Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«191 »
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

CG: IT'S ME AGAIN, ASSHOLE
CG: THE ONE WHO HATES YOU, REMEMBER?

Badfinger posted:

As a dude who does not actually hate the Angels (Bobby Abreu ) I will attempt to explain.

1. Rally Monkey
2. Making dubious to downright bad personnel decisions and winning anyway.
3. Using bad strategies (BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT) that even Tony LaRussa would think twice about, in the American League even, and winning anyway.
4. Seriously, they won 100 games in 2008 and only scored 68 runs more than they allowed. That's hosed up.
5. The New California Republic's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California
6. Rally Monkey
7. I don't know, SteelAngel2000 bandwagons for them really hard even though he's a super casual baseball fan? This probably isn't a reason.

Rally Monkey
8. The K-Rod Years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

9. Scott loving Spiezio and his lovely loving facial hair

stuart scott irl
Mar 9, 2007

10. denying Barrold Bonds a ring

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

11. Enabled the first chink in AA's armor by enabling him to trade Napoli for a relief pitcher

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

All your base, now belongs to me.

Badfinger posted:

As a dude who does not actually hate the Angels (Bobby Abreu ) I will attempt to explain.

1. Rally Monkey
2. Making dubious to downright bad personnel decisions and winning anyway.
3. Using bad strategies (BUNT BUNT BUNT BUNT) that even Tony LaRussa would think twice about, in the American League even, and winning anyway.
4. Seriously, they won 100 games in 2008 and only scored 68 runs more than they allowed. That's hosed up.
5. The New California Republic's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California
6. Rally Monkey
7. I don't know, SteelAngel2000 bandwagons for them really hard even though he's a super casual baseball fan? This probably isn't a reason.

Rally Monkey
12. They won a WS with the King of Scrap and Grit David Eckstein.

Item #5 really irks me about the Angels and I think it would be a grave insult to Los Angeles itself and it gives people the wrong idea that Anaheim is a part of Los Angeles where it is still 9 mi from the LA county line itself.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?

stuart scott irl posted:

10. denying Barrold Bonds a ring

I'll never forget the image of Barrold sliding around after the ball in the outfield in game 6.

No one but Arte likes the name change and alot of people dislike the rally monkey (my mom not being one of those people).

ozymandius1024
Mar 14, 2006

Santa Cam bringing fake smiles for all the good little boys and girls

JediGandalf posted:

12. They won a WS with the King of Scrap and Grit David Eckstein.

Item #5 really irks me about the Angels and I think it would be a grave insult to Los Angeles itself and it gives people the wrong idea that Anaheim is a part of Los Angeles where it is still 9 mi from the LA county line itself.

What was the reason for them even changing the name in the first place? I always thought California Angels sounded really awesome, and their old jerseys loving owned. (See BYS's av)

ayn rand hand job
Sep 10, 2008

'Cause she's so high
      High above me,
       she's so lovely

- Everclear

ozymandius1024 posted:

What was the reason for them even changing the name in the first place? I always thought California Angels sounded really awesome, and their old jerseys loving owned. (See BYS's av)

They changed the name to get the city of Anaheim to foot the bill for stadium renovations.

One of the stipulations in the new lease is that the team has to have Anaheim in the name.

This is also the reason for the new name.

Bumming Your Scene
Dec 29, 2004

L.A. Beast Mode of Anaheim

ozymandius1024 posted:

The City of Anaheim agreed to chip in $30 million towards stadium renovations when the lease was renewed. The lease has a stipulation requiring that Anaheim be in the team name. So they changed names.

Since this is an identical post, I will add that the name switch was worth it because the stadium was God damned ugly before the renovations.

Bumming Your Scene fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2012 around 17:37

ayn rand hand job
Sep 10, 2008

'Cause she's so high
      High above me,
       she's so lovely

- Everclear

Bumming Your Scene posted:

The City of Anaheim agreed to chip in $30 million towards stadium renovations when the lease was renewed. The lease has a stipulation requiring that Anaheim be in the team name. So they changed names.

Since this is an identical post, I will add that the name switch was worth it because the stadium was God damned ugly before the renovations.

Most mixed-sports stadiums are ugly. Thank god the Rams aren't in LA Anaheim anymore.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pretty sure that a lot of the reason everyone hates the Angels is that they beat the Yankees a few years in a row and like half the posters in SAS are Yankees fans.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I still resent them for beating the Twins and then signing Torii Hunter. (Holy poo poo, Hunter has 7 gold gloves )

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

HISTORY!

Also every time I go to Angels stadium their fans look really weird

like I don't know what it is but it makes me uncomfortable

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Xenophon posted:

It's because you're in Orange County. You probably feel the need to go roll around in the mud a little after all that family friendly cleanliness.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Xenophon posted:

Orange County is basically a real life Stepford. When some of us went to an Angels game last year, I got angry looks for cracking jokes about how every kid there is probably named Jayden or Hunter or Kasay.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

HISTORY!

SporkOfTruth posted:

Orange County is basically a real life Stepford. When some of us went to an Angels game last year, I got angry looks for cracking jokes about how every kid there is probably named Jayden or Hunter or Kasay.

Yeah, having grown up in OC I have vivid memories of how robotic the whole place is. I much prefer going to Dodger Stadium or Petco but unfortunately the White Sox play the Angels more sooo

Another annoying thing about the Angels is that their fans still boo Pierzynski for Game 2 of the 2005 ALCS, gently caress the Angels

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Pretty sure that a lot of the reason everyone hates the Angels is that they beat the Yankees a few years in a row and like half the posters in SAS are Yankees fans.

i really want to like them for this but it's impossible

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

WHERE'S MY SEXYDOLL?

As a new Orioles fan (shut up I'm not changing my mind) what made Roberts so meh?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poison Jam posted:

As a new Orioles fan (shut up I'm not changing my mind) what made Roberts so meh?

I don't feel like he was until injuries started to sap his speed which in turn pulled down his fielding and hitting numbers. He was mostly a gap power guy and a lot of his slugging came from being a doubles machine.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Mornacale posted:

I hate them because of the 2002 ALCS.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

Oh God welcome to hell. We have a really awesome ballpark though, so if for some reason you're ever in Baltimore come experience the crippling depression in person!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

LtTennisBall posted:

Oh God welcome to hell. We have a really awesome ballpark though, so if for some reason you're ever in Baltimore come experience the crippling depression in person!

If Poison Jam's in Baltimore, they won't have to go to Camden to experience crippling depression.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Well I had to phone his friend to state my case, and say he's lost control again.

And he showed up all the errors and mistakes, and said I've lost control again.

Poison Jam posted:

His back started going out and then he hit his head real hard a few times and his brain ain't right.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Xenophon posted:

Another annoying thing about the Angels is that their fans still boo Pierzynski

thats not annoying or bad at all

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

God created Fenway to train the faithful.

Mornacale posted:

I hate the Angels, and the Red Sox had a ridiculous streak of knocking them out of the playoffs in the ALDS. Mostly it's Mike Scioscia making terrible, terrible decisions and still being lauded as a great manager because his team managed to win in a weak, 4 team division.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Mornacale posted:

If Poison Jam's in Baltimore, they won't have to go to Camden to experience crippling depression.

well yeah, but I figured I would ju-oh god you really did choose the worst team Poison Jam.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

SAVE IT NERDS

peepoogenderparts posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but please do this.

Getting in on the ground floor and taking the Braves. Been following them since '82.

Last page but yeah, I'm gonna do it when pitchers and catchers report

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

WHERE'S MY SEXYDOLL?

LtTennisBall posted:

well yeah, but I figured I would ju-oh god you really did choose the worst team Poison Jam.

At least I can never be accused of being on any bandwagon whatsoever . Considering I've already watched the last game of the season, what are some of the best games last season? I'd kinda prefer ones with lots of runs or just hilarious gently caress ups.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Here stands baseball's perfect warrior.

Here stands baseball's perfect knight.

World Series Game 6

JT_Dutch
Feb 28, 2008

Unconventional Warfare

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Absolutely. It was horrible, and a damned shame since Anaheim Stadium was arguably the most beautiful ballpark in the league before the initial renovation took place in 1979.

I had heard that there were plans to move the Big A back behind the LF wall when the football seats were removed, but the A's base couldn't withstand any kind of movement without coming apart. Again, not sure if that's true.

Incidentally, BYS - that's Chili Davis in your av, right?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Poison Jam posted:

At least I can never be accused of being on any bandwagon whatsoever . Considering I've already watched the last game of the season, what are some of the best games last season? I'd kinda prefer ones with lots of runs or just hilarious gently caress ups.

To be honest with you it was that last series that really made me a baseball fan again, I did not watch a ton of last season. There are a couple of posters here who would probably have a good answer for you, but I don't

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

"He's a great baker. He's Betty Crocker. He makes the best peanut butter cookies ever."

I hate the Angels because they're bumbling idiots who stumble into the playoffs every year, because they keep Los Angeles in their name despite being in the Stepford suburbs of Anaheim, and because gently caress the Angels.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Also gently caress Torii Hunter

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I'm cool with the Angels since 2005 ALCS game 2 happened. AJ

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

WHERE'S MY SEXYDOLL?

What's the story with Josh Hamilton and a firefighter?

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Poison Jam posted:

I forget the exact situation but Hamilton had the ball while the play was dead and tossed it into the stands to a guy with a kid. The toss was short so the dad reached over to grab it and flipped over the railing and fell probably 20 feet(?) on concrete and killed him. The guy turned out to be a firefighter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ml...tory?id=6747510

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Poison Jam posted:

He tossed a ball into the stands and the guy who was trying to catch it fell to his death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKO0uHlYlE&t=58s

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Didn't they bring back the kid back to throw out the opening pitch at a game? If that's not Stockholm Syndrome, I don't know what is.

ayn rand hand job
Sep 10, 2008

'Cause she's so high
      High above me,
       she's so lovely

- Everclear

Poison Jam posted:

Does anyone have Gendo's GIFs of it saved?

tadashi posted:

Didn't they bring back the kid back to throw out the opening pitch at a game? If that's not Stockholm Syndrome, I don't know what is.

Game 1 of their ALDS matchup with Tampa Bay.

They also stuck a bronze statue of the guy somewhere in the stadium too.

ayn rand hand job fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2012 around 15:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

King

Poison Jam posted:

«191 »