Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Drink several beers and have a greasy meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Beer is like 90% water anyway.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Teeter posted:

Beer is like 90% water anyway.

Plus it has carbohydrates, which is an important energy source :eng101:

Beer: Backed by Science.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

shyduck posted:

Drink several beers and have a greasy meal.

Try to make sure you overeat and drink to store nutrients for later. I recommend a milkshake too.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dangerllama posted:

Plus it has carbohydrates, which is an important energy source :eng101:

Beer: Backed by Science.

But does it have electrolytes?

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Beer is like water right? It's got all that wet stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Yep!

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Habibi posted:

it has what hockey players crave

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I explained to the kids I coached that water is better for you than Gatorade while playing.

They never failed to ask me why I was drinking Gatorade on the ice on Saturday mornings.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I play doubleheaders all the time, and I don't do anything special nutrition-wise before, during or after the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Welp, team we played tonight only had 3 skaters and goalie show up, so they forfeited and we loaned them players so at least we could play a game. Got more ice time than usual with the thin bench, but drat I hate it when that poo poo happens.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The best is when you have a doubleheader at 2 different rinks which are 45 mins apart. That's just enough time to forget how disgustingly damp your equipment is until you have to put it on for the second game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just leave pants and shins on and drive to the rink like that.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Loqieu posted:

The best is when you have a doubleheader at 2 different rinks which are 45 mins apart. That's just enough time to forget how disgustingly damp your equipment is until you have to put it on for the second game.

I just throw my gloves, helmet, and skates in the bag and drive over in my gear.

It does usually get some funny looks, 3 dudes in full hockey gear crammed in a tiny hatchback. At least the bags are easier to pack in there.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Looks like I'll be spending Christmas in Europe (where my wife is from) this year, and as my skates are entry level (x40's which as someone pointed out are the old x20's) I was thinking an upgrade may be a good move. Prices are definitely lower.

My question for you guys is, what skate do you use and why is it the best for you?

I know the supremes, as an example, are a wider fit so not a good choice for me, but what about people who use CCM's over Bauer, or Easton over Rebook. Have you tried others or just stick with what works?

I was thinking the x70's which are about half what I would pay here and are,I guess, decent?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Find what fits your foot, then go from there.

Its worth noting that for most manufacturers* the general fit of the boot at the entry level model is the same throughout the range (ie your Bauer Vapor X40s will fit the same as the Bauer Vapor APX2s) so try on as many skates as you can before your trip and then adjust your budget as necessary.

Before I became a goalie I had Bauer APX skates because the Vapor range fitted my foot best and I like a super stiff skate. I tried CCMs and Reebok skates as well but nothing fitted me as well as the Vapor skates did.

*Graf are a certain exception to this rule, they don't (or didn't) have core ranges like the other manufacturers as such - instead they have lots of different skates that are designed to fit different foot shapes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just try poo poo on. I like my skates stiff. I have very small, not wide feet yet I use supremes.

Also zip may disagree but I found in top of line bauers (TotalOne or apx) that you should go a half size smaller because they run a little bigger. But just me.

Find the best deal and go from there, but honestly I bet you'll find the best deal on eBay.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Look at this tryhard here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2138208-blackhawks-patrick-kane-records-5-goals-and-5-assists-in-buffalo-mens-league

And clearly I'm talking about Vinny Scarsella with his 7 goal night.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Code for 25% off any one clearance item on Hockey Monkey. I'm not going to use it.

EMX25CLR31RIZ6DW

Expires midnight tonight, MAP excluded, etc. etc.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Cool, if it's just which skate fits best it's easy. No ones had a better experience with one skate over another based on anything other than fit?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I really wish they had a decent search engine. Like, "I want to see sticks with this and this and this curve and this flex" or something like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got buying advice for stick blades? The shaft on the stick I broke is still in pretty good shape, and I'm thinking it would make a good garage stick because I can trim it down to fit the same as the one I use on skates.

I assume the fit of the plug portion is different per brand? Could I buy an Easton blade and jam it in my CCM shaft?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xryokus posted:

Cool, if it's just which skate fits best it's easy. No ones had a better experience with one skate over another based on anything other than fit?

A good fitting skate trumps all.

Beyond that it's like picking an airline or a car manufacturer for the most part

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So the team we are playing in the 2nd round of roller hockey playoffs tried to get us kicked out because we used a guy who played only 5 games instead of the required 6 (an oversight on our part)

That players stat line over the 5 games in the regular season? 0g-0a-0p 2PIM.

Why bother? We are honestly worse with him in our line up taking up icetime.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

xzzy posted:

Anyone got buying advice for stick blades? The shaft on the stick I broke is still in pretty good shape, and I'm thinking it would make a good garage stick because I can trim it down to fit the same as the one I use on skates.

I assume the fit of the plug portion is different per brand? Could I buy an Easton blade and jam it in my CCM shaft?

there are two styles of blade/shafts tapered and regular. As long as you use a tapered blade on tapered shaft or regular on regular you're fine. The easiest way to tell if a blade is tapered or not is if the hosel is very short its tapered if its long than its a regular blade. Just get the same style that the blade you broke is and you're golden.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

we used a guy who played only 5 games instead of the required 6 (an oversight on our part)

I have never heard of a rule like this. Why should that matter? The only thing that anyone should check someone's bench is for an obvious sub ringer that's well above the league's skill level or if they're short and they just pulled half of the team that played before yours. And even then captains should know to suss things out before hand.

loving roller hockey people, sometimes man.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 24, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Bootcha posted:

I have never heard of a rule like this. Why should that matter? The only thing that anyone should check someone's bench is for an obvious sub ringer that's well above the league's skill level or if they're short and they just pulled half of the team that played before yours. And even then captains should know to suss things out before hand.

loving roller hockey people, sometimes man.

Our ice league has a similar rule - have to play certain percentage of season game to qualify for playoffs.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I can understand why the rule is there, mostly to prevent a team sandbagging it through the season and then a bunch of ringer showing up and destroying the playoffs. They have a similar rule here for tournaments because you'd get teams getting the piss beat out of them during the qualifiers on the Saturday only to show up with a line of semi-pros on the Sunday to crush a bunch of C-leaguers in the championship games.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zip! posted:

I can understand why the rule is there, mostly to prevent a team sandbagging it through the season and then a bunch of ringer showing up and destroying the playoffs. They have a similar rule here for tournaments because you'd get teams getting the piss beat out of them during the qualifiers on the Saturday only to show up with a line of semi-pros on the Sunday to crush a bunch of C-leaguers in the championship games.

For stand-alone tournaments, yeah I can see that. But I suspect this is more for bring-your-own-team leagues, which would explain my confusion as I'm used to a draft league where you could suss out who's a ringer and call BS on the other captains (or alternatively, steal the ringer for yourself for a season before he's moved up a league).

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bootcha posted:

For stand-alone tournaments, yeah I can see that. But I suspect this is more for bring-your-own-team leagues, which would explain my confusion as I'm used to a draft league where you could suss out who's a ringer and call BS on the other captains (or alternatively, steal the ringer for yourself for a season before he's moved up a league).
Yep, but that's only sadly in the lower level leagues here in FL. Otherwise every league is a bring your own team so you have to have guys play in 6 games before they're eligible for the playoffs.

It's a good rule it's just complete poo poo that at least in our league no one enforces it even if you tell the league about ringers coming in for a playoff game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bootcha posted:

I have never heard of a rule like this. Why should that matter? The only thing that anyone should check someone's bench is for an obvious sub ringer that's well above the league's skill level or if they're short and they just pulled half of the team that played before yours.

This is policy in literally every league I've ever played in except Austin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Same. We've always had a game minimum to be playoff eligible.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

We have that rule in Austin. All subs need approval if not on the list, all long-term subs/replacements need approval, and any subs or splits during the playoffs must have played for the team for X number of games.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

We have that rule in Austin. All subs need approval if not on the list, all long-term subs/replacements need approval, and any subs or splits during the playoffs must have played for the team for X number of games.

Well, that explains why I'll never captain.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
One of the leagues I play in technically has this rule, but they never make us sign in before games so there's no way to really know who has played when.

The other leagues I play in just have a "don't bring in ringers" rule, and you generally have to contact the league organizer to approve subs.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Gio posted:

I really wish they had a decent search engine. Like, "I want to see sticks with this and this and this curve and this flex" or something like that.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Hockey_Sticks/catpage-HOCKSTICK.html

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Here in Australia due to scarcity of ice time, we are restricted in the amount of clubs that are available for amateur leagues - there's only 8 clubs in the state and 2 rinks. Through some networking, I was able to take one of the clubs div 4 (lowest division) slots and form my own team with all the guys I've been doing drop ins with. This doesn't generally happen as the clubs can pick and choose who they want via tryouts.

A team full of rookies that have never played a league game, what could go wrong? It'll be a fun experience nonetheless.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

NoArmedMan posted:

A team full of rookies that have never played a league game, what could go wrong? It'll be a fun experience nonetheless.

I'm expecting a scene reminiscent of Slap Shot. Updates are required on this.

I have my first hockey clinic tomorrow afternoon, and I'm like a four year old on Christmas eve.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

NoArmedMan posted:

A team I help coach is in a similar position to yours. They played their first game a few months back and lost 15-0, they played their second against the same team and this time it was 7-5 and they were unlucky not to win. Its :shobon: as hell watching the improvements they're making and having them slowly pick up concepts like breakouts and transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Hi guys I'm still broken and it still sucks.

Speaking of things that suck I also live on Long Island now and work 100 hour weeks on a broken ankle for less than minimum wage when it's broken down to hourly.

follow ur dreams