Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

bewbies posted:

He was struggling pretty bad through most of the game, but in a way I wasn't familiar with: he was a very good skater, occasionally he'd do something awesome like shoot it really well, and his equipment made you think he'd played the game at a high level (he had an old beat up pair of custom skates, team color pants, etc). Most of the time though he couldn't do much of anything; couldn't catch passes, couldn't stickhandle, etc etc.

I know this was a few pages ago, but as I was reading this post (before getting to the end) I was thinking "jeez, this is how I felt two years ago when I didn't yet have my contacts" (I'm pretty much blind in one eye without them and it can't be corrected with glasses). It must be super frustrating for him to not be able to fix it - I know it was really, really frustrating for me and I hated telling people I played with because I figured they'd think I was trying to make excuses or something.

Once I got fitted properly for scleral lenses that corrected me to an acceptable level, I had people I barely knew who didn't know my situation coming up to me after games and telling me how different I was playing. Odd thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

Awesome!

How is the talent level out there? My friend played in NARCH (huge roller hockey tournament) and a bunch of kids from Sac State had a team and they were pretty good.

I play at Sharks Ice @ San Jose and our leagues range from A - EEEE and my friend played in lower D/E level as a semi ringer but played in a B league in San Diego.

Typically our platinum/Gold A level players at Roseville are competitive with low A/high B players from the Bay Area, Gold B with B/C, Silver A with C/D, Silver B with D-ish and Bronze with the lower levels, from the tournaments and such that I've seen. But there are really high disparities in talent within all of the leagues because there's very little control over it - you'll have people who played in Gold B (Tuesday nights) switch over to Silver B (Friday nights) or Bronze (Sunday) because they'd rather play on those days, even though they are way too good for those leagues. It's fairly unregulated and really stupid.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well the hockey director came on the ice and said basically since there was no explicit rule (even though there should be, also it's a jackass move), that he's going to allow it.

This dude has no backbone and doesn't enforce anything. It doesn't surprise me that he allowed it, to be honest.

Actually Skatetown does have a rule against this as far as I know - at least as of last Spring/Summer league a person had to be rostered by midseason and on the ice for at least half of the team's regular season games to play in a playoff game with a team. The director is a jerkoff though.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 1, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Haha, I noticed they put the curling marks on the ice. Was all :stare:

Vacaville's had them for awhile, though...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

trilljester posted:

Center rink at Sharks Ice has the curling dots, screws me up all the time. My angles are off for shooting.

That's the only surface at Sharks Ice I haven't played on - every tournament I've gone to there has been in an adult womens' division and I think they try to stash us in the corners. :laugh:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

So I got this email from a free agent I picked up:

Jared, you're cool no worries, and your email was perfect for me. FYI I've managed adult teams a few times so can help you through this, no worries.

I wonder why he's on the free agent list now. ;)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I played defense today.

I haven't played defense since high school 10 years ago

I still got it. :smug:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Echoing "bend your knees more"

You'll be surprised.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Ugh the stick conversation. I have not been able to find a stick that works too well for me since I had a z-bubble as a teenager. Best I have is a junior CCM Octogun but the lie is still a bit off. Intermediate sticks are too tall (I'm 5'1") and end up being too stiff by the time I cut them down, even the whippiest ones. Junior sticks are so drat light and never have a good lie. Seems like nothing anyone makes is really appropriate.

Similar issues with skates. I have to wear kids' skates and while they are cheaper and I appreciate that, cheaper = lower quality for sure, even in the "high-end" skates, and they don't actually make many of the best quality skates in kids sizes anyway. They bank on the skates being outgrown after a season so they aren't made to last much more than that. And I always need to get them re-profiled as the biomechanics of an adult female and the biomechanics of a prepubescent male are, well, not at all the same, even if the two may have the same size foot.

Annoying. :argh:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^No, because that's a lovely attitude to have. If you're in a league for beginners you either (a) are a beginner yourself or (b) should not be playing in a league for beginners. If you're frustrated with playing with people who try but aren't good, play in a higher league and BE the person who frustrates another player for not being that good.

On another note, just a random yay: I started playing defense again, after growing up in that position and then getting moved to center when everyone else in the league outgrew me in Bantams (10 years ago :gonk:) I missed playing defense more than I thought I did. It owns. That's all. :3:

also we entered our women's team in one of the adult divisions in Roseville and we've actually won a few games. Weren't expecting it so it's nice. :)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 4, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Ohh, you're on that women's team from Vacaville aren't you? I've heard from guys in Silver B that your team is doing really well. I think you guys actually contacted our captain (Auburn Alehouse) for a scrimmage a while back.

you would have murdered us

Haha, yeah, most of us have actually played at Roseville on different teams at different times though, not so much Vacaville except a few tournaments we've done.

Backstory that nobody cares about : there's another women's team that plays out of Roseville - dude who coaches the team carries way too big of a roster, took 4 lines to tournaments and stuff and ran lame, inefficient practices, all at a very high cost per player. So some of the better players from that team decided to make their own team instead about a year and a half ago, and gathered up a bunch of the women who were actually good in the area and we went to the CAHA tournament last year as a trial. Had a hell of a lot of fun, so went to a couple more tournaments and decided if we were gonna get better as a team we would have to play together more regularly so we debated either joining Bronze or Silver B. Individually (on guys' teams) most of us have played Silver A and above, but we figured as a team of women we might be lacking in the physical department a little for Silver A and decided to go Silver B.

I think our captain was asking teams in both Bronze & Silver B to scrimmage to kind of gauge where we should put ourselves back when we first came up with the idea. Silver B seems decent so far, I think! The spread of talent is just so wide in that league, I can't get over it!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

You would rather not have Sharks Ice running a rink unless they are taking over a crappy rink.

He's right about the way things are run at Roseville though. From my experience at both rinks, I'd much prefer Sharks Ice management.

Oh yeah, and the team you guys played last Sunday, HZ? If it makes you feel any better we dismantled them in a scrimmage and they got real butthurt about it.

edit: I always use tape to hold up my socks.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 5, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We don't do it weekly, but maybe monthly or so we'll rent the ice and invite a bunch of people. My advice is to get a lot of people on the list and say the first x to respond will be able to play each time. Overshoot a little because some people will cancel last minute or no-show, and then you end up getting screwed into paying more for ice time if you're the person whose name is on it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Hey Topoisomerase, guess which amazing hockey director isn't going to do anything about the team of all ringers?

From what our captain tells me, he may make all games against them exhibition games, but probably still allow them to play in the playoffs. Which doesn't solve the problem at all.

Dealing with him is accurately depicted by :effort:

What good does that do anybody? :confused:

There's like absolutely no regulation on people playing in leagues far below where they should be. I've seen people with night/friend preferences play down and like, sit back on defense and just feed passes to the less skilled players on the team, which is okay IMO and I think one of the reasons the "rules" on classification started being relaxed, but there are definitely a growing number of people who go onto the Friday/Sunday leagues and just showboat the whole time. I mean wtf is the point? Cool toe drag against these dudes who just started skating last year, bro. You sure showed them, I'll bet there's a pro scout right there watchin ya. :rolleyes:

And the worst part is that if he doesn't "like" your team he will be pissy about it, whereas if he does he just blows it off.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 23, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

runoverbobby posted:

adulthockey.txt

While we're on the topic of annoying tendencies in beer leagues, how long is everyone's typical shift? In every league I've played in, they are universally too long; people expect you to take two minute shifts and are reluctant to change if you try to end your shift early.

When I played on a team with guys, some dudes took crazy long shifts like 2 minutes yeah. My women's team it's 45 seconds-1 minute and we're really good about it. But then again, we work really well as a team in most aspects - technically we're a travel/tournament team.

edit: and it's still weird to me to get used to the dynamics in a beer league; prior to this I had only played travel or collegiate level and it's hard for me to grasp why people wouldn't want to play in the absolute highest skilled division that they could.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 23, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

I've never done organized hockey, but from what I've gathered, coaches are always directing the shift changes. Players both on and off the ice will know who's replacing who, but it's up to the coach to manage matchups and his players' energy levels.

When I was younger, the coach would call us off or ask the next person out to call it. But once we got into higher levels, (barring specific circumstances of course) if the coach had to call us off we knew the shift was way too long. And at the next practice, one of my coaches ensured that people who had to be called off the ice in the last game would get the pleasure of skating extra sprints to "burn off all that extra energy" they obviously had, since their shifts were so long.

Honestly, once you have played for awhile you kind of just "know" when it's time to change. It's hard to explain, but you kinda learn how to gauge the right point with respect to your own energy level, where the play is headed and how long you've been out. What I find is that a lot of players end up taking too long of shifts because the proper gameflow for a change is while the puck is controlled by your team and headed towards the other team's zone and well, a lot of people just don't want to change then even if they are getting winded because they want to score. Of course when play inevitably goes the other way they're exhausted and either wind up making a bad change or being totally ineffective at backchecking. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 24, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

bigmike posted:

Do the Matt Duchene Shootout Challenge.

I'd love to have a setup so I could try this out.

Thank you for posting this and I am DEFINITELY going to do it. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

This sounds fun:

IRONMAN
OVERNIGHT ADULT HOCKEY
TOURNAMENT

Ya, my teammates do these all the time, they LOVE them!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
:love: eagle gloves. love them. so much.

No breaking in the gloves, palms so soft. LOVE!

I have bright effing pink ones

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
one of the refs for our game tonight tried to tell our team that it was a real rule in hockey that you aren't allowed to skate the puck back behind your own net from the blue line and that it always had to be moving "forward"

and he was dead serious too.

Skatetown. :allears:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Minister Robathan posted:

That actually is (or rather, used to be) a real rule, I think it was just taken out of the NHL book like last year because it was archaic, and it might still be in the Hockey Canada book.

e: Hockey Canada has changed it to simply "The puck must be kept in motion", but that's a remnant of the rule.

Was it ever a rule in USA Hockey though? I don't recall it ever having been there, and I used to hold a ref cert through them...

edit: This same ref has also tried to tell us before that he wouldn't call a slashing penalty unless it was above the waist.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 4, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I found the rule the guy was referencing - it is under the keep the puck in motion rule as previously figured. The wording is really loose though and I do think the ref was either interpreting or explaining it incorrectly. The rule itself states that a player who has advanced past the defensive zone may not, with the intent of delaying the game, skate or pass the puck back into the defensive zone unless shorthanded. I would assume that if a player is being pressured by a forechecker all the way in that it would be difficult to prove intent to delay the game...

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 5, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

Is this USA Hockey? We have a couple of guys in Lunch League who do this all the time. I would *love* for them to take two minutes for their efforts.

It is in the USA Hockey rules, rule 629.c - I would copy directly from the rulebook itself but am on my iPad and it is a pain.

The result of the infraction is a face-off in the defending zone though, not a delay of game penalty (that's where I first looked too though)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Work on your ice skating.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

What douchey team actually scores 24 goals in a game? Are you kidding me?

Inline....

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Aggro posted:

In the U.S., every player has to wear a full cage throughout junior hockey and throughout college. I don't hear about any of those players getting called for high-sticking penalties more often than others. I've worn a cage my entire life, and I still learned to keep my loving stick down and to not take slapshots into crowds of people during meaningless games.

Also, anyone complaining that wearing a cage screws up his vision is full of poo poo. The slits are so thin that as long as you have two functional eyes, you see around them. Hold a pencil at arm's length. Can you see around it? Of course you can -- you have binocular vision. I prefer a cage to a half-shield because ice shavings and fog can obscure your vision; that doesn't happen while wearing a goddamn cage.

Yeah, you want to keep your stick down because theoretically if you're on the ice you should be in a position where the puck could be near you at some point and you want to be ready for that, and you won't be if your stick is over waist high.

And also, I literally don't even notice having a cage on unless the puck is in my feet. And looking down at the puck in your feet, even without a cage, is just asking for someone to plaster you and gently caress up your neck. I've always hated the shields too, because fog fucks up my day far more than any cage ever has.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

gigabitnokie posted:

I've heard pizza is a go-to but I get queasy even thinking about eating pizza minutes before getting on the ice. I'd personally go with an orange or something like that but I've always felt like my hydration level was always the biggest difference maker in how long I can skate at a decent level.

Or one of those gel-packs that runners use.

Yeah I usually stick with something relatively light between games on the same day, if I even eat at all. Just drink a lot of water, regardless.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Also, last night we kept the all-ringer team to 3 goals and 20 shots. It was the first time throughout the whole season their shot total has been that low. Their first goal was lame/wicked too. Cannon slapper from behind the blue line that was a top shelf laser. Sick scrub league shot bro :hf:

Sooo, speaking of this team, they were in the B division of the tournament that was this past weekend at Skatetown. My team (the women's one) picked up a couple of dudes from drop-in that are well, pretty good, honestly, and absolutely throttled them something like 7-2. They complained and whined and bitched about one of our good players.

Now THAT is irony...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Yeah, it's Skatetown in Roseville.

We currently play on Sunday nights, anywhere form 6:45p to 10:15p. If they split the Bronze league next season, I'm not sure how the schedule will look. Rumor is that we'd still play on Sunday nights. In addition, we try to hit up Saturday morning stick times ~8am. Our goalie is a coach, so he runs us through some drills. It's not required by any means, just a way to get some extra skating in.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're doing with schedule. From what I've been hearing there may end up being a trickle-down effect of some changes in the higher divisions on the lower ones. Some teams that are currently in Gold A are considering dropping down to Gold B, for some reason that I was only really half listening to but I think involves some kind of Gold A/Platinum league thing. That would make some Gold B teams go to Silver A, etc etc.

I think we're committed to Silver B again for this upcoming Fall season, but it'll be interesting to see how things shake out. We had considered dropping to Bronze A but I think have mostly decided to stay where we are.

I can't afford 2 league fees but if your team needs subs or someone to split a season with someone else or whatever, I might be willing to come out and play. Always cool to meet more people at the rink. :v:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 19, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

StyleFresh posted:

That reminds me since that'll probably factor into my where-to-play decision. How much do you guys pay per season in Roseville? Also poser and co. in San Jose?

$7050 for spring/summer for team fee, 20 games. It will be more for fall/winter because there are more games and also because they will raise fees again cause they are dbags.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

StyleFresh posted:

Ah cool, I just recently started playing again but played for a very long time before that so I might try starting out in a higher division if I can find a team that'll take me. I would love to sub for you guys if you end up ever needing anyone since the location is pretty convenient, though, I'll PM you my contact info and if you give me a day or two advance notice I will try my hardest to make it when you're short!

I know some people in higher divisions who might be looking for players but only if you're not a dbag. ;)

edit: Know team captains in both Gold divisions and both Silver divisions.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

gco posted:

Dear people who shoot the puck,

I'm a goalie for some private lessons with one of the coaches from Yale and occasionally he asks what shooter's consistencies are. To this, I have few responses beyond "he has a quick release," "he doesn't cut across as much as he can," or "he tends to score a lot :downs:." What are some legitimate tendencies beyond what I mentioned and like picking corners/going 5-hole a lot? When I can't come up with answers, it worries me because it means I'm not paying as much attention as I could be.

Sincerely,
A goalie

I assume what he's looking for are things like release and whether the person tends to favor a certain direction or shot or if they have a certain move they like to do or a certain area of the ice they prefer to shoot from. Any decent shooter is probably pretty good at looking a goalie off where they're shooting. Does the player tend to let go pretty quick on a breakaway or will they hold on for awhile? Do they do anything that might signal they're going to hold on to it, etc.

It's really a pretty open ended question and it's designed to make you do just what you're doing - worry about paying attention to the shooting habits of certain good shooters on the other team so that you can stay a step ahead of them and anticipate what they might do instead of just being reactionary.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 20, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

ManicJason posted:

Circling instead of stopping is common in any new ice player, whether they came from roller or not.

While this may be true, it's easy to tell them apart because generally the people coming over from roller can skate a lot better than the true beginners but still do the circling thing rather than a stop and change direction.

Playing out here in CA was my first real exposure to the contingent of players that started on inline skates and transitioned over. Some of the best goal scorers and stickhandlers I know are roller-ice players, but what I've noticed in game situations is that they tend to try to do a lot themselves and don't have good "hockey sense." The latter is true of most beginners but the difference is that in a lot of cases I've seen the inline players don't actually care about developing it either. v:shobon:v

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I know a guy who's going to be coming to your team in the fall, HZ! He's pretty cool, a little odd but a cool dude.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Verman posted:

Most people don't lose their shot technique and if they do can get it back really quickly. Shooting is a mechanics thing, more than likely you've practiced your shot enough as a kid that you know how it should feel. Thats my favorite part about sticks and pucks sessions is that kids will work on their slapshot for 2 hours but never skate or stick handle.

I am and always have been the opposite of those people, haha. I go to stick and puck and work on my stickhandling and skating. I also basically lived at the rink as a kid and skated all the time anyway. As a result, when I came back to playing after some time off I was in the complete opposite situation as Vital Signs - skating came back to me really quick but my stickhandling and shooting took a bit longer to get back. It was really frustrating to outskate my stickhandling ability all the time cause I used to be able to do it really well!

But yeah, what I've realized is that I will never get quite back to my former playing level because I just can't dedicate the same time and energy to it as I could when I was in high school and undergrad. I go to the outdoor rink and skate and shoot pucks a couple times a week if I can, play my league games every week and tournaments a few times a year and go to my team's practices when we have them (once or twice a month) and that's all I can really do. For the love of the game, pretty much...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

toxicsunset posted:

There's so man penguins fans on these forums yet no pittsburgh hockey goons. Such bullshit

I'm a Penguins fan who played in Pittsburgh when I was a little kid but I live in CA now sooo...

We had five games this weekend. League game and tournament game Friday night, tournament game Saturday afternoon, tournament game this morning and league playoff a couple of hours ago. Last Friday I hosed up something in my left shoulder/neck to the point where I couldn't even lift it up last Saturday. In our league playoff game tonight, my arm felt like it was going to fall out of the socket and I was dead tired and as a result I could NOT control the puck and my passes/shots had no zing on them at all.

I did get a goal in the tournament though. It was cool.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

How many players do you guys have on your roster?

I went with 14 skates (3 lines + 5D) And it seemed like a good idea at the start but a lot of people ended up missing games. I was thinking about going with like 16-17 guys and have the extra 3-4 guys as part time players.

We rostered the max number in our league, but had a rank order of 3 forward lines and 2 defense pairs that got first choice (paid into the team fee). If any of us couldn't make it to a game our captain called in subs of the appropriate number and position such that we ended up with 3 forward lines and 2 defense pairs (subs paid per game). Some games we ended up with 2 centers and 3 pairs of wings, sometimes 3 centers and 2 pairs of wings. Couple times we rotated 5 defense if someone could make it last minute who didn't think they could. I think it worked well overall though.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^that is fine when all of your players are young and in good enough shape to have 2 lines of forwards, but we had at least 3 skilled players on my team who were good for a short shift but needed longer to recover in between. Ice time normally wasn't an issue for us - those of us who could handle more ice time went in for the players who couldn't and things balanced out okay in the end.

poser posted:

That's pretty much how we do things but a few players have Sharks season tickets so I think they will be missing ever more games during the winter. People want playing time but they also want cheap league fees.

Yeah that's basically the problem. A couple of our players did things like paid for half of the season and then subbed for the other half so that they only had to come up with half of a fee up front and then could pay as they played and ended up being first choice if we called in subs. And honestly I don't think there was a game where we didn't need at least one or two girls.

To be fair, our list of people we could call in was pretty extensive considering the criteria for being able to play with us was being female and at least half-decent, and a lot of girls we'd played with in the past on other teams were interested in seeing what our team was about.

Speaking of which, while we had a pretty good time for the most part in the beer league we were in, we decided as a team after our last women's tournament that we're not entering it again. I know it's a bit of a topic of contention around here, but we found that with the majority of teams in the league, the first time we played them (and usually won) the games were okay, but subsequent games were basically shitfests. Dudes came out with obvious intent to injure (taking out knees, slewfooting, etc) moreso than when any of us had been on co-ed teams before and as a result we ended up having to play a different type of game by the end of the season. Our objective was just to play together as a team and get stronger for our women's tournaments, but I think in the end it was pretty much a wash. If the league will let us pull out of the fall/winter league, we're going to. The money we pay is better put towards weekly team practices with monthly scrimmages against other area women's teams and the beer league teams we actually trust (of which there are a few).

Was fun for awhile though.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 11, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

the last signal... posted:

Has anyone tried using melatonin to help fall asleep after late night hockey games? Getting worried about having to do student teaching this fall.

Melatonin + 5-HTP works well for me.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Cats will do poo poo like that if they're mad at you. Good luck figuring out what they're mad about though. Everyone thinks cats are just dumb animals, but they can be pretty goddamn smart when it suits 'em.

They don't have to be mad at you to do it - just being stressed in general can cause that kind of thing. Some illnesses can also lead to a change in elimination habits like urinating outside of the box so if the cat does it again somewhere else you should look into a vet visit, poser. :)

Also make sure you clean the gear with something with an enzymatic cleaner in it because the cat will continue to go in that spot if it still smells like pee.

Also HZ why anyone would get a Jack Russell Terrier is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Chemmy posted:

Seconded. All the cool people moved out here.

I've lived here for 4 years. :cool: