Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am consumed with the realization that every goal I score is closer to being the last one I score.

Old.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I'm going to score tonight by having someone else's shot bank in off my rear end but I'll still claim it was due to the new composite stick you have all convinced me to buy to replace my 5lbs of Old Wood.

As for goal celebrations my linemates are so subdued that the only way I knew one of them had scored was when we all headed back to centre ice for the next faceoff.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Tochiazuma posted:

As for goal celebrations my linemates are so subdued that the only way I knew one of them had scored was when we all headed back to centre ice for the next faceoff.

No-celebration crew for life. :hfive:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Maybe we can start you off simple, ease you into it. How do you feel about the Mile High Salute?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
My first goal skating out? Took it in on the right side, head down, panicked at the stick chop, flung it at the net blindly, beat the goalie far side post along the ice.

My favorite goal? The one I can share of course (#13 at 51:49):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlYccvN21w&t=3109s

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Well I got a hat trick with the new composite stick so a huge thank you to all those who recommended it. Celebrations were limited to fist bumps and me looking a bit stunned at the whole thing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I played like hot rear end tonight but we tied the #1 team 7-7 to claim sole possession of 2nd last :woop:

We are the team that loves to keep the league leaders in check.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: meh. drop-in lament.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 22, 2014

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Big news everyone, I scored my second goal of the season! That is an all time high for me. And we still have 1 game left. Both goals this season were garbage in front of the net I got to first.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm still completely lost on the goalie boarding thing are you saying he just did a butterfly slide a bit too far and the guy tripped over him?

My first goal came from picking the puck up out of a scramble and shovelling it under the goalie on my back hand.

When I scored goals as a player I didn't tend to celebrate aside from letting out a Vinnie Prospal level YEEEAHHHHHH!

Officially just a goalie from this week onwards - put my players kit up for sale, I've not missed it at all since making the switch back to nets.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Zip! posted:

I'm still completely lost on the goalie boarding thing are you saying he just did a butterfly slide a bit too far and the guy tripped over him?

You and I both. That's what it looked like to me, but according to the team stat sheet the Goalie was not credited with any penalty minutes. They definitely ejected someone though, he was grumbling about it the entire walk outside from the locker room (and rightfully so, I think).

Also I was wrong, it looks like that was a Silver B game.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Zip! posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was a bit confused at this. So how far past the post was he when he made the "save?"

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Only thing I can think of was he went to play the puck, then before or after the puck he decided to DDT the guy chasing it down into the boards.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Honestly, even having seen it I'm still confused. The goalie went for the puck, play continued, but the offensive player was down in a heap behind the net screaming in pain and the refs stopped the game.

I can't remember if it had been a one- or two-legged slide, but I don't remember anything strange about it, just a goalie going for (and successfully blocking) a shot. It had been a 3 on 2 breakaway I think and the skater had no passing options and went for it.

:iiam:

(There was no way 'Boarding' was the right call there, which I think is obvious)

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah so he Hasek'ed him?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Of course I remember my first goal... because I only have one and I posted about it here. It's real easy to keep track of that way.

We've had a couple of crappy weeks lately. Our best game was a 1-1 tie in which I got to stack the shinpads to save an empty netter, so that was cool. But other than that we're definitely feeling the effects of having the shortest bench in the league. Other teams have 7 or 9 guys on the bench while we're usually borrowing two from the early game just to have 9 skaters total. I certainly won't complain about the ice time but it's rough to constanly lose games because we fall apart from exhaustion in the third.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I haven't made a goal yet but last night I got what I think was my first primary assist. I was playing center, just came off te bench and dashed to the offensive zone and the puck happened to squirt out from the corner into open ice so in stride I hit a snap shot right at the goalie and my winger poked it in. I was pretty shocked I even put the puck where I wanted to considering I've never taken a snap shot. 2 games left in the season *queue 24 beeping clock*

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I always love it when someone with a camera shows up to a game.

I felt really good about this one until I realized how fat and old the scrubs were from the other team.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Wow matching socks. I'm lucky that my socks at least have the same color as the jersey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had some jackass on the other team try to ironically fist bump me last night after I scored the first goal of the game. Then after we got the second goal, he starts complaining about us being "a bunch of loving ringers" and to "stop scoring goals already." It was like 7 minutes into the game at this point.

.... Ok? Sorry for playing hockey in the first period I guess?

We beat the last place team 4-0 so it's not like we ran up the score or anything. What a weirdo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey is so much better when everyone's having fun, my game on Saturday was against a team where everyone was basically former teammates of everyone else. The chirping and trash talking was off the charts but it was all good natured.

Why can't they all be like that. :smith:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Christ, I am so frustrated lately at my ability to choose the stupidest possible action any time I have the puck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Last night we had a fun game despite losing 4-1 and my hot streak of 8 goals in 5 games came to an end. It was thoroughly competitive but we lost in the end to a team that played better in the neutral and D zones, got a few more lucky bounces, and had a goalie the size of Ben Bishop who actually knew how to play. He robbed me once or twice and just stood on his head the whole game. Good bunch of guys and our two teams actually chatted a bit after it was done.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Christ, I am so frustrated lately at my ability to choose the stupidest possible action any time I have the puck.

You're in the Bay Area, right? Are you playing the Redwood tournament this weekend?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Loqieu posted:

Wow matching socks. I'm lucky that my socks at least have the same color as the jersey.

We're huge tryhards. The uniforms even have nice sewn on logos and numbers.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

This is a USA Hockey equipment violation. Can't roll up the sleeves like that (because USA Hockey hates fun or something).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You're in the Bay Area, right? Are you playing the Redwood tournament this weekend?

Nope. I always like tournaments in theory but when they actually happen I'd rather be doing something else.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Jofa helmet spotted, stop, picking on the elderly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why do people roll their sleeves up I don't understand what that does when most elbow pads almost wrap around the arm anyways.

Also wearing sweatpants to drop in tonight because it's finally cool enough to start doing that again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't put my sleeves up that high, but I do tug my jersey a bit up my forearm because I don't like the cuff getting under the glove, it tugs and feels weird.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Why do people roll their sleeves up I don't understand what that does when most elbow pads almost wrap around the arm anyways.

Also wearing sweatpants to drop in tonight because it's finally cool enough to start doing that again.

Sellouts, any interest in joining the team I'm on for Presidents' Day Ducks Tournament? We might need another person or two.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm his agent. He's in. Please send 20% of tournament winnings and 100% of his beer share to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Sellouts, any interest in joining the team I'm on for Presidents' Day Ducks Tournament? We might need another person or two.

When do you need to know by? I already passed on the Vegas tournament and I gotta feel out the politics of it.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

sellouts posted:

I've got one jersey that has blown out stitches on the arms so it just rides up my elbow pads on their own.
:feelsgood:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I don't roll my sleeves but on my CCM-made jerseys they always seem to ride up and uncover half my elbow pads.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Depends - if the sleeves are a bit tight it can feel somewhat restrictive. I had to roll them up when I first went in goal and only had players cut jerseys.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

When do you need to know by? I already passed on the Vegas tournament and I gotta feel out the politics of it.

Dec 19th is the lock date for the rosters and then they will be posted for comment. We are in Div E (of A-F).

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

My team has strung together 2 wins for the first time in a year. We even went 2 for 3 on the PP last night. I would say it's a combination of us finally clicking, and also facing opponents equal to our skill. One more win and we'll have reached the .500 mark for the season.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, not so much a straight hockey thing, but my brother, his father-in-law, and I are going to Millennium Park to skate around. Literally 2.5 generations of hockey.

My brother is also moving to Lakeview and is 10 minutes away from the double rink up there. Fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Bootcha posted:

Yeah, not so much a straight hockey thing, but my brother, his father-in-law, and I are going to Millennium Park to skate around. Literally 2.5 generations of hockey.

My brother is also moving to Lakeview and is 10 minutes away from the double rink up there. Fucker.

I've skated there (on drat rented skates) before, they have some bomb hot chocolate.