Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"Graveyard Shift" with the logo being a skeleton on skates with a hockey stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Gshl, first game of the seeding round. We played at Kent valley last night, I live near green lake so it's not the closest rink for me.

South Seattle supremacy!...
...oh cool, my next game is at Showare Center at 11:05 on Monday night. What can I expect?

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah the pond hockey league I suckered talked bradf0rd into playing has it's first game of the new season at 11:10pm tomorrow night.

I was only suckered in to it because it was free for me. Goalies r dum. :haw:

Team name chat: The Neighborhood, then you wear old Edmonton thirds with a North Star's logo on them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

Team name chat: The Neighborhood, then you wear old Edmonton thirds with a North Star's logo on them.

Expect to hear from my lawyers shortly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah they clearly aren't busy working on any immigration issues for you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bradf0rd posted:

South Seattle supremacy!...
...oh cool, my next game is at Showare Center at 11:05 on Monday night. What can I expect?

Ice, locker rooms and boards are nice at showare, lights can get pretty hot due to brightness. That's late though. Refs will want the game to keep going and not tolerate a bunch of poo poo.

Assuming you're playing gshl, what division?

For what is worth, our game was called really tight. One of our new players got a 2 minute unsportsmanlike from the bench for questioning a play in a vulgar manner. They called a lot of soft calls versus letting things go too far.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

questioning a play in a vulgar manner.

There's another way?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

"No pucks given"
"McJesus' Saviour Squad"

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Ice, locker rooms and boards are nice at showare, lights can get pretty hot due to brightness. That's late though. Refs will want the game to keep going and not tolerate a bunch of poo poo.

Assuming you're playing gshl, what division?

For what is worth, our game was called really tight. One of our new players got a 2 minute unsportsmanlike from the bench for questioning a play in a vulgar manner. They called a lot of soft calls versus letting things go too far.

Yup! DukeChin suggested I hit up their Facebook page, subbed for a few teams this summer and now I got picked up by the Vipers in 3C. I don't know enough about the divisions, but from my limited sample size, we could possibly move up to 3B in the reshuffle at the end of October or whenever.

Seems like any professional arena, it's always noticeably warmer than your usual local rink. It was like that in Austin as well. I noticed in my first game the refs were really tight. They were calling too much man even if the play was on the opposite end of the ice and crease violations for the slightest skate in the paint. Then at the end of the game, a couple of us, myself included, got the lecture about keeping masks/helmets down post-game on the ice.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

Peter North Stars
No ReGreztkys

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bewbies posted:

so time to ask the internet a medical question

I tweaked my quad skating on Sunday. it hurt, but not enough to take myself out of the game. I got home, iced it, took ibuprofen, it was a bit sore when I went to bed and felt totally fine the next day. So last night, I did some sprints in my backyard and juggled a soccer ball for a while, no pain at all, so I figured it was good and went to my tennis match. I had to stop and start suddenly, and holy gently caress it hurt the same quad. Like, I was barely able to finish the set. Went home, iced it, ibuprofen, was sore, etc. This morning...nothing. Not even really sore. maybe a little twinge if I pick my leg up, but nothing other than that.

What the gently caress is going on here? I feel stupid skipping lifting/running/etc based on an injury I can't even feel, but I also don't want to damage this thing any further. Can someone explain what the hell my leg is doing?

I had one of these in the spring. Hurt it lunging for a puck, hurt like hell, but was fine the next day. Played dek two days later and all the stopping and starting killed me.

It took me about two weeks to figure out I needed to stop and give it time to heal (I went on vacation and didn't skate for three weeks), and now I stretch those muscles out really well before each game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

and crease violations for the slightest skate in the paint.

Hah, I know which ref this is.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Duke Chin posted:

Hah, I know which ref this is.

Even as a goalie, I'm annoyed with crease violation calls when the play is leaving the zone. Thanks for stopping play just as we regained possession!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Speaking of being stopped, we were changing on the whistle last night rather than freely. A mistake was made, we got onto the ice and the whistle was blown in five seconds. We got off, got back on a few minutes later and the loving whistle blew before I even got to the other side of the ice because the session had ended.

My brain is saying "dude, its two minutes of ice time you missed out on" but it's irked me more than i'd like to admit.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

dogstile posted:

Speaking of being stopped, we were changing on the whistle last night rather than freely. A mistake was made, we got onto the ice and the whistle was blown in five seconds. We got off, got back on a few minutes later and the loving whistle blew before I even got to the other side of the ice because the session had ended.

My brain is saying "dude, its two minutes of ice time you missed out on" but it's irked me more than i'd like to admit.
The old team I played on got into a habit of changing when there was a whistle (unless it was like 10 seconds after you got on the ice). What I will say is things seemed to even out. One game you might get shorted once or twice, and another game a different line will experience getting shorted. I wouldn't sweat it unless something is happening where you or your line specifically are missing consistently.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Why not just change on the fly? It's more important to stay out there for only 60-90 seconds.

I was once on a team where we had a guy who would literally stay out for 10+ minutes. Like never changing between whistles or on the fly. If he had just kept his shift times manageable he would have been an above average player, but because he didn't he absolutely sucked out there. Total traffic cone. No one said anything to him though because he just finished serving jail time for assault, and he would flip out if anyone criticized him for something, like not passing. We quietly solved the issue by having the rink manager tell him we folded the team after that season, and then registered separately without him. He flipped on the rink manager when she told him, so she said after that conversation he was banned from the rink any way. Fun times.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Loqieu posted:

Why not just change on the fly? It's more important to stay out there for only 60-90 seconds.

Its the session where absolutely anyone can show up, so you get people who haven't gotten any gear yet, don't know anything about switching, etc.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ugggh I blistered up my heels super bad yesterday wearing new boots and I have hockey tonight. This is going to suck.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I have to give two of the most tenured people on the team the news that the skill level of the league we're in has outgrown them and they'll need to move down to the lower level and it sucks.

We're 3-17 over the last two sessions and a bunch of people have told me if we don't make a change they might look for a new team.

This started as a total casual E league four years ago but has grown and spilt a few times, but the skill level now is way higher than when it started. They're like the last two from those original days and don't really contribute much and don't really improve, but it still feels lovely.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

So tell the people who want to leave to leave.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Broke my scoreless streak last night, gently caress a blister!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Scored my first goal in my second ever game, as a d-man. :smug:

Was hovering at center ice after an O zone faceoff and the puck drifted out toward me. No one was in the lane so I shot the slowest knuckler ever. Goalie probably feel asleep by the time it got to him, but it hit the bottom of the crossbar in the top right corner and went in.

Went on to win 5-0 with only 4 d-men.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

With only 4 d?

How many do you usually play with. That sounds like hell. We skate 3 regularly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Competent skaters like short benches. Fatties who can barely tie their skates without getting short of breath like nice long benches.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Has anyone got a pair of shorts they can recommend that would add a bit of padding to where traditional hockey pants don't?

I'm an idiot and I keep blocking slapshots. Everyone thinks i'm hard as nails because I just get on with it, but i'd rather avoid the massive bruises that I get every time it gets just in between the cup and the pad (think inner left thigh).

Basically, I want to keep the fearless tough guy reputation (because obviously that shits super important in beer league*) while being a pansy at the same time. Help me goons.

*it actually helps, where I play people fight and its kinda cool that people are avoiding me on the ice

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 3, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stop blocking shots with your dick?

Let the goalie do that, it's their job.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
This is my first season so I don't know what the standard is. Last game we had a full 6. I was a little surprised to have only 4 this week since I feel like there are a million alternates signed up but I guess none rsvp'd.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you're routinely getting hit anywhere other than your shinguards and maybe feet when you block shots then you're doing something very wrong

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

When I hear "I need to pad up this place I regularly block shots" I think top of the foot/ankle area, not crotch. You definitely doing something wrong. You're either too far away or going down (poorly) like a tryhard.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Suppose i'll get closer then :shrug:

I'm not going down to block a shot, I'll only do it to poke the puck away from a guy just out of reach. Even then its only if we're winning and it looks like they're about to tie it up.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Two 5-4 losses in a row... god damnit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

If you're routinely getting hit anywhere other than your shinguards and maybe feet when you block shots then you're doing something very wrong

this is coming from a person who drops to a knee and bare chested blocks shots during a pickup

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Our rec league always has a "pre-season" game that isn't reflected in the standings and this winter they had the option of a pre-season game or the administrator running a practice for 75 minutes, and we chose that option and basically did an hour of breakout drills as a team.

Played our first real game last night and holy poo poo what a difference it made! We never once got pinned in our own zone, and everyone had a place to be defending, and we could shout at players who *were* out position telling them where to go. Only won 2-0 but it was so satisfying to play sound positional hockey, probably the most fun I've had in a game.

So yeah! Learn to break out. 5 guys moving in transition properly is a great thing to be a part of.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being LOL MARKETING how gimmicky is Reebok/CCM pump technology? Does it work?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyduck posted:

On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being LOL MARKETING how gimmicky is Reebok/CCM pump technology? Does it work?

Total garbage. My first skates had it and while there's a good argument I am not a competent enough skater to be able to make proper use of adjustable heel lock, I can claim the bladder was unable to hold air after about three weeks. You'd pump like a madman and just hear air whistling out whatever hole had developed.

Locker room chatter about them has been basically the same.. the valves break pretty much instantly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It definitely works. I guess it isn't that durable though.

Also, even if the pump fails you, you still have the :krad: lace locks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A couple of guys I skate with have pump skates and they all seem to love them but they're all pro or high end models which I'd imagine makes a pretty big difference in durability etc

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

shyduck posted:

I skated on them for several years and the pump performed as described every time, but occasionally I'd feel the skate lose pressure and need to be repumped on the bench.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

z0331 posted:

This is my first season so I don't know what the standard is. Last game we had a full 6. I was a little surprised to have only 4 this week since I feel like there are a million alternates signed up but I guess none rsvp'd.

You'll probably see it shrink as the season goes on (and then everyone and their loving mother shows up for playoffs) and as you go up in level, but generally we play with 8-11 guys so 5f/3d - 6/3- 6/4 - 7/4 splits. This is about what you'll see in most beer leagues although some team showed up with like 15 guys last week and skated us like they were a prep school JV team and we made fun of them a lot (they did win tho our goalie played like rear end).

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
For how much I'm paying them I'm drat well showing up for every game they'll let me play. :colbert:

If others can afford not to, hey, more icetime for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I haven't had the issue with the bladders breaking, assuming they don't there's a benefit imo