Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i was gonna drop my gloves but gently caress it i'd rather drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Technically you gotta drop your gloves to drink because gently caress opening a can with hockey gloves on.

But it might make for a fun bet.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
I don't have much to add to this discussion, but what I can say is my floor ball team is pretty terrible. 3 guys who know what they're doing and 5-6 who are terrible. But we are all friends so winning it's never brought up as a thing.

I know it can be frustrating for the experienced guys, but I can tell you now they would rather play with friends than winners.

One of the 3 experienced guys is my best friend who adamantly refuses to take it seriously as that has ruined other sports he's played casually. Emphasis on casually.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

I quit a team I was on for the better part of 10 years because a bunch of guys wanted to "win" beer league really hard.

Wanting to win beer league leads to anger.

Anger leads to hatred.

Hatred leads to calling the ref a "loving rear end bitch pussyface"

Calling the ref a "loving rear end bitch pussyface" leads to 10 minutes and a game.

10 minutes and a game leads to…the dark side.

Lose games and drink beer you must. This is the way.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

Lose games and drink beer you must. This is the way.

You're just talking like this to try to get someone to carry your lazy rear end around on their back.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Vital Signs posted:

Came here for some help. I've been playing hockey for 17 years now, played AA hockey growing up, and have always loved the game.

My question to you all is how to I push the team to the next step? Hard shift everytime, playing good team d, and correcting bad habits/ furthering skills. This is tough for me to approach, as this is the first time since youth hockey where I'm a leader.

How do you motivate a beer league without being a giant tool? I love my team and want us to continue to get better.

For the sake of an honest question, I did something similar to this in my C1 league, where a bunch of guys liked playing with each other and wanted to learn the game to become better.

First things first, if you want your team to get better, you're going to have to have people on the team that feel the same way, that beer league hockey is something to invest time and effort in for the sake of getting better to enjoy it more. You can like playing with a guy just fine, but if he's just there for pure recreation and not development, then no amount of encouragement is going to sway him into doing more than showing up to games and drinking.

Second, you want to keep it a team-inclusive team building effort. Ask everyone what they want to get better at doing, and have them talk to teammates that are doing it better than them so they can learn. Link youtube videos of plays and skill drills in emails, but always make sure you aren't singling out anyone, in fact make sure you specifically state you're working on X because your X sucks balls and its hurting the play for everyone else. You're not the high lord of hockey knowledge and you haven't been touched by god in your hockey skills: You are exactly at their level of skill and talent and want to get better with them at the same rate. Mix chatting about improvement with the regular locker room bullshitting, make skill improvement a natural part of the conversation when people come out to play. Never lambaste someone for lovely play, empathize with them by telling them your own lovely play, then say what you're going to do to improve it. The only ego should be the collective team ego.

Third, rent some ice and invite your team and/or prospective future teammates to come out. Work on simple stuff at first, like breakouts and neutral zone weaving. Bring beer to every event like this, don't charge goalies, and keep it social before and after the ice time. After awhile you can incorporate set plays like the neutral zone trap or the 1-2-2 foosball attack, perhaps even ask a high league player to come in and do a coaching session with your guys. Play a scrimmage against a higher league team for shits and giggles, as well as social connections and more beer drinkers. The guys that come out regularly, they're your partners in crime, and you can build up on the dialogue between you and your regulars.

Finally, drink beer and be social with everyone you can, including the teams you play against. People will come to hate a team that's trying to stack the deck against them with effort and skill development, but throwing them a bone about what they can work on while praising them for their strengths can motivate them to play at a higher level next time. Make rivalries into friendly rivalries, where people know each other and chirp to give each other friendly poo poo rather than out of malice. Bring guys from your team along to socialize with them, don't be the only one from your team over there unless it's 2 hours past your game and everyone from your team has gone home after saying goodbye to you.

You have to understand that beer league hockey is both a social outlet for many, and for some it's simply an excuse to get away from the wife/kids for a few hours. Some people have that drive to improve because they've invested so much time and money into hockey, why the gently caress not learn how to play better. However, others just play because it's fun and they're happy where they are right now. You're going to have to draft and cultivate a team that shares your drive and motivation to get better, as well as people who like you and each other for when poo poo goes wrong. Nobody likes a Patton-wannabe barking off poo poo like he knows everything. The objective is to make it feel like everyone is Ocean's Eleven-ing this, that everyone has a role and is contributing to the improvement of the entire team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only been in beer league since February and have already been at both extremes. :v:

First team ragged on teammates on the bench for bad plays and bitched in the locker room after a loss, second team forgets about the game 5 seconds after the first beer pops open. I do like trying to get better but not at the expense of other people's fun, it's way better when it stays recreational and not an NHL fantasy.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Gio posted:

i was gonna drop my gloves but gently caress it i'd rather drink

I've smelled your gloves...please drop them before going drinking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

People are playing the neutral zone trap in C1 in Austin? Really?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

People are playing the neutral zone trap in C1 in Austin? Really?

We did for 3 seasons on Schadenfreude. The first season was shakey as the combined C league meant the skill level to do that was well above the "don't fall over" part many were working on, but the following two seasons it worked quite well: 23-5 season and Championship, and an undefeated 18-0 with Championship. Then half the team including the then-captains got moved up a league and we couldn't replicate the same talent pool. Right now I'm not sure if they're running a system, but a few of them still go to stick'n'pucks to practice old stuff we did.

EDIT: Just to explain a little further, one of the co-captains proposed that we learn a system, because that helps everyone know where everyone else is, or at least where they're supposed to be. We didn't do it all the time, but when it was a 1 or close 2 goal game we'd occasionally shout and echo "BANANAS!" from the bench, which was team-elected word for run the neutral zone trap, and "FOOSBALL!" was for the 1-2-2. It wasn't just the captains shouting it, it was the bench too, and anyone on the ice could call for it and we'd all get into position for the system. It became part of the fun team culture. It helped that we were winning a lot, so we had the comfort of loving around a little bit, but even when losing we were giving each other friendly BS on the bench and afterwards.

It was quite simply a great bunch of guys and a perfect harvest of tryhard without going into rear end in a top hat tryhard territory. I mean we were grilling brats in the parking lot after games, bringing homebrew, staying till 2am just talking about hockey and bullshiting stories. I like the team I play on now with Bradf0rd because I know them, and it's a different atmosphere from the others at that level, but I can't deny that my old C1 team was an utter loving blast to play for and learn hockey with.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 29, 2014

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yeah dude I email the league the roster and I tell people to pay so listen to me about how we win you guys gotta skate harder gently caress respect me for this burden. Whatever you do don't respect me for what I do on the ice or my time on the team but dammit I am a leader. And gently caress having adult to adult to conversations as friends over beers like any other situation in life this is hockey and I am a leader goddammit I played aa and the rest of you clearly didn't

I know your personal limits better than you so skate harder and improve your skills you fat sacks of losers *asthma wheeze*

Edit: to be clear I am loving with Gio not you, welcome to the thread
I was super confused at first, but makes sense with the edit.

Bootcha posted:

For the sake of an honest question, I did something similar to this in my C1 league, where a bunch of guys liked playing with each other and wanted to learn the game to become better.

First things first, if you want your team to get better, you're going to have to have people on the team that feel the same way, that beer league hockey is something to invest time and effort in for the sake of getting better to enjoy it more. You can like playing with a guy just fine, but if he's just there for pure recreation and not development, then no amount of encouragement is going to sway him into doing more than showing up to games and drinking.

Second, you want to keep it a team-inclusive team building effort. Ask everyone what they want to get better at doing, and have them talk to teammates that are doing it better than them so they can learn. Link youtube videos of plays and skill drills in emails, but always make sure you aren't singling out anyone, in fact make sure you specifically state you're working on X because your X sucks balls and its hurting the play for everyone else. You're not the high lord of hockey knowledge and you haven't been touched by god in your hockey skills: You are exactly at their level of skill and talent and want to get better with them at the same rate. Mix chatting about improvement with the regular locker room bullshitting, make skill improvement a natural part of the conversation when people come out to play. Never lambaste someone for lovely play, empathize with them by telling them your own lovely play, then say what you're going to do to improve it. The only ego should be the collective team ego.

Third, rent some ice and invite your team and/or prospective future teammates to come out. Work on simple stuff at first, like breakouts and neutral zone weaving. Bring beer to every event like this, don't charge goalies, and keep it social before and after the ice time. After awhile you can incorporate set plays like the neutral zone trap or the 1-2-2 foosball attack, perhaps even ask a high league player to come in and do a coaching session with your guys. Play a scrimmage against a higher league team for shits and giggles, as well as social connections and more beer drinkers. The guys that come out regularly, they're your partners in crime, and you can build up on the dialogue between you and your regulars.

Finally, drink beer and be social with everyone you can, including the teams you play against. People will come to hate a team that's trying to stack the deck against them with effort and skill development, but throwing them a bone about what they can work on while praising them for their strengths can motivate them to play at a higher level next time. Make rivalries into friendly rivalries, where people know each other and chirp to give each other friendly poo poo rather than out of malice. Bring guys from your team along to socialize with them, don't be the only one from your team over there unless it's 2 hours past your game and everyone from your team has gone home after saying goodbye to you.

You have to understand that beer league hockey is both a social outlet for many, and for some it's simply an excuse to get away from the wife/kids for a few hours. Some people have that drive to improve because they've invested so much time and money into hockey, why the gently caress not learn how to play better. However, others just play because it's fun and they're happy where they are right now. You're going to have to draft and cultivate a team that shares your drive and motivation to get better, as well as people who like you and each other for when poo poo goes wrong. Nobody likes a Patton-wannabe barking off poo poo like he knows everything. The objective is to make it feel like everyone is Ocean's Eleven-ing this, that everyone has a role and is contributing to the improvement of the entire team.
I'm happy to hear this because I've already been doing a lot of it. I always address things as a team issue, and do not single anyone out. When others single people out, especially during a game... I or someone else usually puts a pretty quick stop to it. We interact with other teams, even renting ice together to practice or scrimmage. We've even been lucky enough to have a sort of "affiliate" in both the league above us and below us, which is nice for practice and if guys wanna move up or down. I always try to get others involved in the team, asking what they think we need to work on or having them setup the lines for that night. Thanks for all the pointers! It seems that we're on the right track.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Have defensemen talk to defensemen, wingers talk to wingers, centers to center. Better to come from someone in the same role than someone who is in a different role and has an opinion on how to do someone else's job.

Also my god I would be chirping the gently caress out of people yelling poo poo like bananas and foosball.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Have defensemen talk to defensemen, wingers talk to wingers, centers to center. Better to come from someone in the same role than someone who is in a different role and has an opinion on how to do someone else's job.

For basic positional stuff yeah, but when your breakout sucks or offensive puck rotation goes nowhere, other positions have to talk to each other about what they're trying to do out there.

sellouts posted:

Also my god I would be chirping the gently caress out of people yelling poo poo like bananas and foosball.

Oh we would be chirped in the B2 league and up for sure, but it was C1 and no one had a clue what we were doing, or a clue as to how to deal with it.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 29, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah it's not radio silence out there, sure.

People in adult leagues love to get heady on specialized plays and poo poo because they love the NHL but at most lower/mid levels, basic breakouts and cycles work well. Breakdowns tend to happen at a fundamental level (i.e. most people think they are far more fundamentally sound than they really are) or via skill discrepancy (you get beat to puck because you are slower than your opponent). I still think that players that are making mistakes respond better from people who are doing the same job they are.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've yet to put this into practice but I think that the best breakout play in beer league is to have a defenseman either chip it high off the glass or flip it up out of the zone every time and just have a floaty winger waiting in the neutral zone to pick it up. Am not kidding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The breakout is one of the biggest differences between good and bad teams from what I've experienced. Anyone can get lucky on a shot but teams who can't even coordinate getting through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone are always going to struggle or have to rely on their ringer, cherry picking, or breakaways to get a scoring chance.

Honestly most folks do this poo poo in squirts but I found it really beneficial to take a coached clinic where you focus on things like breakouts, offensive zone pressure and cycling the puck etc. It really helped me improve my hockey IQ and just get fundamentally better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually saw the flying V recently, unfortunately it was the other team doing it because everyone on my team let themselves sink way too low in the offensive zone. Everyone made a mad rush for the crease when they saw a rebound briefly chilling out in the slot. Other team gets possession, everyone gets on their horse, and a perfect V comes streaking through the neutral zone.

Our goalie yelled a bit about that one. :angel:

I see the chip off the glass to a cherry picker all the time, mostly because wingers are poo poo about helping defensively and never make it any further into the defensive zone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As long as you don't need to play grab-rear end in front of the net with the rest of the offense because that winger can't score on his odd man rush/breakaway that play owns

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

bewbies posted:

I've yet to put this into practice but I think that the best breakout play in beer league is to have a defenseman either chip it high off the glass or flip it up out of the zone every time and just have a floaty winger waiting in the neutral zone to pick it up. Am not kidding.
We are incorporating this next game. Our skill level on defense is pretty skewed, and there are games that we lose due to not being able to break out at all. This setup sounds perfect for us, and I don't know why I didn't think it.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

bewbies posted:

Our team is pretty good at this but from a defensive zone face-off. The centre wins it back to the defenseman who slaps it around the net hard to the other side or up over the air to our wingers who by this time are behind the other team's defence. Obviously doesn't work on skilled teams but if you play against some defence who can't skate too well, works every time.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

First time pulling out hockey stuff since moving.

"I am kicking you out of there when this NHL14 game ends."

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

EDIT: Just to explain a little further, one of the co-captains proposed that we learn a system, because that helps everyone know where everyone else is, or at least where they're supposed to be. We didn't do it all the time, but when it was a 1 or close 2 goal game we'd occasionally shout and echo "BANANAS!" from the bench, which was team-elected word for run the neutral zone trap, and "FOOSBALL!" was for the 1-2-2. It wasn't just the captains shouting it, it was the bench too, and anyone on the ice could call for it and we'd all get into position for the system.

So which play is "shoot on your own goalie?" I need to know so I never call for that one again. :v:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So we came up against the ringer team in the finals. Lost 6-2 could have been way worse, not a weak link on their team unfortunately, and they all play well and as a team.

The guy who runs our team pulled up the league rules on the website that said players with 5 games are able to play in the playoffs to the league so they let our guys play, hoping that our good player with 5 games would show up, instead it was the worst guy on the team who came out, leaving us with 2 good forwards, 2 so/so forwards and 2 bad forwards, really no good way to play that unfortunately.

The refs were also letting basically anything that didnt look 'dangerous' go but called all the retaliation, which caused us to get 4 stupid retaliation penalties and a STUPID penalty for yelling at the ref.

Anyway, the ringer team was in div 1 to start the season, but had trouble with people showing up, played a lot with 6 guys, 7 of the players on their roster had exactly 6 games played, dropped all the way down to div 3, won the last 7 games going into playoffs, destroyed their way to the finals, and now they are playing with 9 guys who are far too good.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

So which play is "shoot on your own goalie?" I need to know so I never call for that one again. :v:

"Brilliant".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of my cats loves sleeping in my breezers, they make a lovely cave to hide out in. She'll spend the whole day in there, guess hockey smell doesn't bother cats.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It's probably because dirty hockey equipment smells better than cats.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Cats love smelly poo poo. I'll get home from a game and set my bag down for 5 minutes... when I go to take it down to the basement to hang up, both of my cats are sleeping on top of it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Well…time to head out to the old drop-in session for the first time in about three months tomorrow.

Gonna carb load tonight.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dangerllama posted:

Well…time to head out to the old drop-in session for the first time in about three months tomorrow.

Gonna carb load tonight.
Thank you for the reminder, gonna prep 10 pounds of spaghetti for Sunday night :hfive:

Makeo
Aug 5, 2003

NoArmedMan posted:

We're progressing to registration now - I think I've made my first enemy already. shes a woman from another club that I think was hoping to scoop the rookie pool of it's talent before I took them all and formed a team. :getin:

The team is reeeeeeaaaallly well setup. I have no idea what amateur hockey is like in the US besides the story here, but the club president has offered to take us to the ice rink gym (there are only two rinks here in Melbourne, Aus and one is the Winter Olympic centre so it's really kickass.) and run through a full customised hockey based circuit.

They've also got a heap of team merch and our jerseys look cool.

They get our number (I nabbed 76, go PK!) put on all the merch too if we want it :D

I came up through the icehouse hockey school a couple of years ago and we did the same thing.

Good Stuff.

I play for the jets so I'm pretty sure who your 'enemy' is. She's ok.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to buy sticks online? I wanna find a good deal on a couple 100 flex sticks, as it seems most clearance options online only have 75 or 85 flex.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pick your poison. Also usually 10-20% off sales here: Hilarously long search link at IceWarehouse.com

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Trying to find Easton Makos gloves online is a loving nightmare. Also called Makos: sticks, elbow pads, shin pads, softball bats???, baseball gloves???

And their crap version is just the Mako M3 so you have to exclude that all the time, too.

Goddamnit, Easton.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

Pick your poison. Also usually 10-20% off sales here: Hilarously long search link at IceWarehouse.com
I like this site. Thanks. Being right handed is awful for clearance sales!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're just buying at a bad time.

Buy a handful when they're available to get you through the times when they're not.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vital Signs posted:

I like this site. Thanks. Being right handed is awful for clearance sales!

Hockey Monkey seems to have tons of clearance sticks, but it's a little harder to weed through their selection.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vital Signs posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good place to buy sticks online? I wanna find a good deal on a couple 100 flex sticks, as it seems most clearance options online only have 75 or 85 flex.

Have you tried using a softer flex? It'll put more power into your shots unless you're He-Man or have an NHL caliber slap shot right now.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Vital Signs posted:

Go to Monkey and buy their mystery pack-- $80 for two lower end sticks and $150 for two higher end sticks. They say you can't specify what you want, but I always request a flex and basic curve design and get what I request.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Have you tried using a softer flex? It'll put more power into your shots unless you're He-Man or have an NHL caliber slap shot right now.
I use to use a softer flex. I like what the stiffer flex does for my passing and slap shots, even though the wrist shot suffers a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I just got my hockey socks from Thufir in the mail today!

He also included a winter classic puck from this year and a Patric Hornqvist card!

Thanks!