Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

When I joined my first league I hadn't skated in years, didn't own a pair of skates yet, and hadn't held a hockey stick in 13 years. I picked up all my equipment at Sports Authority the weekend right before the first game.

Went undefeated that season. :smug:

Truth is I shouldn't really have been allowed to play, especially in what was a non-beginner division. I was complete dogshit on the ice, and didn't touch the puck at all. I still hang out with a guy who was on my team that first season, and he always says how amazed he is to see how much I've improved since that first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Fair enough, I actually would love to be able to work on my slap shot in games. I used to have a pretty decent one in ball hockey but I can't get it on the ice at all.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I'm not totally sure because it's not super relevant to me, but I think some of the leagues I play in or have played in are no-slapshot. My understanding is that it's more about not getting hit by wild beginner slapshots and/or follow through than anything else. Considering I've known big strong beginners who can put plenty of power, height, and wild aim into a snap shot I'm not sure how much it helps, but I can understand the justification.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm not totally sure because it's not super relevant to me, but I think some of the leagues I play in or have played in are no-slapshot. My understanding is that it's more about not getting hit by wild beginner slapshots and/or follow through than anything else. Considering I've known big strong beginners who can put plenty of power, height, and wild aim into a snap shot I'm not sure how much it helps, but I can understand the justification.

Good time for beginners to pick up proper shot blocking skills.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Habibi posted:

But not a good time for standing infront of/just wide of the net when a neck high puck comes through because Al Iafrate doesn't know how to keep his shot low yet. I'm sure that is the league's angle on the no slap shot rule, but, I hardly see beginners who can really get behind a slap shot so to me it seems pretty silly but I can see the league's position on it.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Heh, I've swung strikes right out of my skates trying to take a slapper, I've only connected once and it came off my stick about as hard as a drop back pass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I watched a 18 year old kid sever his dad's earlobe with a wayward slapshot a couple years ago. He'd been playing hockey his whole life. :v:

Sometimes poo poo just goes wrong,

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One of the things I miss about ball hockey was that getting hit was funny-painful, not scary-painful.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The captain of my (intermediate level) team plays D and I don't think I've ever seen him take any shot but a slapshot, or do anything with the puck at the point except attempt a slapshot. This is obviously terrible a lot of the time but it's a bit amusing because of how often he actually does manage to get a shot off. Like, the puck will come to him and there's an opposing winger maybe 3 steps away but he still launches into this slow, jerky windup. Everyone on the bench is cringing waiting for the turnover and breakaway but probably 60% of the time he somehow manages to get a shot of some sort off (though not usually on net).

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Had a game this week against a team we have played a bunch of times. Going over who to look out for before the game and we remembered one of their players had a wicked slap shot. Most of us decide gently caress blocking it. Well one of our D decide he's going to try and block this guys shot. Caught him on the inside of the toe box and probably fractured/broke his foot. Dude tried one more shift and didn't last 30 seconds :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The prices might be high, but there are some benefits to playing at an NHL practice facility. Ran into this guy at a random afternoon Gretzky hour earlier this week. He was there running some drills with his 8 year old kid and some of his friends. Mistook him for a trainer momentarily when I first got there, as he was skating out in a blue sweat suit and no gear aside from his helmet and gloves. Decent hands...for a goalie.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Habibi posted:

Yeah, please please please know what you're doing before you start trying to block shots on the regular. If you can get better coaching than some random dude with an anime avatar on a comedy forum, talk to them and ignore the rest of this post.

Pay attention to what your pads cover and don't cover.

Never lift one foot off the ice flamingo style. Never try to block a shot anything other than head-on.

If you're just starting out, just stand straight like a jackknife dive/oscar statuette. Try to make sure the padded side of your gloves face the shot. Your pads will have you pretty well covered, you won't be out of the play if you don't get the block, and you'll be poised for a breakaway if you do.

It's all about taking the right approach angle. You want to be square against the puck, not square against the player.

Don't stretch to make a block. You can hurt yourself by opening up the soft spots of your body, and half the time you'll just give them a tip anyway and piss off your goalie.

edit:

sellouts posted:

Also gently caress the new Bauer holders with the trigger release. poo poo begins to wear out after a year or so and the blade gets loose left to right. Nothing can be done to fix it other than getting a new holder. Buying new skates and immediately replacing the holder or getting custom skates with the older holder seem to be the only option, which is super annoying.
This was always my fear when I saw them. (It is nice when I have to play equipment manager on short notice for my players, though.) Thanks for the heads-up.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 23, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bigbillystyle posted:

I hardly see beginners who can really get behind a slap shot so to me it seems pretty silly but I can see the league's position on it.

Nitramster posted:

Heh, I've swung strikes right out of my skates trying to take a slapper, I've only connected once and it came off my stick about as hard as a drop back pass.

Exactly.

Way more dangerous at the "can do just enough to be really dangerous" level which is not the beginner level.

Also gently caress the new Bauer holders with the trigger release. poo poo begins to wear out after a year or so and the blade gets loose left to right. Nothing can be done to fix it other than getting a new holder. Buying new skates and immediately replacing the holder or getting custom skates with the older holder seem to be the only option, which is super annoying.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone who ever goes to HockeyMonkey make sure the price in store matches what you see online. They tried to charge me 80 for a bag that was on clearance on their website for 35.

That being said, pretty stoked to get an Easton RS bag for 35 that has wheels and is a backpack. It's a good bit smaller than my other bag so hopefully I still like it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 24, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went to rookie shinny last night and there were only a few of us and no goalies so we migrated over to the regular shinny game which had only like four skaters but then four goalies. Seeing the guys I thought were super good players but showed up to rookie to show off get dummied by better players was pretty eye-opening. Hockey's a fast loving sport apparently, beginner league is gonna feel like slow motion after that game.

I notice a lot of guys will do this sort of 2-3 jogging step crossover thing and then take off with speed up the ice, am I seeing that right? I want to accelerate like that!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Like this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXYBv24GmE

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably straight crossovers that get used a lot to move laterally as one skates up ice. Bonus is that you build a lot of speed doing that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Had an interesting day of hockey today. Played an 11AM game for my team and then a 2PM as a sub for a friend's. The first game we had 9 skaters and no goalie. Not for lack of trying - everybody seems to be out of town for the long weekend. One of our D volunteered to play 'goal,' and all things considered ended up doing one hell of a job. It helps that he's built like a 6'4" tree (and skates not unlike one), so shots that would find vulnerable areas of me would only glance off his shinpads, and some of their guys were being dicks and shooting high. I ended up getting the only goal in a 6-1 loss, but we outplayed the poo poo out of them, and would have won if we'd had a real netminder, as none of their goals came from inside the blue line. Their goalie also played lights out. According to the stat sheet, we put 42 on him, and they took fewer than half that. The second game was a 7-0 win that could easily have been 15-0 had their goalie not come up big repeatedly. None of the goals were his fault, we just dominated play. He robbed me once with a miraculous glove save on a shot from a cross-crease feed that I was sure was going in.

And then I had a shift where I rang the puck off the post. Twice. On consecutive shots. gently caress!

Final tally for the day was 1 win, 1 loss, 1 goal, 1 assist, 4 posts, and at least one incident of divine intervention.

The goal was probably the niftiest one I've managed in beer league so far. Somehow found myself between the red line and their blue line (I think our forwards were changing and I'd stepped up to pressure them), got on a guy who had just received the puck along the boards and stripped it from him, took it in alone against a solitary defenseman, and the rest was basically a cleaner version of this, except I was closer in and shot it far side, over the glove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkR2hPPY1qY

It's a move I've only really had a chance to try in s/p or drop-in, since as a defenseman I rarely find myself in a situation where I can even think about attempting to pull it out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

On a different yet tenuously connected topic, we had a situation in the first game where play was stopped after a scrum in front of our net, and both teams changed lines and got in position for the faceoff - at which point, now at least 30 seconds past the end of the play, which as everyone knows is an eternity for this type of thing, the two refs suddenly got into a huddle, and after a brief deliberation I heard them go, "That should be a penalty shot." "So call the penalty shot." And they did (against us).

After the game, I went up to compliment the two guys for doing it. As I told them, making what could be perceived as a[n extremely] late call like that is not typically a popular move for a ref, and most refs I've seen in that situation of realizing after the fact (but not before play resumes) that the wrong call had been made, will not correct themselves or their partners - done is done, even if it's wrong. And I thought it was in a way ballsy of them to get together after a face-off had been called, discuss what had happened, and make the appropriate call (even if it went against us). Throughout most of this, it was especially clear the refs were expecting me to criticize them in some fashion, and it took a while for it to dawn on them that I was actually trying to give them a compliment.

I guess what I'm saying is - if you see a beer league ref make an unusually astute call, help them feel good about it. They're afraid of you and so broken on the inside. :(

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The biggest thing I've learned over my 10 years now of beer league is be friendly with the refs, joke with them, be self depreciating, try not to complain much about calls, and if you do, smile.

After a while, if you have the same refs on a regular basis like most leagues do, you can work up a rapport with them.

THEN you can complain, and might get an explanation, or an apology about a bad call, or the benefit of doubt later on in the game. It has made it a lot more enjoyable and less stressful for me on the ice and on the bench. There's been a few times over the last few years now where between periods, or after games I'll go apologize to the refs about complaining about the play or the call and actually get an apology in return, sometimes even mid game, between periods or what not.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Had a shot the goalie gloved last night, but he tried to do the flourish to show off, puck rolled out of his glove and bounced/ trickled over the line.
:tipshat:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Were you playing against Matt O'Connor?

edit: hi chemmy

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Or perhaps the Patrick Roy Statue of Liberty.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

D C posted:

The biggest thing I've learned over my 10 years now of beer league is be friendly with the refs, joke with them, be self depreciating, try not to complain much about calls, and if you do, smile.

After a while, if you have the same refs on a regular basis like most leagues do, you can work up a rapport with them.

THEN you can complain, and might get an explanation, or an apology about a bad call, or the benefit of doubt later on in the game. It has made it a lot more enjoyable and less stressful for me on the ice and on the bench. There's been a few times over the last few years now where between periods, or after games I'll go apologize to the refs about complaining about the play or the call and actually get an apology in return, sometimes even mid game, between periods or what not.

There's a downside to this I'm noticing lately: one or two of the girls say flirty things to the refs, then a few of the refs think it's OK to say that sort of thing back to other girls. It...isn't well received.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

There's a downside to this I'm noticing lately: one or two of the girls say flirty things to the refs, then a few of the refs think it's OK to say that sort of thing back to other girls. It...isn't well received.

I try to keep the flirt down to a minimum...

Actually the female ref in the league has taken quite a liking to me. Shes asked my team before where I was when I couldnt make it.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've got some 15" reebok basic shinguard I'd like to get ride of. If anyone wants to pay for shipping they're yours. Only played a few weeks in them.

Also my friend has shown no interest in trying on my Bauer Vapor 5.0's (size 10) so gently caress him, they're officially for sale. 100+shipping/paypal fees.

for reference:

Played for about 1.5 lowest level seasons, never took a bad shot to them. Really good condition, only molded once.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 25, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Yeah kind of like that except also like xzzy said, sometimes done while already moving. I see a lot of stronger skaters doing it and it makes me realize that my crossovers are really kind of slow. In the space that some skaters are doing 3-4 of those little quick crossovers I'm really only getting one off and not building a ton of speed. When other guys do them it's almost like they're jogging, is that what I should be striving for?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Nitramster posted:

I've got some 15" reebok basic shinguard I'd like to get ride of. If anyone wants to pay for shipping they're yours. Only played a few weeks in them.

Also my friend has shown no interest in trying on my Bauer Vapor 5.0's (size 10) so gently caress him, they're officially for sale. 100+shipping/paypal fees.

for reference:

Played for about 1.5 lowest level seasons, never took a bad shot to them. Really good condition, only molded once.

Are these the skates you were talking about, roughly a month ago?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet something to look forward to on these X60's. :toot: The last dudebrolonghair that sharpened my skates kinda intimated the same thing.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
"We've decided to use a new technology in these holders because the other ones were working fine and we were sick of it"
-Bauer

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
"Beer League / once-a-week'ers totally need to change steel on the fly like The Pros just cause!" - Bauer "...oh and put a trigger on it cause bang bang pew pew murrica."

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

communist kangaroo posted:

"We've decided to use a new technology in these holders because the other ones were working fine and we were sick of it"
-Bauer

They are honestly fantastic for the pros.

Useless for everyone else though!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

Yeah kind of like that except also like xzzy said, sometimes done while already moving. I see a lot of stronger skaters doing it and it makes me realize that my crossovers are really kind of slow. In the space that some skaters are doing 3-4 of those little quick crossovers I'm really only getting one off and not building a ton of speed. When other guys do them it's almost like they're jogging, is that what I should be striving for?

Once you get more comfortable on your skates and your balance improves, you'll want to take those first couple of steps almost entirely on the toes of your blades - literally as if you're running on the ice. Being able to focus all that force into such a small point allows you to dig in, push off, and recover for the next step much faster than using your entire blade, and as a result you generate a much more explosive burst of acceleration.

How to Hockey guy talks about it here: http://howtohockey.com/how-to-improve-skating-acceleration

Is that what you're referring to?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

-Bauer

I think you mean they did it to stop step steel from competing with them (which is worse)

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Hockles posted:

Are these the skates you were talking about, roughly a month ago?

yea same ones, same pictures, send me a gmail (same name) if you're still interested for your friend.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Or perhaps the Patrick Roy Statue of Liberty.

Yep, first thing that came to mind

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

PFlats posted:

Were you playing against Matt O'Connor?

edit: hi chemmy

gently caress him.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

Once you get more comfortable on your skates and your balance improves, you'll want to take those first couple of steps almost entirely on the toes of your blades - literally as if you're running on the ice. Being able to focus all that force into such a small point allows you to dig in, push off, and recover for the next step much faster than using your entire blade, and as a result you generate a much more explosive burst of acceleration.

How to Hockey guy talks about it here: http://howtohockey.com/how-to-improve-skating-acceleration

Is that what you're referring to?

Yeah I think it's a combination of that type of acceleration with crossovers. I just need to get out in my gear and push myself until I fall over I guess so I know where the limit is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Russian circles are a good way to work up to it. It's easier to crossover on a curve so is good experience for doing it in a straight line.

The motion is fundamentally the same, it's just you don't turn your core into the arc. To me it feels like falling in a line diagonal to your direction of travel and pumping those feet to keep up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I need some suggestions for elbow pads. mine are almost wrecked to hell and the velcro barely works and is torn in the webbing part.