Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Actually Skatetown does have a rule against this as far as I know - at least as of last Spring/Summer league a person had to be rostered by midseason and on the ice for at least half of the team's regular season games to play in a playoff game with a team. The director is a jerkoff though.

Yeah, this guy only had 7 games played for the Bronze team or so. Not to mention, the biggest issue was him sitting in the stands for the first period. Then he geared up and swapped out with someone for the 2nd and 3rd.

What sucks most is I know a dude on that team, who played the whole season in Bronze, didn't get to play in that game because of a bunch of ringers they brought down to play for that one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
It is Friday, did you get your skates?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha, I'm at work so I'm not sure. I'll find out at 5 today when I get home.

Of course Hockey Monkey never updates their order status page, so I don't even have a tracking number...

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Got to skate on mine today and they felt awesome, the performance increase was very noticeable. They felt so good, I stayed and played pickup after and had a decent game, I'm very happy with them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Playoff round robin game #2 tonight!

Team we are playing was the top team in the league, but they lost in playoffs to the team we beat 6-3, hopefully we can kill em and take top seed.

http://ashl-richmond.stats.pointstreak.com/players-leagues-scoreboard.html

We're the Killa Bees.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

Playoff round robin game #2 tonight!

Team we are playing was the top team in the league, but they lost in playoffs to the team we beat 6-3, hopefully we can kill em and take top seed.

http://ashl-richmond.stats.pointstreak.com/players-leagues-scoreboard.html

We're the Killa Bees.

Moist Bushmen :golfclap:.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just got a pair of Reebok 4K inline skates today. They're nowhere near my ice Grafs, but they're pretty good nonetheless.

I also just found both an ice rink and a public outdoor roller hockey rink both ~10 minutes from where I'm stationed. Today was a good day.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

shyguy posted:

Just got a pair of Reebok 4K inline skates today. They're nowhere near my ice Grafs, but they're pretty good nonetheless.

I also just found both an ice rink and a public outdoor roller hockey rink both ~10 minutes from where I'm stationed. Today was a good day.

Thats pretty sweet. Im in an opposite position as my inlines are nicer than my ice skates. I got my ice skates when I started playing hockey again not knowing how much I would be playing so they were sub $200 Bauer Vapors. I ended up playing a lot more inline and buying the top of the line bauer vapors at the time which were about $230 or so and now Im playing more ice which is prompting a new ice skate purchase.

And as far as barefeet go, I dont think there is really a significant difference between bare feet and socks spreading fungus etc. No matter what your feet are sweating and getting into your skate if you have a sock on or not. I wear a pair of thin dress socks that breathe well. I cant stand trying to get my foot into my boot barefoot because it generally sticks and pulls leg hair. Ive played a few times without socks just because I forgot them and I didnt really notice a difference. If anything I was annoyed how I could feel a loose thread or seam. Most hockey skates are stinky because of how people take care of them. If you air your stuff out it will make a huge difference than those guys who just take their stuff off, put it in their bag and leave it until next game.

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 1, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

WouldDesk posted:

Moist Bushmen :golfclap:.

Beer league is 50% sexual innuendo names.

Busty Shafts, Donkey Punch, Cleveland Steamers ect.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my skates. Woohoo! Gonna bake and sharpen these bitches tomorrow, just in time for the season to start. Yay Hockey Monkey!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

D C posted:

My favorite was Easton Fection

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Our team got kicked out in the first round of the playoffs, we were 3rd seed and played the 6th seed. We had gone 5-0 against this team in the regular season and lost to them two games in a row in a best of 3 series. :(

All their good players only showed up to half the games, so they ended up being a good team that finished low in the standings. Oh well, was still an awesome season and summer hockey is only a month away!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got my skates. Woohoo! Gonna bake and sharpen these bitches tomorrow, just in time for the season to start. Yay Hockey Monkey!
Hey man, keep that 24 hour no-skate period in mind.

EDIT:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, this guy only had 7 games played for the Bronze team or so. Not to mention, the biggest issue was him sitting in the stands for the first period. Then he geared up and swapped out with someone for the 2nd and 3rd.

What sucks most is I know a dude on that team, who played the whole season in Bronze, didn't get to play in that game because of a bunch of ringers they brought down to play for that one game.
This sucks so bad. I would totally demand a refund.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 2, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Well we didn't win, but we 'won'

Down 4-2 in the late 3rd we scored twice to tie it up. The other team needed to beat us in regulation to move on so they pulled their goalie with 2 minutes left, and it was a pretty epic few minutes.

We ended up losing in the shoot out after a scoreless 5 minutes of 3 on 3 hockey (was lame) We also took a penalty during that time (which moved the game to 4 on 3).

Anyway we eliminated the top team in the division and took first seed going into the head to head games which start on Monday.

I also got 6 minutes of crap penalties in the 2nd. I got a 4 minute bodychecking penalty for shoving a guy infront of our net digging at the puck during a scramble, which is 100% a hockey play, just the guy was small and he went flying. The other penalty one of their guys chipped the puck past me along the boards and I stepped into his lane as he tried to squeeze past me and he tripped (another hockey play) and I got an interference penalty.

D C fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2011

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was playing rat today at johnny's and this new kid showed up. His first shift lasts about 7 minutes, possibly 30 seconds total skating time. Couldn't stop, skate hard, turn, handle the puck, or keep his head up. During the skate on several occasions, he ran into his teammates and was fighting with them for the puck before realizing they were on the same team. He also went for the puck while our goalie was playing the puck behind the net and they ran into each other. In addition, he was constantly within a 2 foot range of teammates and loving up just about every play by stealing passes, blocking our forwards from getting into the zone, and was constantly offsides.

I understand that the only way to get better is to play but for gods sake, take a learn to play class or just pay attention to the game. I would have been really pissed off if I were one of the guys who was taken down.

On a side note, I got two goals. One from a beautiful tic-tac-toe play starting with our defenseman who shoot/passed to a player to the right of the goalie and then one timed it to me (in the back door) and roofed it, all one timed passes. Even the other team congratulated us on the goal. The other was from a breakaway where I received a great pass across the neutral zone and went straight at the goalie with one of my favorite fakes. Leaving my lower hand in position, I loosened my grip and pulled my stick through my hands like a pool cue (leaving the puck gliding straight), veered my body right and then returned my stick to the puck and put it in on the far side.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I was bored and made a shooting setup which was only like $30
http://imgur.com/CbvgE
http://imgur.com/jfPbl

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
That is awesome.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

dms666 posted:

I was bored and made a shooting setup which was only like $30
http://imgur.com/CbvgE
http://imgur.com/jfPbl

That looks like some goodtimes. Are you including the net in that $30? A rink I played at had a huge net from floor to ceiling and wrapped halfway around the rink to protect the throngs of fans (family) and it cost $10,000. I was dumbfounded. Hang up one of those Dr. Pepper bottle and fire away.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

WouldDesk posted:

That looks like some goodtimes. Are you including the net in that $30? A rink I played at had a huge net from floor to ceiling and wrapped halfway around the rink to protect the throngs of fans (family) and it cost $10,000. I was dumbfounded. Hang up one of those Dr. Pepper bottle and fire away.

I got a 15'x12' impact net on ebay for $20 and that 8'x4' whiteboard from homedepot for $10, and I guess you can throw in the silicon spray for $2 from Walmart that I wiped down the board with for extra slickness. The net is doubled and I put a piece of PVC pipe I had sitting around inside of it just to keep pucks from going underneath of it and breaking something

For anyone looking for a net, this guy has a ton and most of them are free shipping. http://myworld.ebay.com/nautical-nets-bouys-and-more/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

dms666 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 3, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get nets in the 10 foot range for $25, and the price goes up from there if you want fancy materials or whatever.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
What bags do you guys use? Right now I'm using a backpack bag that I used for roller but I will be playing on two teams this season and I dont know if I can fit the extra jerseys and gloves in the bag as its already a tight fit.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

poser posted:

What bags do you guys use? Right now I'm using a backpack bag that I used for roller but I will be playing on two teams this season and I dont know if I can fit the extra jerseys and gloves in the bag as its already a tight fit.
I'm using an EQ1. Basic bag, no pockets, just one big chamber. I want to sew some pockets and stuff into it, but I'm not sure how/where would be the easiest.

I had a backpack bag, but it didn't fit all my stuff in it (had to clip my pants to the outside) so my girlfriend is using it now. I miss it though, it was so much easier on my back.

If I were you I'd just carry an extra bag for the jerseys/gloves. The backpack is nicer than you think.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I have the cheapo Bauer Supreme bag. I think I'd like one a little bigger with at least one pocket but I'll probably stick with this one until it dies.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I just use a cheap CCM 36" bag that I picked up for $20. Its smallish, light fits all of my ice stuff, has one big compartment and a side pouch. Really basic and

I put my jerseys/tape/anything clean in the pouch and everything else in the big compartment. I dont have a problem carrying it around, I usually take it on public transportation and my gear isnt really that heavy.

I wouldnt mind a backpack bag, but sometimes they seem a little cumbersome. The wheeled bags seem nice but get heavier and arent that much fun to carry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those wanting a pouch, REI makes a bag they call the "flash 18" which I've been really happy with. It's got a reversible design that lets you use it as a stuff sack and has a simple drawstring closure. I got mine for $18 a couple years ago, it looks like they've upgraded the materials and set the price for new ones at $29.

I've found it perfect for cramming soft stuff into as small a space as possible (usually laundry, but I figure jerseys and socks would work just as well).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Taking a 2-hour curling class at my rink today, with hockey skills n drills right afterward. Today is a good day.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Haha, I noticed they put the curling marks on the ice. Was all :stare:

Vacaville's had them for awhile, though...

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

D C posted:

One of the guys at my rink is forming a team called Ice-2-Mouth.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Topoisomerase posted:

Haha, I noticed they put the curling marks on the ice. Was all :stare:

Vacaville's had them for awhile, though...

Center rink at Sharks Ice has the curling dots, screws me up all the time. My angles are off for shooting.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Center rink at Sharks Ice has the curling dots, screws me up all the time. My angles are off for shooting.

You KNOW you want to play DD ;)

Blackout
Jun 29, 2005

I am a deathdealer.
Anyone in Canada know of a good place to buy jerseys for a team? A bunch of friends and I are joining a league in the summer and we want to all wear the same thing. I've started looking around locally (I'm in Ottawa) and gathering some prices, but if I can find a better deal online that'd be great!

Also, if anyone lives in Ottawa and is looking for ice time, I run late pick up games every Friday at 11:30 pm so let me know if you want to come out!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Blackout posted:

Anyone in Canada know of a good place to buy jerseys for a team? A bunch of friends and I are joining a league in the summer and we want to all wear the same thing. I've started looking around locally (I'm in Ottawa) and gathering some prices, but if I can find a better deal online that'd be great!

Also, if anyone lives in Ottawa and is looking for ice time, I run late pick up games every Friday at 11:30 pm so let me know if you want to come out!

anything but ijerseys.com. I have a personal vendetta against them that I am going to share with all 140,000 goons

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress icejerseys.com too.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

trilljester posted:

That's the only surface at Sharks Ice I haven't played on - every tournament I've gone to there has been in an adult womens' division and I think they try to stash us in the corners. :laugh:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Folks, I just came in here to say: When you take a penalty, just go to the loving box!

We had one of our better players take 4 minutes + three games because he couldn't shut the gently caress up about a bad call.

You want to get a guy back for high sticking you or diving or whatever? Get his number and wait until the refs aren't looking. Is this really that hard to figure out?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

You KNOW you want to play DD ;)

I can't! If I play in DD, I can't play in the lower leagues due to the new house rules. :(

Topoisomerase posted:

That's the only surface at Sharks Ice I haven't played on - every tournament I've gone to there has been in an adult womens' division and I think they try to stash us in the corners. :laugh:

It's my least favorite rink to play on because the ice quality on it is often very poor thanks to figure skaters and/or open skate.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I think mostly everyone gets the whole "shut up, get in the box, do your time" thing. BUT the guys who don't get that, will never ever, ever get it.

We where playing in our championship game Saturday, we are down 4-2 but we just scored those last two goals in 2 minutes and we have 6 minutes left in the third.

We're in there end looking for number 3, and one of our best players is getting shoved a bit in front of the net when no ones around. So he pushes back a bit and the D man takes a dive. Our player gets nailed for it. Now he wants to argue it, and worse off he argues that it was retaliation (You never get off for saying "he did it first!") and ignores the ref when he says "get in the box or your getting another 2 for unsportsmanlike!"

So yeah that totally killed our momentum. Use your loving head, that shits stupid enough in regular season.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

I can't! If I play in DD, I can't play in the lower leagues due to the new house rules. :(

My E team is moving up to DDDDD because of the rules.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

My E team is moving up to DDDDD because of the rules.

You guys are going to have a great playoffs in E, any team can take it. Good luck in that.

Our EE team has NO chance of winning the entire thing because there are 3 or 4 teams over in the East division that are loaded with ringers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

You guys are going to have a great playoffs in E, any team can take it. Good luck in that.

Our EE team has NO chance of winning the entire thing because there are 3 or 4 teams over in the East division that are loaded with ringers.

I think its going to the Chieftains because they have 38 other teams to pull from or possibly your boys on Green Horn because of their super duper ring they have now.