Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm in the middle of allergy season and have been dying the past couple months. Went to the doc and he said I have intermittent asthma triggered by my absolutely horrendous allergies, which loving sucks. He prescribed me a rescue inhaler and I brought it to the bench last night for the first time. After a couple shifts, I was pretty short on breath and coughing like mad (been happening for like a month now). I took a hit of the inhaler and 10 minutes later, I had lungs for days and felt like a machine on the ice. Ended up putting up the team's first hatty of the season plus an assist. Pretty wild.

Anyone else play with asthma? How much does it suck? This poo poo better go away after allergy season, although it is cool actually being able to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006
First game of summer league is tonight. Here's to not injuring myself. Go Hockey!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Although I know one flavor tastes like piss, and I want to say it's lemon-lime, but I can't remember.

I mean, really, is there a brand of lemon-lime anything out there that doesn't taste like piss?

Kinda bummed that I might have to miss some/all of my 2nd game since they scheduled it on Memorial Day and I have to work it. (we all have to choose one holiday to work in my office; that was mine before summer leagues were scheduled). Are there any rules about hopping into a game already in progress? :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As long as there's a roster spot, it shouldn't be a problem. We have people come late all the time. They just walk around the rink or come across the ice between whistles.

e: good call on the lemon lime.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Played 3 on 3 tonight due to the other team only having 3 guys show up while we had 5. 3 on 3 hockey is super fun but summer roller hockey is the worst. I'd still rather be playing hockey than not be playing hockey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone around me is super grumpy about anything less than 5 on 5. If we have ten skaters, people are gonna demand 5 on 5 even though after about two minutes it turns into 10 out of breath fat dudes pretending to play hockey.

I love 3 on 3, lots of opportunities to work on puck handling under pressure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would demand 5v5. gently caress 3v3 on full ice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

As long as there's a roster spot, it shouldn't be a problem. We have people come late all the time. They just walk around the rink or come across the ice between whistles.

Sweeeeeeeeet - going to cross my fingers for a late puck drop and haul rear end out to the rink (if it's the closer'ish one) after work.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Somehow I'm on a three-game goal scoring streak in my non-E leagues. Usually I'm a one-goal-in-five-games kind of guy. Feels good man.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Everyone around me is super grumpy about anything less than 5 on 5. If we have ten skaters, people are gonna demand 5 on 5 even though after about two minutes it turns into 10 out of breath fat dudes pretending to play hockey.

10 players for 5 on 5 is perfect. 3 full lines is better for banter and drinking, not so good for ice time.

sellouts posted:

3v3 on tiny ice is hella fun, though.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Southpaw posted:

First game of summer league is tonight. Here's to not injuring myself. Go Hockey!

Go Hockey!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Tied 2-2 tonight, I was not on the ice for any of the goals by either team. The other team tied it up via shooting from behind the net and bouncing it in off our defender's butt.

My D partner lent me a longer stick to use and I liked it quite a bit, the extra reach definitely allowed me to break up a centering pass that could have been pretty brutal otherwise. I'm liking playing D a lot but I'd really like to put up some points.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Ask someone on your team to swap with you for a game. Or maybe just a shift here and there if nobody else is confident/skilled enough with the position in a game where you are leading by a comfortable margin.

Also there's nothing in the rule book saying lower league defensemen can't score. If you get the puck at the point you don't have to rip this insane slapper to score, just try to aim a good low wrister at the low corners of the net. Either the goalie won't see it or it'll ping pong in.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Nitramster posted:

Ask someone on your team to swap with you for a game. Or maybe just a shift here and there if nobody else is confident/skilled enough with the position in a game where you are leading by a comfortable margin.

Also there's nothing in the rule book saying lower league defensemen can't score. If you get the puck at the point you don't have to rip this insane slapper to score, just try to aim a good low wrister at the low corners of the net. Either the goalie won't see it or it'll ping pong in.

Funky on edge floppy wrist shots from the point have made me the defensemen I am today, one with a couple points.
I have a senior length intermediate warrior stick I use for D and a intermediate sized intermediate easton stick I use for forward. I find it very helpful to have the option to switch and the shorter stick definitely helps me when I'm doing sweet dangles.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

sellouts posted:

Oh hell yes this. 3v3 cross ice, however is :krad:

If you want a different experience, play 3v3 cross ice but put the nets back to back in the middle of the ice.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nitramster posted:

My league is set up so that you can't switch from forward to defense during a game. It's a true beginner league and they really want to keep the games even so I guess the idea is that you can't put your strong player on forward, have them run up the score, and then move them to defense to protect the lead. I could play forward for a game but but I'm really defensively minded and not sure I'd be that effective. Worth a try though.

We're not allowed slap shots in our league and as of now my wrister isn't strong enough to make much of a splash from the blue line. I need to work on using my weight + flex. That being said even if I can flip the puck into the slot that'll probably help a lot.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I'm in the middle of allergy season and have been dying the past couple months. Went to the doc and he said I have intermittent asthma triggered by my absolutely horrendous allergies, which loving sucks. He prescribed me a rescue inhaler and I brought it to the bench last night for the first time. After a couple shifts, I was pretty short on breath and coughing like mad (been happening for like a month now). I took a hit of the inhaler and 10 minutes later, I had lungs for days and felt like a machine on the ice. Ended up putting up the team's first hatty of the season plus an assist. Pretty wild.

Anyone else play with asthma? How much does it suck? This poo poo better go away after allergy season, although it is cool actually being able to breathe.

Get Nasonex for your allergies, that stuff is made from magic and wonders. It just takes a week or so to start kicking in so be patient and take it every day

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

My league is set up so that you can't switch from forward to defense during a game. It's a true beginner league and they really want to keep the games even so I guess the idea is that you can't put your strong player on forward, have them run up the score, and then move them to defense to protect the lead.

We're not allowed slap shots in our league

This is the worst poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If someone's that big a factor keeping them from switching positions won't do poo poo, they should get kicked out and told to move up a level.

I have seen the no-slapshot rule, but only for goalies in their rookie session. Organizer doesn't want them scared out of the game before they even learn which way is up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

This is the worst poo poo

I don't mind it at all, this is meant to be a transitional league for people who are brand new or old people who don't want to play anything approaching competitive hockey. I don't intend to play in this league for more than a season or two and I think that's how they like it. They apparently kicked out a whole bunch of people before the start of this season because they were too good. I'm honestly really looking forward to getting on a team where everyone has a play to win mindset but I'm glad to have a league that I can play in where I'm not a massive liability in the meantime.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Keeping beginner leagues at an appropriate skill level is commendable but not letting people switch positions mid-game is some micro-managing bullshit.

e: Banning slapshots is probably good (the beginner league here does it) if only because it will make people actually learn how to take a wrist shot.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 21, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Do they provide you with a coach or something, at least? That's weird.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We have captains. Having a coach would be great though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Oh poo poo my green pants shipped. Can't wait to sport these on ice. Of course only 3 more weeks until they melt the ice for the summer.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

We're not allowed slap shots in our league

Wow, really? My league just pretty much went "alright, here's are the teams... Go hog wild and do whatever" and that was it.

That being said, there's definitely a couple dudes on some of the established teams that shouldn't be down here in the basement with us division 8'ers at all. :shrug: If we scrape out at least one tie this season I'll be happy and our best chance of that comes on tuesday when we play the other half of our LTP class that colluded with each other got randomly assigned to the white team.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Oh poo poo my green pants shipped. Can't wait to sport these on ice. Of course only 3 more weeks until they melt the ice for the summer.

I wish Tackla made some green Air 9000s. I'd buy those in a second.

D C posted:

Get Nasonex for your allergies, that stuff is made from magic and wonders. It just takes a week or so to start kicking in so be patient and take it every day

Yeah I use Flonase now and it seems to be helping a lot. It's just a pain in the dick having to now deal with asthma/wheezing on the bench after a hard shift. Hopefully that part goes away since summer is around the corner.

Also, banning slapshots is stupid. It took me like 3 years to learn how to do a decent slapshot anyway. I don't think policing slapshots is an effective use of time in a beginner league.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The beer league on PEI is slapshot-less. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
New stick day is a good day. :toot: Hooray for clearance sales and semi fast delivery, I now have a backup/longer defense stick.

Go Hockey!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man it'd really screw with me to use a stick that was a different length from normal.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I've played enough sports where "learning the game" means "getting blown out every week for years." I'm glad to be playing in a league that focuses on keeping things even. They also do trades throughout the season and move people up and down. I do want to play straight men's league within a couple years but I'm just not there yet.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Shift length was a lot better last week. We were able to actually get some breakouts and thrown some pucks on their goalie. We played the other half of our LTP class and lost 8-0. Their team somehow ended up with all of the best players and that team is a favorite to win the league this year. Our goalie is also very green, this is his first year playing in a league and he's only "played" a year and a half. Still a lot of fun and I'm not really caring about winning/losing, as long as I see myself improving.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bewbies posted:

Man it'd really screw with me to use a stick that was a different length from normal.

To be honest I kinda feel like I hacked my last stick down a little too short - I feel like every puck just goes skittering right by the toe of my stick. (loving glasses - I need contacts)

I'm gonna tape up the blade and do a light, casual grip taping and take it to stick'n'puck and see how I like it at the default length. If it is disagreeable I'll just chop it before my next game on Tuesday. :shrug: I'm still too new to know what would really "screw with me" at this point.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Some of the guys I play with think I'm crazy for getting green pants. Haters gonna hate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just get a green shell ya plug. My ccm supra shell strapped onto my tacklas well enough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

old people who don't want to play anything approaching competitive hockey.

a team where everyone has a play to win mindset

Ok dude.

I work with never evers and I agree with moving people up who are too good. I don't understand either choice your league makes. People get hurt, people want to try things, policing positions mid game is nonsense. Same with slapshots. I barely take them ever but not letting beginners make that choice and realize what happens when they wind up and miss/suck is silly. A league that cares about player development has coaching or a practice structure put in place. Thus few leagues really do. Just my opinion.

I realize you don't have any options though and glad you can make the best of it. :unsmith:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I've played on beginner teams where some people were just so freaked out to play a different position than usual that it would've been pretty unkind to ask them to switch mid-game. Making it an official policy is a little weird, though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

Ok dude.

I work with never evers and I agree with moving people up who are too good. I don't understand either choice your league makes. People get hurt, people want to try things, policing positions mid game is nonsense. Same with slapshots. I barely take them ever but not letting beginners make that choice and realize what happens when they wind up and miss/suck is silly. A league that cares about player development has coaching or a practice structure put in place. Thus few leagues really do. Just my opinion.

I realize you don't have any options though and glad you can make the best of it. :unsmith:

You're misquoting me there, my league right now certainly does not foster a play-to-win mindset. I feel like there are probably 3-4 of us on my team who are there to win and then the rest are there to skate and have fun. Not that I'm not also there to have fun but I can't turn my competitiveness off.

I don't think a league exists where everyone is an appropriate skill level for me but people are also really competitive. What I said is I'm looking forward to playing in a league where everyone is there to win but I'm not at that level yet. Hopefully for the winter season or next summer season I can get into a regular men's league.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

prom candy posted:

You're misquoting me there, my league right now certainly does not foster a play-to-win mindset. I feel like there are probably 3-4 of us on my team who are there to win and then the rest are there to skate and have fun. Not that I'm not also there to have fun but I can't turn my competitiveness off.

I don't think a league exists where everyone is an appropriate skill level for me but people are also really competitive. What I said is I'm looking forward to playing in a league where everyone is there to win but I'm not at that level yet. Hopefully for the winter season or next summer season I can get into a regular men's league.

Can I ask a (probably stupid) question? Why wait to join a league? Lack of a team? When I started playing roller, we just joined a league and went with it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just don't feel like I can hang in a non-beginner league yet. Even if in this super beginner league I got placed in the middle-tier division. I just came off an indoor soccer season where we went something like 0-22-2. It's hard to learn anything when you're just getting thoroughly trounced every single week and it stops being fun after a while. In the league I'm in now I actually get a decent amount of puck time and get to play against people who are around my skill level. If they need to run with these kid glove rules to get other people who are my skill level to show up then that's how it is I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They don't need to do that to get people to show up almost anywhere else, that's the point. At no point is anyone going "wow this league of never evers is great but the slapshot thing that no one is forcing me to do ehhhhhh I'm out" or "the threat of someone asking me to switch positions in the third period due to fun or injury so I could try it before committing to a whole game is too great and I really don't want to just say no, maybe I will get into another league". Just not happening. Folks play hockey and get into hockey because it's the best sport and they have the means/schedule. Micromanagement of rules serves no point.

Again, not an attack on you, but if you are excited to play super competitively then hoo boy you're almost in the right spot. Lower level adult hockey is usually treated like the Stanley cup by its players.

Edit: and evening the playing field is not either of those points. I agree with hyper sensitivity at the lowest levels in regards to player skill. Move people up when they're too good. You can do that, many leagues do that, it's great.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 22, 2015