC. Also if anyone's ever in the area, I'll gladly go to a game with you.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

In the span of a week and a half, I flew into Milwaukee and did this:

MIL -> CHW
CHW -> CLE
CLE -> DET
DET -> CHC
CHC -> MIN (this was the longest drive)

And then flew into St. Louis for New Busch before heading home.

Could've easily fit in PIT and CIN if the timing worked out, but they were out of town at two crucial points.

I've wanted to do a southern states one:

STL -> KC -> Arlington -> Houston

All four have gorgeous parks.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Lungboy posted:

What about the Rogers Centre? Toronto sounds like a pretty nice place to visit, and I think the mrs might be up for that. She'd probably agree to San Fran too.

I had thought Rogers Centre was considered to be awful.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lungboy posted:

It's pretty painfully out of date. It was cutting edge when it opened in 1989 and rocking when the Blue Jays were good. Then Camden Yards opened in Baltimore and ushered in the faux retro era of ballpark design.

That being said, you might enjoy the spectacle of staying at the hotel that overlooks the field. Those rooms aren't cheap but they are incredibly unique.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is a great place to catch a game provided you don't go to a day game past April.

I CHALLENGE THEE
Aug 25, 2005

kirk gibson is a piece of shit

Mornacale posted:

AT&T is a great park, though I think it's a step below PNC. Also if anyone's ever in the area, I'll gladly go to a game with you.

The only problem is that he's coming from overseas. San Fran owns... Pittsburgh on the other hand is Scranton but bigger

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

My driving baseball trips went like this:

NH -> CT -> NYC -> Pitt -> Home

NH -> CT -> NYC ->Philly -> Balt -> DC -> Home

NH -> CT -> Cinn -> Chi -> Mil -> Chi -> Det -> Cle -> Home

(I live in NH, my friend who I went with lives in CT. The longest trip was probably 10 days, tops)

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

"He's a great baker. He's Betty Crocker. He makes the best peanut butter cookies ever."

I'm actually planning to go up to Arlington before the ungodly Texas summer. But I'll probably wear my Durham Bulls cap rather than my Yankees cap.

I could go see the Astros but lol.

Of the major league parks I've been to:

AT&T is very scenic and a great experience with a crowd louder than you'd think a bunch of yuppies could get.

Coors Field is a lot of fun and incredibly cheap. It's been a few years but I could get Club Level seats just beside the press box for $50. Because I am the 1%.

Turner Field is okay but like anywhere at all in Atlanta, getting there is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Minor league parks:

The Durham Bulls Park (the new one, not the old one where you will get murdered after dark) is really nice and an experience since they get into the Bull Durham thing a lot.

Wherever the SJ Giants play is like a kinda rundown carnival midway but nice and cheap.

Wherever the Greensboro Grasshoppers play is a hoot but man, you are in rednecktopia. Between-innings entertainment is frequently a guy in overalls doing a yokel dance to Cotton-Eyed Joe and it doesn't look like he's in a costume.

Don't go to a New Orleans Zephyrs game. That is my advice to you. You will die and the players hate it there.

I don't remember much about the minor league games because I'm usually pretty drunk except a couple of them have gone into extra innings because none of the pitchers can throw a strike and none of the hitters can hit and the loudest cheer came when someone finally got a lead and the final out. I do remember several games of heckling BJ Upton when he was with the Bulls on his way up.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 03:40

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Best thing to do is to go see an A's game first, then see the Giants. The contrast alone will make you appreciate AT&T even more.

I bet the Oakland tickets will be real cheap too

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The only problem is that he's coming from overseas. San Fran owns... Pittsburgh on the other hand is Scranton but bigger

Pittsburgh is actually a pretty cool place (but also wouldn't be one of my top destinations if I were visiting the US).

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Pittsburgh has a pub that was converted from a church. Everything about it was awesome.

Bung Harmer
Jun 20, 2004
Appalachian Hillbilly Dumbass, Fucked in the Head, Needs Help

Yeah if you're making a special trip to the US, I would definitely hit up Fenway or Yankee Stadium if you're gonna be on the east coast. However, if you decide to hit up PNC, I'll gladly go with you and buy you a Primanti Bros. sandwich.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I'm actually planning to go up to Arlington before the ungodly Texas summer. But I'll probably wear my Durham Bulls cap rather than my Yankees cap.

I could go see the Astros but lol.

No one will care about your Yankees hat.

MMP is pretty nice, and other teams play there.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Scranton rules, I can't wait to go back there forever

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One in the pink

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Stockholm Syndrome detected

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Am i correct in thinking that this jersey is about as authentic as me saying that i'm Barry Bonds?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Am i correct in thinking that this jersey is about as authentic as me saying that i'm Barry Bonds?

It's cheap but it's a blank replica. Who fakes a blank replica?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

ThatsMyBoye posted:

OK I give up, why are you listing things that no human being has ever said?

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

All your base, now belongs to me.

I did have a trip planned out to visit every stadium along the west coast but alas I didn't have the $$

I think it went something like this SD -> Anaheim -> SF -> SEA -> OAK -> LA -> SD. The scheduling was perfect at the time. This site helped me plan it.

e: Hmm, might be time for new av.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

That site seem pretty handy, thanks. Now to convince the mrs that a 2 week roadtrip of baseball games is how she wants to spend her summer. Or her honeymoon.

e: actually, it throws up some crazy suggestions. DBacks to the Rangers in a day? No thanks.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 22:43

no.op
Oct 26, 2007

If you stuck to California and took your time driving along the coast, plus maybe Phoenix, you could fit a lot of non-baseball stuff in that she might really like. San Francisco, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, San Juan Capistrano, San Diego, and if you head out to Arizona the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc.

Time it right and you could fit in 6 ballparks plus some of the most romantic spots in the country. Though driving through Arizona in summer can be pretty brutal.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Lungboy posted:

That site seem pretty handy, thanks. Now to convince the mrs that a 2 week roadtrip of baseball games is how she wants to spend her summer. Or her honeymoon.

e: actually, it throws up some crazy suggestions. DBacks to the Rangers in a day? No thanks.

Your best bet is to base your trip around 2-3 cities with lots of cool poo poo to do for a few days to keep the wife and then try to squeeze in other ballparks as time allows.

Probably the best option is to stay in the Northeast, you can hit the most ballparks with the least amount of driving and there are cooler cities. If you based a trip around Boston, NY and DC, you could catch a game in each city and then spend another couple of days doing other touristy stuff in each place. If you plan it right you might also be able to hit Philly and Baltimore during this trip.

Another option would be to base a trip around Toronto at one end and Chicago at the other (spend a few days in each) and then you could also add in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and potentially Cincinnati if you don't mind the driving. This is more mile but probably less traffic except for Chicago. For reference, Detroit to Chicago is about 4.5 hours drive time.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

It's looking like more than one game is going to be a non-starter. She quite fancies 10 days in Yosemite with 3 in San Fran, which sounds good to me, and she likes the look of AT&T as she can "look at the view if the baseball is boring".

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

King

Lungboy posted:

It's looking like more than one game is going to be a non-starter. She quite fancies 10 days in Yosemite with 3 in San Fran, which sounds good to me, and she likes the look of AT&T as she can "look at the view if the baseball is boring".

sever

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

ManifunkDestiny posted:

sever

TBH it sounds like a solid plan when the Giants are hitting.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

edit; christ i am a terrible poster

MODS CURE JOKES fucked around with this message at Jan 13, 2012 around 06:16

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One in the pink

SWITCH HITLER posted:

hahaha christ you are a terrible poster

I know he's on probation but I'm not sure what was so awful about that post

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

zakharov posted:

I know he's on probation but I'm not sure what was so awful about that post

Kind of weirdly sexist and condescending, or am I losing my mind? not meant to be aggressive in any way btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

One in the pink

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Kind of weirdly sexist and condescending, or am I losing my mind? not meant to be aggressive in any way btw

Looked to me like he was posting a direct quote, hence the quotation marks.

«191 »