Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There's a reason cyber-bullying is such a big thing nowadays and it's because it's fun and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

officials never call slashing tires

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How are any of you people still alive?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

… one of these posts aren't like the others …

Also xzzy you're right about your play/positioning. No need to call anyone out, just let people make their mistakes as it's just beer league. It's harder to explain that your guy scored the goal because you were covering for someone else. It's also easy to feel responsible for every goal but it's never the case.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

How are any of you people still alive?

We're all dead inside.

Only two months left until the temperature falls below freezing (hopefully)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

… one of these posts aren't like the others …

Also xzzy you're right about your play/positioning. No need to call anyone out, just let people make their mistakes as it's just beer league. It's harder to explain that your guy scored the goal because you were covering for someone else. It's also easy to feel responsible for every goal but it's never the case.

"Goalie should've saved that. Not my fault"
"Wasn't my guy. Not my fault."
"Forward should have covered my point. Not my fault"

Gotta pass blame to be an effective defenseman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done good so far holding my tongue, but it's hard. My entire job revolves around finding problems in a system and creating solutions, I see stuff broken and I want to fix it. :qq:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Just work on yourself and hope that other people are doing the same. You're never going to be able to coach a beginner adult team as a player because everyone thinks they know what they're doing and don't realize when they're loving up.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
After a little advice which Google has failed me on.

Does anyone know how to get rid of lace bite after its happened? I'm not talking about pain whilst skating but when wearing regular shoes after skating as well.

I've changed my lace tightening technique but have no way of knowing if it's working because the "pain" is always present. Is it just a leave it until it goes away type thing?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

When I got lace bite I stopped using the top eyelet and I don't do the new top eyelet very tight.

I'm not sure it ever fully goes away.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

I'm not sure it ever fully goes away.

This is my experience, but I don't know if my thing is really lace bite or some side injury from when I broke my ankle/dislocated my foot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

tip 2: there's really no need to stop just cause the game ends, follow them out to their car with that poo poo, really let 'em know whats what

The real goal is to beat them so bad they don't even hang out and drink beers afterward.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Aaaah, I do enjoy some quality hockey league facebook page shitposting.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
The league I play in has yet to charge anybody on my team yet this season. We are six games in already. I'm not complaining because it is just another example of how horribly mismanaged this rink is. The ice sucks, the facilities are terrible, and the divisions are all unbalanced and stupid, but free hockey is nice.

My team is leaving to go to another rink that isn't horrible after this season either way.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The league I've joined hasn't emailed me back yet, though I have made the payment. They seem pretty legit and have like 8 divisions but all I have is the confirmation email of the payment

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
What is it with hockey rinks and mismanagement? Is it secretly much harder than it looks? Are the margins just too thin?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Almost assuredly margins.. they can't afford anyone who's competent at managing money or a calendar.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
A buddy of mine used to work at a park district ice rink which was bleeding money. The park district realized this and hired a reputable rink manager who actually knew what he was doing. He went in there and changed the lighting system to a more efficient type, and had them modify the zamboni routine slightly, so they'd use less hot water. He also worked with another rink to combine their kids' hockey team with another rink's, saving money on coaching staff for both.

Trouble is, since not every rink is publicly owned and accountable to taxpayers, you get stubborn private owners who want to do it *their way* and will run a facility poorly because they're stubborn or don't know any better.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I think it comes down to the fact that the employees have to wear a lot of titles. The guy in charge of the hockey department is most likely in charge of scheduling, payments, customer service, he's doing clinics, and in cheaper rinks he's probably driving the Zamboni and score-keeping/refereeing too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xryokus posted:

After a little advice which Google has failed me on.

Does anyone know how to get rid of lace bite after its happened? I'm not talking about pain whilst skating but when wearing regular shoes after skating as well.

I've changed my lace tightening technique but have no way of knowing if it's working because the "pain" is always present. Is it just a leave it until it goes away type thing?

Bungapads are crazy effective for lace bite.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dangerllama posted:

Bungapads are crazy effective for lace bite.

So's a cut up foam mouse pad and some coach's tape. And it's cheaper, too.

I've used both.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

What is it with hockey rinks and mismanagement? Is it secretly much harder than it looks? Are the margins just too thin?

It probably doesn't help that, at least at most rinks (ice or roller) I've played at, job openings are most likely to be filled by 'that guy' who skates/hangs around there all the time.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

1-1 shootout loss 💩

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Scored a shorty while killing a 5v3.

:feelsgood:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anybody ever use the Tron equipment?

I was looking at their 4 Roll style gloves but I have no idea what the quality is like. I'm a fan of easton EQ pro gloves (4 roll style) and my current pair is starting to fall apart. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.

**EDIT** gently caress it, if they suck I can just return them. They have a buy one pair for $60 get one pair free special right now. $60 for 2 pairs of new 4 roll style gloves? Worth the risk, I can always send them back.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 1, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tron stuff is low quality in my experience. It has been about 18 months since I've been to their retail location but I never saw anything of quality.

Also I hate their jerseys in both fit and material. But I guess I am picky.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Their visors are alright, no complaints with mine but I can't really speak for anything else they do.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Their tinted visors are great, but yeah, the sizing of their jerseys loving suck. I usually wear a L, but in Tron I need an XL and it's still about 6 inches too short.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I use their sticks but that's about it, never had a problem with them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just got these for $28, pretty pleased with that.

I like the tron socks I have, they've held up well

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
Does anyone have any experience with superfeet, or support inserts? I bought my first pair of skates (Reebok, were far and away most comfortable in the store), and have been taking skating lessons. My feet start to hurt after a few minutes, and then after 15-20 minutes they get numb or the muscles get tired and relax and the pain goes away. I have extremely flat feet and my instructor recommended them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I would recommend them.

When I first learned to skate, the muscles in the bottom feet were really painful within the first 10 minutes of skating. After, it would take like a half hour for them to hurt.

edit: oh boy this season is going to be interesting.... a team got moved down to our division. This is not sitting well with a team or two.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 2, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yep, I love the Superfeet.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Doctor Butts posted:

I would recommend them.

When I first learned to skate, the muscles in the bottom feet were really painful within the first 10 minutes of skating. After, it would take like a half hour for them to hurt.

edit: oh boy this season is going to be interesting.... a team got moved down to our division. This is not sitting well with a team or two.

When I used Grafs for at least a few months my feet would feel like they were on fire for the first 20 minutes or so and then it would die down. I dunno why I was so stubborn with those skates

In other news, I'm currently signed up for the lowest of 8 divisions in my new league because that was the only option on the sign up sheet. Not to overestimate my own talent but they themselves bill the league as having divisions for every level of skill, and if I've been skating for like 18 years now. I emailed the point of contact guy and hopefully he'll get back to me with some more league info soon. As much fun as being a ringer every game would be for the first few games, I'd rather play a level or two up, if it's possible

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like superfeet just because they aren't lovely like the inserts my skates came with. With the stock inserts I could feel rivets poking through. With superfeet, that's gone.

They didn't do anything to help my foot pain though, but my issues aren't related to my arch.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Look what my parents just dug up!

Wonder how many people have hit both those milestones within 3 months of eachother?

D C fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 2, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

You'll be fine.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

OdinsBeard posted:

Does anyone have any experience with superfeet, or support inserts? I bought my first pair of skates (Reebok, were far and away most comfortable in the store), and have been taking skating lessons. My feet start to hurt after a few minutes, and then after 15-20 minutes they get numb or the muscles get tired and relax and the pain goes away. I have extremely flat feet and my instructor recommended them.

I've got flat feet too, Superfeet (yellow ones) made a huge difference. It used to be so bad that my foot would cramp up sometime before the 3rd and I'd have to take the skates off for a few minutes. Feels good now man.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

"Dane"

D C

Dane Cook!

You're Dane Cook!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009