Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Why

Can't

I

Hit

In

loving

One

Timers.

E: Oh hey, new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Did you remember to take the safety off?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Step one is to have your blade on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately one timers require quality passes and skilled shooters, two things that don't exist in beer league.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

dogstile posted:

Why

Can't

I

Hit

In

loving

One

Timers.

E: Oh hey, new page.

One timers are best approached like swinging at a baseball. IE: Don't take your eye off the puck. At Stick and Puck/practice/whatever, throw one up against the side boards nearish the point and shoot off the ricochet. While I still feel like I'm horrible at them, starting off just connecting with a wrist shot helped me immensely.

Do this 1,000,000 times.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

With a dominating summer season record of 1-7, we some how made the playoffs.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

delpheye posted:

One timers are best approached like swinging at a baseball. IE: Don't take your eye off the puck. At Stick and Puck/practice/whatever, throw one up against the side boards nearish the point and shoot off the ricochet. While I still feel like I'm horrible at them, starting off just connecting with a wrist shot helped me immensely.

Do this 1,000,000 times.

Yeah, watch the puck. It helps if you already have a decent slap shot and it also helps if you have a friend that is equally interested in slapping one timers so that you can practice giving them and getting them without having to deal with throwing one off the boards and having it get to you with enough speed to simulate an actual pass. A friend of mine and I give each other one timers for a few minutes before we skate one of our pickup games since there is nobody on the ice before us and we can get on a little bit early for some extra stickin around time. They are super fun when you get the hang of them. Then when you get the hang of them you'll eventually get that situation in a game where you'll get the chance to actually shoot one! You'll be over excited and miss/horribly flub the puck and look like an idiot but that's the first step to getting confident enough to take one timers in a game situation.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One-timer slappers are the fuckin bomb. First time you bury one, you'll feel like you are all that is man.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I can hit it, it just flies wildly off to the side.

In my last three hours of ice time, i've had about five chances. Every time i've hosed it up, but on two of the occasions i've missed by about an inch. Just frustrated! I'll work on it some more tomorrow night, got a nice midnight session to try it out some more.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I had a nice one time slapper last night felt good coming off the blade. Only downside it was about 3 feet above the crossbar. No idea how the hell I got it that loving high.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Left your blade open and fudged up the follow-through, probably.

Close the toe!

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah, watch the puck. It helps if you already have a decent slap shot and it also helps if you have a friend that is equally interested in slapping one timers so that you can practice giving them and getting them without having to deal with throwing one off the boards and having it get to you with enough speed to simulate an actual pass. A friend of mine and I give each other one timers for a few minutes before we skate one of our pickup games since there is nobody on the ice before us and we can get on a little bit early for some extra stickin around time. They are super fun when you get the hang of them. Then when you get the hang of them you'll eventually get that situation in a game where you'll get the chance to actually shoot one! You'll be over excited and miss/horribly flub the puck and look like an idiot but that's the first step to getting confident enough to take one timers in a game situation.

The bonus of practicing with the boards is that you get practice using the boards effectively. Billiards on ice, if you will. Toss one ahead of you off the sides, catch it and shoot. Easy right? lol Also, a slower puck is sometimes easier to manage in the beginning just like everything else.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One-timer slappers are the fuckin bomb. First time you bury one, you'll feel like you are all that is man.

This man speaks the truth.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The joy from hitting a one timer pales in comparison to the joy I feel when a teammate flubs one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's a given though. Laughing at others misfortune is the best part of hockey. I particularly enjoy the guy who falls over the boards trying to get on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That hasn't happened in a while, but every game I hope someone tries to skate with their soakers on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I leave my soakers on until I'm ready to head onto the ice because there are holes all over the place in the rubber. Every time a teammate tells me not to forget about them, I guess they hate comedy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I leave my soakers on until I'm ready to head onto the ice because there are holes all over the place in the rubber. Every time a teammate tells me not to forget about them, I guess they hate comedy.

As hilarious as I think that is/would be, I can only picture someone's ACL snapping like a rubber band the one time I don't remind someone. Getting old is awesome.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Soaked probably wouldn't be the worst thing, but those lovely rubber skate guards would put you into the hospital real quick with a pulled groin or something.

But really, for comedic relief try clear taping the blade of your friends skates. Good stuff.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So I learned something this week: Don't try to go back to a non-grip stick when you've been using grip sticks for a while, not in the middle of a game at least. One shift with the old Easton and I threw it back on the bench. All I could imagine was going for a stick lift and throwing it into the stands.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had that issue when I got my Eagle gloves, the palms weren't as grippy as my old Bauers and it was like holding an icicle. I got some actual grip tape and made a handle out of that and it fixed things up nicely.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I saw a kid with these at the rink today http://www.xhockeyproducts.com/rollergard.html?m=Configurable&302=443&aid=3806&gclid=CK2i-7SQq88CFdgKgQoded0A7A

They look fun!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Brettbot posted:

So I learned something this week: Don't try to go back to a non-grip stick when you've been using grip sticks for a while, not in the middle of a game at least. One shift with the old Easton and I threw it back on the bench. All I could imagine was going for a stick lift and throwing it into the stands.

candy cane your stick with tape

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Development posted:

candy cane your stick with tape

Ahh good idea. Give it the Pastrnak.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft who needs grip on their lower hand, that poo poo's supposed to be nice and loose.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If I have a griptac stick, how will I inadvertently send my stick into the stands during my slapper follow through???

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Played or final last night against a team that was forced to drop a division, ended up dominating throughout the season, won the final, and are now being moved up a division.

All things considered they're a team that's played together for years and this was not only our first season together but the first season most of us have ever played. So coming runner up is still pretty cool.

I know people complain about refs a lot but, ignoring the usual complaints, the official was actually standing behind our goalie goading him, which is pretty hosed up.

Seasons over... what do I do now?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Put your gear way, preferably wet.

Drink beer, eat lovely food and do zero cardio exercise so that the next time toy skate feels like training camp.

Nothing like feeling further behind than when you left.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another plus for the curative power of hockey, had an ugly knot/sprain/something in my foot that had me wincing every time I put weight on it. Went to game worried I'd take one shift and be unable to skate but nope. Pain disappeared instant I stepped on the ice and didn't come back after the game. I'm cured!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

xzzy posted:

Another plus for the curative power of hockey, had an ugly knot/sprain/something in my foot that had me wincing every time I put weight on it. Went to game worried I'd take one shift and be unable to skate but nope. Pain disappeared instant I stepped on the ice and didn't come back after the game. I'm cured!

make sure you stretch it out and ice it just in case bro

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Second game with my new team and I wasn't nearly as rusty as the first. I'm still adjusting to this new league, as it's not a USA Hockey league and the refs seem to let a lot more stuff go. Refs at my old league would call games like it was the SCF or something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skated with my team the day after my work party (with a free bar) ended. Woke up drunk and kept drinking up until the game so i'd stay at "buzzed" and not "tired as poo poo". Did some of the best defence work i've ever done.

Clearly i need to drink more.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

dogstile posted:

Clearly i need to drink more.

The only answer.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Brettbot posted:

The only answer.
At least a tall boy before every game is a must.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Man, I *hate* drinking before games. I feel like it totally kills my legs. Heh.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Alcohol dulls the pain of another inevitable loss due to playing in D League.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

You can offset the alcohol before a game by smoking a cigar. That nicotine will give you some extra jump.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My pregame poo poo is all the energy boost I need.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Have a couple of heavy porters or scotch ales and participate in Whopper Wednesday before your game. You'll feel like a stone god.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Vargatron posted:

Alcohol dulls the pain of another inevitable loss due to playing in D League.

This might just be how I get through this winter league in front of the total garbage fire of a goalie we just picked up. :negative:

e:

Dudeabides posted:

Have a couple of heavy porters or scotch ales and participate in Whopper Wednesday before your game. You'll feel like a stone god.

Whopper Wednesday sounds like

xzzy posted:

My pregame poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

This might just be how I get through this winter league in front of the total garbage fire of a goalie we just picked up. :negative:

You know I post on here... :catstare: