Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I take it off. Heard a horror story when I first got married. Short version is smashed hand, swelled, and ring cut off.

Take it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Honestly, the odds of anything happening are pretty low (though it'll be nasty if it ever happens).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Oh, also, I have a QALO ring, which is made of squishable silicone. It's more for weightlifting and situations where my normal ring might scratch or ding something delicate, but if you're freaked out at a 1 in x00000 chance of degloving it's an option.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I take my ring off and put it in my pocket

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I usually wear a candy flavored bling ring just to be safe, and also in case I get hungry on the bench.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013
I take mine off and hang it on my necklace. Feels funny trying to wear it in my trapper.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Whew, we won 6-3 and had a ridiculously full bench. Like, 3 D pairs full. I'm not sure if attendance is gonna go down or if we're gonna get the lines more set in stone next time, but it was shocking. I had a pretty good assist where I threw it on net from the blueline and a guy scored in the scrum, so I'm pretty happy. The team has a bunch of pretty good players on it, so I'm looking forward to the year

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
After two tough losses we wrecked a team 10-2 last night. Felt good, but close games are better for sure.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So this morning I woke up with excruciating back pain, spine between the shoulder blades dagger everytime I move pain. I loaded up on Tylenol and Advil all day and by the time our 9pm game rolled around I felt I had enough mobility to at least give it a go. We get to the rink (Acethomas and I) and realize we're facing the undefeated team (we're in second, out of four teams, lol) that we tied to with our full team while they were gutted of their ringers and only had 2 people on the bench. Not only that, but we were going to be down a lot of players, and for some reason the best team got an email sent out to a neighboring rink that they needed more players, so they had 15-20 skaters, 7 of which were regulars that had no idea wtf all these people were in their locker room for. We had 3 defenseman and 2 forward lines.

Something about hockey and overwhelming odds completely squashed all my pain and our goalie went full on Jonathan Quick voodoo to have a shutout going through half the game and then stopped probably 46/50 shots on goal AFTER that, and we ended up winning. Feels good now, I'll probably be paralyzed in the morning.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Here's a protip: Keep your chin tucked when blocking shots. I got hit with a slapper in the chest last game, riiiight on the top edge of my shoulder pads. It bounced up, hit me in the chin cup of my cage, and ricocheted out of the zone. I wasn't actually trying to block the shot at all, but it certainly made me realize how vulnerable my throat was every time I did.

Edit: And yeah, I take my ring off and put it in my wallet before games. Whoever said "degloving" was right on.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
I wore my ring during a game once, and it was a bad time. My finger size varies a ton with temperature, so the ring was super loose on the ice and it bothered me the whole time. I always take it off now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We started game last night with 7, one guy gets kicked out for "abuse of official" then another guy gets hit with errant friendly slap shot and breaks finger.

I am...tired today.

Dude who broke finger is probably retiring from recreational hockey :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bewbies posted:

one guy gets kicked out for "abuse of official"

Story?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Thanks for ring chat. I just got hitched and am not used to life wearing a ring yet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Congrats, dude. Don't cave in on the amount of hockey you play! (Just kidding, be prepared)

Unless you're a weirdo like HZ and your significant other plays hockey as well. Then enjoy a life of making stink babies or whatever.

Edit: I'm surprisingly jealous of a this, this being a significant other that plays hockey not jealous of making stink babies with HZ

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 20, 2014

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Thufir posted:

Thanks for ring chat. I just got hitched and am not used to life wearing a ring yet.

I was actually planning on not wearing my wedding band at all (and had even talked my wife into it) because (1) it was uncomfortable as hell and (2) I can be a little absent minded and was convinced I'd probably take it off at some point and forget it, like I've done with countless pairs of sunglasses. But then I stumbled onto a ring I actually really liked (on a site by a woman who hand-makes gorgeous hammered jewelry), and it took almost no time to get used to it to the point of not even noticing that I have it on - regardless of what I'm doing or wearing on my hands.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It only takes a few months before not wearing a ring feels more weird than wearing a ring.

I never gave a second thought to wearing a ring while playing hockey. I'm not sure how a degloving could happen on the ice but I guess crazy poo poo happens sometimes. :iiam:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I don't know why I parsed that as deg loving but I was very confused

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Vicas posted:

Whew, we won 6-3 and had a ridiculously full bench. Like, 3 D pairs full. I'm not sure if attendance is gonna go down or if we're gonna get the lines more set in stone next time, but it was shocking.
Attendance for our games has been perfect, thanks to the team coming from a private drop-in. The guy who runs both has for years (a) produced a quality skate that has people wanting to come back (i.e. two goalies, typically two to four guys on each bench, and fewer and fewer benders) and (b) has a massive list accumulated over the years of skaters to call on, so every week we have people that will sub but aren't needed.

Six games now and we've had nine forwards and four defense every time. It's pretty awesome. If anything, we could trim the number of forwards, but I don't care because I don't play forward.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

It only takes a few months before not wearing a ring feels more weird than wearing a ring.

It's true! It's like a hat.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nthing much, dude was getting hacked, retaliated, got pissed off when retaliation got called, sort of bumped the ref while jawing with the other guy. Was a pretty soft call.

better than mama
Jan 26, 2009

sellouts posted:

Unless you're a weirdo like HZ and your significant other plays hockey as well.

Is it that weird to have a spouse that plays hockey? It's better than waiting on the other side of the glass watching him have all the fun.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No.

Date night turns into stick time and beer drinking.

It owns.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If it took hockey to turn your date nights into stick time I think you were doing it wrong.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No.

It owns.

It really is the best.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
There's a tiny lady on my new team who makes big beer league dudes look foolish all the time with great skating and puck control. In our game tonight she scored one of the coolest goals I've ever seen in beer league: she stretched out so far to catch a pass that she fell onto her knees, splitting the opposing d at the same time. She controlled the puck from the ice and then regained her feet just in time to roof it over the goalie. It got the team pretty pumped up and I think ended up being the game winner.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No.

It owns.

"Stick time."

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So I have somewhat of a random question. Anyone here live in Quebec city? I'm looking for some information on adult hockey leagues there but I'm coming up dry, probably because I don't speak French and don't know the proper terms to search for. Are there any good competitive adult recreational hockey leagues out that way?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
So with any luck tomorrow will be my first "game," albeit a Bronze-Silver drop-in. Since the rink canceled all stick times for Sep-Jan I haven't been in my full kit in two months, and then only four times at all.

I'm going to tell everyone (especially my team) that I'm the greenest skater they've ever played with, and hope to be better than that.

Also in preparation I finally picked up a toolhockey rack and mounted it today:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Sweet gear rack!

In about 2 weeks I'm moving from a second floor apartment to a nice 2 bed house with a garden (still no garage boo). I'm looking forward to building myself a sweet rear end shed with a stall and ventilation in it so it becomes the place for all my gear to live in.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

FreshFeesh posted:

So with any luck tomorrow will be my first "game," albeit a Bronze-Silver drop-in. Since the rink canceled all stick times for Sep-Jan I haven't been in my full kit in two months, and then only four times at all.

I'm going to tell everyone (especially my team) that I'm the greenest skater they've ever played with, and hope to be better than that.

Also in preparation I finally picked up a toolhockey rack and mounted it today:

:hfive:

It's the only way to go.

(e: this also ensures that my absent minded rear end doesn't forget a piece of equipment, which has happened before)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My drat helmet is broken now, does anyone have a helmet they don't want?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If I can find a third panel I'll spread out my gear more evenly but that style is only sold in pairs. Tonight is going to be awesome.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

My drat helmet is broken now, does anyone have a helmet they don't want?

How big is your dome?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I'm a large in Bauer, hat size is 7 3/8.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

I think I'm a large in Bauer, hat size is 7 3/8.

I've got a lightly used 4500 size Large but its got a weird foam bump that kinda digs into your forhead. The Easton s19 would be too big for you. Hrm...

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Yep, it's official, I am terrible at this sport :D

Had such a blast though, once my body got used to sprinting back and forth for sixty seconds at a time. Looks like I need to hit the old cardio.

Can't wait for two weeks from now when I can play again, hopefully with more evenly-matched teams (We managed maybe 12 shots on goal during the whole hour).

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

FreshFeesh posted:

Yep, it's official, I am terrible at this sport :D

Had such a blast though, once my body got used to sprinting back and forth for sixty seconds at a time. Looks like I need to hit the old cardio.

Can't wait for two weeks from now when I can play again, hopefully with more evenly-matched teams (We managed maybe 12 shots on goal during the whole hour).

Skating once in 14 days is no fun. Is that your schedule or are you missing a game or two? I find that skating 2-3 times a week keeps the energy levels up. Less than that and I'm sucking wind in the 3rd period.

Interval training at a gym or interval running can help but running is boring compared to hockey. Actually, most anything else is boring compared to hockey so it's not a fair comparison.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Tuesday night is the only Bronze/Silver drop-in; the two All Level times are right in the middle of my workday on Friday. Unfortunately I have prior commitments alternating Tuesdays so it's just twice a month for me.

I do try to get out to the public skate session every Saturday but as you know there's only so much you can do with those; they don't hold a candle to stick time.

Edit: There's only one sheet of ice for at least 50 miles in any direction so my options are really limited

FreshFeesh fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
You gotta do what you gotta do. Playing more than once a week helps for sure but just playing every two weeks is better than not playing at all. I've been on some really bad teams with guys that weren't fun and almost to the point of quitting but always fall back to, it is more fun to play than it is to not play.