Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They think they're emulating NHL players is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I legit grabbed a kids stick last week and looked him in the eye and told him to calm down when he kept hitting the goalie after the whistle. It was pretty funny, especially since it was the kid who seems to get dumped on the ice at least once a game for doing that poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

V for Vegans posted:

The pucks fully covered while these guys are still whacking away at it is the problem. The ref is still at center ice because it's beer league so he hasn't blown the whistle yet, so they just keep hitting at the backside of the goalies glove in hopes of him lifting up his hand and letting them get at the puck again.

So if some rear end in a top hat is whacking the poo poo out of a covered puck shove him over and tell him to knock it off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pls don't slash goalies

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 29, 2016

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
My move has made me go from 2-3 skates a week to zero. There is drop in up here Wednesday night, but it's an hour from work and almost an hour back home. Hoping the drop in will be scrimmage style and have at least one goalie.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Don't hit a covered puck. I'm still trying to understand how someone got cut up from a goalie skate. How out of control do you have to be too end up with your hand near the goalie's skate?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I don't know that it would be an issue of playing out of control, necessarily, just one of those weird things that happens.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have to imagine that if you show up to beginner shinny just to dangle from end to end and never pass you must be a super cool guy/girl irl.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

prom candy posted:

I have to imagine that if you show up to beginner shinny just to dangle from end to end and never pass you must be a super cool guy/girl irl.

I was at a drop in where some kid showed up who was like that, and it only got worse when a couple of girls showed up to play too. Every time he got the puck he would just try to dangle around everyone, and even took his helmet off so they could see his smug face while he did it. He then left immediately when he finnally got a good look at the girls faces and determined that they weren't cute enough for him.

It was extremely goofy, which made up for the fact that I barely got to touch the puck that game and when I did I tried my hardest not to pass to him because I knew the rest of the team wouldn't get to touch the puck unless he scored or the other team stole it from him.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

V for Vegans posted:

I was at a drop in where some kid showed up who was like that, and it only got worse when a couple of girls showed up to play too. Every time he got the puck he would just try to dangle around everyone, and even took his helmet off so they could see his smug face while he did it. He then left immediately when he finnally got a good look at the girls faces and determined that they weren't cute enough for him.

It was extremely goofy, which made up for the fact that I barely got to touch the puck that game and when I did I tried my hardest not to pass to him because I knew the rest of the team wouldn't get to touch the puck unless he scored or the other team stole it from him.

I had one of those earlier today. Eventually one of the guys got annoyed and checked him pretty hard in front of the ladies.

A good thing imho, because I got to play some decent hockey after. Two hour sessions are good!

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
So I joined up for a memorial day tournament in SF, in a 4-team beginner's tier. Our team was kind of ad-hoc, put together last minute with no one knowing each other. We've lost our 3 games 8-5, 14-1, and 10-0...at this point the tournament organizer got pissed off and kicked the two ringer teams into the playoffs up a division and we get to play the team that beat us 8-5 for the "beginners championship" in a few hours :D

Ah, rec hockey.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
It warms my heart to know there is a tourney director out there watching out for ringers.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Bradf0rd posted:

Don't hit a covered puck. I'm still trying to understand how someone got cut up from a goalie skate. How out of control do you have to be too end up with your hand near the goalie's skate?

Without the aid of MS Paint skills to illustrate, he was down near the crease off to the side kinda. Where forwards go when they're trying to sneak one past the defender covering the slot. Another forwardy skater tossed the puck across the crease to him from high on the faceoff circle. Being the beer league skaters we are, he tried to one time it and lost balance, falling forward while the goalie recorrected to cover the threat on his back side and kinda ran over dude's hand. He had on super short cuffed gloves which probably didn't help him a lot compared to the sick stick handling advantage they're supposed to bestow on the wearer.

It was kind of a calamity of errors. Neither the goalie or the skater were new, it was just a freak accident. Dude is going to be fine though, and the goalie with the bloody skate is a good gimmick.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hockey is fun.

Skated down the left side, got in and popped a snap shot to the far post and hear a big ol PING and see the puck skid in to the back of the goalies pads where she covers it. Could have sworn I hit the goddamn post again and it just bounced into her back. Play stops, I kinda chop my stick down on the ice with an exasperated "again?!? ugh..."

Turns out it did actually go in :shrug::siren::shrug: I'll take it!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had 7 guys show up tonight. gently caress me I'm tired.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We average 8 a game, I feel your pain :(

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
We usually hit our sweet spot at 10/game but now it's playoffs and in true to form, all the subs want to know if we need skaters and all the full time players that had too much to do in the regular season have let us know that they "won't miss any more games."

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I've been playing a Wednesday night pickup for the last few weeks and the guy that runs it texts everyone he can to make sure that 20 players and 2 goalies show up. The past two weeks we've had 21 players show up because of guys not responding to texts/saying they aren't showing up and showing up anyway. Having 11 guys on the bench sucks. Last week a kid showed up at 8:30, for an 8pm skate, saw there were 10 on each bench and dressed anyway and just hopped on our bench. I hate that poo poo. If you show up a half hour late and both benches are full, sorry dude better luck next week.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

delpheye posted:

"won't miss any more games."

Oh god I haven't heard that in a long time. I'm having flashbacks to half empty benches now, thanks :stare:

Do any skate sales show up before summer, aside from clearance type stuff? Almost had some Ribcors over the weekend but Hockey Giant sold out of my size.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so we finished our skate tonight and we are walking into the locker room. a teammate of mine checks his phone, and just kind of drops it on the floor and then drops to his knees. we asked him what was wrong of course, and after a few minutes he managed to get out that he'd gotten a message that his son killed himself. we just sat there in stunned silence for a long time, eventually we helped him get undressed and i drove him home. I just kind of dropped him off, he didn't say anything, went inside and shut the door.

i dunno, I saw some pretty depressing poo poo over eight or so years of the wars but that whole episode might be the most depressing thing I've ever experienced.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's probably not something you should text message someone. That poor guy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Jesus Christ that sucks man.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Who the hell texts that????

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I mean, if they had been trying to reach him by phone but couldn't because he was playing, it's probably better than the mysterious "call me back it's important" VM/text routine.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Wow that is rough. :(

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
"If I had just talked to him instead of going to play."

Rest of that guys life. Not correct or fair, but everyone blames themselves.

Good job driving him home as well.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure whoever it was did try and call, and I don't know if it was a text or an email. either way it was pretty awful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, that's awful...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well poo poo, I don't even know how you can help with that, christ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing you can do, just be there to offer help if they ask for it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So in pointless stories a dude trying deflect my one timer from the point got shoved in the back and basically went to one knee.

My shot hit his stick, snapped it in half while also hitting his finger and almost breaking it.

Feels nice to shoot the puck that hard and the shot was a pretty good height for the tip, just bad luck he was falling when it came through (and that it was the one out of 10 that I actually stepped on a bit). I thought I cracked it off his shin pads with the sound it made.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

sellouts posted:

So in pointless stories a dude trying deflect my one timer from the point got shoved in the back and basically went to one knee.

My shot hit his stick, snapped it in half while also hitting his finger and almost breaking it.

Feels nice to shoot the puck that hard and the shot was a pretty good height for the tip, just bad luck he was falling when it came through (and that it was the one out of 10 that I actually stepped on a bit). I thought I cracked it off his shin pads with the sound it made.

The big question is: Did it go in? 2 or 3 of the 6 goals we gave up this week were deflections off our own players. Just weird luck.

In other news, I finally scored a goal, for I think only the second time? Maybe third?
I was third Forward in, staying high, and right as I reached the slot the puck came out of the scrum behind the net. Right to me, and I one-timed it 5-hole. :coal:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was playing pickup at lynnwood last night and the ice was broke. The refrigeration system wasn't working so they shut it off.

They didn't clean the ice because they thought it wouldn't freeze. He did adry scrape which helped at first. We started playing and it was noticeably soft. As we played it literally melted as we skated. Apparently they're draining it and the rink will be down for a while.

I played defense and got 1 assist. My partner kept forgetting which side he was on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any recommendations on a net for home? Preferably one with the backstop thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought a 20x20 foot hunk of fishing net from Amazon, or around that size, and hung it in the garage. If I feel the need for targets I hang soda cans off it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Am willing to spend more than $1.75 + CRV.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hockey Giant has that EZ goal net with backstop on sale this weekend for like $125.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ez goals are pretty reliable, probably the best value

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Hockey is over for a few months for me while they do the state fair. I'm looking to replace my elbow and shin pads. Right now I'm using the 12k for both. Recommendations? When do the last year stuff go on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two months ago.