Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

Canada should never have shared hockey with the rest of the world, look what you idiots are doing to it.

Canada ain't much of a steward either. All your NHL teams are a comedy of errors.

And that Don Cherry thing, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zip! posted:

:siren:Thunderdome UK Edition!:siren:

We got drawn the serious business Ref who goes around finger checking peoples chin straps on faceoffs, so to say he was calling every little minor infraction is an understatement. It took us an hour and 20 minutes to play the first period alone. Tempers started to flare, to the point where both teams were discussing calling the game off so not to deal with the Ref anymore. There were mystery penalties everywhere, a 5'7 midget player somehow managed to get a 2+10 for checking to the head for being skated into by a 6'5 guy. Eventually it all kicked off, one of our guys got the poo poo boarded out of him and in retaliation threw a gloved punch/shove at the guys shoulder - 5 + game, 3 game suspension apparently.

This dialed things up further, the guy who did the boarding got out of the box after his 2 minutes and then immediately went and charged/cross checked a guy from behind over his own goalie. This kicks off another fight, an actual one this time, and our guy beats the poo poo out of him - the kid was throwing punches, but kept his gloves on so apparently that doesn't count as fighting - he gets 2 mins, our guy gets a 5 + game - outstanding. Things started even chippier from there, late hits, high hits, more penalties.

The fun didn't stop there, our rink is a dump that doesn't have glass around the boards - it has netting. The offshoot of this is that you can very easily have, erm, "conversations" with spectators because you can hear very clearly what is being said back and fourth. Our illustrious boarding, cross checking (but not fighting!) hero decides to take advantage of this after getting chirped about his play so far, decides to inform a spectator that, among other things, he'd hosed his mom and that she was a dirty bitch. What our hero didn't realise was that the guy's mother was standing right next to him at the time. What he also didn't realise was that the guy he was insulting is 6'5, built like a brick poo poo house and had recently got out of Prison for Assault and GBH amongst other things. Cue said angry giant absolutely losing it, first trying to fight him through the netting at the boards, then going round to the players benches and trying to fight him there too. Security called, police called. Good times.

Eventually we finished the game about 3 and half hours after it started. I think there must have been triple digit PIMs. Oh yeah, some hockey in between all of that was played and we managed to win. Hockey is cool and good :toot:

This guy is awesome. I want him on my team. Mom jokes are always hilarious.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
We got an e-mail from our leauge director last night that, from now on, 3 roughing/ cross-checking/ unsportsman-like etc. penalties would result in a 1 game suspension. She also added something about how no one, not even beer league refs, deserve to be talked to that way. So something must have happened at one of the other games! :v:

Also in mouthguard chat, I use Under Armour ArmourShields. I got one for like :10bux: at a Marshall's or something one time. I like them because they're slanted I think, so they lock onto your upper teeth/roof of your mouth. I tried using a regular mouthguard one time when I couldn't find the UA one, it sucked. Like a big block of rubber in your mouth. I probably wouldn't pay the full $30 retail, but if I saw another on sale I'd buy it as a backup.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just got my SISU guard. Fits really nicely and came in time to try it out tomorrow during pick up before game time on Sunday. The Amazon reviews were pretty great, it's wasn't that hard to fit and form but apparently it is to most Amazon reviewers.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Took me three tries, first time the sides ended up not covering my teeth near the back, second time I overcompensated and ran the gaurd up into my gums, third time I got it close enough to be okay with it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

Canada ain't much of a steward either. All your NHL teams are a comedy of errors.

And that Don Cherry thing, ugh.

All kidding aside like 50% of every team in the NHL is Canadian so every team is basically Canada and co., sorry :canada:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was just gonna cite us having every meaningful gold medal in international hockey right now.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Pleads posted:

I was just gonna cite us having every meaningful gold medal in international hockey right now.

So are only men's medals meaningful, or are you just ruling out IIHF world's and the four nations cup?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Both.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

For as long as your silly country still has our Queen on your money, all of your achievements technically belong to us soooo......

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, America really did it right. Went to war over independence, made all our money the exact same size and the exact same color.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

American bills were a huge pain in the rear end when I was in LA. Colour-coded plastic fun money is a lot easier to work with.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

So what you're saying is...every four years, Canada sends Sidney Crosby to the Olympics.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm sure if you look back far enough there's an Olympics where Sidney Crosby did not attend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We're starting to fix it. In the name of anti-counterfeiting a lot of our bills now have colors on them. Wrong reasons, good result. I guess.

As a born and bred American I've never had issue with it.

But in the interests of making life easier for everyone else in the world I see no reason to cling to tradition, but a lot of us yanks get really loving crabby about it.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Pleads posted:

Should back your money with those medals so then maybe it'll be worth something.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Oglogoth posted:

Should back your money with those medals so then maybe it'll be worth something.

Shots fired.
:suspense:

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
americans defeated communism once and for all in the 1980 olympics and then went on to win the most important gold medal of all time

you're welcome, the world

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

communist kangaroo posted:

americans defeated communism once and for all in the 1980 olympics and then went on to win the most important gold medal of all time

you're welcome, the world

...and then completed the victory by hiring practically that whole commie team. :911:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oglogoth posted:

I think we're going the USA's tried and true route of military intervention in the Middle East.

e: Hopefully without buying your F35s unless we want to see something crash faster than the loonie.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 20, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Pleads posted:

I think we're going the USA's tried and true route of military intervention in the Middle East.

e: Hopefully without buying your F35s unless we want to see something crash faster than the loonie.

As internet users I believe the only manned aircraft we are allowed to support/fetishize for use in the current conflict is the A10 Warthog.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a 930 game down in Kent Valley last night. I was so happy to play in a rink that actually felt cold compared to comcast up in everett.

In the first shift, one of their skaters came up through the neutral zone and shot the puck towards the goalie from between the blue and red lines ... and it went in. I think the goalie was standing up and not prepared for anything yet. Thats when I knew it would probably be a lovely game ... and it was.

We couldn't connect our passes and played horribly compared to normal. The other team wasn't particularly good and didn't have any standout players but they were decent at cycling the puck which really broke down our defense. We got shut out 6-0 and nobody felt good about losing to a team that we could beat any day of the week, just not last night.

We play at Showare center next game which is something like 2 weeks away :smith:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Well, on the plus side, your boxscore says you guys only lost 0-5 :unsmith:

I'm fully expecting to get wrecked this weekend as the team we're playing has good passing AND our best defenseman/skater/overall player is gonna be out of town. Yeeeeeeeeesh.
ed: and also against the best goalie in our division ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

edit edit: Looks like we're playing an upper division team in two weeks after that... In the same div as you, Tank44 - I wonder if we'll end up playing you sometime this season? That'd be pretty rad (you guys will wreck us hah)

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 20, 2015

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Some kind soul decided to rent out the sports arena the ENTIRE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS for scrimmage games. We're also kicking off our informal winter league Saturday morning at 8:30AM. I guess that's one benefit of having an ECHL team local to me...

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Sharks Ice finally deigned to post a few more weeks of schedule and it turns out I only have TWO GAMES in the entire month of December. And the second one is 2 days before Christmas so I'll surely be on the wrong coast to play it. :wtc:

I'd just like to play roughly once a week without having to play in the hellhole of Vallco or the filthy swamp of Belmont, is that so wrong?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's because there's two huge tournaments between now and year end and lots of Jr. Sharks teams need ice.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
There's a Friday night pickup game in SF. Although there's only one more for the rest of the year :(

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
There are a couple of good pickups around. My real dream situation would be if Redwood City operated their Saturday night league on a punch card system like a CrossFit gym instead of having to sign up for a whole season and then missing half the games/risking divorce. Policing the level of play would be harder but it would probably help with inadequate turn out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't ignore those squats and deadlifts boys and girls.

I'd been neglecting the gym this year because I make poor life decisions but wife and I made a commitment to fix things last month and it started showing benefits today.

Crank up my new afterburners on a backcheck, lift a dude's stick, steal his puck and send it back to one of my boys. Feels good man.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
First shift in a game where we were super short benched and had just 3 players for the D line(s) tonight and I took a slew foot from one of their players.

Can confirm: those do not feel good.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Anyone know if the cage for a Bauer 4500 will fit a 2100? I slammed my head pretty hard on the ice today, I'm thinking it's time to replace my 2 year old helmet, especially with Black Friday deals coming up. I know it's a "downgrade", but in that university study the 2100 did best for Bauer at concussion prevention.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Cages **should** be universal.

Especially Bauer to Bauer, sometimes you'll have to get different hangars to screw into a different helmet.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

D C posted:

Cages **should** be universal.

Especially Bauer to Bauer, sometimes you'll have to get different hangars to screw into a different helmet.

Cool, thanks. I'll take a chance on it, they're not too expensive anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bauer to Bauer should be fine. I couldn't get an Easton cage on my Bauer 5500 however

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Easton helmets are weird with any cage it seems

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry you're right it was my Easton helmet trying to use the Bauer cage that was a pain in the rear end. I didn't try the other way around.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
This just came across my Facebook feed and immediately thought of you guys that record yourselfs. Looks like a great tool (if I had the money is get one for fun and stuff)

http://shop.soloshot.com/

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^^ - "The perfect gift for those friends of yours that have no friends." :v

Hey cool Duke's First Jerseys finally came in I guess I made the team :toot:

Also, yeah, you folks weren't kidding about the Athletic Knit stuff running a little small. After looking at their sizing chart and comparing it with others that I already had it seemed like a medium should have fit just fine, and it does. It just doesn't want to pull down over my breezers / the lumbar pad very well. :shrug: ahh well it's still fun and cool getting new junk.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Look at this manlet who fits into an AK medium.

Nice jersey though :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah, even I wear an AK large with shoulder pads. Medium without.