Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

he stays in the house almost the entire time, despite the play being 2 zones away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

Can I share this?

Do you play PHA? Of all the places I've played I have to say it's the one where I could most see myself taking some ridiculous retaliatory penalty.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Do you play PHA? Of all the places I've played I have to say it's the one where I could most see myself taking some ridiculous retaliatory penalty.

Note.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Can I share this?

Don't see why not, I harvested it off reddit.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Well, if you ever feel the need to play on a 3/4 sized rink in a shithole under a dying shopping mall, I can probably hook you up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Well, if you ever feel the need to play on a 3/4 sized rink in a shithole under a dying shopping mall, I can probably hook you up.

Apparently they're redeveloping that mall into a Santana Row style center and building a full sized ice rink in it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That's I think half the rinks in California.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That sounds like fun! Is there one on the west side of LA? I want to play on a small rink in a lovely mall.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Chemmy posted:

Apparently they're redeveloping that mall into a Santana Row style center and building a full sized ice rink in it.

Neat. Yet another opportunity for NIMBYs to lose their minds over how Cupertino is "turning into Manhattan". Sounds like a massive improvement, though, I hope it works out. It would also be nice if the operator for the new ice rink is not the same Ice Center. It seemed pretty clear in both San Mateo and Cupertino that their MO was to keep their facility as dumpy as possible.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pleads posted:

That sounds like fun! Is there one on the west side of LA? I want to play on a small rink in a lovely mall.

The ones I can remember were in La Jolla and Costa Mesa, I bet they dont exist anymore. The rink in Pasadena is always a fun one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

pasadena is cool but parking is weird and it already destroyed 1 car side mirror

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

pasadena is cool but parking is weird and it already destroyed 1 car side mirror

The structure across the street?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't know it wasn't me and out of respect of those who have posted before I will not name names

I actually have no idea where the lot is, I found street parking which was weird in and of itself

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Wait people make 3/4ths size regulation size ice and make you all play the hockeys on it??? I mean, The Hockey Prison™ up here is 3/4ths size but that's only ever used for S&P, drop in and rent-a-practice... never for games as far as I know... Wow.

Dear sellouts: You won't hear me bitch about Seattle ice again.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I forgot to bring my gloves last night, and ended up finding a pair of the skankiest, flea bitten, more duct tape and holes then actual palms gloves in a closet at the rink. I've never been so happy to wash my hands with scalding hot water & lots of soap.

Here's a preview of my next post:" MRSA and you, a beginners guide"

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Duke Chin posted:

Wait people make 3/4ths size regulation size ice and make you all play the hockeys on it??? I mean, The Hockey Prison™ up here is 3/4ths size but that's only ever used for S&P, drop in and rent-a-practice... never for games as far as I know... Wow.

Dear sellouts: You won't hear me bitch about Seattle ice again.

I only play on Olympic ice! :smugdog:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

DeNofa posted:

I only play on Olympic ice! :smugdog:

We've got one of those up here we play on a couple times a season, too. I kinda dig the big rear end ice sometimes - gives me more time not to panic-pass. :v:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I've got a 6 game tournament on Olympic Ice this weekend, I think we're taking 2 lines at the very most. I am excited for all the odd man rushes I'm going to face after everyone gasses midway through the first game!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

EvilTwig posted:

I forgot to bring my gloves last night, and ended up finding a pair of the skankiest, flea bitten, more duct tape and holes then actual palms gloves in a closet at the rink. I've never been so happy to wash my hands with scalding hot water & lots of soap.

Here's a preview of my next post:" MRSA and you, a beginners guide"

I keep two pairs of gloves and two jocks in my bag at all times out of fear of this.

Edit: also I have tiny hands that require 13" gloves (honestly junior 12" are too snug but still better than the 14" oven mitts) and I'm pretty sure I am the only person who doesn't use 14" gloves

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wear 13's, but only because I can't fit my championship rings inside 12s.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I wear 14s but only because the 13s are a little tight and the 15s are a little loose.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

doctor 7 posted:

I keep two pairs of gloves and two jocks in my bag at all times out of fear of this.

Edit: also I have tiny hands that require 13" gloves (honestly junior 12" are too snug but still better than the 14" oven mitts) and I'm pretty sure I am the only person who doesn't use 14" gloves

I am built like a small teenager, so I also use 13" gloves.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
wait the sizing on gloves is supposed to be your hands?

eidt: V dammnit xzzy this was supposed to be a dick size joke (gently caress I'm spending way too much time reading GBS)

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 26, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sort of. The measurement is technically from the webbing of your fingers to your elbow. But as that length increases, the volume of the hand increases too.

And since arm length is a stupid way to measure gloves (unless covering your skin is the goal) everyone just goes by how comfortable they are on the hands.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I wore 13 "intermediate" gloves for a few years. Needed some new gloves and the intermediate gloves were like $50 cheaper or something like that and the fit was actually pretty good despite not being classified as for adults. So I got a pair of really nice gloves for cheap. I eventually took a shot in the back of the hand that hosed up a couple of my fingers and went back to 14 Adult gloves shortly after. I've never even seen Adult gloves in a 13, they exist?

E: huh I guess they do exist. I never see them in stores though, just 14 or 15. I guess I'll have to buy my next pair online.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 26, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wear 13's, but only because I can't fit my championship rings inside 12s.

Guess I'll have to step up to 14" after this season :smug:

bigbillystyle posted:

I wore 13 "intermediate" gloves for a few years. Needed some new gloves and the intermediate gloves were like $50 cheaper or something like that and the fit was actually pretty good despite not being classified as for adults. So I got a pair of really nice gloves for cheap. I eventually took a shot in the back of the hand that hosed up a couple of my fingers and went back to 14 Adult gloves shortly after. I've never even seen Adult gloves in a 13, they exist?

E: huh I guess they do exist. I never see them in stores though, just 14 or 15. I guess I'll have to buy my next pair online.

The selection of them is usually smaller than the standard 14". On the plus side, when poo poo goes on clearance the 13" gloves are usually left.

I suppose it might be a preference thing too. I like a 13" with a form fitting grip and cuff rather than loose all around traditional glove style.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Sort of. The measurement is technically from the webbing of your fingers to your elbow. But as that length increases, the volume of the hand increases too.

And since arm length is a stupid way to measure gloves (unless covering your skin is the goal) everyone just goes by how comfortable they are on the hands.

My goal is always just gloves that are small enough and flexible enough that they actually stay on my hands, which was not the case with my first pair.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I tried a game with form fitted gloves and it felt like I was fisting a chicken ... actually more like one of those small Cornish game hens.

But really 14" traditional 4 roll style gloves are the shiiiiiit and I won't hear otherwise.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Verman posted:

I tried a game with form fitted gloves and it felt like I was fisting a chicken ... actually more like one of those small Cornish game hens.

But really 14" traditional 4 roll style gloves are the shiiiiiit and I won't hear otherwise.

Oh great, now I'm going to be thinking about hockey gloves next time I've got to rinse and stuff a chicken.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Verman posted:

I went back to my first pair of traditional gloves after using my snug fit cuffs and palm. I actually got pissed off with how poorly I was able to handle my stick. Felt like I was using mittens or some poo poo. (these were 13" also)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

:stonklol: That was.... vivid.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I like to keep my gloves loose because you never know when you'll have to whip them into the air and pretend to shoot them down like it is duck season

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ahhhhh we lost the championship after the other team scored a goal with one minute left in the third. gently caress!

And now I have over a month until my winter season starts... what am I supposed to do with my wednesdays?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Prepare all your pre-game meals in advance

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I generally use my beer league offseason to hit the beer gym and work on the core beer muscles that help round out a beer fundamental beer athleticism necessary beer for a beer competitive beer season beer since they beer aren't beer something beer I beerbeer focus beer beerbeerbeeeeeeeeerrbbbbbbbbbbb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The way my rinks schedule things, I don't really get any kind of off-season. Playoffs end, the next season fires right up.

Sometimes there's a week gap so I just go to a drop-in.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Well, gently caress. Went into three semifinals with three different teams this week. Lost them all in games we could/should have won. Every single one was rife with hit posts and missed opportunities (earlier in the week, one of the better players on that particular team muffed two breakaway opportunities). Last night was the worst. Lost a one goal lead on an own goal in the second. Then, with four minutes left in the third, one of our lines, in the course of sixty seconds, allowed a goal, scored a goal, and then allowed another goal to give the opposing team a one goal lead with a few left to play. Blah. Good thing next season starts in just over a week.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Lost and won two playoff games last night. First was my goalie game, against the first place team 4-peat dynasty that drafted me for the upcoming season. Put on a show keeping my last place team in the game 2-2, and overtime remained scoreless, but lost in a shootout to a really good toe-drag forehand. Favorite save was a shot my D deflected up into and over my shoulder, and somehow reached behind me and swatted it away with my glove. We'll see if I poo poo the bed next season.

Second playoff game was right after the first, so I had to strip down my goalie gear and put on the skater gear within 10 minutes. The game itself went alright, I was gassed. Managed to win 2-1 in overtime.

At least I got one.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
LA Area Mini Rinks: Promenade on the Peninsula

Rolling Hills Estate (Palos Verdes) mall http://goo.gl/T7hKdN
They play 3v3 http://goo.gl/qJ4NoH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've watched those guys play 3v3 after stick times up there. Just as you would expect it's a very up and down game, lots of shots on goal and you better have good cardio. Goalies aren't standing around watching their offense for very long. I would want to try at least 1 season of that at some point.

Also if any of you so cal guys have never been to stick time there, it's only 8 bucks and devolves into a very chill pick up really quickly. Each time I've been the crowd is really friendly, usually a lot of teenagers practicing their dangles on eachother but if you chit-chat with them on the bench they'll pass it around.

The anti-thesis of the Palos Verdes Surfers.