Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

I hardly know any goalies using 1" now. 1/2" is my standard on my goal skates.

Yeah my goalie skates are 1/2". I get 7/16" on my regular skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Talking with our goalie he got his at 1/2" at the local shop. Hopefully they will be open before tomorrow's game so I can get them sharpened. When I was younger, no one ever told me about different radius grinds, etc. So I'm learning as I go now that I'm older.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That kind of blows my mind, I've only been skating three years and change, and skate hollow comes up constantly in the locker room.

But maybe I skate with a bunch of colossal nerds.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

That kind of blows my mind, I've only been skating three years and change, and skate hollow comes up constantly in the locker room.

But maybe I skate with a bunch of colossal nerds.

i think you skate with a bunch of colossal nerds. the times it has been brought up most have little idea about hollows. i didn't until maybe a couple years ago.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Gio posted:

i think you skate with a bunch of colossal nerds. the times it has been brought up most have little idea about hollows. i didn't until maybe a couple years ago.

The first thing they ask you when you get your skates sharpened (which, presumably, you'd have done at least once, when you bought the skates) is what hollow you want. At least, they should if they're any good at it.

I recently switched from the standard 1/2" to 9/16", and I'm liking it so far. I can cut way harder without my edges "catching" or digging in too much.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 22, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Gio posted:

I have a theory that adult beginners in their first 1-3 years of playing are the people who talk about sharpening the most. I think it's because getting the "wrong" hollow can make such a big impact to them, and the way different hollows feel change as they get stronger in their skates. At least I was super-preoccupied back then, and now if the dude just gives me 1/2" without asking it doesn't really make a big difference to me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

The first thing they ask you when you get your skates sharpened (which, presumably, you'd have done at least once, when you bought the skates) is what hollow you want. At least, they should if they're any good at it.

I recently switched from the standard 1/2" to 9/16", and I'm liking it so far. I can cut way harder without my edges "catching" or digging in too much.

Yeah Delaware isn't the best for sharpening. The closest best one for me is about 2 hours away. But talking with my goalie he definitely got 1/2" done so going to get that done. I can tell there is a difference between what it used to feel like when I was younger and the hollow I have now. I'm just trying to be able to skate around without looking like an rear end.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
tip: if you have a hollow that you like, write it on the blade holder

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bewbies posted:

tip: if you have a hollow that you like, write it on the blade holder

That's really good advice, actually.

Heh, now every time the guy asks, instead of saying, "7/16," I can say, "Can't you read you moron?"

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Habibi posted:

That's really good advice, actually.

Heh, now every time the guy asks, instead of saying, "7/16," I can say, "Can't you read you moron?"

Which will certainly read to a really good sharpening.

But seriously, why is skate sharpening still done by humans? The operation could easily be automated. I am pretty tired of paying $5+ to get my skates sharpened and not knowing if I am just pissing money away or not.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Total Hockey caters to my laziness and remembers the cut in the computer. It has changed my life.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Which will certainly read to a really good sharpening.

But seriously, why is skate sharpening still done by humans? The operation could easily be automated. I am pretty tired of paying $5+ to get my skates sharpened and not knowing if I am just pissing money away or not.

Not really imo and not without a massive increase in cost.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I like to think of skate sharpening as craftsmanship. A good sharpener will give you a better edge than most machines. Might be placebo though, but I prefer the sharpening that my father does over the ones I get when I get them sharpened on a machine at my local sport shop

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
A proshop by me has an automatic machine. It's fine. Not as good a job as Pops used to do there, RIP.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

sellouts posted:

Not really imo and not without a massive increase in cost.

You need a mechanical arm that can move in three dimensions, a light to determine the hollow cut dimensions, and a pressure sensor for applying the skate to the grindstone (is it a grindstone? I have no idea what it is called). I'm being simplistic obviously but I don't think it's a very difficult engineering problem to solve.

Some place can take all the money they've received from lovely cuts they don't deserve to get paid for and invest it in this feat of engineering.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
It would help out places like where I play. The daughter is absolute poo poo and I think has no idea what a skate actually is. Her mother isn't bad but from the grapevine the guy is the best. But every time I have ever been in there he has never moved from his seat.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

poo poo I forgot my skate cut.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
A friend of a friend has a home sharpener. That's the ultimate in sharpening geekery (or frugality, I guess, if you've got enough hockey players in the family).

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Here you go, nerds.

http://www.wissota.com/skate-sharpeners-kits/911-skate-sharpener-115-volt.html

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

poo poo I forgot my skate cut.

I use a "can I get a sharpening please"

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Um, I might buy this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You need a mechanical arm that can move in three dimensions, a light to determine the hollow cut dimensions, and a pressure sensor for applying the skate to the grindstone (is it a grindstone? I have no idea what it is called). I'm being simplistic obviously but I don't think it's a very difficult engineering problem to solve.

It's already solved, one of the shops near me has a computerized skate grinder, will allow setting different rocker profiles. Just clamp the skate into the little saddle, type in settings, hit go.

Adapting that to sharpen skates seems like it'd be trivial.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

It's already solved, one of the shops near me has a computerized skate grinder, will allow setting different rocker profiles. Just clamp the skate into the little saddle, type in settings, hit go.

Adapting that to sharpen skates seems like it'd be trivial.

That's what I mean. It's tough to believe that wouldn't be a better way to do it everywhere.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
But if they build a machine that can sharpen skates perfectly, then what will we complain about in the dressing room?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I mean we put a man on the moon so sure, but the odds of something like that coming to your local poor rear end hockey shop and it keeping functioning seems real unlikely. Especially with a modicum of training anyone can do it well enough and with some real experience they'll be "the guy"

My local shop can't even keep the bubble hockey working. Hell of a skate sharpening though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The previous two posts are from people allegedly on or traveling to their Christmas vacations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you can't find something to complain about in hockey you're just not even trying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

But if they build a machine that can sharpen skates perfectly, then what will we complain about in the dressing room?

Missing tape, warm beer, that guy, cold showers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

The previous two posts are from people allegedly on or traveling to their Christmas vacations.

I'm already at my Christmas vacation, hoping snow comes out of the mountains and watching a fire burn.

Sitting on a couch with a laptop. :nerd:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm 50% sure sellouts was literally on a plane to Mexico when he made that earlier reply about automagic skate machines.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Don't forget about crappy ice too. That's why I've whiffed on so many sure fire goals.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A dude snap hooked a golfball into our pool within 15 seconds of my being here.

Looks like I am going to have a busy week on our patio or pool chirping terrible golfers.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Was bored today, decided to waste time combining two things I enjoy (making photoshop poo poo pictures and hockey) for the holiday hockey tourney we're having in Austin.

If only I could put as much effort into actual hockey.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Blades of Steel was the best game ever. I should bust out the NES to play it.

I got sharpened at 1/2" and so much better. Though I did forget the gold rule to keep the head up and slammed a guy pretty hard. Got some nice bruises on the forehead, and a bit of a busted lip. Other guy got it right in the sternum and was wheezing for a few minutes while we both laid on the ice.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

So? I had time to kill at the airport.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Considering changing my stick from right to left handed. I'm right handed and always wondered why a lot of rightys shot left handed. I'm a poo poo stick handler so it's not like I'd be losing a ton of skills or anything. I figure I'll just use a right handed stick at home and practice lefty with it and see how it feels.

Anybody of you guys ever try it?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Nostratic posted:

Considering changing my stick from right to left handed. I'm right handed and always wondered why a lot of rightys shot left handed. I'm a poo poo stick handler so it's not like I'd be losing a ton of skills or anything. I figure I'll just use a right handed stick at home and practice lefty with it and see how it feels.

Anybody of you guys ever try it?

After playing right handed for 20 years, I tried for a few weeks to learn how to stickhandle and pass left handed, as a goalie. It only lasted for those few weeks before I said "gently caress it" and just used my backhand.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My in laws are celebrating christmas tonight but I have a hockey game at 1040.

I'm pretty sure I can do both. I hope they understand.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Um, I might buy this.

These guys are about 2 minutes from my house. Can confirm, great company and machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

calandryll posted:

Blades of Steel was the best game ever. I should bust out the NES to play it.

I got sharpened at 1/2" and so much better. Though I did forget the gold rule to keep the head up and slammed a guy pretty hard. Got some nice bruises on the forehead, and a bit of a busted lip. Other guy got it right in the sternum and was wheezing for a few minutes while we both laid on the ice.

I can still remember the intro to BoS 20 years after playing it. *shkingggg... Blades of Steel*